Cobra's new King F9 Speedback Driver, Woods, Hybrids and Irons (NO BUY SELL TRADE POSTS)

GolfWRX

Matt Blois from TXG and Michael Newton commented similar with regards how open the club looks by the ball. For the average golfer, if they don't notice the open face, it'll certainly wreak havoc with their game.

Still disappointed that the ST180 didn't work out. Blue was a lovely colour but just could not get it out there in any configuration.

I hit the 180 Great with a KKDC XT in it. Monster. I just find it a bit shallow faced. I seem to Find top half of the face too often. When I strike it well it’s definitely as long as anything I’ve ever hit. I LOVE the Blue. It is damn noisy however. A bit obnoxious in covered stalls really. If it were 1/4 inch taller faced It would be really exceptional for me.

Cobra even says their driver is draw biased in standard setting. By moving weight forward you are not all of a sudden going to get a fade biased driver as the the weight is in the middle of the club and not towards the toe. Their marketing on that one is BS. They would need to have 2-4* flatter lie settings to encourage a fade setting.

Just remember that lie angle has small impact on ball flight in a driver. PXG drivers have a 60 degree lie angle according to the website so not sure how much difference that driver is from the Cobra.

In the end every swing is different and each club reacts differently to golfers swings. I'm more inclined to believe face angle is the culprit here.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

Cobra even says their driver is draw biased in standard setting. By moving weight forward you are not all of a sudden going to get a fade biased driver as the the weight is in the middle of the club and not towards the toe. Their marketing on that one is BS. They would need to have 2-4* flatter lie settings to encourage a fade setting.

You’ll have to go back and read about why the F6 track was at an angle. Long story short weight forward in center of clubhead will be more fade biased than same weight at rear of clubhead.

If I remember correctly something to do with how the driver is delivered to the ball during the swing.

Srixon Z565, Miyazaki Kaula Kori 6x
Cobra F9 Aldila Tour Blue 75x
Cobra F7 19* and 23* hybrids
Cobra Amp Forged 5-PW KBS Tour S+
Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
Spider Tour Red

Playing this masterpiece Th. 75 degrees in January in the Blue Ridge Moutains of VA?? Are you kidding me. Water on 14 of the 18 holes so the F9 better fly true tomorrow as it's a firm test of good driving and putting if you're ever in the area this is a hidden gem!

https://www.oldemill.net

Played their last year in the Va-WV team matches, pretty solid track, wish I could say my golf was as solid that weekend! That 10th hole though, played that into about a 20+ mph wind from an elevated tee...carrying the water from the back tee became questionable for some.

First day it was almost 70, second day it was mid 40’s with a 25-30mph wind...

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Ventus Blue TR 6X

3 Wood: AI Smoke Triple Diamond w/ Ventus Black 7X

5 Wood: Titleist TSi2 18* w/Aldila Rogue White 130 80 TX

Irons: Titleist T-200 3 iron w/Ventus Black 9TX

Titleist T-150 4-6 w/Project X 6.5

Titleist T-100S 7-PW w/Project X 6.5

Wedges: SM9 Raw 52F & SM9 58T grind w/Project X 6.0

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5

Never far away: Custom Slighter Tacoma

You’ll have to go back and read about why the F6 track was at an angle. Long story short weight forward in center of clubhead will be more fade biased than same weight at rear of clubhead.

If I remember correctly something to do with how the driver is delivered to the ball during the swing.

Yeah it's pretty much on the website for the F9 that explains that. Also the lie angle on the F9 9* head is 57.5. The PXG the Arthur states is 60* lie angle so he's confused or just trolling. you're correct lie angle matters the least on driver and the most as you move up through the bag. Sounds like swing, shaft, and address issues.

Playing this masterpiece Th. 75 degrees in January in the Blue Ridge Moutains of VA?? Are you kidding me. Water on 14 of the 18 holes so the F9 better fly true tomorrow as it's a firm test of good driving and putting if you're ever in the area this is a hidden gem!

Wow, that's a nice looking course. I'm jealous. Getting hit with another snownami here.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Played their last year in the Va-WV team matches, pretty solid track, wish I could say my golf was as solid that weekend! That 10th hole though, played that into about a 20+ mph wind from an elevated tee...carrying the water from the back tee became questionable for some.

First day it was almost 70, second day it was mid 40’s with a 25-30mph wind...

I'll shoot you a private email as one of our 4 plays in the VA/WV and VA/NC matches. I'm sure yall are friends. Should be an awesome day. I hover at 0 the other 3 are +2 +3 and our mutual friend +5/6. Got to get them to move up a set no desire to play the tips with my game.

Got my 18 gram weight yesterday. Head weighs in at 203 grams now. Today I went back to the range and worked a good bit on wedges and mid irons. I grabbed the F9 after a while and had forgotten I had added weight. The first 3 balls were bullets and even a bit lower than I am used to. Very easy to square up the face with the Tensei Pro now. I had forgotten I added weight but I knew something was different. Made me realize that tweaking like that definitely makes a difference.

On another note, I did spend a good bit of time with the F9 Fairway. I have the original shaft and a Kaili. I just cannot get that club to work as well for me as my Rogue/AD IZ combo. I have played 2 rounds with it and hit some decent shots. I want to give it a chance but after spending the time today on the range with it and the Callaway side by side, you can look for it on the BST this weekend. Its just not going to replace the Rogue so I might as well move on.

What is your playing length with the 18g?

Mine is 45" playing length grip included so shaft length is just over 44.75". It swing weights to D6.5 with the Tensei 70 which is a bit tip heavy. With the Smoke its right around D5.

PXG states a 60* lie angle and F9 is at 57.5...you need to go back and reargue the reason you're duck hooking the F9. As I suggested earlier it's a swing, shaft, address issue or you're just trolling. Either way your logic is way off in your original assessment of using terms like "hook machine". Good luck on your quest for straighter drives.

Yeah it's pretty much on the website for the F9 that explains that. Also the lie angle on the F9 9* head is 57.5. The PXG the Arthur states is 60* lie angle so he's confused or just trolling. you're correct lie angle matters the least on driver and the most as you move up through the bag. Sounds like swing, shaft, and address issues.

I am not "confused", no need for personal attacks here.

Problem is you guys believe everything you read. Lie angle is measure differently by different manufacturers. I set the PXG and Cobra side by side and Cobra was way upright vs. PXG. The fitter at club champion even said so himself.

And lastly to those who say lie angle has very little affect in drivers are very wrong. It is exactly the best way to dial in draw/fade ball flight. Move it upright and you get draw biased. Make it flatter and you get fade biased. Moving Lie angle makes huge

Difference in drivers.

So much misinformation here. I really recommend doing some reading and using golfwrx for the invaluable research that some members post.

Not a Cobra guy, but really my only complaint is cosmetic. The matte into the shiny just doesnt work for my eye, but damn the club does its job. Just waiting on the Mizunos to show up to pull the trigger potentially on something new (Cobra included) if they can unseat my Honma.

Saw the ST190 last night at my local shop. Unfortunately stopped in 10 minutes before closing.

Beautiful golf club. I hit 5 balls before it became obvious they wanted to close. Very nice sound. Rivals the F9.

One thing that freaked me out a little. Its VERY open faced in the neutral setting that I Hit it in. Extremely different than the ST180 Ive got that sets up a touch closed. I actually didnt like how open it was. I really like a completely neutral look at address. Ill have to check it more closely again later. Maybe I can goof with the settings.

For those that like an open face, they should fall in love with it. I think its a mistake because most people dont need any help leaking the ball right.

Perfect, I was hoping it would sit open.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Problem is you guys believe everything you read. Lie angle is measure differently by different manufacturers. I set the PXG and Cobra side by side and Cobra was way upright vs. PXG. The fitter at club champion even said so himself.

And lastly to those who say lie angle has very little affect in drivers are very wrong. It is exactly the best way to dial in draw/fade ball flight. Move it upright and you get draw biased. Make it flatter and you get fade biased. Moving Lie angle makes huge

Difference in drivers.

So much misinformation here. I really recommend doing some reading and using golfwrx for the invaluable research that some members post.

No hard feelings dude. Just stating whats on the websites. Thought that would be more accurate than two strangers babbling about lie angles and how PXG was much flatter lie angle. PXG 60 Cobra 57.5. I'll go with what's stated from the mfg's and was refuting your claim that PXG is 4 degrees flatter. Thought you had it backwards. So anyways, apologies and I'll leave it up to others to get the facts from the specifications both mfg's provide for all to see.

2nd about lie affecting draw bias with drivers just going by what I've read from Tom Whishom in here. He seems to be pretty credible in that area and was doing my best to paraphrase what he's written about extensively. Not trying to create an issue here I just disagree with your statement as I disagree with your original argument that this club was a "hook machine" and it was partly due to the upright lie angle of the Cobra and you was recommending the PXG and stated it was much flatter. I'll give you the last word and agree to move on...

For those of you talking about lie angles and draw-fade settings, I just learned something from the TXG review of the F9 fairway. If you want fade settings instead of draw, you can use a opposite-handed adapter for that effect. So if you’re RH, get a LH adapter and draw becomes fade. (...if I’m understanding their point correctly). Has anyone here tried that before to positive effect?

Spring 2024

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx LS 5W 17.5° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx 4Hy 21° HZRDUS Smoke 80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° / Z585 6i-7i / Z785 8i-AW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56° 60°
SeeMore Mini Giant DF / Piretti Teramo / MannKrafted MA99 Proto

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/

For those of you talking about lie angles and draw-fade settings, I just learned something from the TXG review of the F9 fairway. If you want fade settings instead of draw, you can use a opposite-handed adapter for that effect. So if you’re RH, get a LH adapter and draw becomes fade. (...if I’m understanding their point correctly). Has anyone here tried that before to positive effect?

I'm not smart enough for that. The earlier string about the old adaptor vs the new adaptor with loft settings vs now the +1 and -1.5 and how to use that in the new heads with old shafts had me laughing and somewhat confused listening to people explain it. I just bought new :) I bet someone in here probably knows.

Difference in drivers.

I agree with you 100%. I play a fade and played the 16 m2 until December. I tended to lose drives right a good bit with that driver (0-1 cap). Don't know why it took me so long to do, but I set the 16 m2 in upright setting and started hitting it dead straight.

Demod the m4 in december and saw the same fade bias. Put it in upright setting and instant dead straight drives again.

G400 lst was a hook machine. Played a f8+ 5wood for 2 months. Went through 3 shafts with it...hook machine.

Some drivers are just more prone to draw or hook for some guys. Why it's important to demo before buying.

Difference in drivers.

I agree with you 100%. I play a fade and played the 16 m2 until December. I tended to lose drives right a good bit with that driver (0-1 cap). Don't know why it took me so long to do, but I set the 16 m2 in upright setting and started hitting it dead straight.

Demod the m4 in december and saw the same fade bias. Put it in upright setting and instant dead straight drives again.

G400 lst was a hook machine. Played a f8+ 5wood for 2 months. Went through 3 shafts with it...hook machine.

Some drivers are just more prone to draw or hook for some guys. Why it's important to demo before buying.

And I agree with you 100% as well. For me the F9 Driver was a hook machine. Many others have had trouble losing it left as well. But some claim it is fade biased. So as you said, it is very important to get fit, as each driver will work differently and what for me is draw biased may turn out to be fade biased for someone else.

As far as lie angle goes, it is pretty much how OEM's set their adapters to "draw" or "fade" settings. If you take a Callaway Adapter, you will see that they have a "neutral" and "draw". Spoiler alert, the "draw" simply makes the lie angle more upright. That's it.

Titleist adapter same thing. their "more fade" setting is flatter lie. "more draw" is upright lie.

It really is as simple as that. Lie angle makes a huge difference when it comes to fade/draw bias of driver.

Anyone making a blanket statement this driver is a hook machine and trying to justify it by any means is just silly. Just the same as saying XYZ driver is fade biased and not a hook machine as well. If you have moved on to another driver that works better for you, that's great. This is the F9 thread.

Slightly off topic (albeit on topic about what we talked about earlier). Here is a very good post from a very knowledgeable golfwrx'er here on how to adjust a driver to fine tune your ball flight. This is for the Titleist TS2 and TS3, but the logic applies to all drivers (though some don't have the same adjustments available:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1650638-titleists-new-ts-2-ts-3-driver-shot-2018-us-open/page__st__1560#entry18138154

Has anyone compared the F9 against the PXG 0811X Gen 2 or the Honma 747 TW? Any thoughts and comparisons?

I've posted about the Honma driver a few times in different threads. If you're interested, search for "Honma", author "nsxguy".

Meanwhile, I've tried the Cobra 3 or 4 times now and cannot keep it under control. Have used a couple of different shafts. I don't find it particularly biased either way and i tried it with the heavier weight forward and back.

Distance-wise, on my best strikes, the F9 is tied with the Epic Flash and the Honma 747 (either one). On average well struck balls the Honma is more consistently longer by a few yards. On small(?) misses the Honma is much better. I find the middle of the face considerably more often with the Honma.

Dispersion-wise, for the F9, I can't keep the ball in the "fairway". Pull hook one left, block one right and 1 down the middle. Very inconsistent. With the Honma, I am very consistent, hitting slight draws with low spin. I get very similar results with both models.

Haven't hit the G410 yet but it looks like it's between the Epic Flash and the Honma for me. :dntknw:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I hit mine for the first time tonight with two different shafts.

• 9° with an 18g in front and 2g in rear
  • Standard adapter setting
  • Shaft 1: PX Smoke 60 6.5, tipped 1" playing 45 inches
  • Shaft 2: KKXD 60TX, tipped 1" playing at 45 inches

I fully expected to overdraw the Smoke after reading it had more play than the original Hzrdus Black which I also played for a short while also tipped one inch. To my surprise I hit it relatively straight but as expected it's a bit too lively for my tastes. It also seemed to fly higher than I anticipated. I hit about 10 balls with it and don't think I overdrew (aka a Golfwrx "hooked") any of them.

Next I tried the KKXD which has been my gamer (in a 70TX with Rogue SubZ) since mid-summer. Hit about 20 or so shots and again no overdraws even when trying. If anything I think it might be a bit fade biased for me which is a good thing. I did again notice a higher launch, but that could very well just be the swing I had today. I am a low handicap but not overly consistent. The lie angle, to my eye, seems flatter than the Rogue.

Overall I am very pleased and I think I will game it immediately. As others have mentioned it is surprisingly forgiving even with what seems to be a shallower face. I will hopefully get on a trackman in the next month or so. Will probably try and get another shaft similar to KKXD just to keep trying stuff. Maybe a DF. Any other recommendations?

I’m sure it’s been posted, but did a quick search and couldn’t find it. What’s the head weight of the F9?

[b]WITB[/b]
Cobra F9 - Rogue White 130 6X 
Cobra F8 3-4 - Rogue White 130 8X
Cobra F9 19* - Tensei Pro White 90X
Srixon ZX7 4-PW - PX LZ 6.5

Titleist SM7 Black 50,54,58
TM Spider Tour Black

Mine weighed in at 198.2g

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

Just hit the driver. Not sure about it yet. Feel is muted. Gotta admit it looks a little shallower faced than I’d like but it was a good showing. 9 deg turned down to 8, heavy weight front, Atmos Black 6x And was getting 156-158 ball speeds, launch 15 deg, but still like 2900 spin average of about 30 swings.

Obviously I can work on my path but it’s spinning a bit more than I’d like and I don’t usually go up to the 70g weight class.

What's your club head speed? I have similar ball speed numbers and slightly lower launch angle (14.2) but was in the Atmos Black 7X. Just had my shop order the Atmos Black 6X and the Smoke. Have a feeling one of those 2 shafts will work a little better.

High 100s, but on GC2 today pretty sure calculated and only measuring ball flight. On TM usually 107-108. Averaged 110 at a fitting for M1 440 2 years ago and that’s pretty much my max. Wouldn’t be swinging harder on a course.

I could definely work on my path to bring my spin down.

The 6.0 smoke was spinning over 3000 for me. Felt less predictable than the Atmos 6x and they didn’t have a 6.5 to try apples to apples. A couple with the smoke were bombed but dispersion was left/right/left/right. Atmos kept me left of midline pretty consistently.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1237994-my-carls-golfland-contest-fitting-experience-grab-a-drink/"]My Carl's Golfland / GolfWRX WITB story[/url]

Cobra F9, Atmos Black TS 6X
Titleist TS3 3w, Atmos Black TS 7s

Titleist 510 3i Atmos Black TS 9x
Srixon U85 4, z785 5-PW Modus 120x
Titleist Vokey SM5 50F/54M/58M, DG TIS400
EVNRoll ER5

when I got a quote from DD I broke down and ordered... white 9* ATMOS black 7

here's to the hype, lets hope its worth it

2019:
G400LST 8.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 125MSI 60 stiff
Cobra 3/4 f9; Atmos Blue TS 7s
Cobra 4/5 f8+; Atmos Red TS 8s