Cobra's new King F9 Speedback Driver, Woods, Hybrids and Irons (NO BUY SELL TRADE POSTS)

GolfWRX

Just got fitted into the f9 and thought I’d share my findings below.

Handicap: between +1 and 1

Swing speed: old driver 116mph with f9 119mph

Old driver: 9* Ping G driver w/ tour 65x

Fit into: 10.5 f9 with 6.5 smoke shaft

Despite my swing speed I have always been classed as low launch/low spin for a stock shot.

Over the last 2 years nothing’s been able to beat the ping out. Cobra f8+ At 10.5 Beat it out in terms of ball speed and launch but not dispersion last year, but didn’t pull the trigger as it went a little too left on me.

Went into the fitting and started with my ping with pretty solid numbers for me. Around 116 SS, 9* launch. 260m carry (I only care about carry due to my courses soft conditions)

Started with the 9 degree fastback which yielded faster ball speed and more distance, but was a little low for my liking. Moved to the 10.5 degree head and voila! Carry distance went up to 270m and launch went up 3 degrees to 12.1* with spin staying the same as the ping (around 2000). Ball speed was up 3mph on the ping.

Never thought I’d move away from ping due to the forgiveness, but this f9 is the real deal. Low heel shots weren’t too far off centre and retained great ball speed.

Any questions please shoot them through!

Replying to my own post.

Unfortunately I had to let the F9 go.

Played 3 rounds + a range session with it and I couldn't keep it off the left side of the course.

Tried lead tape, opening the face but nothing worked. Violent snap hooks.

Had to setup like I was trying to hit a 40 yard slice to keep relatively straight and doing that it felt like a glancing blow.

Thanks a lot for this honest post. I really wanted to like the F9, but I lost every single ball way left on two different days at club champion. Weight forward, kiyoshi black shaft, etc. Nothing helped to keep it from going left. Hence I bought the PXG driver instead. It was very anti left and allowed for even more anti left settings on adapter.

Played twice this weekend with the 2nd F9. This one has the Pro White 70. For me, this has eliminated the lefts. My best strikes are baby fades with now having to be careful on bigger right misses. Not sure about the head being really draw biased. I think its much more of a function of shaft head combo for your swing. The Smoke was much easier for me to get to go left. One of my playing partners also has an F9 and he is a plus handicap. He cannot make his go left with the shaft he used in his M2. He searching for a efferent shaft now as well. I also tried my Graphite Design AD BB which I played for over a year in the Ping G400 and it did not work well at all in the F9. Loving this club though. The new F9 definitely sounds better than my first head. Much less muted and more of a metallic sound than the previous one.

On a less positive note, the jury is definitely out on the 3 wood. Just having a hard time finding the center with it and again it could be the shaft. Surprised but the head is not a high launching head for me. Very similar to my Rogue SZ 13.5 in this aspect. The Cobra is very easy to hit off the deck but I am inconsistent with it off the tee. Its the exact opposite with the Callaway. Definitely don't hit it as much from the fairway on my home course so I have a decision to make. Going to give the Cobra a good week of range time and try it again next weekend. Supposed to be in the 70s most of the week here in GA.

Sooo…...Here is my for what it's worth post.

I jumped on the F9 bandwagon for 3 reasons 1. I hit about 10 balls with one indoors and liked it.

2.All the good reviews.

3. All the good comments here on the forum.

I drove to my buddy's golf shop today, who is a pretty good fitter, not for a fitting, but to hit some balls on the monitor,

and buy the 10.5 with atmos black that he had in stock...Unlike I normally do which is grab the driver I want to hit and start swinging,

he had me warm up with my current driver (g400 LS 10.5) I went in thinking that over the years my club head speed had dropped to

around 105 or 106, which was the case with my first 10 swings which is all I normally take.....Surprisingly, after about 8 more swings,

I was at 111 and then on up to 116.....Just telling you that so you know where I am coming from.

Now I hit the cobra 10.5 with the atmos and quickly discover that that is not going to work...High spin and going left. Hit it with weights in both positions.

He put in the Smoke stiff shaft and I hit it well.

I now hit the m5 with the same smoke shaft and then some more with my g400 LS.

I am rambling here so let me get to the point....At least for now, I am off the F9 bandwagon.

Here is what I found with the three clubs...…..accuracy- All about equal. Ball speed and clubhead speed-All about equal Sound-I can't tell hitting indoors.

Feel-I like them all, although when hit perfectly, the cobra feels fantastic. Spin-Cobra was the highest and m5 was the lowest. My spin with the m5 was between 119 and 129...Obviously, my swing was not as good as I would like Distance-M5 was the longest.

I was really impressed on the adjustability of the TM......Every adjustment seems to really make a difference.

Not expecting anyone to make any decisions based on this, just wanted to relate my experience.....By the way, he had his X stiff shafts lent out, so I wasn't

able to try them. One more thing. I have never been a numbers guy and feel the true test for me is outside, preferably on a course.

How did you keep the ball in the air with spin of 119(0) to 129(0)?

Sooo…...Here is my for what it's worth post.

I jumped on the F9 bandwagon for 3 reasons 1. I hit about 10 balls with one indoors and liked it.

2.All the good reviews.

3. All the good comments here on the forum.

I drove to my buddy's golf shop today, who is a pretty good fitter, not for a fitting, but to hit some balls on the monitor,

and buy the 10.5 with atmos black that he had in stock...Unlike I normally do which is grab the driver I want to hit and start swinging,

he had me warm up with my current driver (g400 LS 10.5) I went in thinking that over the years my club head speed had dropped to

around 105 or 106, which was the case with my first 10 swings which is all I normally take.....Surprisingly, after about 8 more swings,

I was at 111 and then on up to 116.....Just telling you that so you know where I am coming from.

Now I hit the cobra 10.5 with the atmos and quickly discover that that is not going to work...High spin and going left. Hit it with weights in both positions.

He put in the Smoke stiff shaft and I hit it well.

I now hit the m5 with the same smoke shaft and then some more with my g400 LS.

I am rambling here so let me get to the point....At least for now, I am off the F9 bandwagon.

Here is what I found with the three clubs...…..accuracy- All about equal. Ball speed and clubhead speed-All about equal Sound-I can't tell hitting indoors.

Feel-I like them all, although when hit perfectly, the cobra feels fantastic. Spin-Cobra was the highest and m5 was the lowest. My spin with the m5 was between 119 and 129...Obviously, my swing was not as good as I would like Distance-M5 was the longest.

I was really impressed on the adjustability of the TM......Every adjustment seems to really make a difference.

Not expecting anyone to make any decisions based on this, just wanted to relate my experience.....By the way, he had his X stiff shafts lent out, so I wasn't

able to try them. One more thing. I have never been a numbers guy and feel the true test for me is outside, preferably on a course.

How did you keep the ball in the air with spin of 119(0) to 129(0)?

Sorry.....1900 to 2900.

@300_Straight

That’s where the problem is for me, I don’t like overly heavy drivers, they don’t feel comfortable swinging. I just checked the swingweight, with the 18g weight and Tensei Pro White and it’s right about D-6.5, I don’t have a 14g to check with at the moment but if you’re going by the thought that 2g of Head weight equals 1sw then I’m looking at around D-4 or 4.5 with the 14g weight which I what I used today and that still feels uncomfortable.

My previous driver set up was a Tour Issue M1 and that was around D1-D2 which is a comfortable preference.

I couldn’t imagine going any heavier and feeling good about it.

Oh okay. Is there a way for you to get it to D1-D2? I would hate for you to get discouraged or even get rid of the head IF the fix could be as simple as a swing weight change. Of course, if the head is not a good fit then it's not a good fit.

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

Unfortunately, I have bought enough shafts over the years to learn a few things about my swing and new equipment. I basically have about 4 premium shafts with Callaway adapters,4 premium shafts with Cobra adapters, and the rest with no adapter. It has been interesting to see that a shaft that worked really well for me with one head, didn't necessarily work well with another head, even if the weight of the head was the same. I was very surprised by this. I typically go through 2-3 shafts, before finding the one that works best with a new head. Some people get lucky, and their go to shaft works well for them in any head, but that has not consistently been the case for me.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

@300_Straight

Thats where the problem is for me, I dont like overly heavy drivers, they dont feel comfortable swinging. I just checked the swingweight, with the 18g weight and Tensei Pro White and its right about D-6.5, I dont have a 14g to check with at the moment but if youre going by the thought that 2g of Head weight equals 1sw then Im looking at around D-4 or 4.5 with the 14g weight which I what I used today and that still feels uncomfortable.

My previous driver set up was a Tour Issue M1 and that was around D1-D2 which is a comfortable preference.

I couldnt imagine going any heavier and feeling good about it.

Oh okay. Is there a way for you to get it to D1-D2? I would hate for you to get discouraged or even get rid of the head IF the fix could be as simple as a swing weight change. Of course, if the head is not a good fit then it's not a good fit.

I had ordered extra weights, 6-10-14g from Cobra, they just showed up in the mail this morning. Going to put each in and see where the weighting falls and which feels good, take them out and try. We’ve got a great string of weather this week, upper 60’s and low 70’s almost all week, but twin girls and one has come down with the flu so who knows if I will get out.

Won’t give up on the driver till I find a comfortable set up and can then see what happens

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Ventus Blue TR 6X

3 Wood: AI Smoke Triple Diamond w/ Ventus Black 7X

5 Wood: Titleist TSi2 18* w/Aldila Rogue White 130 80 TX

Irons: Titleist T-200 3 iron w/Ventus Black 9TX

Titleist T-150 4-6 w/Project X 6.5

Titleist T-100S 7-PW w/Project X 6.5

Wedges: SM9 Raw 52F & SM9 58T grind w/Project X 6.0

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5

Never far away: Custom Slighter Tacoma

anyone have or hit this with the Atmos Black 7s?

I have the Atmos TS Black 7x in mine.

Do you like it?

I have been testing a Pro White 70s in my Epic recently, really liking it, so the Atmos Black TS seemed best no upcharge option.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

@300_Straight

That’s where the problem is for me, I don’t like overly heavy drivers, they don’t feel comfortable swinging. I just checked the swingweight, with the 18g weight and Tensei Pro White and it’s right about D-6.5, I don’t have a 14g to check with at the moment but if you’re going by the thought that 2g of Head weight equals 1sw then I’m looking at around D-4 or 4.5 with the 14g weight which I what I used today and that still feels uncomfortable.

I couldn’t imagine going any heavier and feeling good about it.

What about trying a backweighted grip? I know a few people that have gone this route and had success. I personally would not go too light with the head weights because that will alter the performance characteristics. Below is a quick link for reference.... Not that you have to go this exact route as I know there are also internal weights for the butt end of the shaft as well. Just throwing ideas your way...

https://www.golfworks.com/boccieri-golf-secret-grip/p/bg0001/?

anyone have or hit this with the Atmos Black 7s?

I have the Atmos TS Black 7x in mine.

Do you like it?

I have been testing a Pro White 70s in my Epic recently, really liking it, so the Atmos Black TS seemed best no upcharge option.

I like it better than any of the other shafts I’ve ever hit. It’s super stiff and doesn’t really feel like it’s loading which helps me feel like I can really get after it without having a delay in the head.

I tested the Tensei white too and it’s good but I like the Atmos better.

Sam- I have been waiting for your review of the F-9. Is it significantly better than the F-8?

... Obviously these are just my personal opinions but I think the faster you swing, the more difference you will find. The look, feel and sound of the F9 are enough for me to make the change. That 3 day drive from Chicago was really rough on my back and I am still not swinging at 100% off the tee, but close enough to make some observations. I am playing new courses here in Phoenix so I can't say I am hitting it places I have never been, but the F9 is longer with less spin than my F8 and equally forgiving. I would hesitate to say it is "significantly" better with my 100mph swing. Better? Yes, but a few extra yards and around 100-200 less spin. Hopefully in another few weeks after feeling like myself again, I may find it performs even better but for now I would say the F9 is better than the F8, but not significantly better.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

Unfortunately, I have bought enough shafts over the years to learn a few things about my swing and new equipment. I basically have about 4 premium shafts with Callaway adapters,4 premium shafts with Cobra adapters, and the rest with no adapter. It has been interesting to see that a shaft that worked really well for me with one head, didn't necessarily work well with another head, even if the weight of the head was the same. I was very surprised by this. I typically go through 2-3 shafts, before finding the one that works best with a new head. Some people get lucky, and their go to shaft works well for them in any head, but that has not consistently been the case for me.

The difference in what works and what doesn't may be, at times, almost "microscopic" in nature.

If you've read this site for more than 6 weeks you will have seen someone recommend NOT ordering the head and shaft you hit the best but buying the actual DEMO itself. Not the worst advice I've ever heard,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Sam- I have been waiting for your review of the F-9. Is it significantly better than the F-8?

... Obviously these are just my personal opinions but I think the faster you swing, the more difference you will find. The look, feel and sound of the F9 are enough for me to make the change. That 3 day drive from Chicago was really rough on my back and I am still not swinging at 100% off the tee, but close enough to make some observations. I am playing new courses here in Phoenix so I can't say I am hitting it places I have never been, but the F9 is longer with less spin than my F8 and equally forgiving. I would hesitate to say it is "significantly" better with my 100mph swing. Better? Yes, but a few extra yards and around 100-200 less spin. Hopefully in another few weeks after feeling like myself again, I may find it performs even better but for now I would say the F9 is better than the F8, but not significantly better.

Sam, that is exactly what I found, the F9 being marginally better than my F8+. The F9 did outperform the Epic Flash and M6 as did the F8+.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Picked up the F9 with the stock Atmos Black 7x and figured this shaft would be good enough to determine how I felt about the F9.

1st round initial thought was how light the head felt. Hit a couple that were about the same distance as my current gamer, feel was pretty good. Hit a couple bad ones as well which was the result of a bad swing.

2nd round, I decided to put in a speeder 661 TX shaft I had laying around and tried that. Again, head felt light in the swing even though SW was right around D3 vs my gamer. Hit a few on the front 9 and finished the round playing my gamer.

It's a good driver but didn't see what the hype was about. To me it was similar to the F8+ in terms of performance. Ball speeds might be higher but I didn't see any more distance or accuracy vs what I'm gaming.

Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Tensei Pro White 70 TX
TM '17 M2 15* w/ Kurokage Dual Core 80 TX
TM P790 UDI 2 w/ KBS Tour 130x
Titleist 718 CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130x
Fourteen Raw RM 22 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610 Tour Black Nickel
Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura 6M[/b][/color][/font][/size][/font][/size]

The difference in what works and what doesn't may be, at times, almost "microscopic" in nature.

If you've read this site for more than 6 weeks you will have seen someone recommend NOT ordering the head and shaft you hit the best but buying the actual DEMO itself. Not the worst advice I've ever heard,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I tried to buy a demo club for this exact reason one time, but they wouldn't do it. I offered to pay full price and give them the new one, and the guy said he couldn't do it. I think they track the serial numbers on the demo clubs; it made me wonder if the demo clubs are purposefully chosen for being closer to the limit.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

I tried to buy a demo club for this exact reason one time, but they wouldn't do it. I offered to pay full price and give them the new one, and the guy said he couldn't do it. I think they track the serial numbers on the demo clubs; it made me wonder if the demo clubs are purposefully chosen for being closer to the limit.

The demo club belongs to the OEM until they release it for sale. Otherwise it will sometimes be returned to the vendor to be sold via another channel.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Sorry for posting these , but winter is killing me.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

After reading all the reviews and trying one in the store, I have one on order. I went with the Avalanche, and the Smoke 6.5. Great feeling driver and I think looks really great.

TM Stealth 2+ 10.5deg Hzrdus Smoke 4G Black 60 6.0

Titleist TSi2 16.5deg Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 6.0

TM Stealth 2+ 3 Hybrid Project X Black 80 stiff

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

SC Newport Select 34" (rotate them)

TM TP5X

10.5 lofted down to 9.5 still continues to be money. Round 2 today at noon 67 degrees....Yes Sir!!!

69 for a 3 under from the back tees on my home track today. 7 for 7 fairways on the front for a 36. 7 for 7 on the back nine and putter warmed up for a 33. Reset this to -1.5 loft and was throwing darts all day. Best round at my home track in 3 years. oh yeah it was 71 degrees today and a hint of wind.... Loving the F9 10.5 set to 9 with the best shaft for me in sometime! Round 3 tomorrow again.

https://www.golfthewestlake.com

After reading all the reviews and trying one in the store, I have one on order. I went with the Avalanche, and the Smoke 6.5. Great feeling driver and I think looks really great.

it took me 3 demos to actually fall for this club .first time in store tried the 6.0 smoke in 9 degree head and same as my previous driver. 2nd time my old shaft and an x shaft and nothing. 3rd time w atmos black and it kinda happened. Very strait and added distance. Been fiddling with it and thought 9.5 -1 was the ticket. Dialed it down go -1.5 (9.0). Slight change in ball position and tee height on the range today and really dialed in after a dozen shots. Took to the course and duplicated what I had found. Just saying don't give up on this club just after trying it one time. I knew I had the perfect shaft but played w loft and set up and found it 100 percent today. Pretty much center clubface all day. :don't know my avg distance today and don't care a great deal as I play hilly courses, up then down. Uphill 243-252 drives. Downhill 300 and 282. Flatter ones 255-265. It's a great head .I like about 2500 spin and guessing I'm in that 2300-2700 range depending on contact, pretty much in my sweet spot at 101-105 as avg. Good luck and ps love the feel of this driver.

10 yards plus for me and significantly more accurate but I'm comparing the hazardous 76g yellow 6.0 F8+ at 9.5 vs F9 9.0 Atmos TS Black 6s. Not apples to apples but pretty big change for me. Better shaft fit for me and I'm certain in my case the head is also an improvement. Maybe I need to try the TPx like Rickie and find some more:-)

first time in store tried the 6.0 smoke in 9 degree head

How would you compare your Atmos Black stiff to the Smoke 6.0 in terms of spin, feel, etc?

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

first time in store tried the 6.0 smoke in 9 degree head

How would you compare your Atmos Black stiff to the Smoke 6.0 in terms of spin, feel, etc?

To be completely honest, I was hitting high toe the first time in the GG in N. VA trying this club for about 10-15 hits with the smoke. Moved to a 7x Atmos and didn't fair any better. Was hitting my F8+ just as well if not better. I thought blah not really much of a difference. Went back in and put my HZerdous yellow in the F9 head and again about similar results. 3rd time my home club pro had the Atmos 6s TS Black in a demo 10.5 and it just fit perfectly. For me it feels an in betweener shaft a hard stiff or a loose X if that makes sense. Don't really know the profile of either of these but dispersion flight and feel were perfect for me. If I was going to say anything for me it would be the tip was a little stiffer feeling between the 2 shafts as I tried the smoke 6.0 also that day but in the 9.0 head at my club. I was immediately drawn to the Atmos and it's really what sold me on the club. I wish I could help more but others in here with more shaft knowledge may chime in. I'm strickly a feel player and visual ball flight golfer. I guess that's from starting as a 10 year old in the late 70's.