Justin Rose to Honma

USMgolfer1

Every year this happens and people talk about money as if there's a tremendous amount being thrown around in these deals, but no one ever seems to know the numbers. Does anyone actually know the figures involved here? I always feel like we overestimate the value of these deals.

Pat Perez talked about this recently, might if been Ryan Palmer can't remember. Either way he said it's best to just play what you like and get tournament results. You can make the same amount in a good finish or two, why risk results being forced to play something.

I recently read the Ryan Palmer Q&A where he talks club contracts, figures are mentioned:

http://www.golfwrx.c...pment-contract/

The numbers that Ryan Palmer gets offered compared to what Justin Rose gets offered are in different stratosphere's.

Of course but equally the numbers Rose will be getting won't be near Woods and Rory either. Many levels, its an interesting reference point to see what a player like Ryan Palmer is offered.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every year this happens and people talk about money as if there's a tremendous amount being thrown around in these deals, but no one ever seems to know the numbers. Does anyone actually know the figures involved here? I always feel like we overestimate the value of these deals.

Pat Perez talked about this recently, might if been Ryan Palmer can't remember. Either way he said it's best to just play what you like and get tournament results. You can make the same amount in a good finish or two, why risk results being forced to play something.

I recently read the Ryan Palmer Q&A where he talks club contracts, figures are mentioned:

The numbers that Ryan Palmer gets offered compared to what Justin Rose gets offered are in different stratosphere's.

Of course but equally the numbers Rose will be getting won't be near Woods and Rory either. Many levels, its an interesting reference point to see what a player like Ryan Palmer is offered.

Rose will probably be in the top 5 highest paid in terms of off course money. He'll (Rose) probably get around $15M/year so he's a lot closer to apples to apples with Rory than Ryan Palmer is with him.

I have the Tour World 440 driver and the Tour World Forged lob wedge bent to 62 degrees.

Both very welcome additions to the bag.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Rose will probably be in the top 5 highest paid in terms of off course money. He'll (Rose) probably get around $15M/year so he's a lot closer to apples to apples with Rory than Ryan Palmer is with him.

Sure, for me its guess work I have no definitive insight.

I'd imagine Rory, Phil, Tiger and Spieth are out in front with a collection behind them that includes Rose as well as DJ, Kopeka, Fowler, JT etc. to name a few.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

I'd imagine Rory, Phil, Tiger and Spieth are out in front with a collection behind them that includes Rose as well as DJ, Kopeka, Fowler, JT etc. to name a few.

And way down that list in a different universe is Ryan Palmer.

I like how these celebrity net worth sites just put whatever they want for numbers. wikinetworth has Brooks Koepka's net worth at $8 as of the end of August. I think he's at $23M in just tournament earnings alone.

I like how these celebrity net worth sites just put whatever they want for numbers. wikinetworth has Brooks Koepka's net worth at $8 as of the end of August. I think he's at $23M in just tournament earnings alone.

That does not mean he's worth 23M today in assets.

I don't know, Rose has to be getting stupid money from Honma. They have deep pockets.

That does not mean he's worth 23M today in assets.

Plus endorsements he's probably made conservatively $50M. I didn't say he's worth $23M, although he's probably worth more than 23, I pointed out how comical it is that they have him listed at $8M for net worth.

I think people are underestimating Rose's value. Olympic Gold Medalist, #1 in the world, top 10 machine, plus an overall well liked guy. Other than his missed cuts early as a pro you really can't say a bad thing about the guy, and even that isn't anything against him as a person. He's a perfect brand ambassador and it would make sense that he would get as close to Tiger or Rory money as anyone would given everything going on with this move.

Epic Speed LS 🔷🔷🔷 9* Hzrdus Hulk Smoke 6.5TX 
X Hot 3 Deep 14.5* Matrix Ozik 8M2 X Flex
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2 KBS 105X
T-MB 4 PX LS 7.0

Nike VR Pro Combo Pocket Cavity 5 Iron, 6-9 Blades Oban 125X
RTX Zip Core 46 Oban 125X

Vokey 50M KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 54V KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 60M KBS Tour 130X
Champions Choice Newport Plus MMT 135

Maybe he really likes the clubs?

Ok what if your going through a slump mid year and want to look down at a completely different club or another oem comes out with something great? Not worth giving it up for what Honma would be paying Rose.

I play a lot of golf with the SVP of Marketing for one of the OEMs and we talk about these things constantly less the specific numbers and people. It's more involved than just the clubs and probably the biggest part of a deal, especially for a guy with a family, is how many non-tournament events they are obligated to attend/host and how many commercials they have to shoot. The direction of the company including their approach to innovation is also something to consider.

Obviously there needs to be a comfort level with the equipment itself but you also need to consider that a guy like Rose who plays a very worldwide schedule and has a family needs to protect his time as much as anything.

I think one of the reasons we've seen DJ play at such a high level for so many years in a row is he isn't sponsored by a million different companies so he has a lot more time to either focus on golf or decompress. It may not seem like much but when you're trying to compete at the highest level and you have three extra sponsors that require 3-5 days of commitments that's a dozen days that you don't have to do what you need to do.

Finally a reason I would personally shy away from Taylormade is their never-ending short product cycles. I know they say a guy like Rose can play whatever TM product he wants but there is pressure there to keep playing the new releases and that has to get annoying.

their product cycles arent that short anymore.....not huge fan of TM but their drivers and fwys are on par with everyone else it seems...

Would say rose has to be close to rory or tiger....

Heck if it was my company I would bet on Rose finishing better than either of em... tiger has the needle, rory doesnt...or DJ, Spieth, Day.......they're all as good as their last season (tiger is all alone at top regardless of his finishes which from what hes accomplished rightly so)

ROSE is an outstanding ambassador for your brand....#1 and usually finishes top 10....polite, quiet and gets it done.....

Couldn't think of a better name for a brand

Honma already has a solid muscleback... just matter if tweaking it for him and maybe he already likes it way it is

I've hit their players tw727 cb and it was as good as anything else and felt great

Ok what if your going through a slump mid year and want to look down at a completely different club or another oem comes out with something great? Not worth giving it up for what Honma would be paying Rose.

I play a lot of golf with the SVP of Marketing for one of the OEMs and we talk about these things constantly less the specific numbers and people. It's more involved than just the clubs and probably the biggest part of a deal, especially for a guy with a family, is how many non-tournament events they are obligated to attend/host and how many commercials they have to shoot. The direction of the company including their approach to innovation is also something to consider.

Obviously there needs to be a comfort level with the equipment itself but you also need to consider that a guy like Rose who plays a very worldwide schedule and has a family needs to protect his time as much as anything.

I think one of the reasons we've seen DJ play at such a high level for so many years in a row is he isn't sponsored by a million different companies so he has a lot more time to either focus on golf or decompress. It may not seem like much but when you're trying to compete at the highest level and you have three extra sponsors that require 3-5 days of commitments that's a dozen days that you don't have to do what you need to do.

Finally a reason I would personally shy away from Taylormade is their never-ending short product cycles. I know they say a guy like Rose can play whatever TM product he wants but there is pressure there to keep playing the new releases and that has to get annoying.

their product cycles arent that short anymore.....not huge fan of TM but their drivers and fwys are on par with everyone else it seems...

Correct. People here (some out of touch and new wrx members) love to continually whine about the old TM product cycles while conveniently ignoring Callaway was right there or above TM with them in churning product. Fortunes change quickly in all industries. It wasn't that long ago that Callaway was thought to be dead in the water and ready to be bought out by another OEM, Many people here have short memories.

I am assuming thanks to this thread, I magically got a driver and lob wedge from Honma mailed to my house (thanks WRX), kind of creepy, but also very awesome. I’ve been using the TW440 for about a month now. If you have followed me on the forums, you know Driver is my bogey club (often quite literally).

The shape of the club is very old school. I said it earlier, it reminds me of an old Titleist driver. While it is loud, like metallic loud, when you stripe one it is a very satisfying sound.

The club is anti-left. You can baby draw it, but it mainly wants to go straight or right. If you are a hooker I recommend you give one a try. My miss is a low left hook (starting lessons next month, thanks Christmas).

For me Driver is now a weapon. It’s on par in terms of control as my fairway woods. I hit it 20 yards farther than my 2017 TM M-1. So to go from an average driving distance of 255 to 276 quite literally changes the game for me.

The TW Forged lob wedge is amazing and soft. If you took the branding off the club I would have assumed it was a Mizuno given how buttery it feels.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

I thought Rickie would be making more than Rose off course

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Would say rose has to be close to rory or tiger....

Heck if it was my company I would bet on Rose finishing better than either of em... tiger has the needle, rory doesnt...or DJ, Spieth, Day.......they're all as good as their last season (tiger is all alone at top regardless of his finishes which from what hes accomplished rightly so)

ROSE is an outstanding ambassador for your brand....#1 and usually finishes top 10....polite, quiet and gets it done.....

Couldn't think of a better name for a brand

Honma already has a solid muscleback... just matter if tweaking it for him and maybe he already likes it way it is

I've hit their players tw727 cb and it was as good as anything else and felt great

Rose is a fantastic brand ambassador and a terrific first signing as Honma forays into the US market. I think of him almost in an Adam Scott sort of way. Adam famously plays a set of Titleist irons many generations old, but there's not a better ambassador for a brand than him. Polite and a thorough professional. I look at Rose in the same way except that he consistently plays at a higher level these days.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Correct. People here (some out of touch and new wrx members) love to continually whine about the old TM product cycles while conveniently ignoring Callaway was right there or above TM with them in churning product. Fortunes change quickly in all industries. It wasn't that long ago that Callaway was thought to be dead in the water and ready to be bought out by another OEM, Many people here have short memories.

Am I missing something? When was the last year Taylormade didn't release at least two new drivers?

I love that I'm a newbie so I don't know anything about Taylormade or Callaway. I had no idea we were talking about Callaway but I may be wrong because I'm a newbie.

Am I missing something? When was the last year Taylormade didn't release at least two new drivers?

I love that I'm a newbie so I don't know anything about Taylormade or Callaway. I had no idea we were talking about Callaway but I may be wrong because I'm a newbie.

TaylorMade has cut down on their releases a bit. Yeah, they're going to release two every year but that's little fewer than what they were doing a few years ago.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

It will be interesting to see if he will play the Honma ball as well.

It has been reported that he won't, but I guess we'll find out int he next couple of weeks. Is Rose starting his 2019 schedule on the PGA Tour at Torrey Pines or on the European Tour?

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I am assuming thanks to this thread, I magically got a driver and lob wedge from Honma mailed to my house (thanks WRX), kind of creepy, but also very awesome. I’ve been using the TW440 for about a month now. If you have followed me on the forums, you know Driver is my bogey club (often quite literally).

The shape of the club is very old school. I said it earlier, it reminds me of an old Titleist driver. While it is loud, like metallic loud, when you stripe one it is a very satisfying sound.

The club is anti-left. You can baby draw it, but it mainly wants to go straight or right. If you are a hooker I recommend you give one a try. My miss is a low left hook (starting lessons next month, thanks Christmas).

For me Driver is now a weapon. It’s on par in terms of control as my fairway woods. I hit it 20 yards farther than my 2017 TM M-1. So to go from an average driving distance of 255 to 276 quite literally changes the game for me.

The TW Forged lob wedge is amazing and soft. If you took the branding off the club I would have assumed it was a Mizuno given how buttery it feels.

I just bought a TW 737 455 driver and feel is totally old school....it goes good just bit too heavy with pencil grip it feels like....vizard shaft feels fine just have to get balance right.....head has amazing shape and ballflight is higher and as long as anything....glued hodel has different feel for sure I believe

And yes I have to yet to snap hook this model but give it few more times as I've been able to snap almost anything left.....so far high blocks to the right when I was swinging for draw

Wow, he’s going to play Honma drivers, irons, and wedges.

“Company spokesman John Kawaja indicated that Rose is expected to play a Honma driver, forged irons and wedges. Rose, 38, is scheduled to start his year at the Desert Classic in Palm Springs, Jan. 17-20. Kawaja said that although the set makeup is not yet confirmed, Rose is under contract to play 10 Honma clubs. He said those clubs are likely to feature versions of models introduced late in 2018 in Japan. That group is expected to include the T//World TW747 driver; a prototype version of the forged cavity back T//World TW747 V in the 4- through 6-iron; and a prototype T//World 747 “Justin Rose” forged muscleback iron in the 7-iron through 9-iron. Rose also is expected to play custom prototype versions of the T//World TW forged wedges (47, 56 and 60 degrees).“

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/justin-rose-signs-with-honma-multi-year-10-club-deal-could-include-driver-irons-wedges

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I guess his fairways will still be TM?

Good luck to Rose. Can’t wait to see his WITB pics.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 10.5*
Fairway: TaylorMade M6 15*
Fairway: TaylorMade M2 18*
Irons: Titleist 718 T-MB 4 iron
Irons: Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX-Zipcore 50*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 54*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 60*
Putter: TaylorMade Spider X

TaylorMade has cut down on their releases a bit. Yeah, they're going to release two every year but that's little fewer than what they were doing a few years ago.

Two different drivers a year is almost the standard now. Titleist has two models, Ping has 4. Granted their cycles run a little longer. What major OEM isn't releasing multiple versions?

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Is Morgan Stanley a new sponsor also? Surprised Honma isnt a hat sponsor.

Their logos will be on the side of the hat.

I think it’s in that golf digest article that mentions that.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 10.5*
Fairway: TaylorMade M6 15*
Fairway: TaylorMade M2 18*
Irons: Titleist 718 T-MB 4 iron
Irons: Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX-Zipcore 50*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 54*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 60*
Putter: TaylorMade Spider X

Is Morgan Stanley a new sponsor also? Surprised Honma isn’t a hat sponsor.

I think it’s in that golf digest article that mentions that.

It is indeed, honma will be either side of the hats. Fascinating that he's signed for ten clubs though another article points out he's been testing Honma gear since early July. He's obviously been told early on that his Taylormade deal would not be renewed.

Is he staying with Adidas' adipure range for the time being? I'm sure I read somewhere that he had been working on a clothing range with them right through 2017 to establish the brand for the "mature" golfer.

Driver too... shows that it's all much of s muchness really in terms of performance.

Any ideas on who the other PGA Tour player to sign will be?