Justin Rose to Honma

USMgolfer1

Nothing on the putter confirmed but PGA Tour and Golf Magic said the final number isn't confirmed and that some TM clubs may remain in the bag for the first few tournaments of the year.

If he is that particular about Honma looking, performing and feeling the way he wants he would surely put them in play right away. You can't replicate tournament pressure and you can only test and practice with new clubs so much before having to bite the bullet and see what happens.

Maybe Rose is a little unhappy on how the P730s were supposedly primarily designed with Tiger and Rory in mind. But he was part of the design team for the P730s: https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/gear/gear-news/justin-rose-whats-in-the-bag-2018-153341#O1LShwlhmIVVD5h2.99. Rose went to #1 in the world playing them, so how disappointed could he really have been or is he just a little mad that he wasn't given a new deal with TaylorMade?

So I looked over his stats and his SG: Approach has suffered playing with the 730s the last couple of years compared to his last 5 or 6 years on Tour. Rose's putting is what brought him to #1 in the world.

It could be either couldn't it. Given his calibre and all round class it was always going to generate discussion firing off a tweet like that.

Agreed his putting has been really quite incredible in the last 12-14 months or so. One of his weaknesses for me was always how he'd miss his fair share inside of 10 feet despite being one of the best ball strikers around. I never really had him as a "big" name because of that - he'd hit stunning iron shots but you knew he'd not make the putt.

Recently though it's been a different story, particularly on long par save putts a few stick out in the memory because he'd rarely ever make them.

In my opinion I think it's to do with not being renewed. If he's been testing since July then he must have been told early on that an offer wasn't on the table. 6 months is a long time to provisionally be testing equipment you're possibly not going to use. Pros know what they're getting into when they sign multi/full club deals so for him to suggest or imply he was playing gear that he didn't like or didn't perform as he wanted seems sour lemons.

It has at least got me looking at Honma clubs, going to check a few reviews later too. NY day is always a slow one with the family up from morning until night....was perfect weather for a round of golf too!

All the best to you for 2019.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing on the putter confirmed but PGA Tour and Golf Magic said the final number isn't confirmed and that some TM clubs may remain in the bag for the first few tournaments of the year.

If he is that particular about Honma looking, performing and feeling the way he wants he would surely put them in play right away. You can't replicate tournament pressure and you can only test and practice with new clubs so much before having to bite the bullet and see what happens.

Maybe Rose is a little unhappy on how the P730s were supposedly primarily designed with Tiger and Rory in mind. But he was part of the design team for the P730s: https://www.golf-mon...wlhmIVVD5h2.99. Rose went to #1 in the world playing them, so how disappointed could he really have been or is he just a little mad that he wasn't given a new deal with TaylorMade?

So I looked over his stats and his SG: Approach has suffered playing with the 730s the last couple of years compared to his last 5 or 6 years on Tour. Rose's putting is what brought him to #1 in the world.

It could be either couldn't it. Given his calibre and all round class it was always going to generate discussion firing off a tweet like that.

Agreed his putting has been really quite incredible in the last 12-14 months or so. One of his weaknesses for me was always how he'd miss his fair share inside of 10 feet despite being one of the best ball strikers around. I never really had him as a "big" name because of that - he'd hit stunning iron shots but you knew he'd not make the putt.

Recently though it's been a different story, particularly on long par save putts a few stick out in the memory because he'd rarely ever make them.

In my opinion I think it's to do with not being renewed. If he's been testing since July then he must have been told early on that an offer wasn't on the table. 6 months is a long time to provisionally be testing equipment you're possibly not going to use. Pros know what they're getting into when they sign multi/full club deals so for him to suggest or imply he was playing gear that he didn't like or didn't perform as he wanted seems sour lemons.

It has at least got me looking at Honma clubs, going to check a few reviews later too. NY day is always a slow one with the family up from morning until night....was perfect weather for a round of golf too!

I don't understand why people are focusing so much on what he tweeted. Every player who signs a deal with a new company says it's because of the equipment or some other opportunity related to the company. It's marketing, nothing more.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

Maybe Rose is a little unhappy on how the P730s were supposedly primarily designed with Tiger and Rory in mind. But he was part of the design team for the P730s: https://www.golf-mon...wlhmIVVD5h2.99. Rose went to #1 in the world playing them, so how disappointed could he really have been or is he just a little mad that he wasn't given a new deal with TaylorMade?

I don't understand why people are focusing so much on what he tweeted. Every player who signs a deal with a new company says it's because of the equipment or some other opportunity related to the company. It's marketing, nothing more.

They do, but not many people take a shot at their former club sponsor like Roe did. A little unusual, but Rose has put out a few zingers the last few years.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

They do, but not many people take a shot at their former club sponsor like Roe did. A little unusual, but Rose has put out a few zingers the last few years.

I truly believe you're reading too much into it. Think about how this looks and the questions people will be asking: "Justin Rose, you obtained number one in the world recently, have had a number of top 10s in your last X starts, etc. Why on earth would you switch equipment companies when you're playing this well???"

What's he going to say, "They offered more money?" He has to say something that makes it look like the grass is greener on his new side. He has to answer in a way to make it look like he's getting something here that he didn't have before. That's all he did. Maybe there's a bit of truth in what he said, but overall it's mostly spin. And that's okay.

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

I just can't remember many golfers who were playing really well with their former OEM and then took a shot at them out the door. I don't have a problem with that because what Rose said is true. Yeah we're probably blowing it out of proportion, but that's what we do on message boards.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

My bet is the irons were designed for TW and Rory and the rest fitted in. All the efforts to get Tigers irons from nike etc etc and the Rors proto nonsense. Then the putter attention for the red spider the Day got......Rose maybe felt a bit sidelined despite being the more consistent performer ?

Not good for spirit or motivation in the camp. Probably doesn't bother DJ

There's absolutely no way this move was about equipment. The Rose protos were made to the exact shape, specs, and performance he wanted, as were the protos for all the other guys. It was never a situation where he was forced to play a club designed for someone else. And putter attention? Huh? Were they supposed to promote the ARC more when he used that, or the Ardmore 2 after that? I don't understand that comment at all.

Look, it's pretty clear that this was a business decision. Rose likely wanted #1 in the world, DJ/Rory type money and TM was unwilling to pay that. Their endorsement strategy has definitely changed since the divestiture from adidas. Mark King has a past relationship with Rose and wanted to make a big splash for Honma, so he brought in someone with whom he has a prior relationship...and just happens to be one of the best players in the world over the past few seasons.

I wish JR nothing but the best. I hope he gets what he wants out of this deal.

I actually think it’s less about Rose wanting DJ/Rors type money being #2 in the world and more about Taylormade wanting to cut costs to get younger players who are going to make a splash on Tour. If TM were to get rid of Rose they can use that money for multiple big rookies who have the potential of being the next Rors or Rahm for example.

I’m not saying Rose didn’t want his fair share, I’m sure he values himself highly, but I think this was more of a TM decision. Rose knew the writing was on the wall and jumped on a great deal with Homna. Would be fantastic to see him use irons and wedges and then use different woods and putter.

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

Why? Because he's the recent world number one, a stand up guy and one of the classiest acts on Tour. You can't just take a pop and put it down to "marketing." If it was just marketing, his tweet would have ended "I believe Honma equipment/craftsmanship will make me better."

Saying these clubs look and feel how he wants suggests he has a bone of some sort to pick with TM.

Either way, what's it to you if we're discussing the tweet? It's a golf discussion forum. You want to write it off as marketing fine. I have a different opinion, as will others.

My bet is the irons were designed for TW and Rory and the rest fitted in. All the efforts to get Tigers irons from nike etc etc and the Rors proto nonsense. Then the putter attention for the red spider the Day got......Rose maybe felt a bit sidelined despite being the more consistent performer ?

There's absolutely no way this move was about equipment. The Rose protos were made to the exact shape, specs, and performance he wanted, as were the protos for all the other guys. It was never a situation where he was forced to play a club designed for someone else. And putter attention? Huh? Were they supposed to promote the ARC more when he used that, or the Ardmore 2 after that? I don't understand that comment at all.

Look, it's pretty clear that this was a business decision. Rose likely wanted #1 in the world, DJ/Rory type money and TM was unwilling to pay that. Their endorsement strategy has definitely changed since the divestiture from adidas. Mark King has a past relationship with Rose and wanted to make a big splash for Honma, so he brought in someone with whom he has a prior relationship...and just happens to be one of the best players in the world over the past few seasons.

I actually think it's less about Rose wanting DJ/Rors type money being #2 in the world and more about Taylormade wanting to cut costs to get younger players who are going to make a splash on Tour. If TM were to get rid of Rose they can use that money for multiple big rookies who have the potential of being the next Rors or Rahm for example.

I'm not saying Rose didn't want his fair share, I'm sure he values himself highly, but I think this was more of a TM decision. Rose knew the writing was on the wall and jumped on a great deal with Homna. Would be fantastic to see him use irons and wedges and then use different woods and putter.

It's all related, which is what I alluded to in the post you quoted. I mentioned that TM's endorsement strategy appears to have changed in the last couple of years since the divestiture (and likely before as they were being shopped around). They didn't keep Sergio when Callaway offered him big money, and they didn't keep Xander when Callaway offered him big money, etc. TaylorMade now seems to be focused on a core group of superstars and then a limited set of younger names that could have huge value in the future (e.g., Hossler).

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

they can grind his irons any way they like. Except for PXG.

Only concern is the woods

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

Look good to me.

Driver: still looking.....
4 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 17.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW70x @ 42 1/2".

7 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 22.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW80x @ 41 3/4".
Irons: Kamui Pro KP-102 5i-PW + KBS TGI 110 + 1/2".
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 50°/55°/60° + KBS C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

Tayloremade strategy smart. They are going to focus on a few guys. All the young kids will want to play tmade... so when guys get good and could switch or sign a contract tmade will be the elite boutique that everyone wants. Kind of what PXG can or is trying to do. They can trim the fat a little and rebuild with a name or two.

So .... how long until the deal is done with Parsons buying Taylormade ?

Call it a feeling.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Are they hollow and filled with goup? Speed slots? Jacked lofts? Flexible faced? Forged by Miura? 50 yards longer than the last model?

How's he ever going to win again with these??!!

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Those that are so concerned about a potential switch in future to Honma woods must not have hit the Tour World line- one of my all-time favorite drivers is the TW717 430, so solid.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

Am I missing something? The only tweet I see regarding this, besides his proro irons, says nothing negative about TM. A generic statement bragging about his new equipment is kind of the standard.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I’m thinking it was more of a business decision on TM part to not resign him and therefore logical that former TM bids now with Honma gets him to come over. Rumor is TM is signing some pros in non traditional roles. Sounds like Fowler is going to be playing their ball. Rose doesn’t fit into the pic if they are signing guys they can market better and signing Rickie to play the bsll is huge