2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Interesting development - $3000 pay to caddy from a $1.3 million winners check? (MOD EDIT - NO POLIT

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goodguykuchar is a parody account. The marcgraubart guy included that either as a joke or because he really thinks that's Matt Kuchar's account. I don't think the real Kuchar has a Twitter.

oh...thanks for that...I should have looked closer but who can be bothered with all this nonsense on Twitter. Necessary evil for getting wifi access at Heathrow or bumping up chances on ticket drawings. It did play a role in the revolt in Egypt, so there is that. Ooops...is that politics?! Sorry.

Also, the fact that Kuchar gave that "not 10% and not $3,000" vague answer. If he was totally innocent of this it seems like he would be more angry and say something along the lines of "I gave him a generous amount and way more than $3,000".

We employ several hundred people in our business and on occasion, are asked to supply personal/financial information if a team member is looking to make a significant purchase. As matter of policy, we NEVER provide any information unless the employee has given written authorization.

So why should Kuch tell the world what he paid someone else?

How is that a good comparison?

Do you think Kuch has a written policy on this? No, he was simply being asked to defend himself.

And I never said that he needed to tell the world anything. But the way in which he did choose to answer the question, does not make him look innocent.

I can't speak to if they had a verbal or written agreement and I'm not sure anyone else can. Sure...he could have said the arrangement was between the caddie and me and he didn't. The caddie could have said what he earned but to the best of my knowledge, he hasn't done that. The people who seem to have the biggest issues with this aren't either party and they're the two that negotiated the deal. Apparently at the time of the negotiations, both parties were satisfied with the deal so what's the issue?

Also, the fact that Kuchar gave that "not 10% and not $3,000" vague answer. If he was totally innocent of this it seems like he would be more angry and say something along the lines of "I gave him a generous amount and way more than $3,000".

We employ several hundred people in our business and on occasion, are asked to supply personal/financial information if a team member is looking to make a significant purchase. As matter of policy, we NEVER provide any information unless the employee has given written authorization.

Do you think Kuch has a written policy on this? No, he was simply being asked to defend himself.

And I never said that he needed to tell the world anything. But the way in which he did choose to answer the question, does not make him look innocent.

I can't speak to if they had a verbal or written agreement and I'm not sure anyone else can. Sure...he could have said the arrangement was between the caddie and me and he didn't. The caddie could have said what he earned but to the best of my knowledge, he hasn't done that. The people who seem to have the biggest issues with this aren't either party and they're the two that negotiated the deal. Apparently at the time of the negotiations, both parties were satisfied with the deal so what's the issue?

Social justice and virtue signaling are the goal.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that tour cash, for lack of a better word, is good. Tour cash is right, Tour cash works. Tour cash clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Tour cash, in all of its forms; Tour cash for life, for golf, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind. And Tour cash, you mark my words, will not only be unshared fairly with caddies, but excessive Tour cash will bring down that malfunctioning corporation called the PGA .

Thank you very much.

"Asked if he made more money than Favela last week, Ortiz said, “I hope so!” He had not yet received or discussed his pay with Kuchar. He knows the standard caddie bonus is 10 percent of the winner’s share. Kuchar earned $1.3 million for his win, his first since 2014."

https://www.golf.com...-know-el-tucan/

Hey, you know this is interesting....

https://www.golfchan...addie-garcia-nc

"Garcia, with Faircloth alongside, rolled to a two-stroke win Monday at the Wyndham, giving the Spaniard his first title on U.S. soil in more than four years. Tony Navarro, caddie for Bud Cauley, grabbed the flag from 18 and handed it to the rookie looper.

“It was just a wonderful opportunity, the ride was just unbelievable, and it’s something that I’ll never forget,” Faircloth said. “It’s not every day you get to jump on the bag of one of the best in the world.”

Now comes the interesting part. Garcia’s victory came with a $960,000 payday. A typical caddie gets a 10 percent cut ($96,000, in this instance), but Garcia was non-committal about Faircloth’s share afterward.

“He’ll probably get 75 (thousand) and a tip,” Garcia said Monday, laughing, before adding, “He’s going to be happy with what he gets. Obviously he’s not going to get what a normal caddie would get, because his job was fairly easy. But he’ll be happy with whatever he gets.”

Of course he will. But hey, show the guy some love!"

"Asked if he made more money than Favela last week, Ortiz said, “I hope so!” He had not yet received or discussed his pay with Kuchar. He knows the standard caddie bonus is 10 percent of the winner’s share. Kuchar earned $1.3 million for his win, his first since 2014."

If they didn't talk about fees ahead of the start of his service, then they're both wrong.

The caddy threads are always fascinating social science studies. The majority of people seem to side with the caddies deserving more money though i've never really seen arguments why other than "the players are rich" or "the pga tour makes so much money". I assume many of your bosses, or executives at the companies you work for are rich. The CEO at your company probably makes exponentially more than you. Why don't they pay you more? The CEO of your company could give you 10,000$ tomorrow and it would be fairly meaningless to him....why doesn't he do it? Do you not work hard? Do you not need 10,000$?

This type of behavior, if presented as a social program....the response tends to be 180 degrees in the other direction. So i find it interesting

I would argue just from an economists perspective, that caddies are possibly a massive market inefficiency. Similar to runningbacks in the NFL a few years back before teams realized you shouldn't draft them high or pay them a lot. Matt Kuchar won a tournament with a 3000$ local caddy, maybe everyone else is crazy for paying them more. Is there a shortage of caddies? If all the players gave them 20% pay reductions would they all quit and find new employment and if so would quality of play suffer? We don't really know because PGA guys pay caddies a "standard" rate that seems to be based more on gentlemanly-ness than real market value. Probably because of the shaming of guys like Tom Gillis and co.

It's their right to pay a caddy more if they want, just like it's their right to pay them less. Pittsburgh had a better rushing attack this year with James Connor than they did with Leveon Bell, The Rams just won yesterday feeding CJ Anderson who they just signed.....and Matt Kuchar won a PGA event with a local 3000$ Caddy. Makes you think....

I don't think anyone has said that caddies are paid too much. Rather, the majority of pro caddies make little money. I just don't see why it is so hard to pay the standard caddie percentages to a caddie. If this was done, it would be a non-issue. I understand that Ortiz didn't communicate much with Kuchar and that Matt got his own yardages, but I hope Ortiz's pay was a lot closer to 10% than $3,000.

As far as CEO vs average worker pay, it's sad that workers are increasingly shut out of the profits they help make. It's not good for business and it's not good for society.

You can also say it's bad for business to implement profit sharing with employees who are paid a guaranteed salary and assume very little risk compared to the entrepreneurs/investors/shareholders that put time/money into a business with no guaranteed returns. If these workers want to share in the profits, they should assume more risk or give up their wages in exchange for sweat equity.

This thread is so polarizing because it seems like it's a microcosm of society at large. You can look at this issue 2 ways. 1) The caddie was instrumental in the win and he should have been paid the going rate (or close to it) for normal PGA Tour caddies in a win. 2) Due to different circumstances, Kuchar negotiated a different rate with his temporary caddie and paid what he thought to be fair, and according to him, what was previously agreed upon. While I'm not a fan of cheap people, I do not think it is my place to tell other people how to spend their money, and they have no requirement to be "generous" so long as they keep their word and fulfill their obligations, no matter how unfair the arrangement may be in hindsight. If the market rate for that caddie was 10%, he should have negotiated that. Whether this story is true or not, he put himself in a position to accept $3,000 for a win. At the end of the day, that's on him.

Titleist TSR3 10° Autoflex 505x

Titleist TSR3 15° Ventus Red 7s

Callaway UW 19° Ventus Red 7s

PXG 0311 Gen3 4-5p, 6-9t, PWst Oban CT-115s 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50° Oban CT-115s

Vokey 56°s Raw, 60°t Raw Project X LZ 6.0

Byron Morgan DH89x / 009 

If they didn't talk about fees ahead of the start of his service, then they're both wrong.

True enough DP4, but if any of this is true, who was in the better position to be the guy who does the right thing. Sometimes in life it's not about the legal thing, it's not about what you can do... it's about what you should do, right?

Well I'd give the guy 5% and a re-hire for next year to defend. Not sure on what others would do

I do agree with the spread of the haves and have nots .. in the USA and Canada and ??? ... growing wider and wider annually will be an ever more thorny societal issue moving forward

Cally AIS TD Max 10.5* Ventus Black 5x

Callaway AI Smoke TD 16* Ventus Red 6x

Callaway GBB Hvnwd 19* Ventus Blue 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Cally Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x

Ping i210 6-7 & s55 8-PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59* SF 125s

LAB Mezz Max

Hey, you know this is interesting....

https://www.golfchan...addie-garcia-nc

"Garcia, with Faircloth alongside, rolled to a two-stroke win Monday at the Wyndham, giving the Spaniard his first title on U.S. soil in more than four years. Tony Navarro, caddie for Bud Cauley, grabbed the flag from 18 and handed it to the rookie looper.

“It was just a wonderful opportunity, the ride was just unbelievable, and it’s something that I’ll never forget,” Faircloth said. “It’s not every day you get to jump on the bag of one of the best in the world.”

Now comes the interesting part. Garcia’s victory came with a $960,000 payday. A typical caddie gets a 10 percent cut ($96,000, in this instance), but Garcia was non-committal about Faircloth’s share afterward.

“He’ll probably get 75 (thousand) and a tip,” Garcia said Monday, laughing, before adding, “He’s going to be happy with what he gets. Obviously he’s not going to get what a normal caddie would get, because his job was fairly easy. But he’ll be happy with whatever he gets.”

Of course he will. But hey, show the guy some love!"

You know its bad when Sergio out does you.

True enough DP4, but if any of this is true, who was in the better position to be the guy who does the right thing. Sometimes in life it's not about the legal thing, it's not about what you can do... it's about what you should do, right?

Assuming everything stated is accurate, without a doubt Kuch had a chance to do the right thing if they never talked about the caddie fees. Hopefully the entire truth will come out or more importantly, that the caddie is OK with what he earned for his service.

Assuming everything stated is accurate, without a doubt Kuch had a chance to do the right thing if they never talked about the caddie fees. Hopefully the entire truth will come out or more importantly, that the caddie is OK with what he earned for his service.

I totally agree. Though to me it's not as much as with whether the guy was OK with whatever transpired, but whether he was treated fairly. That's the bottom line to me.

I totally agree. Though to me it's not as much as with whether the guy was OK with whatever transpired, but whether he was treated fairly. That's the bottom line to me.

But your definition of "fairly" is irrelevant.

Social justice and virtue signaling are the goal.

virtsign.jpg

Again one of the top players in the world offers you a 3-4 weeks salary ($3,000) to carry his bag for 4 days. Who are you to say no? Kuch knew it was a cheap move and then bumped it to $5,000 when he won......

Seems pretty obvious to me that he screwed the guy.

Should have made it right when he won (and I bet as said before that $30,000 and no one says diddly.

I love threads like this. 21 pages of griping how other's spend their money.

My only two cents is I'm not sure how one would think a temp stand in should be compensated like a normal tour caddy. A normal tour caddy has to travel, pay for accommodations, scouts the course, helps put the yardage book together, etc etc etc. A lot more work and overhead involved vs a guy that is already there ready to carry the bag. Not to mention their guy doesn't win every week (or at all for some), doesnt make every cut, etc. So that 10% for a win gets amortized over the entire season. Look at poor Joey Lacava =P

https://twitter.com/...7243993089?s=19

Now the guy who posted the picture is saying:

"marcgraubart 2h Replying to @tcgillis

Actually upon further clarification this morning, Kuchar @GoodGuyKuchar paid him $3,000 for the week and gave a paltry $2,000 tip for the wind. Stiffed the locker room people as well.

·

3h Replying to @tcgillis

From the horse's mouth. True!!"

For the people saying we don't have evidence, I get it. But unless this random guy is lying, he claims that the caddy himself is testifying to this.

It's not proof at this point but I'd say it's the smoke of the fire.

So, again, no proof or hard evidence. But common sense still points to the story being most likely true. What motive do Gillis and this random guy on Twitter have to lie?

giphy.gif

Again one of the top players in the world offers you a 3-4 weeks salary ($3,000) to carry his bag for 4 days. Who are you to say no? Kuch knew it was a cheap move and then bumped it to $5,000 when he won......

Seems pretty obvious to me that he screwed the guy.

Should have made it right when he won (and I bet as said before that $30,000 and no one says diddly.

How is it obvious that he screwed the guy when no one really knows the facts. Twitter has taken us back to the days of the wild west when mobs would hang people they thought were guilty with no evidence at all. And in this case even if he did what the snitch Gillis said he didn't it wasn't illegal. Maybe the caddy sucked and basically just carried his bag.

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.