2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Old Man Rant - New Golf Shoes Look Cheap

> @"Brick Tamland" said:

> There are plenty of current options with classic looks and great tech. I'm honestly not sure why you'd complain about lighter materials in a shoe that you're going to walk 6-7 miles at a time in, but if you want heavy uncomfortable shoes then have at it.

None of those are classics.

This is a classic;

ryborbccvb6q.jpg

> @Roadking2003 said:

> > @"Brick Tamland" said:

> > There are plenty of current options with classic looks and great tech. I'm honestly not sure why you'd complain about lighter materials in a shoe that you're going to walk 6-7 miles at a time in, but if you want heavy uncomfortable shoes then have at it.

> None of those are classics.

> This is a classic;

>

> ryborbccvb6q.jpg

>

>

>

>

>

rotated 2 pairs of classics premieres for 6-7 years and although i loved them at the time(fit was spot on), there are no less than 5-6 current shoes lines i'd take over those in a heartbeat and not think twice about it for a walking round of golf.

> @KMeloney said:

> > @smashdn said:

> >I actually wear an older Skechers model most often now that is built inside more like a tennis shoe but outside still a traditional look.

>

> Which model of Sketchers? Lots of potential for irony here...

Go Golf Elite 2 - It has the cushioning on the inside like a tennis shoes, not like a dress shoe, but the outside is still pretty subdued in the styling. It looks like a golf shoe to my eye.

When Nike first got into golf, pre TW logo, I wore some of their saddles and a pair of brown square toed shoes. They kind of had the same thing going on, inside was crafted like a tennis shoe, outer was leather and gore-tex water resistant. If needed I could hit them with some shoe polish. A little leather conditioner here and there and they stayed water proof for many years. Eventually I wore out the sole on them after many sets of soft cleats.

I'm not opposed to the more athletic styles, I just can't see shelling close to two bills for them when they don't look like they are made from high quality material. It is only a perception of quality due to the look of the material. I have a pair of cheap puma turf cleat looking things that are light and do the job. They are made from light, cheap materials and I think I paid 50 bucks for them.

I agree with you.l and I’m 40. The club I belonged to last year had all of Adidas’s shoes out on display during a Taylormade fitting day. I wouldn’t have paid $100 for any of them.

I bought some titan tour ingnite with the boa system on closeout for a 1/3 the price. Now they don’t look any better made than the Adidas but for a 1/3 the price I can live with it.

> @caniac6 said:

> > @smashdn said:

> > I know I can go get just about whatever style I want. If I want traditional saddles there are several manufacturers out there.

> >

> > Just an observation but the athletic styled stuff looks cheap. It may have a ton of technology built in, space-age (maybe we are beyond the space-age now?) materials and lightweight. BUT to my eye some of these innovations make the shoes look lightly made and cheap.

> >

> > I had a FJ email in my inbox this morning for the spikeless shoes they now offer. I was a FJ man through and through but have drifted away as I have just not cared for what they are putting out. I actually wear an older Skechers model most often now that is built inside more like a tennis shoe but outside still a traditional look. The foam used in the soles to make them lighter is especially jarring to me.

> >

> > I guess my point/question is, can the manufacturers cram all that technology into the shoes without them looking plasticky and tacky?

>

> I went to Golf Galaxy the other day, and tried on a bunch of shoes, but didn't buy any. It seems like the quality of golf shoes has declined.

> @caniac6 said:

> > @smashdn said:

> > I know I can go get just about whatever style I want. If I want traditional saddles there are several manufacturers out there.

> >

> > Just an observation but the athletic styled stuff looks cheap. It may have a ton of technology built in, space-age (maybe we are beyond the space-age now?) materials and lightweight. BUT to my eye some of these innovations make the shoes look lightly made and cheap.

> >

> > I had a FJ email in my inbox this morning for the spikeless shoes they now offer. I was a FJ man through and through but have drifted away as I have just not cared for what they are putting out. I actually wear an older Skechers model most often now that is built inside more like a tennis shoe but outside still a traditional look. The foam used in the soles to make them lighter is especially jarring to me.

> >

> > I guess my point/question is, can the manufacturers cram all that technology into the shoes without them looking plasticky and tacky?

>

> I went to Golf Galaxy the other day, and tried on a bunch of shoes, but didn't buy any. It seems like the quality of golf shoes has declined.

> @caniac6 said:

> > @smashdn said:

> >

> >

> >

>

> @caniac6 said:

> > @smashdn said:

> >

> >

> >

>

I think the new models look like garbage as well. I stocked up on Classics a year after they discontinued them. I’m just not into shoes made out of recycled bottles!

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

> @smashdn said:

> > @KMeloney said:

> > > @smashdn said:

> > >I actually wear an older Skechers model most often now that is built inside more like a tennis shoe but outside still a traditional look.

> >

> > Which model of Sketchers? Lots of potential for irony here...

>

> Go Golf Elite 2 - It has the cushioning on the inside like a tennis shoes, not like a dress shoe, but the outside is still pretty subdued in the styling. It looks like a golf shoe to my eye.

>

> When Nike first got into golf, pre TW logo, I wore some of their saddles and a pair of brown square toed shoes. They kind of had the same thing going on, inside was crafted like a tennis shoe, outer was leather and gore-tex water resistant. If needed I could hit them with some shoe polish. A little leather conditioner here and there and they stayed water proof for many years. Eventually I wore out the sole on them after many sets of soft cleats.

>

> I'm not opposed to the more athletic styles, I just can't see shelling close to two bills for them when they don't look like they are made from high quality material. It is only a perception of quality due to the look of the material. I have a pair of cheap puma turf cleat looking things that are light and do the job. They are made from light, cheap materials and I think I paid 50 bucks for them.

Ok. Yeah, it's so subjective, as I've always thought that Sketchers have looked cheap. But, to your original point, I feel like FJ has mostly lost it's way with some of its recent designs. There's just no "theme" to a lot of the designs anymore. And many look cheap.

> @Pepperturbo said:

> Typically trendy sneaker/athletic shoe designs fail at providing the stability I require and craftsmanship. However, I discovered and bought a pair of ECCO Men's Cool 18 Gore-Tex Golf shoes and love them. They are not inexpensive but worth the price. They are so comfortable I could wear them without socks.

If athletic style shoes can work for > @Roadking2003 said:

> > @"Brick Tamland" said:

> > There are plenty of current options with classic looks and great tech. I'm honestly not sure why you'd complain about lighter materials in a shoe that you're going to walk 6-7 miles at a time in, but if you want heavy uncomfortable shoes then have at it.

> None of those are classics.

> This is a classic;

>

> ryborbccvb6q.jpg

>

>

>

>

>

Reminds me of this ad.

I'd say the newer style shoes are made to be more comfortable (and forgiving in fit) out of the box at the expense of durability. I'll never go back to full leather shoes if possible.

Ping G400 Max / Speeder 661 Evo IV 
Sim Ti 3 / HZRDUS Blue 75
Cobra Radspeed 5 / HZRDUS Blue 75
Oven Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4 / Modus3 105
Ping I210 5-U / Modus3 105
Vokey SM8 54D / Modus3 125

Vokey SM8 58 LBK / Modus3 125

Nike Origin Naked B2-01

• 2 weeks later...

> @smashdn said:

> I know I can go get just about whatever style I want. If I want traditional saddles there are several manufacturers out there.

>

> Just an observation but the athletic styled stuff looks cheap. It may have a ton of technology built in, space-age (maybe we are beyond the space-age now?) materials and lightweight. BUT to my eye some of these innovations make the shoes look lightly made and cheap.

>

> I had a FJ email in my inbox this morning for the spikeless shoes they now offer. I was a FJ man through and through but have drifted away as I have just not cared for what they are putting out. I actually wear an older Skechers model most often now that is built inside more like a tennis shoe but outside still a traditional look. The foam used in the soles to make them lighter is especially jarring to me.

>

> I guess my point/question is, can the manufacturers cram all that technology into the shoes without them looking plasticky and tacky?

I could not agree more. But, then I am an old man. First off, I will not buy a pair of shoes that have white/almond sole edges. Most all of my 30+ pairs of golf shoes are DryJoy Tours. I have ordered 4 pair of MyJoys, all on the DryJoy Tour offering. I do have some shoes that are not FJs but none of them are the so called athletic styles.

• 1 month later...

I do still visualize golf shoes as being like a FJ wingtip model I grew up with. But the new shoes are so much more comfortable, even those with lots of support/ stability, and look better as well. Traditional golf shoes still look good but I never found them to be all that comfortable, especially with the old leather soles and metal spikes. I'm a big fan of the recent Adidas golf shoes and find them to be so much more stable during a swing and so much more comfortable walking a round of golf. Guess times change.

> @smashdn said:

> I know I can go get just about whatever style I want. If I want traditional saddles there are several manufacturers out there.

>

> Just an observation but the athletic styled stuff looks cheap. It may have a ton of technology built in, space-age (maybe we are beyond the space-age now?) materials and lightweight. BUT to my eye some of these innovations make the shoes look lightly made and cheap.

>

> I had a FJ email in my inbox this morning for the spikeless shoes they now offer. I was a FJ man through and through but have drifted away as I have just not cared for what they are putting out. I actually wear an older Skechers model most often now that is built inside more like a tennis shoe but outside still a traditional look. The foam used in the soles to make them lighter is especially jarring to me.

>

> I guess my point/question is, can the manufacturers cram all that technology into the shoes without them looking plasticky and tacky?

Basically I agree. So many of these shoes in general look cheap and plasticky but we also have more options than we've ever had before. So there's no excuse not to be able to wear what you want.

Again most golf shoes now look worse than 30 years ago. Most are more comfortable and many are extremely ugly but there are incredible options should we want to pursue them.

J3 Out!

I picked up a pair of Puma Ignite NXT a few weeks ago and after one round had to then go ahead and buy replacement insoles for them. Both feet were killing me after one frickin round! They're just fine now but add another 30 bucks to make them truly comfortable.

Pretty much every consumer product is cheap and poorly made now. Dishwashers, golf shoes, you name it.

• 2 weeks later...

The OEM figured out sometime ago that if their product lasts more than a few years, actually bad for their business and return to the stock holder's investment.

As everything else under the Sun, Don't ask why something made a few decades ago are still around and nothing made these days will last.

The minimal/maximizer we taught in schools these days are running the corporation now.

Companies today are afraid to use nice soft leather. They use cheap materials and make huge profit. The flat nubby sole hush puppy looking shoes look nerdy. The fabric shoes make no sense, wet after 3 holes. Soft spike all leather uppers made sense. Change the spikes periodically and the shoes last a long time. If you buy the right size and try them on all shoes will be comfortable.

I play publics and semi-privates and see all types of shoes. We golfers notice everything, our training of reading the environment, of course (or an example of our insecurity ;)). Appears I am not the only one to wear (and prefer) golf sneakers with shorts, but I will wear a little more 'classy' shoe - and sneaker, too - with pants. Can't go with the Boa feature, however, given I need to stay in practice remembering things.

Grew up with pointy golf shoes with 'flaps' (sorry, can't remember what they were/are called) over the laces; that was the thing and there was little diversity around such - but swing diversity was never lacking (goodness, I was and am still apt to change mine two or more times just on the upswing!).

Becoming a fan of the spikeless shoe. Comfortable, and for an older, slow swinger like me there is no loss of stability, not that stability is not an issue, but I digress.

Like the diversity, but have limits, at least for myself. Gotta draw the line at flip-flops- or sandle-wear-golf shoes for men. I think somewhere in the Permanent Rules of Golf, it says men should only show their feet at home, the pool, or the beach (or when it is appropriate to invite someone to kiss them or one of them if other options are not available). But, I could be wrong and foot challenged.

But to address the OP: there is definitely some funny stuff on the market, yet I am reminded that Gottes Zoo ist großartig (God's zoo is great). Good thing for me given I would have no place to otherwise live. ;)

Generally agree most modern shoes are ugly af. Some exceptions - Adidas Pure are fantastic and can be worn anywhere, they look like Stan Smith. Traditional Footjoy designs look great but every time I pick one up they just feel heavy and stiff. Gfore seem to be somewhere in the middle should probably give them a shot.

> @smashdn said:

>

>

>

I also prefer the classic looks of the shoes in the past. Here is one pair of Footjoy Classics that is in my current rotation. These were never worn. Wore them today and they're extremely comfortable. These can be found on eBay for a fair price.

ac1y10cl5ssl.jpeg

332ibznpywcs.jpeg

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

> @OldCuss said:

> Appears I am not the only one to wear (and prefer) golf sneakers with shorts, but I will wear a little more 'classy' shoe - and sneaker, too - with pants.

Same here. I wear my Nike Air Zoom Victory Tour with pants. Sneaks with pants make me feel like I work at Foot Locker or something. Conversely, I feel like I'm in the Junior League with those and shorts; so I've got the Roshe Gs for those occasions.

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept