2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

The Perfect Senior Bag Setup

platgof

@Dan DrakeWhy despise the choice in tees or someone that chooses to perceive themselves different from you, if he's not holding up PoP?  Age does NOT predetermine tee box, yardage or ability.

Some of us, despite our ailments (mine osteoarthritis) are still physically strong and able to strike the ball well so carry decent lengths.  As I get more comfortable with my new driver shaft and iron shafts I am hitting the ball even further.  The other day benign conditions, fast fairways, from a 328 yard Par 4 tee box, I hit 2i 240yds down the middle. 

• Like 2
  • TSR2 9.25° Tensei 1k Pro Red 61S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

On 8/25/2020 at 6:27 PM, jjfcpa said:

I get a kick out of some of the young guys I see playing from the tips and they can't find a fairway to save their soul.  Most of the time, they are so far right or left that they are in a group looking for someone's ball.  

I could say that about some PGA Tour guys of late. LOL

• Haha 2
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

On 8/25/2020 at 9:27 PM, jjfcpa said:

I get a kick out of some of the young guys I see playing from the tips and they can't find a fairway to save their soul.  Most of the time, they are so far right or left that they are in a group looking for someone's ball.  

It is also difficult to play with golfers like this, if you are a decent striker and you cart partner is always hitting in another fairway.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

1 hour ago, boggyman said:

Still toting a 2 iron at age 70 , outstanding!!! 😳 Bag looks like one off the tour in tv🤫!

Bag setup was kinda modeled after a relative that was a professional golfer back in the 50s n 60s.  But Thank You. 

When I took up the game at 40 I learned with D, 3wd and 16' Mizuno Pro 1 iron and 3-PW Mizuno blades.  Don't recall when OEMs reintroduced 2i to full iron sets, but that's when I switched, and been carrying 17' 2i ever since.  Its one of my two  favorite clubs and love hitting it.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

1 minute ago, Dan Drake said:

Pep, first I want to say that nowhere have I ever said that someone must move up.  Second, you are certainly not in the demographic that I'm talking about, and anyone that can still golf their ball, most definitely including the 60+ year old pro who beats me heads up every year in our match play, can play wherever they like.  

I'm talking about a 64 year old who complains to me that they can't compete with their buddies anymore, but claims he isn't "allowed" to move up a set of tees until he turns 65.  As if his birthday has any bearing on the fact that he can't carry it over 180y anymore and he's still playing from 6,200y+.  

I guess what I "despise" is that the game of golf has allowed (fostered?) this type of mindset to be so pervasive in the main demographic that plays this great game of ours.  I certainly apologize for any unintended or misinterpreted malice.  

(And for what it is worth, my dad (who as some here know is my golfing hero) did the opposite of this with my son.  During my son's first few rounds, my dad had him teeing it up from the "junior" tees.  Would have been fine, except my son was still whiffing and topping shots and making double digits on every hole.  I fussed at my dad a bit, good natured-ly of course, and I moved my son up to about the 100yd marker to start a par 4, and now he is getting close to breaking 100.  We will move back as his skill increases, not based on some tee marker's arbitrary name.  My son has a lot more fun as he has an opportunity to make a birdie or par on every hole, should he hit 1 or 2 good shots.  And that's what I want for every golfer.)

Nice - that's what we did with our girls.  Once they were able to hit the golf ball we just adapted the course to their abilities so that their par would be like the hole we were playing.  The 100 yard markers were where we started, also, then 150, etc.  But on par 3s we'd have them hit from where they could reach the green with one of their irons.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dan Drake said:

This is beautiful.  And I'm sorry if I came across poorly in my first post.  But all I want is for the game to be enjoyed and grow.  And one of the single worst impediments of that I see is people intentionally (ignorantly) playing from the WAY wrong set of tees.  So if I come across a bit brusque, I apologize.  I am a bit too passionate about this particular issue and I need to be less.   

When I moved up to the yellow tees a few years ago I caught a little ribbing from my league partner and a few others because occasionally  I could still shoot a couple over par (for 9) from the whites. Now that they have moved up they admit they wish they would have done it sooner.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

On 5/14/2019 at 8:53 PM, LCGALBERTA said:

Don't forget the telescopic ball retriever...haha sorry I had to note that. Every senior bag has one that I have ever seen lol.

It gives us something to do during those 5 hr rounds🤣

• Haha 1

JPX EZ driver

Cally X hot 16* fwy

G20 3-4 hybrids

JPX Hot Metal irons

jpx wedges

Rife 2 bar

14 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Nice - that's what we did with our girls.  Once they were able to hit the golf ball we just adapted the course to their abilities so that their par would be like the hole we were playing.  The 100 yard markers were where we started, also, then 150, etc.  But on par 3s we'd have them hit from where they could reach the green with one of their irons.  

We did something similar with our son.  He was more serious by 7yrs of age from red tees, lessons at 8yrs old, and by 10 he was playing in kids club tournaments from senior tees at our club, and doing surprisingly well.  Today, at 27, he doesn't play golf much.  When he does it's with me on my dime and uses my backup set blades.  I am proud to say he hits 5i MB 200+yards "straight" like his ole man, and he drives the ball 295+, scores in the high 80s - low 90s'.

• Like 3
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

14 hours ago, Dan Drake said:

Pep, first I want to say that nowhere have I ever said that someone must move up.  Second, you are certainly not in the demographic that I'm talking about, and anyone that can still golf their ball, most definitely including the 60+ year old pro who beats me heads up every year in our match play, can play wherever they like.  

I'm talking about a 64 year old who complains to me that they can't compete with their buddies anymore, but claims he isn't "allowed" to move up a set of tees until he turns 65.  As if his birthday has any bearing on the fact that he can't carry it over 180y anymore and he's still playing from 6,200y+.  

I guess what I "despise" is that the game of golf has allowed (fostered?) this type of mindset to be so pervasive in the main demographic that plays this great game of ours.  I certainly apologize for any unintended or misinterpreted malice.  

(And for what it is worth, my dad (who as some here know is my golfing hero) did the opposite of this with my son.  During my son's first few rounds, my dad had him teeing it up from the "junior" tees.  Would have been fine, except my son was still whiffing and topping shots and making double digits on every hole.  I fussed at my dad a bit, good natured-ly of course, and I moved my son up to about the 100yd marker to start a par 4, and now he is getting close to breaking 100.  We will move back as his skill increases, not based on some tee marker's arbitrary name.  My son has a lot more fun as he has an opportunity to make a birdie or par on every hole, should he hit 1 or 2 good shots.  And that's what I want for every golfer.)

No worries - we're good!

• Like 1
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

25 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Today, at 27, he doesn't play golf much.  When he does it's with me on my dime and uses my backup set blades.  I am proud to say he hits 5i MB 200+yards "straight" like his ole man, and he drives the ball 295+, scores in the high 80s - low 90s'.

For the stats you give about your son, 5i 200+ straight, drive 295+, and scores high 80's-low 90's? I guess, to me, he should be scoring about 5-10 strokes better. Even not playing much I figure he's a better scorer then that. Of course, the short game say a lot, whatever his is.

• Like 1

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

Before Covid , I played often with a former pro

John is 84 years old, and does not hit a driver more than 175 yards 

He plays from the senior tees  ( about 5400 yards)and I have not seen him shoot more than his age

Hits the ball on a string and amazing short game on some crazy fast greens

2 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

Why?  He doesn't play much golf.  Scoring in high 80s-low 90s is damn good.  Better than a lot of people that play all the time.  Besides, stats are only indicators of potential, not what someone should be shooting.  As far as I am concerned, there is no should be... in golf, only want is and what is not.

Well, whether or not you realize it or not, you gave me a big compliment. I drive the ball anywhere from 210-250, depending on how I connect. I can't use an iron lower than a 6i efficiently and compensate that with my hybrids. I don't think my game excels in any catagory, really, but when I shoot 90 or above I feel like I failed and should have done better. I am a 14 cap and if I don't shoot 85 or below (white tees) I am disappointed. Even when not playing often, you say he hits the ball straight, 200 yds with a 5i, so he has to be pretty good. If I had another club I could hit 200 yds straight consistently, the driver would stay in the bag most of the time. Not trying to dis him, it just seems he would score better with the stats you said.

• Like 2

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

@Sean2 Whether someone moves up or not is each person's choice.  As adults, we should NOT guess what he or she may be feeling then argue a position based on the guess. 

Yep - what you said is true for those that have shorter games.  But doesn't fit those of us that still play for $$$ against golfers much younger, or in senior events.  Since I took up the game, once or twice a month I play an executive track that are about 4-5k long but use irons only.  The few I play are challenging so when I shoot even or a few under and post, it doesn't mess up my index. 

The senior tees on championship courses are not rated very difficult, as they take all the carry shots out of the game, so it would do more harm than good to my index.  Plus senior tee scoring doesn't cut it when my hope is to get my index back down to 2, so I can play in Sr Open Championship qualifying later this year. 

• Like 2
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

10 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

@Sean2 Whether someone moves up or not is each person's choice.  As adults, we should NOT guess what he or she may be feeling then argue a position based on the guess. 

Yep - what you said is true for those that have shorter games.  But doesn't fit those of us that still play for $$$ against golfers much younger, or in senior events.  Since I took up the game, once or twice a month I play an executive track that are about 4-5k long but use irons only.  The few I play are challenging so when I shoot even or a few under and post, it doesn't mess up my index. 

The senior tees on championship courses are not rated very difficult, as they take all the carry shots out of the game, so it would do more harm than good to my index.  Plus senior tee scoring doesn't cut it when my hope is to get my index back down to 2, so I can play in Sr Open Championship qualifying later this year. 

Most seniors aren't trying to qualify for the Sr Open Championship, so I think you are a bit of an exception. 🙂 By the way...good luck!

I saw an interview with Tom Weiskopf the other day and he said the game is more enjoyable if one plays the tees suited to his game. Jack Nicklaus has said the same thing on numerous occasions. 

That all said, if someone wants to play 6400 yards and only drives the ball 200 yards, that is their prerogative. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sean2 said:

Most seniors aren't trying to qualify for the Sr Open Championship, so I think you are a bit of an exception. 🙂 By the way...good luck!

I saw an interview with Tom Weiskopf the other day and he said the game is more enjoyable if one plays the tees suited to his game. Jack Nicklaus has said the same thing on numerous occasions. 

That all said, if someone wants to play 6400 yards and only drives the ball 200 yards, that is their prerogative. 

Very true Sean. A few times a year I like to play from the whites just to change things up a bit. It also lets me use some other clubs in my bag .

• Like 2

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

11 hours ago, Sean2 said:

Yes and no. Yes, nobody can really stop anybody from playing tees beyond their capability, but no, in a more ethical sense. I know it's been said thousands of times in these forums, in the sense of respecting other golfers, ethically you need to keep pace of play up. Sure, go play the 6400 yd tees when you struggle to hit it 200 yds off the tee, but it most likely cost the rest of the course efficient pace of play.

• Like 2

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

2 hours ago, hybrid25 said:

Yes and no. Yes, nobody can really stop anybody from playing tees beyond their capability, but no, in a more ethical sense. I know it's been said thousands of times in these forums, in the sense of respecting other golfers, ethically you need to keep pace of play up. Sure, go play the 6400 yd tees when you struggle to hit it 200 yds off the tee, but it most likely cost the rest of the course efficient pace of play.

I've watched many guys hit if further than 200yds off the tee and contribute to slow Pop.  Being slow is a mental thing, plus connected to spraying the ball and youngsters hitting the bottle and gabbing with cart girls.  Most of the older guys I've teed it up with that hit driver 200yds straight don't typically walk to the blue or back tees.  

However, my buddy is 74 and hits it about 210yds, 220 pure.  Many times he's played the Blue tees with me.  He barely covers some demanding carry yardages but even though he's hitting way more shots than me, he easily keeps up. 

Last thought, golfers, historically, have been known for self-policing.  However, today, culturally, people don't self-police in life - they surely are not going to do it on a golf course.  Socially, we've created our own monsters.

• Like 1
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

Not quite what I was expecting to find in this thread. Seems like we gots some super seniors in the wrx! 

Been trying to get my dad to move off of jdm irons and into the world of some super game improvement, or at least a set of distance players irons. He's a lefty, he's got a beautiful swing, but his age has caught up to him as he can no longer get it in the air, like he used to. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Got him a set of Tayloramde M-CGB irons, but was turned off by the shape of the iron heads. Want him to try the P790's but came to wrx to find some recs and stumbled upon this thread. Any help is appreciated!

TSR3 8* w Autoflex 505x shaft
Titleist 915fd w Fujikura Speeder Evolution IV 661 shaft
Titleist TSi3 4 hybrid w Fujikura Tour Spec Blue 7 

Miura CB1008 4i-PW w Oban CT-115 S shafts
Miura Tour Wedge HB 48*, Miura K Grind 2.0 54* & 60* w Oban Ct-115 wedge shafts
Scotty Cameron Red X center shafted putter (I love anything CS)
Titleist Prov1x

2 hours ago, misterkye said:

Not quite what I was expecting to find in this thread. Seems like we gots some super seniors in the wrx! 

Been trying to get my dad to move off of jdm irons and into the world of some super game improvement, or at least a set of distance players irons. He's a lefty, he's got a beautiful swing, but his age has caught up to him as he can no longer get it in the air, like he used to. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Got him a set of Tayloramde M-CGB irons, but was turned off by the shape of the iron heads. Want him to try the P790's but came to wrx to find some recs and stumbled upon this thread. Any help is appreciated!

How about JDM irons with regular flex graphite shafts or Nippon NS Pro 950GH regular flex light weight steel shafts.  Honma TW-X or Honma XP-1 are both distance players irons I believe. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sean2 said:

Nicklaus also said he'll take only 1 putt per green when playing socially; he picks up if he misses the first putt.  He doesn't want to grind over short putts any more.

Smart man!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, misterkye said:

Get him a set of ping 410/425 5 hybrid and 7 wood. These get the ball in the air easily. I am now playing the G 410 5 hybrid and the G 425 7 wood, and both are very easy to hit. He will have a huge smile hitting these.

Edited by platgof
  • Like 3

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

21 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

I've watched many guys hit if further than 200yds off the tee and contribute to slow Pop.  Being slow is a mental thing, plus connected to spraying the ball and youngsters hitting the bottle and gabbing with cart girls.  Most of the older guys I've teed it up with that hit driver 200yds straight don't typically walk to the blue or back tees.  

However, my buddy is 74 and hits it about 210yds, 220 pure.  Many times he's played the Blue tees with me.  He barely covers some demanding carry yardages but even though he's hitting way more shots than me, he easily keeps up. 

Last thought, golfers, historically, have been known for self-policing.  However, today, culturally, people don't self-police in life - they surely are not going to do it on a golf course.  Socially, we've created our own monsters.

Good points. 'Self-policing' is an uncomfortable thing for many people, because they don't want to get into arguments. Last year we tried to encourage a 2some to pick up the pace and one of them started getting irate, filled with obscenities. So we backed off and let them get an entire hole of distance between them and our 4some only to have the one guy shout obscenities at us from the green they were on all the way back to the tee, where we were waiting (par 4). The pro shop was called and talked with the 2some and that seemed to calm things down. Self-policing? At your own risk.

• Like 1

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW