2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

2019 US Open

flushem

> @M4TT said:

> lol there's no way Phil is winning this, let alone another major.

Probably true. His game seems to be good for a couple of months at this age.

This course is a better than average shot for him though, given the number of non-driver holes.

That being said, I think there is more focus on his name this week because it's the US Open. The same things about the course would be true if it was the PGA. But I'd bet there would be a lot less Phil talk if it was the PGA.

> @agolf1 said:

> > @M4TT said:

> > lol there's no way Phil is winning this, let alone another major.

> Probably true. His game seems to be good for a couple of months at this age.

>

> This course is a better than average shot for him though, given the number of non-driver holes.

>

> That being said, I think there is more focus on his name this week because it's the US Open. The same things about the course would be true if it was the PGA. But I'd bet there would be a lot less Phil talk if it was the PGA.

I think a big focus is that he won at Pebble earlier this year. Obviously it's a completely different golf course, but that momentum (or at least the media-created momentum) is there

WITB
Taylormade SIM2 10.5* Ventus Black 6X
Taylormade SIM 19* AD-DI 7X

Taylormade Stealth 3h Ventus Blue 9X
Mizuno MP-69 4-PW Modus 120 S
Vokey SM9 50 - 55 - 60 DGTI S400 

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6

This is, I believe, the shortest major championship course currently in the rotation. Just under 7100 yards. This brings a ton of guys into play...if you can hit it straight. McDowell had a hell of a week at Pebble noine years ago; not a long hitter but was deadly accurate with the irons. DJ, one of the longest, was in prime position to win but this is not a bomb and gouge course.

The shorter course sets up perfectly for the “new Tiger”; he’s been one of the best (if not the best) iron players over the last year and a half, and if he can keep it in the fairways with 3 woods and 3 irons; he will be right there come Sunday.

• Like 1

> @fillwelix said:

> > @agolf1 said:

> > > @M4TT said:

> > > lol there's no way Phil is winning this, let alone another major.

> > Probably true. His game seems to be good for a couple of months at this age.

> >

> > This course is a better than average shot for him though, given the number of non-driver holes.

> >

> > That being said, I think there is more focus on his name this week because it's the US Open. The same things about the course would be true if it was the PGA. But I'd bet there would be a lot less Phil talk if it was the PGA.

>

> I think a big focus is that he won at Pebble earlier this year. Obviously it's a completely different golf course, but that momentum (or at least the media-created momentum) is there

Probably. As a huge Phil fan I've had this one on the radar for a while. On the radar like his last shot (good luck at Winged Foot and Torey Pines).

I think this course, even in the summer, fits as well as any of the three US majors. I know he's won at Augusta but I'd say Pebble is just as good a setup if not better at this point.

I dont know the Open courses in detail enough to know if there's one more shot there in the upcoming lineup.

> @thekanga said:

> > @BobMorris said:

> > I also think that the pace of play with multiple amateurs in each group puts some players off...not that they'd admit to it mind you.

>

> Is this because the Ams play too quickly and would throw them off their slow routines?

>

The kind of Am's that play every year at Pebble, aren't the same 3 hr rabbits you find at your local muni.....trust me.

> @"Ronnie Mundt" said:

> This is, I believe, the shortest major championship course currently in the rotation. Just under 7100 yards. This brings a ton of guys into play...if you can hit it straight. McDowell had a **** of a week at Pebble noine years ago; not a long hitter but was deadly accurate with the irons. DJ, one of the longest, was in prime position to win but this is not a bomb and gouge course.

> The shorter course sets up perfectly for the “new Tiger”; he’s been one of the best (if not the best) iron players over the last year and a half, and if he can keep it in the fairways with 3 woods and 3 irons; he will be right there come Sunday.

I think Merion was about this yardage. Although Merion seemed to have some very long par 3s and 4s (seems like some of them played longer than 2, 9, 10 at Pebble).

I think Phil and Tiger's chances are being underestimated

- shorter course

- they are Cali boys

- they know the grasses on the green and around the green

Brooks and DJ and Rors are generally big boy course favorites, though Rors has proven that wrong at the Canadian and The Players

• Like 1

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Cally AI Smoke 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

> @cardoustie said:

> I think Phil and Tiger's chances are being underestimated

> - shorter course

> - they are Cali boys

> - they know the grasses on the green and around the green

> Brooks and DJ and Rors are generally big boy course favorites, though Rors has proven that wrong at the Canadian and The Players

I'm a huge Phil fan but he's shown no form in months and typically doesn't handle expectations great. Everyone knows this is his last realistic shot (if you even think it's realistic). I don't have him contending.

Tiger deserves status as a top 5 favorite for this event.

Brooks, DJ, Rory are good enough to win anywhere but this course gives everyone a level field. At Bethpage no one was going to beat those 3 if any of them brought their A game. No surprise they all finished top 10. Pebble being shorter gives the good approach shot guys like Tiger, Molinari, Spieth, Rose just as much opportunity as those guys. Based on recent form and major performance I have Tiger and Spieth in my top 5. I'd have Molinari but I still want to see what kind of scar tissue his Masters meltdown creates.

> @M4TT said:

> lol there's no way Phil is winning this, let alone another major.

I'd never count him out. As was stated in this thread, he did win on this course, although it was set up differently. A win for him here would be epic, but not as epic as a Tiger win. And I wouldn't be shocked to see YJS contend, as he's been trending lately.

Pulling for Tiger!

> @agolf1 said:

> > @fillwelix said:

> > I think a big focus is that he won at Pebble earlier this year. Obviously it's a completely different golf course, but that momentum (or at least the media-created momentum) is there

> Probably. As a huge Phil fan I've had this one on the radar for a while. On the radar like his last shot (good luck at Winged Foot and Torey Pines).

>

> I think this course, even in the summer, fits as well as any of the three US majors. I know he's won at Augusta but I'd say Pebble is just as good a setup if not better at this point.

>

> I dont know the Open courses in detail enough to know if there's one more shot there in the upcoming lineup.

Certainly does fit him as well as the others, I think the length will help him where he won't need to bomb it off the planet (and inevitably end up in trouble)

Still picking Spieth though, he's due to break out this year

WITB

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6

If Adam Scott sticks with the broom, he is my DARKHORSE at PB ... he played incredibly well at Jack's event and just got buzz sawed by a single hot golfer

• Like 2

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Cally AI Smoke 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

> @cardoustie said:

> If Adam Scott sticks with the broom, he is my DARKHORSE at PB ... he played incredibly well at Jack's event and just got buzz sawed by a single hot golfer

I like Adam Scott but feel like he would need a 10 shot lead at the turn on Sunday to have a decent shot at winning.

Unless he and Phil are in a two-horse race. In this case, maybe AS could "throw it away less."

> @"Big A HG" said:

> Tiger was scheduled to play before his presser today, but now is not. Even though the circumstances certainly don't feel the same, it's hard not to think back to Bethpage. We'll see what he says in the presser.Tiger only played 9 holes total at Bethpage the week of the PGA. He’s already played 36 holes this week.

> @bladehunter said:

> > @M4TT said:

>

> Lol. Yea. Never say never when dealing with genius. He’s old. But remember. He isnt slow ... yet.

Where did Phil win this year.... hmm..... Someone hep me remember???? Oh wait!! IT WAS AT PEBBLE............ Yea, he has no shot. Hey, M4TT, please hold my coffee while I go roll on the floor and laugh at your comment.

> @Twism86 said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @M4TT said:

> >

> > Lol. Yea. Never say never when dealing with genius. He’s old. But remember. He isnt slow ... yet.

>

> Where did Phil win this year.... hmm..... Someone hep me remember???? Oh wait!! IT WAS AT PEBBLE............ Yea, he has no shot. Hey, M4TT, please hold my coffee while I go roll on the floor and laugh at your comment.

Something about the 6 MC's in a row is muffling your voice.

> @"Ronnie Mundt" said:

> This is, I believe, the shortest major championship course currently in the rotation. Just under 7100 yards. This brings a ton of guys into play...if you can hit it straight. McDowell had a **** of a week at Pebble noine years ago; not a long hitter but was deadly accurate with the irons. DJ, one of the longest, was in prime position to win but this is not a bomb and gouge course.

> The shorter course sets up perfectly for the “new Tiger”; he’s been one of the best (if not the best) iron players over the last year and a half, and if he can keep it in the fairways with 3 woods and 3 irons; he will be right there come Sunday.

I think that Phil would have a better chance if he went with the mini-driver that he used at Merion, Castle Stuart and Muirfield in 2013.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @bladehunter said:

> > @M4TT said:

>

> Lol. Yea. Never say never when dealing with genius. He’s old. But remember. He isnt slow ... yet.

Anyone that is willing to count out a champion like Phil does not watch much golf.. He is a consistent winner and his game has not changed at all. It rises and falls. He won at this course earlier this year for pete's sake. He "CAN" win. Will he, I don't know, I would say probably not. But to say he will never win another major is foolishness. he may not, but I would not at this point say he couldn't.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @QuigleyDU said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @M4TT said:

> >

> > Lol. Yea. Never say never when dealing with genius. He’s old. But remember. He isnt slow ... yet.

>

> Anyone that is willing to count out a champion like Phil does not watch much golf.. He is a consistent winner and his game has not changed at all. It rises and falls. He won at this course earlier this year for pete's sake. He "CAN" win. Will he, I don't know, I would say probably not. But to say he will never win another major is foolishness. he may not, but I would not at this point say he couldn't.

Sorry, my comments came across wrong. I think he has a chance. In fact I think even Victor Hovland has a chance, as does everyone in the field. If you count anyone out then you dont watch much golf.

That being said Phil is no where near a favorite. His record in the US Open weighs on the mind. He's always come up just short of what need be + the recent antics. He's had his fair share of chances and one could say after _x_ amount of runner ups he doesn't deserve it. It's cruel, but golf is.

If he could pull it off it might be the greatest sporting story ever.

> @Twism86 said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @M4TT said:

> >

>

> Where did Phil win this year.... hmm..... Someone hep me remember???? Oh wait!! IT WAS AT PEBBLE............ Yea, he has no shot. Hey, M4TT, please hold my coffee while I go roll on the floor and laugh at your comment.

Hey Twit86, before you laugh at someone else realize that other than the name and address it won’t be close to the same Pebble they see in spring time. So to anyone that says he won here it’s the same course etc. anyone will tell it is going to be very different especially from players.

> @Rangeballz said:

> > @bscinstnct said:

> > Looks like trouble

> >

> >

>

> I don't see that as unfair. Don't miss the green, and certainly don't miss on the wrong side. The course is short enough that accuracy will be critical to success.

Yeah it looks hard, but not unfair. He got the ball out of there and they have spotters finding the balls for them on almost every shot

WITB

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6

> @MilkyButterCuts said:

> > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > @M4TT said:

> > > > lol there's no way Phil is winning this, let alone another major.

> > >

> > > Lol. Yea. Never say never when dealing with genius. He’s old. But remember. He isnt slow ... yet.

> >

> > Anyone that is willing to count out a champion like Phil does not watch much golf.. He is a consistent winner and his game has not changed at all. It rises and falls. He won at this course earlier this year for pete's sake. He "CAN" win. Will he, I don't know, I would say probably not. But to say he will never win another major is foolishness. he may not, but I would not at this point say he couldn't.

>

> Sorry, my comments came across wrong. I think he has a chance. In fact I think even Victor Hovland has a chance, as does everyone in the field. If you count anyone out then you dont watch much golf.

>

> That being said Phil is no where near a favorite. His record in the US Open weighs on the mind. He's always come up just short of what need be + the recent antics. He's had his fair share of chances and one could say after _x_ amount of runner ups he doesn't deserve it. It's cruel, but golf is.

>

> If he could pull it off it might be the greatest sporting story ever.

agreed.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X