The Guardian on John Daly’s cart

Prut

> @gvogel said:

> > @dlygrisse said:

> > The irony of that article is that the writer comes across as a pretentious self-absorbed opinionated snob.

>

> Perhaps, but I'd date her.

>

> She likes to use irony to poke fun at this crazy world. She wrote a book, "How Entertainers Took Over the World, and Why We Need an Exit Strategy."

Well, okay.....I could get on board with that. :)

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

> @MattyO1984 said:

> Clearly, she is entitled to her opinion. I happen to disagree with it and I'm not a huge fan of the writing style. Thankfully, I don't buy or generally tend to read the Guardian.

>

> > @grm24 said:

> > Oh this tripe again. The only reason this is an issue is because of who applied for the cart. If it was a lesser name in professional golf or a club pro at the PGA it would not have been as issue or even covered. As proof Scott Verplank applied for and was granted the use of a cart in both the 2017 and 2018 Senior US Open. No faux anger/outrage and life continued on after Verplank used the cart. Yet JD applied for the use of a cart for the 2018 Senior US Open, didn't provide the required information to get the cart, he whined about it and some here were up in arms.

>

**> I think when it comes to any major if anyone were to ask for the use of a cart it would be an issue. **

>

I gave you an actual real world example of where an accomplished professional tour golfer applied for and was granted the use of a cart in the last two Senior US Open championships. It has not been brought up by nearly anybody here except for me. Therefore it was not a big deal.

> @toc said:

> > @grm24 said:

> > Oh this tripe again. The only reason this is an issue is because of who applied for the cart. If it was a lesser name in professional golf or a club pro at the PGA it would not have been as issue or even covered. As proof Scott Verplank applied for and was granted the use of a cart in both the 2017 and 2018 Senior US Open. No faux anger/outrage and life continued on after Verplank used the cart. Yet JD applied for the use of a cart for the 2018 Senior US Open, didn't provide the required information to get the cart, he whined about it and some here were up in arms.

>

> Have to disagree with you. Casey Martin caused quite the stir with his initial cart lawsuit and he wasn’t a known entity beforehand.

>

Where was everybody complaining about Scott Verplank being granted the use of a cart in the last two Senior US Opens. There was none. It was only an issue this year because of John Daly.

> @grm24 said:

> Where was everybody complaining about Scott Verplank being granted the use of a cart in the last two Senior US Opens. There was none. It was only an issue this year because of John Daly.

The US Senior Open != regular Tour majors. Moreover, the Champions Tour allows golfers to use carts during regular events.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

> @Philomathesq said:

> > @grm24 said:

>

> > Where was everybody complaining about Scott Verplank being granted the use of a cart in the last two Senior US Opens. There was none. It was only an issue this year because of John Daly.

>

> **The US Senior Open != regular Tour majors. **

It doesn't matter that a senior major is not an equal of a regular tour major so try again. The US Senior Open and The Senior PGA Championship are not PGA Champions Tour (owned) events. The fact that the Champions Tour allows carts for it's regular rank and file events does not matter to the USGA and PGA Senior championships. Same with the Senior Open Championship.

The US Senior Open on no level is the same as a PGA Champions Tour designated major such as The Tradition. Scott Verplank applied directly to the USGA for the use of a cart under the ADA for the 2017 and 2018 US Senior Open. He provided the required information to the USGA and they approved the use of the cart twice. Again nobody whined or complained about it or ever knew it happened. Last year after Daly was denied the use of a cart at the US Senior Open he managed to walk his two rounds the very next week at the Greenbriar. Daly then somehow managed to walk his two rounds at Bellerive and was able to muster the strength and courage to walk at 3 events on the European Tour (1 cut made) in the weeks following the PGA. Guess his appearance fee checks cleared.

That said John Daly applied for the use of a cart for the 2018 US Senior Open and was denied by the USGA. They requested more information from Daly and he did not provide it. Then he did what he does best. He whined and complained about it while playing the victim card. Even when Daly was provided a cart for the PGA Championship last week at Bethpage he tried to play the part of an aggrieved party. Daly had never accepted blame for his own personal issues and it appears at times his "fans" do not as well.

> @grm24 said:

> It doesn't matter that a senior major is not an equal of a regular tour major so try again. The US Senior Open and The Senior PGA Championship are not PGA Champions Tour (owned) events. The fact that the Champions Tour allows carts for it's regular rank and file events does not matter to the USGA and PGA Senior championships. Same with the Senior Open Championship.

>

> The US Senior Open on no level is the same as a PGA Champions Tour designated major such as The Tradition. Scott Verplank applied directly to the USGA for the use of a cart under the ADA for the 2017 and 2018 US Senior Open. He provided the required information to the USGA and they approved the use of the cart twice. Again nobody whined or complained about it or ever knew it happened. Last year after Daly was denied the use of a cart at the US Senior Open he managed to walk his two rounds the very next week at the Greenbriar. Daly then somehow managed to walk his two rounds at Bellerive and was able to muster the strength and courage to walk at 3 events on the European Tour (1 cut made) in the weeks following the PGA. Guess his appearance fee checks cleared.

>

> That said John Daly applied for the use of a cart for the 2018 US Senior Open and was denied by the USGA. They requested more information from Daly and he did not provide it. Then he did what he does best. He whined and complained about it while playing the victim card. Even when Daly was provided a cart for the PGA Championship last week at Bethpage he tried to play the part of an aggrieved party. Daly had never accepted blame for his own personal issues and it appears at times his "fans" do not as well.

Look, you and I are on the same side of this argument. I think allowing Daly, Martin, or anyone else to use a cart is a joke. My statement was merely an attempt at explaining why nobody made a big stink over Verplank's request. The simple fact of the matter is that cart usage, at the professional level, for tournaments and events at the Senior level is much more common, understandable, and accepted. Hence, there isn't going to be as much concern over a player using a cart when he us competing against others that could also use a cart.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

Golf is a sport, there are rules to the sport (some say too many) and at a professional level there are even more rules. One of those rules is you walk the course, as that is considered part of the challenge. Unlike Martin who suffered from a birth defect, Daly is an example of everything a professional athlete should not be. I think its a bad precedent and a bad look for golf so I hope the R&A has the guts to deny him the use of a cart.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

If you are not a regular guardian reader then maybe you dont get that Marina Hyde writes atricles dripping with sarcasm - mostly poking fun at the absurdity in life taking daft arguments to the extreme

This is not a 'serious' golf report......

• Like 2

Taylor Made SIM max 10.5 - Aldila Rogue 110 60 s

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15 - Even Flow Blue 6.0

Srixon zu85 3i / Titleist TS2 5w

Titleist TMb 4i

Mizuno Mp59 5-pw - KBS C-taper lite S

Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron Newport

> @Prut said:

> I don’t see it being as much about Daly as it is about the laws of our land being as applicable to a multi-billion entertainment/sports complex as they are to little mom and pop businesses where disability issues are concerned.

That was the debate when Casey brought up his appeal. Now, it's settled law. People don't like the idea of Daly having the accommodation thinking if he lost weight and was in better physical shape, his health problems would be lessened. And it's hard to disagree with that.

• Like 1

> @grm24 said:

> > @MattyO1984 said:

> > Clearly, she is entitled to her opinion. I happen to disagree with it and I'm not a huge fan of the writing style. Thankfully, I don't buy or generally tend to read the Guardian.

> >

> > > @grm24 said:

> > > Oh this tripe again. The only reason this is an issue is because of who applied for the cart. If it was a lesser name in professional golf or a club pro at the PGA it would not have been as issue or even covered. As proof Scott Verplank applied for and was granted the use of a cart in both the 2017 and 2018 Senior US Open. No faux anger/outrage and life continued on after Verplank used the cart. Yet JD applied for the use of a cart for the 2018 Senior US Open, didn't provide the required information to get the cart, he whined about it and some here were up in arms.

> >

> **> I think when it comes to any major if anyone were to ask for the use of a cart it would be an issue. **

> >

> I gave you an actual real world example of where an accomplished professional tour golfer applied for and was granted the use of a cart in the last two Senior US Open championships. It has not been brought up by nearly anybody here except for me. Therefore it was not a big deal.

>

As much as you may want the a senior US Open to be considered in the same vain as a regular major, it's not. Just ask Monty if he would trade his senior US Open for a regular US Open and that tells you all you need to know. They are rightfully looked at differently.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Great Writing!!

Favorite Quote “...served as one of those bi-weekly reminders of how it’s possible to love Woods and absolutely hate pretty much everything about him. I guess each man has his appetites to master, so it did make me wonder if Woods ever had ?? with any of his cocktail waitresses with a broken leg. If so: well done, champ. You’re a real hero.”

• 1 month later...

Admittedly, I’m anti- cart in any professional or high level amateur event, (you’re never going to convince me that Congress intended the ADA to apply to professional sports), but what bothers me about the Daly situation is that I heard him say before the PGA that he couldn’t get a knee replacement due to the specifics of his knee issue, and now he issues a statement where he says that he’ll probably have to get the knee replacement. One of these statements is garbage, maybe both.

The facts are changing based on what Daly thinks is going to favor him today. I’ve always had a bit of a soft spot for Daly but his dumpster fire of a life has come home to roost and he ought to take it like a man.

• Like 1

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

> @imakaveli said:

> This sums it up pretty nicely:

>

I agree with this tweet but such a shame that Tweeter Allis has gone all political on his Twitter feed, boring.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

> @grm24 said:

> > @Steele47 said:

> > > @grm24 said:

> > > > @Steele47 said:

> > > > > @"Mr. Hogan" said:

> > > > > Too much is being made of this. Let fat slob John Daly use his cart, avoid the inevitable lawsuit (remember that John Daly sued a tour sponsor that gave him an exemption to an event because someone took a photo in his backswing), and when that execrable bag of donuts misses the cut by 10 strokes we can move on with life.

> > > >

> > > > You think Daly would file an inevitable lawsuit in Northern Ireland? Not saying you're wrong but just seems kinda far fetched.

> > >

> > > I doubt the ADA covers JD in Ireland.

> >

> > Ya think?... Wrote that with what I thought was obvious sarcasm..

> Guess you missed by obvious sarcasm as well. Next time I'll drop a **/s** after my post so there is no confusion. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I can assure you that if you make it plain that sarcasm is in use, some of these goofballs (Not all) will miss it all together. Some can't read (not all) and some that can read, simply don't understand what they are reading...But, yet still they're compelled to comment on every post.

He abused his body for years. No one forced him to do it. On top of that, he doesn't exercise. Takes digs at others who do.

Eats, drinks, smokes, etc. to the extreme. Fine. Your choices pal. But, it all lead to his current physical shape. Now he wants

to be treated as if he's 'disabled'? And receive exemptions from a fundamental part of the pro game, walking?

Uh, no. I applaud the Open R&A. Walk like everyone else. Or don't turn up to the Open and do us all a favour.

And before anyone jumps in and defends Daly because he has osteoarthritis in his knee. Poor diet consisting of processed and ultra-processed food, in addition to many staples within the western diet (night shades), lead to inflammation of the joints. When you eat, drink, and smoke in excess, the way Daly has, you end up where he currently is, obese. That additional weight plus lack of exercise compounds any joint disease and degradation. Which leads to the joint issues he now has.