Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

2 hours ago, MountainKing said:

Yesterday was the wet/windy combo.  It was nice getting out, but honestly the fun factor went down each hole.  We were trying to figure out how many strokes the conditions added yesterday.  It was an odd experinece at Carillon where cause of the routing most of the holes were into the wind, and holes where I would normally be hitting 8 or 9 irons into I was hitting 4 irons/hybrids and even a 3 wood at one point into.    Downwind it didn't really do much help either, it was blowing so hard that the wind woudl just knock the ball out of the sky.  On top of the wind, there was no area on the course where water didn't come up if you took a step, other than greens that were sitting a bit higher, very difficult to keep fotting when swinging.  I don't remember the last time I had a ball plug, let alone have it be almost expected every hole.   Hopefully things start letting up a bit, I'm not much for adverse conditions and don't get much joy out of being out or playing in them.  I absolutley shouldn't be living in Chicago.  

My friends who have been out this year are saying the courses are bombed out.  I always hope for April golf but May may be the norm now.  April is so unpredictable.

Whitetail Ridge and Blackberry Oaks today. I hadn't played either and wanted to get in WTR before their rates jack way up. It's good but it's not a $65-$100 facility. However, the $40 Spring rate felt more than fair. Overall, I enjoyed the variety and have a soft spot for Greg Martin designs, though the front and back are basically two different courses. The front is smashed into a pit while the back has lots of gently rolling terrain. I really don't get why they don't even offer a walking rate since it wasn't even a remotely challenging walk. I mean, I understand why they want the cart revenue but c'mon. Let's not act like WTR actually has elevation change. Anyway, the greens were fair but on the slow side. Given all the moisture I wasn't expecting much in the way of pace but the green complexes are big enough that I'm assuming they can get those moving at 10.5/11 in the summer. Bear hit 13/13 fairways while I was a little wild. I hit the pin on 17 and made my only birdie of the round on that hole. Managed a 76. 

Blackberry Oaks is one of those places that we've always thought about playing but never got around to. We don't exactly live near Oswego but, since we were in the area we figured we'd check it out. Given the distance yet high slope I was expecting it to be like Arboretum. Just a lot of target golf on a 6400 yard course with a bunch of water. However, it felt more like the front nine at Marengo Ridge. Overall, it was nothing special but it did have some holes that made one think off the tee. The bunkers were junk. Visible liners in every greenside one and they hadn't been groomed in a while. I will say this; if anyone has a thing for courses with lots of commercial freight train traffic, Blackberry Oaks is the course for you. We had four freight trains go right past us during the round. Was the whistle obnoxiously blown repeatedly? You know it. I left a few strokes on the course but got into a nice groove for the last 5-6 holes. 77. 

• Like 3

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Busy weekend..... Saturday - Cog #1.  Oh boy, obviously it was CPO, so I walked and carried my bag.   Probably the wettest condition''s I've ever played in. Not too many drives that didn't plug.  I was pretty spent by the time we finished.  they are aerating #1 this week, so I'd stay away for at least a month.... or a year.

Sunday - Blackstone GC.   Unlike Cog, the course was dry (except couple holes in the woods, that I'm pretty sure are always CPO), and the carts were allowed on the course. Course conditions? Check..... Weather (temperature)? Check..... Wind????   DAYMN!    Had to be one of the (if not THE) windiest I've ever played in.   It was so bad, it was almost comical.   Game is very much rusty - had some decent shots, and some real head scratchers, short game was non-existant, and putting....  let's not go there.   

FWIW, I've heard from a semi-reliable source that there's talk of closing down Ruffled Feathers.  I guess time will tell if true, but with Gleneagles closing, Big Run probably on its' last legs, it would be a shame.   I won't even bring up rumors about Cog...

• Like 3

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

6 minutes ago, stasek said:

Saturday - Cog #1.  Oh boy, obviously it was CPO, so I walked and carried my bag.   Probably the wettest condition''s I've ever played in. Not too many drives that didn't plug.  I was pretty spent by the time we finished.  they are aerating #1 this week, so I'd stay away for at least a month.... or a year.

... Just such a shame that after Joe Jemsek died Cog Hill turned into a money grab when Joe was all about a CC experience for a public golfer. He didn't allow cart paths, the course was always in good to great condition and if you didn't keep pace you were asked to pick up and go to the next hole and if still behind pace you were asked to leave with a full refund. Joe aerated 1/2 the green putting the pin on the clean half then 2 weeks later aerated the other half putting the pin on the sealed half. Before moving to Phoenix, 2 summers ago I don't think the aeration ever recovered. Hard to recognize what was once a nice course with the shape it is in today.  

• Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra Aerojet 20* 7 wood* ... Kai'Li 70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/49*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

28 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Just such a shame that after Joe Jemsek died Cog Hill turned into a money grab when Joe was all about a CC experience for a public golfer. He didn't allow cart paths, the course was always in good to great condition and if you didn't keep pace you were asked to pick up and go to the next hole and if still behind pace you were asked to leave with a full refund. Joe aerated 1/2 the green putting the pin on the clean half then 2 weeks later aerated the other half putting the pin on the sealed half. Before moving to Phoenix, 2 summers ago I don't think the aeration ever recovered. Hard to recognize what was once a nice course with the shape it is in today.  

The greens, while on the slow side, were actually the highlight of the course.   Probably better than the greens on #2 are all year round (don't remember them being in even a decent shape in years).  

• Like 2

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

10 hours ago, chisag said:

We had permanent tee times on Sundays starting in 1991. The "keep pace" rule was poorly enforced. The rangers would hang around the 18th hole acting like Barney Fife, never monitoring the pace of play on other holes. This resulted in 4somes literally running thru the last couple holes to make sure they kept pace. Back then, it was 3 strikes and apparently loss of permanent tee rime 

15 hcp

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

White Hawk Grey to Silver today. I’ve settled on a driver/3 wood shaft and weights set up after some cold weather tinkering and it’s paying off big time. White Hawk also drains very well so I had good lies and few mud balls. The greens there were extremely smooth and rolling at a 10. I’m not sure how they keep that place in such good shape given the fact that it’s open year round but props to their staff. The bunkers all need sand and I’ve been saying that for a few seasons now but that’s my lone critique and I stayed off the beach today. I started -2 through the first three holes with birdies on 1 and 3 and only dropped two shots the rest of the round (bogies on 7 Grey and 4 Silver) to shoot a 72. Good to get back into the land of negative indexes. Outstanding weather today. High 60’s and sunny with a pretty consistent 15 mph breeze. 

Edited by ldchristopher
  • Like 2

Piretti Cottonwood II

21 hours ago, chisag said:

I'm flying in Mid May to O'hare, en route to WI for a golf trip, and was planning on playing Cog #4 the afternoon I fly in. Reading these reviews from you guys, would you consider any other courses as opposed to the Dubs?

1 hour ago, Madhoshi said:

I'm flying in Mid May to O'hare, en route to WI for a golf trip, and was planning on playing Cog #4 the afternoon I fly in. Reading these reviews from you guys, would you consider any other courses as opposed to the Dubs?

IMO, Dubs is still top notch golf course - most of the complaints are regarding the other 3 courses.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thought my round was at Hilldale, but I realized when I was in the clubhouse that it was at Mount Prospect. I left in a rush but forgot I grabbed a water bottle from their cooler and took it with me in a panic and didn’t pay for it. As I’m driving to Mount Prospect, I realize this and call them to pay. They say just pay next time I’m in. I had punched Hilldale into my gps to get their number and then start driving back there for a few minutes because my head is spinning in a rush to get to Mount Prospect. I turn around, barely make my tee time, and again make no putts at Mount Prospect.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Definitely Dubs over Cantigny. Cantigny is a fine course, but Dubs is Dubs. Yeah, conditions have been less than perfect on occasion, but it's still a PGA caliber layout. 

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

9 hours ago, mci711 said:

I'd play dubs over Cantigny. I'm not positive dubs is better, but I think I prefer it. Cantigny is kind of a pain, love the course, but every time I go it is a 5+ hour round. 

I always felt Cantigny was as much about the setting and ambiance as the golf. Love the place but something about the course and layout just doesn't do it for me, cannot figure out what or why. Maybe it's the par 5 with the 90* turn at the very end.

Played hooky yesterday and met one of the guys from our group at Blackstone.  For early in the season, the course is in amazing shape with possibly the best bunkers I've played out of in the last few years.  Real sand, and enough to where you can actually anchor your feet.  They've done the old way of aerating, which is to do half the green, roll and sand it and then do the other half a week or so later.  That did lead to a couple of interesting putts that went from extremely fast to stunningly slow but all in all, the greens were at Blackstone speed.  Played in 3:30 which was wonderful as well and that time could have been faster if the group in front of us would have let us play through.  We let 2 single so through as there was no reason to slow them down.  Be respectful people.

My one criticism is that Blackstone needs new range balls as the ones they have are really beat up.

At least it was nice to just play in shorts and a polo.

• Like 4

Apparently Milf Creek is reopening tomorrow.  Rather interesting email:

MILL CREEK GOLF CLUB IS OPENING!

We are excited to announce we will be opening the course this Thursday, April 14th.  We do not have all of our riding carts in yet so we will be taking tee times from 9am to Noon as we have limited carts available.

The driving range will not be open yet, but the practice putting green will be ready for use on Thursday.

Please note our NEW phone number is (630) 232-4311

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavePelz4 said:

Played hooky yesterday and met one of the guys from our group at Blackstone.  For early in the season, the course is in amazing shape with possibly the best bunkers I've played out of in the last few years.  Real sand, and enough to where you can actually anchor your feet.  They've done the old way of aerating, which is to do half the green, roll and sand it and then do the other half a week or so later.  That did lead to a couple of interesting putts that went from extremely fast to stunningly slow but all in all, the greens were at Blackstone speed.  Played in 3:30 which was wonderful as well and that time could have been faster if the group in front of us would have let us play through.  We let 2 single so through as there was no reason to slow them down.  Be respectful people.

My one criticism is that Blackstone needs new range balls as the ones they have are really beat up.

At least it was nice to just play in shorts and a polo.

Best course conditions, worst range balls. That’s when the machine actually accepts the token 😂.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

16 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

Thought my round was at Hilldale, but I realized when I was in the clubhouse that it was at Mount Prospect. I left in a rush but forgot I grabbed a water bottle from their cooler and took it with me in a panic and didn’t pay for it. As I’m driving to Mount Prospect, I realize this and call them to pay. They say just pay next time I’m in. I had punched Hilldale into my gps to get their number and then start driving back there for a few minutes because my head is spinning in a rush to get to Mount Prospect. I turn around, barely make my tee time, and again make no putts at Mount Prospect.

you have entered the Twilight Zone 

• Like 1

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Played Schaumburg on Monday morning and what a pleasure it was 

a bit chilly with the clouds and wind but very pleasant overall

they had cut and rolled the greens and they were pure

Only my second time there ever

last summer played Tournament /Players

monday we played Players /Baer

have played all three 9’s now

Would love to get in a 27 hole day there at some point 

Edited by geochitown

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

7 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

We are excited to announce we will be opening the course this Thursday, April 14th.  We do not have all of our riding carts in yet so we will be taking tee times from 9am to Noon as we have limited carts available.

The driving range will not be open yet, but the practice putting green will be ready for use on Thursday.

I received the same e-mail. It wound up (rightfully) in my spam folder. I played the course one time in 2008. Wow, an elephant never forgets.

• Haha 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Played a 5 man scramble on Sunday at Hawk's View. Cart path only! Tees were on the back of tee boxes, tough sidehill pins and crazy wind made for a rather long day. Over 6.5 hours. And the par 3's were brutal... But I really enjoy that place and the dinner they served afterwards was phenomenal.

Interesting note.... Winning score was 8 shots lower than last year. Definitely a fun, but challenging day! 

20220410_150350.jpg

20220410_150107.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

Who even owns and operates Milf Creek these days. Arcis dumped it and I figured that would be the kill shot. 

Piretti Cottonwood II

28 minutes ago, ldchristopher said:

Who even owns and operates Milf Creek these days. Arcis dumped it and I figured that would be the kill shot. 

Some Saudi investment fund

• Like 2

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Is Calumet CC worth playing if I am driving past on my way to Erin Hills?

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

51 minutes ago, ldchristopher said:

Owner... Good question. 

Operator... Everyone's favorite, GolfVisions!!

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

40 minutes ago, BEND OF THE RIVER GC said:

Is Calumet CC worth playing if I am driving past on my way to Erin Hills?

The layout is good. It’s a Donald Ross design that’s been around since 1901. I think it’s better than Ravisloe across the street. But it went public a few years ago and the new owner has made clear his plan to redevelop it (very long story short, the community is trying to block the sale so it doesn’t become a warehouse or fulfillment center or something and there are some zoning technicalities that they’re clinging to) so conditioning could be iffy. You’ll go past much better courses on the way to EH though. I’ll say this, Calumet will be waaaaaay different than EH. 

Edited by ldchristopher
  • Like 2

Piretti Cottonwood II