2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

5 hours ago, cpeck12 said:

Yeah it was pretty wet when I played last Wednesday for the league. Hopefully these temps the next few days dry it out. It also seemed like they hadn't cut the rough in forever.

Left side of the fairway on the 2nd about 150 out had to be over 12" high. Incredible.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Played Redtail today. The greens were in the best shape they’ve been in this year. Ball rolled true all but once. My fault I saw a ball mark not repaired well and should of flattened it some more. Fairways were getting decent roll. Still a few low spots that need some drying out. 

• Like 2

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

The greens that I've been on this year weren't terrible, but the cold weather up until this point haven't helped them. The warmer weather should green them up and thicken them up. 

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Schaumburg’s green were amazing on Friday, April 29

Glen Club’s greens were in great shape o n Monday, May 2

i heard Pine Meadow was a mess today, greens also not so good. 

this dry warm weather should help dry everything out and allow the courses to get caught up with their mowing 

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

10 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

The greens that I've been on this year weren't terrible, but the cold weather up until this point haven't helped them. The warmer weather should green them up and thicken them up. 

Agreed, I am four rounds in and have yet to play on nice greens.  This weather has been rough on courses.  Chance #5 this week at UofI orange course, hopefully being further south means better conditions. 

11 hours ago, geochitown said:

Schaumburg’s green were amazing on Friday, April 29

Glen Club’s greens were in great shape o n Monday, May 2

i heard Pine Meadow was a mess today, greens also not so good. 

this dry warm weather should help dry everything out and allow the courses to get caught up with their mowing 

Great...our next comp round is at PM.  Hopefully they put some effort into making them pristine.

3 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

Great...our next comp round is at PM.  Hopefully they put some effort into making them pristine.

When are you playing? Saturday?

I was there on Friday. The greens were crap. The worst I played on so far this season. The course needed a TON of work. 

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

1 minute ago, TheBear95 said:

I was there on Friday. The greens were crap. The worst I played on so far this season. The course needed a TON of work. 

... What a bummer. I remember when PM first opened after Jemsek purchased it and we drove from Near North Chicago to play it and it was so worth the drive and fighting traffic. Just a great layout, pristine conditions and one of the few courses where each hole was pretty much by itself with no homes. At that time I thought it was one of the best courses in the Chicago area. 

• Like 3

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    CobraAerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra King Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

16 minutes ago, TheBear95 said:

When are you playing? Saturday?

Hey Bear...think our tee time is 10ish.  Knowing how much you play to hear those greens are the worst, isn't inspiring a lot of hope.

7 minutes ago, chisag said:

... What a bummer. I remember when PM first opened after Jemsek purchased it and we drove from Near North Chicago to play it and it was so worth the drive and fighting traffic. Just a great layout, pristine conditions and one of the few courses where each hole was pretty much by itself with no homes. At that time I thought it was one of the best courses in the Chicago area. 

3 minutes ago, DavePelz4 said:

Hey Bear...think our tee time is 10ish.  Knowing how much you play to hear those greens are the worst, isn't inspiring a lot of hope.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but... I've played 22 rounds so far in 2022 at 22 different Chicagoland courses. PM greens were the worst so far. And, it wasn't close.

However, we have had a perfect week of weather. Here's hoping for a significant improvement. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

30 minutes ago, chisag said:

I'll cut PM some slack here, to a point. The weather last week was terrible and definitely limited course maintenance everywhere. Since then, we have had perfect weather. No rain, sun and finally some heat. I would imagine and hope that the course conditions at PM would be strikingly better this Friday compared to last. 

However, for a more "premium" course, I find that PM maintenance lacks especially in comparison to its peers. This is an on-going issue, not just in 2022. For example, if you're a cart golfer looking to play prime-time this Saturday the rate at PM is $97. In comparison, it is $103 at Stonewall, $97 at ThunderHawk and $74 at Shepherds. Same time, with a cart. However, PM maintenance is not at the same level as those facilities.

The layout is still fantastic. And, don't get me wrong, I like playing the course. But, definitely some buyer beware.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

6 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

Yeah, the greens were in rough shape last Friday. They still had visible punch marks (is there a course that punches more than PM?) and putts were not rolling smoothly at all. As Bear said, last Friday was understandable since it poured seemingly all week but I’ll be interested to read about what they’re like after a dry, warm, humid week. PM almost never runs their greens fast, which is aggravating because the putting surfaces there are certainly big enough to get them moving at a decent pace. However, they’re usually at least pretty smooth. 

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

With the weather finally being nice,  it's time to start those after work rounds at Willowcrest. Glad to see 18 holes still exist.   Course was in good shape, all things considered with the weather we've had.  Greens weren't great but they were very playable, still very soft.  Pace was great,  the 4 of us got through in 2:45 with an almost empty course.

With the heat the body felt good today.  Great tee to green,  around the greens not so much.   4 bogies and a bunch of pars for a 74.  I'm a rare fan of this oppressive heat.

• Like 3

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Ease up on those steroids DP.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Playing Cantigny for the first time this Sunday. I'm ashamed to say it's my first time since I've lived in Glen Ellyn for 3 years now, but it's just never worked out previously and Village Links is so easy to get onto given it's 5min away... Lakeside/Woodside. Can't wait!

• Like 1

Titleist TSi2 Titleist TS2 3w Titleist TS2 Hybrid Titleist T100 5-PW Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, 60* Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport

25 minutes ago, cpeck12 said:

Playing Cantigny for the first time this Sunday. I'm ashamed to say it's my first time since I've lived in Glen Ellyn for 3 years now, but it's just never worked out previously and Village Links is so easy to get onto given it's 5min away... Lakeside/Woodside. Can't wait!

Played there the first time last year. It was very nice. Hopefully you have someone in your group that has some course knowledge. I definitely found out putting the ball on the right spot on the fairway can be helpful.

• Like 1

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

6 minutes ago, Markrip said:

Played there the first time last year. It was very nice. Hopefully you have someone in your group that has some course knowledge. I definitely found out putting the ball on the right spot on the fairway can be helpful.

Yeah we have 3 groups and I know the guys in mine grew up playing it and still do. So at least I'll have that going for me.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi2 Titleist TS2 3w Titleist TS2 Hybrid Titleist T100 5-PW Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, 60* Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport

17 hours ago, cpeck12 said:

Yeah we have 3 groups and I know the guys in mine grew up playing it and still do. So at least I'll have that going for me.

Isn't the game so much more enjoyable when at least one person in the group can say with confidence, hit it there - and everyone has a chance to be part of a team atmosphere?

really like that emphasis.....

hope you all have a great time

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Arboretum today with Bear. It was his first time there and he was chomping at the bit to finally play there. The “smashed into a housing development” layout suits his game since course management is a speciality of his. I made Lost Marsh comparisons in the past but another set of eyes reminded me it’s more like Ruffled Feathers. 

The course was in very good shape. They added fresh sand to the bunkers, the greens were smooth and stimping at about 9.5 and the rough had been cut. I don’t like that some greens are dirt-based while others are sand-based but all in all, $55 felt like a fair weekend walking rate. No birdies but I hit 11 greens and had a stellar green-side wedge game. 75. We both left some strokes out there though. Could have done without the off-and-on showers but it was light, playable rain. 

• Like 3

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

On 5/13/2022 at 8:54 AM, DavePelz4 said:

Played hooky and joined the other old guys at Blackstone yesterday.  Have probably played 50-75 rounds there, and the conditions right now are flawless. No discernable mosquitos BTW.  The course is playing lightening fast and I'd guess the greens were running around 12-13. The bunkers had fresh sand and had been prepared in the morning.

Will complain that their range balls are beat up badly and they don't seemed to have been washed this year.  They've over taken Oak Grove as the worst range balls which is surprising considering everything else.

Not sure exactly what was happening yesterday but the ball was flying like it hasn't in years.  For example, my normal 8i is 145-150. Yesterday on 7 I had 153 stick, into the wind.  Knowing the greens were firm, I wanted to land it a bit short and let it release to the hole.  When the ball left the club face i actually thought I might jar it as it was on the perfect line.  To my utter dismay, the ball flew the green and carried in the 180 range.  I'm not VNutz who nukes the ball, but that happened on 5 holes, including #6 where a 52 degree wedge to a back pin at 127 not only flew the green but whizzed past a guy on the 7th tee and went all the way into the water on the right.  The guy appropriately gave me grief for not yelling fore and I apologized not understanding what happened.  Guessing that wedge went in the 150-160 range.  So it just wasn't down wind shots which would make a bit of sense as my ball flight is quite high. Post round i did offer to buy the guys i almost hit a drink but they graciously declined.

By the end of the round I was totally lost on what club to pull. Tomorrow is out next comp round at Pine Meadow and I'm thinking a bit of extra range time might be needed to figure things out.

I played Blackstone today too. Course in great condition, but the bottoms of a few bunkers were thin. I bogeyed 18 to shoot 70, my third best round ever.

• Like 3

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Had a late morning tee time at Orchard Valley and the place was a complete ghost town.  Given the (lack of?) spring we’ve had in Chicagoland I was expecting a full tee sheet but we only saw a few other groups on the entire course yesterday. We turned at around 1 and the range was bare, then finished just after 2:30 and the first tee/putting green was empty. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade M2 9° Fujikuri Pro Stiff
Ping I3 2-PW Blue
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 52°
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 56°
Ping Karsten Ally i Putter