2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Phil needs to dump his instructor

tgreenwood11

> @wkuo3 said:

> He does not need a fix on his golf swing.

> He needs to find the fountain of youth. His is also plagued by Psoriatic Arthritis. He can have a more consistent golf game when he comes to term with his current condition. No one is 30 years old , forever !

I think the Arthritis is taking him out. Or the meds for his condition. He hasn't said much about the disease the past 2-3 years, even though he's alluded to focus and fatigue.

He's plenty strong, just doesn't have the stamina it seems. Maybe the new diet will help with that.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

> @RainShadow said:

> I think the Arthritis is taking him out. Or the meds for his condition. He hasn't said much about the disease the past 2-3 years, even though he's alluded to focus and fatigue.

> He's plenty strong, just doesn't have the stamina it seems. Maybe the new diet will help with that.

We all feel the lack of energy or stamina after certain age. Mine came when I passed 53. Body will not recover as fast as when we were younger. I used to have better score in the back nine as the come back kid in our group, but, it had been a total reversal after passing the mark of 61.

Used to love to tee up from the tips and now is searching for a more walker friendly golf course.

There will be a day when I will enjoy the executive type of short layout.

Phil was a very strong young man. Over use of his body throughout the years he had been in the spot of golf had finally showed the toll he has to pay.

I wonder if he could maintain his long fluid golf swing as Sam Snead did in his later years.

Lol. Calling a top 10 all time players swing “ incredibly flawed “ is very much the same as calling a billionaire “ broke “. FFS how do you people make this crap up ? Golf instruction has absolutely brain washed some to the point of no return.

Man created the golf swing. Here is no such thing as perfect. And no such thing as a guy at Phil’s level who is “ wrong “.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> Lol. Calling a top 10 all time players swing “ incredibly flawed “ is very much the same as calling a billionaire “ broke “. FFS how do you people make this crap up ? Golf instruction has absolutely brain washed some to the point of no return.

>

> Man created the golf swing. Here is no such thing as perfect. And no such thing as a guy at Phil’s level who is “ wrong “.

You forget, true golf fans measure a golfers worth based on how good his swing is, not number of strokes taken, wins , money or anything else like that.

> @GoGoErky said:

> Guess superspeed isn’t helping

Actually there's some truth to this. Phil is my favorite golfer but he has always relied on timing and great hands when driving the ball. When he's on he's on. Off he's off. He has never been the model of consistentancy. The Superspeed program focuses on pure speed to the detriment of fundementals. I tried it and found myself lunging at the ball, getting handsy ect. I think this has really hurt Phil.

Having said that, does anyone want to buy a Superspeed system for a low price (KIDDING moderators) ?

> @wkuo3 said:

> He does not need a fix on his golf swing.

> He needs to find the fountain of youth. His is also plagued by Psoriatic Arthritis. He can have a more consistent golf game when he comes to term with his current condition. No one is 30 years old , forever !

He also has Philitis which can be a mental issue and also cause swing issues.

> @nosedive32 said:

> Phil has literally had the exact same golf swing his entire career. It's incredibly flawed from a fundamental standpoint and requires freakish talent and perfect timing to pull off. When he's on hes nearly unbeatable and when he's off he literally hits the ball both ways off the planet.

>

> Add in age, health issues, etc and there's going to be way more awful than great.

>

> Phil ramping up a focus on distance is just making inaccuracy worse.

>

> For all the senior tour talk get real. There's no way in **** Phil is going to the senior tour anytime soon. He's far too competitive and too talented to step away from the PGA tour. When he loses distance and literally can't make a PGA cut then it'll be a consideration bit that will be years from now.

I could see Phil playing in some senior majors after age 50. He doesnt have to go full-out on the Champions Tour right away...he could go the Stricker route and play a handful of each tour, but still win some trophies on the senior circuit. If he loves golf as much as he says he will come to grips with his age and play the most where he can win.

> @buckeyefl said:

> > @wkuo3 said:

> > He does not need a fix on his golf swing.

> > He needs to find the fountain of youth. His is also plagued by Psoriatic Arthritis. He can have a more consistent golf game when he comes to term with his current condition. No one is 30 years old , forever !

>

> He also has Philitis which can be a mental issue and also cause swing issues.

Well ? Don't we all like to believe that we're still 20 years old when we're actually twice or three times of that ?

Phil is a phenomenal golfer and also smart enough to understand where he is now.

> @wkuo3 said:

> > @buckeyefl said:

> > > @wkuo3 said:

> > > He does not need a fix on his golf swing.

> > > He needs to find the fountain of youth. His is also plagued by Psoriatic Arthritis. He can have a more consistent golf game when he comes to term with his current condition. No one is 30 years old , forever !

> >

> > He also has Philitis which can be a mental issue and also cause swing issues.

>

> Well ? Don't we all like to believe that we're still 20 years old when we're actually twice or three times of that ?

> Phil is a phenomenal golfer and also smart enough to understand where he is now.

>

>

Philitis has nothing to do with age. Hes had it since day 1.

> @tgreenwood11 said:

> His swing has gotten increasingly sloppy. Off balance, slidey; looks awful, particularly the longer clubs.

It wouldn't matter. Phil is smarter than everybody else. He doesn't listen to his instructor.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> > @Ferguson said:

> > Phil who?

> >

> >

> Well welcome back! Was afraid you'd gotten into a golf cart with Phil's brother. ;-)

Thanks. Had to recharge with the family on vacation.

I wouldn't go anywhere near Phil's 1/2 of brother. Phil needs to kick him off the bag (and the breast) and get his game back.

> @tgreenwood11 said:

> His swing has gotten increasingly sloppy. Off balance, slidey; looks awful, particularly the longer clubs.

He stopped caring when he parted with Bones. He and his Brother are just "living the dream" for a couple more years, then he'll do majors and "special invinte$"....If i were in his position, I would invite my baby Brother along for a 3 year joyride as well.

> @MountainGoat said:

> Phil openly embraced bomb & gouge this year and adjusted his equipment accordingly. He pays the price on courses where wayward shots are punished. He’ll be a star on the Senior tour.

i strongly disagree. The Senior Tour tournaments are super short, super wide fairways- generating weekly putting contests. Phil would be bored to tears watching David Toms 263 yards drives followed by 148 yard 7 irons and 24 puts per round. He may do the majors, just cause.

> @buckeyefl said:

> > @wkuo3 said:

> > > @buckeyefl said:

> > > > @wkuo3 said:

> > > > He does not need a fix on his golf swing.

> > > > He needs to find the fountain of youth. His is also plagued by Psoriatic Arthritis. He can have a more consistent golf game when he comes to term with his current condition. No one is 30 years old , forever !

> > >

> > > He also has Philitis which can be a mental issue and also cause swing issues.

> >

> > Well ? Don't we all like to believe that we're still 20 years old when we're actually twice or three times of that ?

> > Phil is a phenomenal golfer and also smart enough to understand where he is now.

> >

> >

>

> Philitis has nothing to do with age. Hes had it since day 1.

Wish I was born with Philitis.

• Like 1

> @Outlier said:

> He stopped caring when he parted with Bones. He and his Brother are just "living the dream" for a couple more years, **then he'll do majors and "special invinte$".**... >

Outside of 3 of the 4 majors and non WGC tour events Phil is exempt on the PGA Tour as a Life Member (20+ wins, 15 years on tour). He won't need special invite$ for standard PGA Tour events.

• Like 1

> @grm24 said:

> > @Outlier said:

> > He stopped caring when he parted with Bones. He and his Brother are just "living the dream" for a couple more years, **then he'll do majors and "special invinte$".**... >

> Outside of 3 of the 4 majors and non WGC tour events Phil is exempt on the PGA Tour as a Life Member (20+ wins, 15 years on tour). He won't need special invite$ for standard PGA Tour events.

Sorry, do you mean excluding 1 major (US Open) and WGCs/Playoffs, Phil is exempt? Agree he doesn't need anything for regular tour events based on his wins/years.

Based on his "waste of time" comment last year, I have wondered if he'll start adding easier events where he can still give it a whack and have a good time at some point. It didn't seem like much outside of Torrey Pines changed this year.

the recent weight loss was the best thing PM could do for his overall health, he looked great, you could tell he lost a lot around his waist....The Champions Tour better make all the money they can now, because if PM plays the Tour he will kick everyones ass because he doesn't have the yips like all the other Champions

> @agolf1 said:

> > @grm24 said:

> > > @Outlier said:

> > > He stopped caring when he parted with Bones. He and his Brother are just "living the dream" for a couple more years, **then he'll do majors and "special invinte$".**... >

> > Outside of 3 of the 4 majors and non WGC tour events Phil is exempt on the PGA Tour as a Life Member (20+ wins, 15 years on tour). He won't need special invite$ for standard PGA Tour events.

**> Sorry, do you mean excluding 1 major (US Open) and WGCs/Playoffs, Phil is exempt?**

Correct. Outside of the Tournament Of Champions @ Kapalua. Which he has skipped multiple times even when he was eligible. As have others. With his win at Pebble this year he is eligible for the 2020 TOC @ Kapalua.

> @Outlier said:

> > @MountainGoat said:

> > Phil openly embraced bomb & gouge this year and adjusted his equipment accordingly. He pays the price on courses where wayward shots are punished. He’ll be a star on the Senior tour.

>

> i strongly disagree. The Senior Tour tournaments are super short, super wide fairways- generating weekly putting contests. Phil would be bored to tears watching David Toms 263 yards drives followed by 148 yard 7 irons and 24 puts per round. He may do the majors, just cause.

The shorter, safer venues just mean that Phil won't have to gouge it as often or as far. But, he'll probably do a Stricker and play both tours for a while.

Phil just needs to stop trying to outdrive all the younger players and start playing smarter golf. Hit fairways and greens for starters and stop taking crazy risks. But that's never going to happen. Between his age and his stubborness he's probably done with the majors until the senior tour. Fun to watch but also cringe worthy at times.

It’s interesting to see all these advices towards PM. The guy is one of the all time greatest, he (probably) has issues with his arthritis that would be an issue for anyone, and even more so for Phil who competes at the highest level. He was one of the youngest when he won his first pga tournament, and possible one of the oldest when he won this year. And in between he has managed his career pretty well.

As far as distance goes, Phil has a short game that allows him to be extremely aggressive. Distance helps for creating birdie and eagle opportunities - and if he wants to win he needs to chase those. He has chased distance for at least 20 years and he has been quite successful with it.

Stick a finger in the ground if you think you have something to teach Phil and enjoy the ride; he knows how to manage his golf career better than anyone. And besides: Top golf has a long history of seekers who completely lost it because they started to doubt their own thoughts and feels.

> @fly787 said:

> I would tend to agree he has some swing issues. I'd like to see him visit a guy like George Gankas who I believe could help with a few tweaks to tighten the swing and help avoid the two way miss. Also he tends to leave himself a lot of 4-5 footers each round for par. Just a few minor changes could help him in my opinion. However, he has severe arthritis so we don't really know how that is hurting him ... Phil's fun to watch and I'll always pull for him, in the weeds or not!

I was waiting for this post. Since when did George Gankas become the end all be all?

Taylormade M1 9.5°  |  Speeder 661

Ping G 14.5°  |  Aldila NV 75

Titleist T-MB 21°  |  S400

PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW  |  Elevate Tour X100

Callaway MD Forged  |  Recoil 125

Taylormade  |  Spider Tour Black