2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

for the walkers --- carrying vs. push cart vs. ride

FEUO

Sorry if this thread exists somewhere else.

Just curious about people who like to walk and their preferences/approach to courses with massive elevation changes and/or long hikes from green to the next tee.

I prefer to carry and am always faster than when I play when riding, but some courses have layouts with long walks between holes. Also, some can really work the gams with lots of undulations and elevations.

I never use a push cart. Find its actually harder on my body whereas carrying distributes the weight a bit better. I also grew up caddying so I may be bias. Thoughts?

I walk all the time and use a three wheel push cart. I used to carry if I was playing a short set for nine, but not for a while now. Either way it's about not bringing anything extra along that you won't need. I know some folks who pack as if they're going on a three week holiday simply to play a round of golf! You can get a small hernia just loading the bag onto a power cart! :s

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Same as above, push cart for me. I tweaked my back in December and it has been a nagging injury ever since. I haven't carried all season and while the pain is still ever present it is markedly less than when I carry to the range. I have also noticed I have a better round when I push too. Probably higher energy levels or something.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

#pushcartmafia here

jeez thats large font for a hashtag

Taylormade Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 10*) / Denali Black 60TX

Taylormade Qi10 Tour / 3w (dialed 1 notch higher) / HZRDUS RDX Smoke Green 85 6.5

Taylormade P-DHY / 2i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW (3* weak) / KBS Tour X

Cleveland RTX6 / 54, 58 (full face2) / DG TI Spinner

Odyssey Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

When I play with 4 some, I ride because everyone else is riding.. If our 4 some turns into 3 some.. I walk with a 4-wheel push cart.. 2 wheel pull cart is good, but you're balancing and carrying part of the load. 3 wheel push cart is better, but not as stable on hills. I've discovered 4 wheel is best so far for me..

I used to carry, but too much load for my lower back.. Getting too old...

I dislike buggies on principal. At a mere 52 years old I'd be embarrassed to be seen using one (if you can't walk six kilometres over the course of an afternoon and are less than 70 you aren't healthy) and I don't like the way they restrict access to the pockets of my bag.

I use an [electric trolley](https://www.gokart.co.uk/ "electric trolley") and am fine with any kind of terrain.

Carrying would be right out, at least not with my normal bag of 14 clubs. I'll concede to being unhealthy/old enough not to want to subject my body to the extra strain of carrying.

I used to carry 99% of the time and would only ride if playing with my father, now I push 99% of the time and again only ride if playing with my father, so I can offer some insights on each.

**Carrying:** This does feel more traditional and you can walk right up to your ball without having to maneuver a cart around obstacles. However, in 80%+ humidity midwest summers it will wear you down pretty quick and you will 100000% sweat through every layer of clothing you have on.****

**Riding:** Works well for these hot summers and getting some airflow through the cart and there is ample room to bring every accessory you want. Riding would be preferred for me if the course has unreal distances between holes, Everest like hills, or if there are very few walkers and would be faced with the dilemma of having to play through or let every group play through. That being said, I do worry about the damage to the course, use of resources, and the lack of ability of each player to go to their ball separately to speed up play.

**Pushing:** The best. Set your ego aside and grab a pushcart. I use a 3 wheel and would never go back to carrying. Provided you have a cart bag and/or the cart has a bag like mine, there is plenty of room for storage, less stress on the shoulders, back and knees, and not to mention I stay a little drier. Most have a beverage holder as well as an umbrella holder to keep you out of the sun. Limitations wise, having to climb lots of hills isn't the most fun and if your ball is green side away from the path to the next hole it can be a little annoying having to push all the way around or having to bring 3 clubs with you to the ball. That being said, I am a push cart convert and here to stay!

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5

> @macedan said:

> I used to carry 99% of the time and would only ride if playing with my father, now I push 99% of the time and again only ride if playing with my father, so I can offer some insights on each.

> **Carrying:** This does feel more traditional and you can walk right up to your ball without having to maneuver a cart around obstacles. However, in 80%+ humidity midwest summers it will wear you down pretty quick and you will 100000% sweat through every layer of clothing you have on.****

> **Riding:** Works well for these hot summers and getting some airflow through the cart and there is ample room to bring every accessory you want. Riding would be preferred for me if the course has unreal distances between holes, Everest like hills, or if there are very few walkers and would be faced with the dilemma of having to play through or let every group play through. That being said, I do worry about the damage to the course, use of resources, and the lack of ability of each player to go to their ball separately to speed up play.

> **Pushing:** The best. Set your ego aside and grab a pushcart. I use a 3 wheel and would never go back to carrying. Provided you have a cart bag and/or the cart has a bag like mine, there is plenty of room for storage, less stress on the shoulders, back and knees, and not to mention I stay a little drier. Most have a beverage holder as well as an umbrella holder to keep you out of the sun. Limitations wise, having to climb lots of hills isn't the most fun and if your ball is green side away from the path to the next hole it can be a little annoying having to push all the way around or having to bring 3 clubs with you to the ball. That being said, I am a push cart convert and here to stay!

No ego here. I just don't like having to manage or steer my cart around certain obstacles (fescue, woods, all the shortcuts). Also, one more thing to pack in the car.

As for hot summers, I don't mind em. And when my legs are tired (more likely to happen pushing than carrying) my game may suffer as its going to be harder to stay down on the ball.

I'll give it some more thought for next season and test your sound theories out.

I use a Clic Gear push cart for 99% of my rounds. There are only two courses I play that I don't attempt to walk anymore. They are just a very tough walk. Lots of steep hills that just wear me out to the point it affects my game significantly. So I go along and ride for them.

Callaway (OG) Rogue SZ

TS2 Fairways

JPX 919 Tour (4-PW)

RTX4's 50, 56

BETTI QB6

For the last 4 years use a basic Hill Billy USA electric push cart. Our course is sort of hilly but not big distances between greens and tees about a 6 mile walk total. Push carts hurt my back tried one year before that I carried. I’m 70 and was getting too tired carrying and it was hurting my scores when I switched to electric walking cart.

When I carry I use a Sunday bag of 8 clubs. Does not effect my scores at all. When walking with a full set I use a remote control electric cart. Makes walking and playing a joy, I love that thing.

BTW - I had my left hip replaced 4 years so. I'm 8 weeks post op with my right hip replacement and am walking 9 holes.

I will usually carry unless the course layout really doesn't allow it. I played a course this past weekend that had a very unique hole layout and some of the walks would have been ridiculous. I took a cart for that round but really didn't like it. It throws off the rhythm of a round to me. Some of the 'rides' from green to the next tee box were almost 10 minutes though and it wouldn't have been very fun to walk. Undulation never bothered me walking, it's the long walks between green and next tee box that are the deciding factor for me.

On a really up-and-down course I will occasionally opt to shoulder my bag instead of using the trolley. Not necessarily on a course with some long upslopes and downslopes but on the humpty, bumpty ones with lots of sidehill lies the push cart is tricky to manuever.

But that almost never happens. I use the Speed Cart or my electric trolley on at least 99% of my rounds nowadays. Just too tiring on my upper back and shoulders to be lifting that bag on and off my shoulder all day. Plus the extra 20-odd pounds add to the load on my feet, which aren't in the best shape.

I never ride in a power cart. Just not interested.

NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON GOLFWRX

Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

> @bordercitygolfer said:

> > @macedan said:

> > I used to carry 99% of the time and would only ride if playing with my father, now I push 99% of the time and again only ride if playing with my father, so I can offer some insights on each.

> > **Carrying:** This does feel more traditional and you can walk right up to your ball without having to maneuver a cart around obstacles. However, in 80%+ humidity midwest summers it will wear you down pretty quick and you will 100000% sweat through every layer of clothing you have on.****

> > **Riding:** Works well for these hot summers and getting some airflow through the cart and there is ample room to bring every accessory you want. Riding would be preferred for me if the course has unreal distances between holes, Everest like hills, or if there are very few walkers and would be faced with the dilemma of having to play through or let every group play through. That being said, I do worry about the damage to the course, use of resources, and the lack of ability of each player to go to their ball separately to speed up play.

> > **Pushing:** The best. Set your ego aside and grab a pushcart. I use a 3 wheel and would never go back to carrying. Provided you have a cart bag and/or the cart has a bag like mine, there is plenty of room for storage, less stress on the shoulders, back and knees, and not to mention I stay a little drier. Most have a beverage holder as well as an umbrella holder to keep you out of the sun. Limitations wise, having to climb lots of hills isn't the most fun and if your ball is green side away from the path to the next hole it can be a little annoying having to push all the way around or having to bring 3 clubs with you to the ball. That being said, I am a push cart convert and here to stay!

>

> No ego here. I just don't like having to manage or steer my cart around certain obstacles (fescue, woods, all the shortcuts). Also, one more thing to pack in the car.

> As for hot summers, I don't mind em. And when my legs are tired (more likely to happen pushing than carrying) my game may suffer as its going to be harder to stay down on the ball.

> I'll give it some more thought for next season and test your sound theories out.

I can agree on working around obstacles. Searching through tall grass or in the trees (with an umbrella open) isn't the most fun. Some courses, my father's home course for example, has no flat holes, it seems every hole goes up or down 30 yards, and I would definitely carry or ride here.

Having pushed and walked my fair share of triple digit high humidity days, you have stay hydrated whatever the option, I like pushing better so I can use an umbrella hands-free for shade, the latter may just be my own hyperhidrosis, but if I carry in the summer and I'm wearing anything but black shorts it looks like I fell in a puddle lol.

Car wise, I have a smaller sedan and it folds up nicely in the trunk, it does take up about 1/3 of the trunk space but depending on how much is back there, it hasn't been an issue for me thus far. To each his own, but at least we can agree on walking >>>>> riding.

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5

Always walk unless mandated otherwise, and always carry. 14 clubs and minimal extras in a sun mountain 2.5 these days. Have shed a few pounds worth of carry weight from what I used to carry. Can't really imagine using a push cart, just feels fuddy-duddy-ish. Everyone walked and carried 18 in high school competition, same in college. Would just feel weird not to.

Elevation changes aren't really a deterrent but courses with long distances between tee-green usually include and expect cart use where I am. There are only a couple around me and it would be silly to walk them.

Taylormade Stealth Plus (9) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60

Taylormade Stealth Plus (15) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 70

Taylormade Stealth Plus (19) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80

Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100

Taylormade MG3 54.11 - DG Tour S400

Taylormade MG3 60.08 - DG Tour S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

I'm so set in my ways (always walking, always using a trolley) that I pretty much don't consider playing courses that don't suit the way I like to play. The exception would be maybe once every couple years I might play a resort course on vacation where I can't use the trolley for some reason.

There are several perfectly OK courses with a 45-minute drive of my house that I've never once played in a quarter-century of golf. Mostly super, super spread out residential courses (with 1/2 mile walks between some holes) and/or courses that require use of carts and won't let me walk. I'm fine with never playing there as they just don't allow the sort of golf I enjoy.

NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON GOLFWRX

Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

I carry a light bag with maybe 10 clubs on flat courses. Have a two wheel cart that can be made into a three wheeler for medium terrain. Ride on hilly courses. Do not like four wheel push carts a pain around greens and hills.

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4