MEMBER REVIEWS: L.A.B. Golf Putters! Read What Members Are Saying Now!

knudson81

5 minutes ago, Wolfman44 said:

I had the long line at front with short vertical line. I thought I would go this way , that way I could add extra on if needed( easier to add then try cover). Decided to extent front to back line, much better for alignment.

Sound on mine is awesome , can change depending on balls used but I tend to use a softer ball.

On a different note . Been playing with it regularly and finding it to be very reassuring on shorter putts. On longer putts it is also awesome , yes I have had the distance control issue but that is no fault of putter ( I was shite before lol) if I drop one short , if nobody behind will hit second and virtually sits next to hole if not in. So basically reading green is issue. I do find if I practice more on mat inside, I am worse on first few putts on course as mat is a lot faster then greens I play on. Especially if practice putting green at course is not same speed as actual greens.

Final note and I know a lot have said this on this forum. I really do think this putter will stay in the bag for along long time. Probably only putter I have not had a honey moon period with, started shakey but getting better every time.

1615859580235450975371.jpg

I have the front line with three perpendicular lines that frame the ball. Aiming is very easy. Highly recommend it. 

F957A3C0-9A1A-4EEB-BB3C-55FE755DFA72.png

2 hours ago, Humble said:

So I ordered a DF 2.1 a few weeks back and received it three weeks ago. It was an impulse buy and honestly wasn’t looking forward to the putter and was experiencing some buyers regret. I’ve always been a putter snob and the looks of a putter always appeals greatly to me. The day I opened the box and took a look at this putter I immediately wanted to sell it, it was like nothing I have ever used. I honestly wanted this putter to perform badly so I could sell it and move on to something else. 

This putter continues to amaze me everyday. I’m putting so well with it the looks have even started to grown on me lol. This putter impressed me so much that I sold my center shaft Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 that I have been gaming for over a year. It looks like the nickel DF 2.1 might be in the bag for quite some time.

I was in the EXACT same boat. I wanted to hate it. couldn't do it though!

• Like 1

Anyone happen to know if there are any active coupons available?

Titleist TSR2 - TPT Nitro 16lo
Taylormade SIM Ti 3w - Tensei 1k Black 85tx
Taylormade SIM Ti 5w - Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Cobra Tec Hybrid 2 - Kai'li 90tx

Cobra Tec Hybrid 4 - Aldila Tour Black 105tx
Srixon ZX5/ZX& Mkii 5-PW - Project X 6.5

Callaway Jaws Raw 50s, 54s, 58z - BGT ZNE 130

Putter - LAB something or another

2 hours ago, TylerJ89 said:

I know there have been a few requests for pictures of the Press No. II 1.5* and Press No. II 3* grips side by side, so here they are.  @Cliffy2020 @N2N2

I ordered and put the 1.5* on my DF 2.1 and got in 2 hours of practice on the putting green, and played 27 holes over a few days time, and decided I hated the 1.5* on this putter.  I tried to pull it off and was going to offer it up to someone else on here to try out free of charge, but I could not get it off for the life of me, even though it was only on my putter for maybe 72 hours.  I ended up ordering another Press 3* and going to stick with that.

On paper, I was almost positive that this grip would be a better fit for me, but it just didn't work out.  It was significantly smaller than I thought it would be, and the much lighter weight of the 1.5* grip made the head feel way heavier than I thought it would.  It honestly made the head extremely hard to control,  and also made the head set up a little closed, which makes sense.

Either way, I can see why the 3* is recommended for the DF 2.1. 

It would definitely be beneficial to have side-by-side pics of these grips on the website, so people don't make the same costly mistake.

Also, shout out to @labgolf on the extremely fast shipping.  Both grips I ordered over the last few weeks have shown up in 3-4 days from the time I clicked "submit order".  Great job!

LAB Top View1.jpg

LAB Front View1.jpg

4 runner or Tundra TRD Pro?

edit: just saw the wheels.  4 runner 

Edited by Minarets

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

1 hour ago, TylerJ89 said:

2019 Tacoma TRD Pro

Ahh, I got a 21 Tundra TRD Pro. Enjoy! 

1 hour ago, JA17 said:

Golfwrx users will buy anything as long as it says pro! 

Tacoma TRD Tour would sell like hot cakes around these parts 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Waiting is killing me...

2 weeks since ordering which means at least another two weeks, but more likely a little longer. My putting overall got a little better but is super streaky and messed up a potential career-low round on sunday. Dont think I have ever struck the ball that nicely, hit 12/14 fairways, 12 greens in regulations and the ones I missed were really close. But here it goes: 7 (!) three putts. S.E.V.E.N. Shot 84, two shy of my PB on that course.

I know you need more putts when hitting a lot of greens as proximity is worse compared to missing and chipping on. But 7 three putts. Played with a guy I played with in the past and believe me: Comments about DF looking funky won't hurt after this round lol. It sucks. And hurts. When I hit the par 5 16th in 2 and 3 putted for a par I almost started to cry.

Putter cant come here quickly enough

Edited by Bunkersarebigcups
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

So finally got the Broomstick out on my club’s practice green yesterday. Took a few extra putts to get distance control down, but when I did the vast majority of putts outside 20 feet were basically tap in second putts. This is going to be an awesome experiment that I think is going to end on a very positive note. 

Food for thought... In an effort to let the putter do the work, I noticed things really started clicking when I hovered the putter ever so slightly at address. With the putter soled flat, I was getting the feeling of snatching it away and it felt like it was throwing the balance off. Once I started to hover the putter at address, and made certain that I was holding it steady with light grip pressure, I really felt like distance control became automatic. It felt like I was able to really let the putter work naturally because I became so in tune with the weight before the stroke. Interesting for sure, not sure if it is for everyone but it definitely worked for me. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Titleist TSR2 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX Mk II 20 Degree Graphite Design AD-DI Hybrid 95X

Miura MC 502 4-P Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Miura Milled Tour Wedge 52, 56, 60 Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Ping PLD DS 72

Titleist Pro V1

I got my stock putter in yesterday.  I ordered February 26 and got it March 18, for those wondering.

Mini-review:

Unboxing: Wow, the box was lighter than I expected! First thing I did was open it to make sure they did not only send me a head cover or something! It was very well packed, with plenty of airbubble packing to make sure it made it safe.  It was the not weird box shape I have seen in some other reviews, but normal skinny rectangular box.

First Looks: It is not as big as I was worried about. I have pretty much always played some sort of mallet shape, from a Odyssee 2-Ball to a Odysee #7.  Is it bigger?  Yeah, but not that much to my eye. The black on black looks sharp. As I bought this stock, I did not have an alignment choice, but I think this will suit me fine. The grip is (the #3) fits my hand well  and I can separate my thumbs on either side of the white line running down the grip. This helps me to use them less to stear the putter.

My Putting Game: Horrendous. I am currently a 3 handicap, hoping to get to scratch before I die. I am pretty long off the tee and have a good iron game. I learned to play on sand greens, where you might have, at max, a 15 foot putt through sand.  I learned to hit it close but never learned to putt.  When I started playing grass courses, I tinkered too much.  I would putt with my right hand straight down the shaft and my left hand holding my putter to my forearm.  I was super accurate line wise but never great with distance. When I picked up the game again about 5 years ago, I made sure to change to traditional stance and grip.  I have gotten better, but it is definitely the weak part of my game. 4 footers give me nightmares.  

First Putts: I have a 24 foot Birdieball green in my basement. There is a small slope due to uneven flooring. Man, this thing rolls straight! From the first putt, I could tell it was different.  My StrokeLab 7 was fitted on a SAM Lab and it has given me much better roll than I have ever gotten, but this DF2 is on a different plane.  In preparation, I watched pretty much every video I could, read all 48 pages here and did my other research (I am a physicist, so sciency terms mean a lot to me!) I put the center of the shaft in the head of the putter in the middle of my stance, tried not to forward press, and let her go.  Straight and true.  Due to how I started putting (with that modified arm lock), I have always been a smooth tempo, shoulder rocking putter. The problem has been if the ball is not exactly in the right place on the arc of my stroke, I would push or pull it.  This seems to lessen that for me.  If I try to guide the putter head, I will still miss the putt, but I feel that is my fault (?) versus before where I may have been a centimeter off in ball position and still made a good stroke that the ball just angled off of. If I hold it lightly, rock my shoulders, it goes where it is aimed. While I feel I am better on distance, until I get out on a real course with grass and slope, I cannot say definitively one way or the other.  But most impressive is how quickly it grabs its line and holds it. It feels like it is almost immediately rolling true.

Changes: When I look down, I like the shape, it does feel light but not cheap. The shaft, though, being black on the black of the head, almost gives me an optical illusion that it is bent at the tip because I cannot see it when I stand over the putt. I may putt a little piece of color on it to break that illusion. While some may like it the way it is, I think a little ferrule or something at the bottom would look good. Lastly, well, the cost, as I would really like a blue one! 

Final Thoughts: Will this save me a dozen strokes a round?  No and I never expected it to.  Just in two days of messing around in my basement, though, I feel more comfortable and confident over the putt.  It has given me the feel that when I miss, it is on me.  The putter is doing its job.  No more, no less.  When the 3 feet of snow we got over the weekend finally melts, I will have a better picture of what to expect on real greens. I am very excited for the upcoming season! 

20210318_163534.jpg

20210318_192812.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Coug said:

Has regripping and cutting down shafts been discussed?

A) Changing from the rubber OG grip to the 2.1 grip.

B) Cutting down the shaft an inch and reuse the same grip?

Is the balancing going to be affected in either scenario?

So all of the above WILL effect the balance however, relative to other putters, it will still be more balanced and torque free than anything else out there. Most can't feel any difference. The bigger impact will be on swing weight although going from the OG to the Press II should mitigate that.

1 hour ago, Liberator_44 said:

I got my stock putter in yesterday.  I ordered February 26 and got it March 18, for those wondering.

Mini-review:

Unboxing: Wow, the box was lighter than I expected! First thing I did was open it to make sure they did not only send me a head cover or something! It was very well packed, with plenty of airbubble packing to make sure it made it safe.  It was the not weird box shape I have seen in some other reviews, but normal skinny rectangular box.

First Looks: It is not as big as I was worried about. I have pretty much always played some sort of mallet shape, from a Odyssee 2-Ball to a Odysee #7.  Is it bigger?  Yeah, but not that much to my eye. The black on black looks sharp. As I bought this stock, I did not have an alignment choice, but I think this will suit me fine. The grip is (the #3) fits my hand well  and I can separate my thumbs on either side of the white line running down the grip. This helps me to use them less to stear the putter.

My Putting Game: Horrendous. I am currently a 3 handicap, hoping to get to scratch before I die. I am pretty long off the tee and have a good iron game. I learned to play on sand greens, where you might have, at max, a 15 foot putt through sand.  I learned to hit it close but never learned to putt.  When I started playing grass courses, I tinkered too much.  I would putt with my right hand straight down the shaft and my left hand holding my putter to my forearm.  I was super accurate line wise but never great with distance. When I picked up the game again about 5 years ago, I made sure to change to traditional stance and grip.  I have gotten better, but it is definitely the weak part of my game. 4 footers give me nightmares.  

First Putts: I have a 24 foot Birdieball green in my basement. There is a small slope due to uneven flooring. Man, this thing rolls straight! From the first putt, I could tell it was different.  My StrokeLab 7 was fitted on a SAM Lab and it has given me much better roll than I have ever gotten, but this DF2 is on a different plane.  In preparation, I watched pretty much every video I could, read all 48 pages here and did my other research (I am a physicist, so sciency terms mean a lot to me!) I put the center of the shaft in the head of the putter in the middle of my stance, tried not to forward press, and let her go.  Straight and true.  Due to how I started putting (with that modified arm lock), I have always been a smooth tempo, shoulder rocking putter. The problem has been if the ball is not exactly in the right place on the arc of my stroke, I would push or pull it.  This seems to lessen that for me.  If I try to guide the putter head, I will still miss the putt, but I feel that is my fault (?) versus before where I may have been a centimeter off in ball position and still made a good stroke that the ball just angled off of. If I hold it lightly, rock my shoulders, it goes where it is aimed. While I feel I am better on distance, until I get out on a real course with grass and slope, I cannot say definitively one way or the other.  But most impressive is how quickly it grabs its line and holds it. It feels like it is almost immediately rolling true.

Changes: When I look down, I like the shape, it does feel light but not cheap. The shaft, though, being black on the black of the head, almost gives me an optical illusion that it is bent at the tip because I cannot see it when I stand over the putt. I may putt a little piece of color on it to break that illusion. While some may like it the way it is, I think a little ferrule or something at the bottom would look good. Lastly, well, the cost, as I would really like a blue one! 

Final Thoughts: Will this save me a dozen strokes a round?  No and I never expected it to.  Just in two days of messing around in my basement, though, I feel more comfortable and confident over the putt.  It has given me the feel that when I miss, it is on me.  The putter is doing its job.  No more, no less.  When the 3 feet of snow we got over the weekend finally melts, I will have a better picture of what to expect on real greens. I am very excited for the upcoming season! 

20210318_163534.jpg

20210318_192812.jpg

Nice! Thanks for the very thoughtful review! I wish we still had the pyramid boxes. The UPS guys basically begged us to ditch them!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Played again with it. 29 putts.  Love. This.  Freaking. Thing.  

I did have a brain fart and blow a 4’ way right past the hole on one today but that hasn’t happened in 4 rounds over than that 1 hole.  

speed and lag putting has been so much better with this.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, labgolf said:

So all of the above WILL effect the balance however, relative to other putters, it will still be more balanced and torque free than anything else out there. Most can't feel any difference. The bigger impact will be on swing weight although going from the OG to the Press II should mitigate that.

That’s good to know. This is all pretty heady stuff (for me). Wasn’t sure if swing weight and torque balance were  interdependent/linked. 

thank you for the reply. Best vendor-customer relations on WRX imo. 

• Like 4

I went ahead and changed from Press II to OG.  I changed wanting a smaller grip.  After 2 rounds I'm a little torn, but I think the edge goes to OG.  It is really easy to have a light grip with the OG.  Yes; it is different, but doesn't bother me.  That said, I'm still not used to not having a flat front.  I had at least 3-4 really great putts today.  It might have changed the feel slightly going to OG, but very small in my opinion.  Maybe it because I hadn't invested a lot of time with this putter and Press II.  I still think this putter can be great for me.  Just need more repetition. 

• Like 3

My Lab  is firmly in the bag for the year..

• Like 3

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

6 hours ago, Liberator_44 said:

Lastly, well, the cost, as I would really like a blue one! 

The resale on these has been awesome, so keep saving your pennies for the blue one, and the swap won't be too bad once you go to pull the trigger (next winter maybe?).  I had to have the nickel, once I saw it, so sold my black DF 2.1 at only about a $50 reduction from what I paid for it (after about a year). Of course it always had the headcover on it when it wasn't being used to actually make putts, so it still looked like new.

Welcome to Team L.A.B. !

In my Datrek - DG lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my Bag Boy - Quad XL - I'm decidedly brand agnostic:

PING - G400 Max 10.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 5 R

Titleist - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

Cobra - Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

PXG - 0211 (2019 version) - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

Cleveland - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex 

L.A.B. Golf - Directed Force 2.1 - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

Snell - MTB  Black

1 hour ago, PingPoncho said:

Does your Lab Directed 2.1 putter sound like this outdoors. I hit 4 putts and recorded them on my iPhone.

New Recording-1.mp3 487.8 kB · 8 downloads

Close. I mean that sounds a little bit more tingy than mine but it’s close.  It’s weird to me but usually sound and feel are closely related but I feel like mine does sound sorta tingy(which usually feels harsh) but feels soft.  Kinda odd to me.  

On 3/17/2021 at 4:58 PM, TylerJ89 said:

I know there have been a few requests for pictures of the Press No. II 1.5* and Press No. II 3* grips side by side, so here they are.  @Cliffy2020 @N2N2

I ordered and put the 1.5* on my DF 2.1 and got in 2 hours of practice on the putting green, and played 27 holes over a few days time, and decided I hated the 1.5* on this putter.  I tried to pull it off and was going to offer it up to someone else on here to try out free of charge, but I could not get it off for the life of me, even though it was only on my putter for maybe 72 hours.  I ended up ordering another Press 3* and going to stick with that.

On paper, I was almost positive that this grip would be a better fit for me, but it just didn't work out.  It was significantly smaller than I thought it would be, and the much lighter weight of the 1.5* grip made the head feel way heavier than I thought it would.  It honestly made the head extremely hard to control,  and also made the head set up a little closed, which makes sense.

Either way, I can see why the 3* is recommended for the DF 2.1. 

It would definitely be beneficial to have side-by-side pics of these grips on the website, so people don't make the same costly mistake.

Also, shout out to @labgolf on the extremely fast shipping.  Both grips I ordered over the last few weeks have shown up in 3-4 days from the time I clicked "submit order".  Great job!

LAB Top View1.jpg

LAB Front View1.jpg

Thanks for the PICS! FINALLY my curiosity is satisfied.  Too bad on the review though. I would have never guessed the switch would be so dramatic (in the wrong direction).  The swingweight issue would be an easy fix but wouldn’t have guessed the 1.5* grip would noticeably close the face.  So far my spring training outside has gone well with the big grip. 

Driver TSR3 9* & 11* Ventus TR Blue 6x (10K - Testing)

Fairway TSr3 4W Ventus TR Red 7x

Fairway  TS 7W Ventus TR Blue 8x

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide Forged Pros 50*,54*,58* DG 120 s300 +1/2”

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

2 hours ago, PingPoncho said:

Does your Lab Directed 2.1 putter sound like this outdoors. I hit 4 putts and recorded them on my iPhone.

New Recording-1.mp3 487.8 kB · 12 downloads

You can get noticeably different sounds with different model golf balls for sure.  And I do recall my ears perking up the first time I putted outdoors vs indoors.  I’m guessing you’re using the same ball as always but it sounds different outside?  

Driver TSR3 9* & 11* Ventus TR Blue 6x (10K - Testing)

Fairway TSr3 4W Ventus TR Red 7x

Fairway  TS 7W Ventus TR Blue 8x

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide Forged Pros 50*,54*,58* DG 120 s300 +1/2”

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus