2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Pacing off yardage is not accurate.

aliikane

> @aliikane said:

> > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > @dlygrisse said:

> > > > @aliikane said:

> > > > So many golf instructors instruct to pace off yardage where one pace equals one yard and even the USGA says to pace off yardage without talking about doing conversions for step distance to yards.

> > > >

> > > > Even watching the pros on TV calculate yardage for shots, I have never seen one pro talk about doing conversions of step to yardage. It looks like they are still just using one pace equals one yard.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Are you serious or just trolling? You don’t think an professional caddie knows how to pace off yardage? It’s their profession, they practice it. They have yardages to all kinds of things. It’s not hard to learn. Just go to a football field and practice taking 10 steps between the lines. Silly thread.

> >

> > HaHa - I've never had a golf instructor teach "pace off yardage", but you never know, I guess. OP doesn't understand pros don't talk about it because, well there's only one rule about yardage club . . . .

> >

> > My new jar of Gray Poupon doesn't say "twist off" - I don't know what to do.

>

>

>

> Look on youtube. There are many videos of pro golf instructors just instructing on pacing off yardage and never mention conversions. They just assume one step as one yard. Even a guy 6'5" would be likely be short on his yardage unless taking a bigger step than normal.

>

> Trolling? I think y'all are trolling. Haha. It is a legitimate issue. Perhaps a few yards off doesn't matter with your folks golf games. In that case, fair enough.

>

>

> Since y'all have been doing it for years and such common knowledge, please show me a legitimate pro golfer or pro golf instructor that has an article or video on conversion of steps to yardage. I am waiting.... :)

Just because you don't know how to pace off yardage doesn't mean tour caddies don't. Trust me they do. It's simple to learn. Just measure off 10 yards and practice pacing it off. The fact is for 99.9% of the golfers in the world this is basically irrelevant. Most people have GPS or lasers, and quite frankly most of us aren't good enough where 1 or 2 yards makes that much of a difference.

For those of us who learned to play before GPS tech there was usually a disk in the fairway at 100, 150 and 200. (one course I played had a bush planted next to the fairway instead) You just learned to pace it off from there, it was simple when you walked and carried your own bag, you just started counting when you passed the closest disk. I used to count in my mind between markers to get the pacing right. Your learn pretty quickly how to walk in 3' increments. Whether that's your normal length step or not.

I for one now play mostly modern sit in a cart, shoot the flag and look at a GPS golf, rarely walk and pace off yardage. There is good and bad with with both, and quite frankly most of the courses I play these days require I play the modern way.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

> @ThinkingPlus said:

> Since distance measuring devices are legal for use in both casual play and competitions with the exception of a few USGA/R&A events and some professional tours, what is the point of this thread?

Never let the facts get in the way of never ending debate.

Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

> @dlygrisse said:

> > @ThinkingPlus said:

> > Since distance measuring devices are legal for use in both casual play and competitions with the exception of a few USGA/R&A events and some professional tours, what is the point of this thread?

>

> Never let the facts get in the way of never ending debate.

This is part of it, many folks like to argue, but at least a few of us still walk. If I'm playing a well-marked course, I'll still start counting paces when I pass a marker, and don't necessarily feel a reflex need to use my laser if I've done that. I've been doing this for years, and I learned long ago to make my paces near enough to 36" that I don't worry about conversions. Really, if you're pacing 25 or 30 yards, how far are you likely to be off? Two yards, three? For well over 90% of all golfers, that level of precision is more than adequate.

> @dlygrisse said:

> > @aliikane said:

> > > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > > @dlygrisse said:

> > > > > @aliikane said:

> > > > > So many golf instructors instruct to pace off yardage where one pace equals one yard and even the USGA says to pace off yardage without talking about doing conversions for step distance to yards.

> > > > >

> > > > > Even watching the pros on TV calculate yardage for shots, I have never seen one pro talk about doing conversions of step to yardage. It looks like they are still just using one pace equals one yard.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Are you serious or just trolling? You don’t think an professional caddie knows how to pace off yardage? It’s their profession, they practice it. They have yardages to all kinds of things. It’s not hard to learn. Just go to a football field and practice taking 10 steps between the lines. Silly thread.

> > >

> > > HaHa - I've never had a golf instructor teach "pace off yardage", but you never know, I guess. OP doesn't understand pros don't talk about it because, well there's only one rule about yardage club . . . .

> > >

> > > My new jar of Gray Poupon doesn't say "twist off" - I don't know what to do.

> >

> >

> >

> > Look on youtube. There are many videos of pro golf instructors just instructing on pacing off yardage and never mention conversions. They just assume one step as one yard. Even a guy 6'5" would be likely be short on his yardage unless taking a bigger step than normal.

> >

> > Trolling? I think y'all are trolling. Haha. It is a legitimate issue. Perhaps a few yards off doesn't matter with your folks golf games. In that case, fair enough.

> >

> >

> > Since y'all have been doing it for years and such common knowledge, please show me a legitimate pro golfer or pro golf instructor that has an article or video on conversion of steps to yardage. I am waiting.... :)

>

> Just because you don't know how to pace off yardage doesn't mean tour caddies don't. Trust me they do. It's simple to learn. Just measure off 10 yards and practice pacing it off. The fact is for 99.9% of the golfers in the world this is basically irrelevant. Most people have GPS or lasers, and quite frankly most of us aren't good enough where 1 or 2 yards makes that much of a difference.

>

Never said tour caddies or tour pros do not know how to pace off yardage. I said that no tour caddie, tour pro, or pro golf instructor has ever discussed or made an article or video about converting steps to yardage.

Not everyone has a laser rangefinder. I still see a lot of people still not using rangefinders or GPS. Personally, I haven't used one for over a year because mine got stolen along with my golf clubs out of my car and I haven't replaced it.

Still waiting for someone to post an article or video of a legitimate pro caddie, pro golfer, or pro golf instructor that has talked about converting steps to yards.

It is funny to me how so many people are complaining about the point of this thread. Then why post on it? Just ignore it if you don't like it.

> @aliikane said:

> It is funny to me how so many people are arguing the point of this thread. Then why post on it? Just ignore it if you don't like it.

>

> Still waiting for someone to post an article or video of a legitimate pro caddie, pro golfer, or pro golf instructor that has talked about converting steps to yards.

People respond critically on this thread because you've stated in the title that a traditional method of measuring distances is inaccurate. Many of us disagree, and have explained why we disagree. Some of us have practiced so that we take reasonably accurate 36-inch paces. Others have learned how long their natural pace is, and manage somehow to convert paces to yards. Either way can work, plenty accurate enough for their uses. Pacing CAN be accurate. If you only want to hear from those who agree with you, perhaps online forums aren't the best choice for you.

I'm sure the reason we haven't seen actual tour pros or professional caddies post on this matter is that it seems so simple that anyone of even moderate intelligence should be able to figure it out on their own.

• Like 1

> @"b.helts" said:

> Well. There probably isn’t a video on how to throw grass in the air to determine wind direction.

>

> Sooooo..... yeah.

That's because the choice of grass is so much more important. Tour pros and caddies know to only choose "tour spec grass" to toss because of it's greater inherent accuracy in determining wind direction and magnitude. Us poor ams either aren't experienced enough to choose "tour spec grass" to toss or we don't have access to it. Once you have the right grass, tossing becomes so easy as to not need video instruction. ;-)

> @aliikane said:

>

>

> All of the professional tours and all of golf should allow laser rangefinders.

>

>

They are allowed in practice rounds. Caddies do so much work between Monday and Thursday to get all kinds of yardages and note in the books as well as notes from previous times at the course there’s no need to be allowed in tournament rounds. And with all that their ability to walk off distances from certain points is pretty good

I started playing golf before rangefinders and GPS units existed. Back then, we used common sense.

Before I reached full height, I knew how many normal steps I took to walk five yards. The math wasn't that hard to figure out X number of steps equaled Y number of yards.

Once I reached around 6', it was easier to lengthen my stride a bit so each step equalled one yard. It didn't take much practice to hit a yard with each step.

> @aliikane said:

> > @"b.helts" said:

> > Well. There probably isn’t a video on how to throw grass in the air to determine wind direction.

> >

> > Sooooo..... yeah.

>

> More complaining about this thread. Lol.

No man. Not complaining about the thread at all. Just pointing out that your repeated argument about there not being videos teaching this, is not particularly convincing.

Back before GPS and rangefinders, I paced from 150 markers. I deliberately too a longer than normal pace. The times I checked it (say from 150 to 125, or something) it was "close enough" for me, at least. One could just as easily calibrate themselves to 12 paces to 10 yards, and be in the neighborhood. On greens, I take shorter paces, and figure about 2.5 feet per pace (and sort of round down), when I want to know. The long paces kind of stomp, which seems bad form on a green. Tour caddies have so much info, and so much practice, that I expect they are more accurate than GPS, and within a yard or two of a laser pretty consistently.

And, while YouTube certainly has lots of good info on it, I would not call it an authoritative source, in general!

Jeff, an Arizona hacker

We actually learned to do this very thing in two classes in high school. One was physics class where we needed to be able to do it to measure road intersections with stop lights for some deceleration math. Another class was an Agriculture class I had where we learned some surveying methods.

You just need a measuring wheel for a known distance, say 100ft, and you walk casually counting your steps. Not hard at all to do.

Also of value is to know how much ground you cover at a given pace so you know how long it takes to walk a mile over different terrains.

Question for the group. If you have three things marking distances are they all in line with one another or are they on an arc so they are truly all the same distance from the center of the green? In other words you have two 150 yard bushes on opposite sides of the fairway and a 150 stake in the center. Are they in line with one another perpendicular to the fairway or are they all really 150 yards from the center of the green?

> @smashdn said:

> We actually learned to do this very thing in two classes in high school. One was physics class where we needed to be able to do it to measure road intersections with stop lights for some deceleration math. Another class was an Agriculture class I had where we learned some surveying methods.

>

> Question for the group. If you have three things marking distances are they all in line with one another or are they on an arc so they are truly all the same distance from the center of the green? In other words you have two 150 yard bushes on opposite sides of the fairway and a 150 stake in the center. Are they in line with one another perpendicular to the fairway or are they all really 150 yards from the center of the green?

Depends, I've seen it both ways. Keep in mind if you're 150 out and 40 yards offline (which is a bunch) you only need to add 5 yards to shot.

• Like 2

> @Nard_S said:

> > @smashdn said:

> > We actually learned to do this very thing in two classes in high school. One was physics class where we needed to be able to do it to measure road intersections with stop lights for some deceleration math. Another class was an Agriculture class I had where we learned some surveying methods.

> >

> > Question for the group. If you have three things marking distances are they all in line with one another or are they on an arc so they are truly all the same distance from the center of the green? In other words you have two 150 yard bushes on opposite sides of the fairway and a 150 stake in the center. Are they in line with one another perpendicular to the fairway or are they all really 150 yards from the center of the green?

>

> Depends, I've seen it both ways. Keep in mind if you're 150 out and 40 yards offline (which is a bunch) you only need to add 5 yards to shot.

If you do the math, the farther back from the green you go with the same distance offline, the less yardage you add to the shot, IE if your even with the 200 yard marker, you have to be 64 yards offline to be 210 yards from the middle of the green. If there was a 50 yard sprinkler head and your 40 yards offline from it you're 64 yards from the middle. Of course this is assuming that the yardage markers are accurate as they arent all at all courses, or even for every hole at some courses

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

> @aliikane said:

> Still waiting for someone to post an article or video of a legitimate pro caddie, pro golfer, or pro golf instructor that has talked about converting steps to yards.

>

> It is funny to me how so many people are complaining about the point of this thread. Then why post on it? Just ignore it if you don't like it.

As for the first part, the answer is so obvious you shouldn't need to wait for anyone trying to find such an article, lol. I'll bet we all agree they don't exist and for many good reasons.

As for the second part - you first - problem solved. Pretty clear you keep posting to stir whatever pot is amusing you.

> @aliikane said:

> > @"b.helts" said:

> > Well. There probably isn’t a video on how to throw grass in the air to determine wind direction.

> >

> > Sooooo..... yeah.

>

> More complaining about this thread. Lol. I guess the my thread is getting the Trump treatment from the media. Haha.

The "issue" is we have given you advice but yet you haven't accepted it. Don't overthink it, just practice pacing off some yardage, you will learn how big of steps to take. Easy peasy.

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

> @larrybud said:

> > @aliikane said:

> > Sorry, but i highly doubt any of you do conversions of your pace length to yardage on the golf course. ?

> >

> > I've been playing golf for 43 years since I was 5, played competitive junior golf. I have not once encountered a single person on the golf course who has discussed or who has done conversions of their pace to yards. And that is in regular play to competitive golf tournaments. Junior to higher levels, a few pros I've played with, and my nephew who is playing Division 1A. Everyone just uses one pace as a one yard.

>

> When I used to pace yardages off, I learned how to take 1 yards steps, not just regular walking. Essentially the largest stride I could take.

>

My guess would be that this is the way most of us do it. I don’t know why anyone would use their normal stride to pace off yardage.

> @bdcava said:

> > @larrybud said:

> > > @aliikane said:

> > > Sorry, but i highly doubt any of you do conversions of your pace length to yardage on the golf course. ?

> > >

> > > I've been playing golf for 43 years since I was 5, played competitive junior golf. I have not once encountered a single person on the golf course who has discussed or who has done conversions of their pace to yards. And that is in regular play to competitive golf tournaments. Junior to higher levels, a few pros I've played with, and my nephew who is playing Division 1A. Everyone just uses one pace as a one yard.

> >

> > When I used to pace yardages off, I learned how to take 1 yards steps, not just regular walking. Essentially the largest stride I could take.

> >

> My guess would be that this is the way most of us do it. I don’t know why anyone would use their normal stride to pace off yardage.

>

I'm surprised people don't practice it more rigorously, especially when pacing off putts to determine putt length, being off by 6" could make or break a putt.. I bring my tape measure out to the course and practice at least 60minutes a day to make sure my stride is perfectly calibrated. I do the same with reading wind/throwing grass, using a weather station and seeing how far a single blade of grass will travel if released from exactly shoulder height. I then see where it falls and pace it off such that I can determine the exact velocity

:D

• Like 1

OP complains about math and the need for a range finder to be more accurate but they don't take into account angle (if you are using a "legal" one) so you are right back to math again when it comes to dealing with uphill and downhill approaches and wind. I hate to know how hard it is for a person like that to pick a club with the ball a little above or below their feet.