please lock

tigerfan23

Well then if you want the best feeling and most beautiful then don't waste anymore time. Go get the Gen 3's, you won't be disappointed!!!!!!!!!!!

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG One and Done w/Super Stroke 5.0
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

That's the thing, the feel is subjective. I have my preferences, as does everyone else. But an asinine comparison like that needs to called out.

For the record, I hate these PXG vs. the world debates. They're not even entertaining anymore.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
Mizuno Pro 225 2i - C-TaperL
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

... I posted this before but it soooo applies here. I bought some new Apex 99's when they were first introduced because I loved the shape and was playing MB's at the time. After a couple weeks, I was just so disappointed in the feel. Much too crisp feeling for me and almost didn't feel like forged carbon steel. So I traded them in on some MP33's and was instantly infatuated with their soft feel. It was like the ball melted into the club face.

... I was at the range hitting them and a young Asian kid was striping an Apex 99 4 iron right next to me. I asked him how he liked the 99's and he told me he absolutely loved them. Then he kinda laughed and said he had just traded in his new MP33's because "they felt like mush and the ball seemed to disappear into the club face." He very much preferred the crisper feel of the 99's that gave him more feedback as well as th feeling of being more workable. He added "the 33's are great irons though" and if I liked the feel I would be very happy. I told him about trading my 99's that felt almost harsh for my tastes. We both thought it was pretty funny that each of us had the complete opposite opinions when it comes to feel.

• Like 2

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

I have played the '17 P790 for a full season and really like them; forgiving and long. The irons are point and shoot irons but I felt like I lost some shot making abilities with them. Definitely was not the clubs fault but i believe it was just me trying to make it work vs. just playing the shot. Either way, I ended up getting a used set of MP20 MCC that gave me similar distance but lacked some forgiveness but allowed me to control shots with more confidence. I have tried PXG Gen 1 and did not feel they were any better than anything else out there.

Now, I was really intrigued for the first time with PXG and the GEN3 irons. I think they look great. I did a PXG fitting two weeks ago and hit balls for 2 hours - different heads (ST, T, P) with the shaft that fits me best. I love what I was seeing and feeling but I told the fitter I wanted to think about it and have another session a few weeks later to see if the results and feelings were the same. It is early in the golf season and sometime my swing (or mind) will play tricks on me. Well, today was my second fitting and I will say the conditions were not perfect. 40* and cold range balls. The results were just as good as the first fitting.

I ended up going with G-7 in T and 6-4 in P. The best thing about these is the forgiveness without losing shotmaking. I hit a few on the toe and was surprised to look up and see the ball still flying high. I lost only 4 yard from my consistent distance and I did not catch it that good but knew and felt I did not hit the sweetspot. Something missing with the P790.

Please keep in mind I am not bashing Mizuno since they are great clubs and I am not bashing TaylorMade and the P790's. FOR ME - I was struggling to hit certain shots with the confidence needed. I believe these clubs are outstanding and provide me the forgiveness without sacrificing shotmaking.

Plus, this entire fitting service with PXG is terrific - they will work with you (2 sessions) and once my clubs come in my fitter will be back to run through the bag and ensure gaps and lies are perfect for me. Takes any questions out of the equation.

Driver: Titleist TSR4 - Folds of Honor Ventura Blue TR
Fairway: Taylormade Stealth 2 16.5 - Tour UB TX

7 Wood: PXG Gen 5 7 wood - AD XS

Hybrid: PXG Gen 6 22* 4 - Tour AD 95x
Irons:   PXG 0317 CB 5-G - Steelfiber Reserve 110cw
Wedges:  TaylorMade MG3 54* / Taylormade Hi Toe 58* - KBS TGI
Putter: 1st - Low Tide Stability BLACK / Odyssey Tank Stability Black CounterBalance / Goodwood M6
Ball: Titleist -Prov1x, 2022 AVX, Tour B XS, TP5x  (Left Dash is number 1 ball but Bridgestone XS is close second)  

I’ve owned the original P790s, the 2019 790’s and GEN 1, and now 3 PXG’s. The original 790’s have stayed in the bag until now. I couldn’t tell much difference in the GEN1 and P790 so I went 790’s for half the price. The GEN2 were awful and like hitting rocks. The GEN3 are amazing. Mine came in this week. The have the same incredible feel of the 790s and GEN1 P’s but are longer, more stable and much better turf interaction with the new grind. My biggest complaint with 790’s was getting flyers from rough and fairways. Sometimes they just had and extra gear and took off! I also hated the grind on the 790 PW so I switched it out for a Vokey. I tried the new 2019 790’s as well but they had a hard feel and thicker top line. I wasn’t impressed. I went P 4-6 and T 7-PW in the GEN 3’s. The T head is much more forgiving that previous models on off center hits. The P is a rocket launcher. The ball feels like it stays on the face forever and just stays in the air! They have done something pretty special with these and I couldn’t find another iron on the market that could stack up to them.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond- 8* Ventus TR Black 6X
TM Stealth 2 Plus - 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Titleist U505- 2 Iron Hzrdous Black 6.5
PXG GEN 5 Tour - 4-PW LA Golf 120 S
Artisan Hand Grind- 50, 55, 60 DG TI S400
Tyson Lamb- Bridgeport Custom

Played my first round with the new sticks today:

Gen 3 P's 4-PW DG Tour Issue S400

Gen 3 XP 3 & 4 iron DG Tour Issue S400

Gen 3 Sugar Daddies 50 / 54 / 58 DG Tour Issue S400

Gen 2 Gunboat 35"

Observations:

1) The XP 3 & 4 were spectacular all day long. Long straight, incredible feel. If you're looking for long irons, the XPs are an excellent choice. I was blown away by their performance.

2) Glad I went 311 P's vs the T's as they blend forgiveness, feel and accuracy. Pretty much the same distance as my i210s and 2nd gen 790's. Sizing of the P's is also comparable to the i210s and 790s. I'm not looking for Rocketballz distance on my irons, more interested in accuracy, high flight into greens and feel. The P's really deliver and shine on off-center hits, looks and feel.

3) The Sugar Daddy wedges are spin monsters. Fantastic wedges. Only complaint is the black screws on the back show wear in the sand. Nothing a black sharpie can't fix. 

Given this was my first dive into the PXG pond, I walked away thoroughly impressed. Top quality stuff. I couldn't get a straight answer from PXG rep on when they would release the Gen 3 woods so I'm holding off for the moment. Oh - the biggest surprise of day by far was the Gunboat putter. It may not be the prettiest thing around but its NOT leaving the bag.

• Like 1

Bob Parsons is not a bad guy. Read his bio, listen to him talk, and really do it with an open mind. Unclutter the brain from the interwebz outrage and the BS about Kaboom Baby and the elephant hunt--that elephant hunt was a management hunt for removing problem elderly adults from the herd, but I digress.

PXG is doing something pretty cool, and being open about it the whole way. How many other companies are letting GolfWRX cut their clubs apart for articles and discuss their intellectual property so openly?

Some of you are either trolls, or live a very stuffy stiff life. They're too expensive for me to afford, or justify buying, at this time but I won't hesitate to say they're the best irons I've tried to date.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

The only issue I have is when people act like these clubs are somehow better than others. Of course they will perform better for certain people, and won’t for others. But there’s no secret sauce, they hired away a bunch of ping employees and make golf clubs just like everyone else. I mentioned it before but the gen 2’s were so bad in fittings my local store isn’t carrying them any more. Of course there will still be a segment of golfers that they perform great for, but hearing things like that just reinforces my personal opinion. Nothing wrong with others posting that they have them and for them they perform great.

Also did I just read KGeorge plans on a 2+ year run with a set of clubs. That’s by far the biggest stretch in this entire thread. ?

• Like 1

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Nice review. The Gen2 Gunboat has been a serious game changer for me. I have accidentally shouted out “Kaboom Bay” after making some bombs with it.

I think I was the one that said PXG made Mizuno feel like Walmart clubs. I was just messing around and know how good Mizuno are and how good PXG are. For me, the performance difference is there and they better feel and make it worth the purchase for me (when they go on Hero’s program). For me, they will make the game more fun.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

So like the entire argument, the clubs aren't worth 425 a stick? You said you're waiting for heroes. If they were truly game changing clubs that give 10 15 more yards why wouldn't the extra money be worth it????? Food for thought on the whole issue. I've paid over 300 an iron and they perform identically to my 400 dollar used set of j15cbs.

if I can save about $800 to $1k I have to. Even at Hero price it will be a stretch for me. Not like most ppl on here that have tons of cash laying around. Just a Veteran that loves the game and a regular dude in the aviation business.

And I like having fun on this site...

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

A little bit of a difference in how Brooksy hits it and how I hit it, or the average golfer hits it. 95% of golfers aren't finding the middle of the face often. If you have the ability to hit a small forged blade, you are above and beyond the level of this discussion. PXG is better than anything I've tried at my ability, currently play off 9. Based on the golfers I see and play with,, PXGs would play better. If Mizuno irons are the best for your game, play them and enjoy.

Agreed. If it works and you don't mind spending the money fine. I just find very little difference between most clubs these days. To me its more important to find a shaft and golf ball that work. I was more just responding to those joking that Mizuno clubs are garbage...yet they win a lot with unpaid pro players.