2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Ping i59

johngalt312

Every time I test the i59’s I love them.  One of the most consistent irons I’ve tested in a long time.  Strike for strike with other heads, it more than held its own.  

They look fantastic, feel great and are really solid performing irons.  If it was not for the price, they would have quickly been in my bag.

• Like 2

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

45 minutes ago, wam78 said:

Every time I test the i59’s I love them.  One of the most consistent irons I’ve tested in a long time.  Strike for strike with other heads, it more than held its own.  

They look fantastic, feel great and are really solid performing irons.  If it was not for the price, they would have quickly been in my bag.

The secondary market for i59s is weak.  You can get like new 4-PW heads for $900.  I was selling like new ones 6-PW.  Took me months to get $700.  

• Like 1

I just got my i59 combo set….. I have to tell you….. they are really nice. A little louder than I am used to, but the feel reminds me a little of my PF2 irons. they feel very solid instead of mushy soft. Not a bad feeling, just different. 

Everyone comments about how tiny these things are….. they were actually big next to my apex TCB. 

i have been thinking about the i230, but am going to need to hold off…. If the soles are much wider than the i59….. don’t know if I will be ok…. 

just chipped around with some half shots today. Can’t wait to get them out. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, T_Golf_23 said:

I just got my i59 combo set….. I have to tell you….. they are really nice. A little louder than I am used to, but the feel reminds me a little of my PF2 irons. they feel very solid instead of mushy soft. Not a bad feeling, just different. 

Everyone comments about how tiny these things are….. they were actually big next to my apex TCB. 

i have been thinking about the i230, but am going to need to hold off…. If the soles are much wider than the i59….. don’t know if I will be ok…. 

just chipped around with some half shots today. Can’t wait to get them out. 

As soon as we get a little better weather I will be hitting the i59 and i230 off grass. Looking at them the i230 is only slightly wider. From all reports they are both nice through turf and the i230 launches higher, which makes sense. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

1 hour ago, dmeeksDC said:

As soon as we get a little better weather I will be hitting the i59 and i230 off grass. Looking at them the i230 is only slightly wider. From all reports they are both nice through turf and the i230 launches higher, which makes sense. 

I have the 525 as the 4 iron on my set and I was surprised at how “compact” That was for the type of iron it is….. soon am sure the i230 is going to be a solid option. Still toying with the idea of blending them. 

I caught a little break in the weather, hit the i59 outdoors and it was excellent. Only 50 degrees out but it was nice to hit off grass. Super consistent on distance and it feels very powerful and solid. Quick through the turf. Definitely a thumbs up from me on feel. Not mushy at all, also not as small as I feared. Size wise it looks kind of like an Apex Pro but the i59 is quieter. Sound and feel is really very good. 

If the i59 is supposed to match the MOI of the 210, that is a plus. It does feel stable through impact. The shape is a slightly smaller version of the i230. I will be trying the i230 later this week. I would likely power spec the i59 if I keep the DG 105 s300 shafts. I don’t think if lofts are matched the i59 is going to have any trouble keeping up in distance. 

A few comparison photos below:

A91A3ED4-2107-4F98-B185-5870ABB228F0.jpeg.f6803a2f51a2d2e8227d15f088b1756b.jpeg
i59 7 iron (left) w/21 Callaway Apex Pro

82111FD7-F87D-4608-B864-BF60B1A67A82.jpeg.c80796b6cef25cf61fa0c3e90b7d5cb9.jpeg
2018 (og) TaylorMade p770 7 iron (left) with i59 7 iron 

Edited by dmeeksDC
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

I caught a little break in the weather, hit the i59 outdoors and it was excellent. Only 50 degrees out but it was nice to hit off grass. Super consistent on distance and it feels very powerful and solid. Quick through the turf. Definitely a thumbs up from me on feel. Not mushy at all, also not as small as I feared. Size wise it looks kind of like an Apex Pro but the i59 is quieter. Sound and feel is really very good. 

If the i59 is supposed to match the MOI of the 210, that is a plus. It does feel stable through impact. The shape is a slightly smaller version of the i230. I will be trying the i230 later this week. I would likely power spec the i59 if I keep the DG 105 s300 shafts. I don’t think if lofts are matched the i59 is going to have any trouble keeping up in distance. 

A few comparison photos below:

/cdn-cgi/mirage/fed088af6721e2a6065bf2f6fef696cb9ece8850ed775d74697eaed6d78a91ba/1280/cdn-cgi/mirage/fed088af6721e2a6065bf2f6fef696cb9ece8850ed775d74697eaed6d78a91ba/1280/https://wrxcdn.golfwrx.com/uploads/monthly_2022_12/A91A3ED4-2107-4F98-B185-5870ABB228F0.jpeg.f6803a2f51a2d2e8227d15f088b1756b.jpeg
i59 7 iron (left) w/21 Callaway Apex Pro

/cdn-cgi/mirage/fed088af6721e2a6065bf2f6fef696cb9ece8850ed775d74697eaed6d78a91ba/1280/cdn-cgi/mirage/fed088af6721e2a6065bf2f6fef696cb9ece8850ed775d74697eaed6d78a91ba/1280/https://wrxcdn.golfwrx.com/uploads/monthly_2022_12/82111FD7-F87D-4608-B864-BF60B1A67A82.jpeg.c80796b6cef25cf61fa0c3e90b7d5cb9.jpeg
2018 (og) TaylorMade p770 7 iron (left) with i59 7 iron 

They are not as tiny as everyone says they are. My APEX TCB are smaller. they are similar in size to my Fourteen TC7, but a thinner top line. I am neutral with a -1 AoA… so I like thin soles. 

i got these outside for the first time today as well. It Was about 42 degrees. 

these i59 are consistent. I have x100 shafts in them and they cut right through any wind. 

Your description is perfect. Solid feel. Very forgiving. Caught a couple to the toe side of center and they went pretty much the same distance as center strikes. they feel a ton better than the T100, but not quite as soft as the TCB. 

catch it thin and you will be punished short…. That is the same with every iron in the category. 

Tested a few high off the face, kept their distance. Even tried turning a few over …. Really, these thing have very consistent spin across the face. You could see it in the shot shape and flight. No matter if from rough, fairway… or slightly wet / muddy conditions. I think that is what adds so much to their consistency …. The consistent spin across the face.

they handle knock down shots really well too. 

these are exactly what I have been looking for. A blade style iron, with Oversize CB stability. 

I think these irons are too misunderstood. They are not player distance irons. They are for the blade / compact CB player who has enough distance, but values consistency. The tech provides even more consistency and stability than a typical blade. 

if you are a blade player, t100, MP 223, TC201, Apex TCB or the like … these are great irons to throw in the mix. If you are coming from JPX, ZX7, P770…. Or other larger headed irons or Players distance irons… these are going to be a bit of a leap..this is where PING screwed up, making the comparison to the 210…. I think too many people come in expecting the iron to compensate for poor strikes or be hotter off the face… It’s not going to do that. This is a very different iron for a different player than the 210/230

Very impressed. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, T_Golf_23 said:

They are not as tiny as everyone says they are. My APEX TCB are smaller. they are similar in size to my Fourteen TC7, but a thinner top line. I am neutral with a -1 AoA… so I like thin soles. 

these are exactly what I have been looking for. A blade style iron, with Oversize CB stability. 

I think these irons are too misunderstood. They are not player distance irons. They are for the blade / compact CB player who has enough distance, but values consistency. The tech provides even more consistency and stability than a typical blade. 

if you are a blade player, t100, MP 223, TC201, Apex TCB or the like … these are great irons to throw in the mix. If you are coming from JPX, ZX7, P770…. Or other larger headed irons or Players distance irons… these are going to be a bit of a leap.

Nice writeup. Excellent points. Yes, I see comparisons to all sorts of strong-lofted irons that are designed for players who need distance or seek to regain lost distance. If you love the wide v-sole on the ZX7 or find comfort in a long blade length, then the i59 may or may not be for you. Depends on your miss. Worth testing and they might surprise. I will say if you are generally a good ball striker and your miss is to sometimes “hang back” a bit, the i59’s thinner soles could help. (There is a TXG fitting video of New Level irons in which Ian discusses how thicker soles don’t always help the steep player. He fits a player who hangs back and he got better consistent contact with a thinner sole.) If ball striking is not a strength, there are better choices.

The distance can be increased if you power spec the i59 — they’re not short, the ball speed with the standard loft 34-degree 7 iron is very competitive. But Pings have plenty of bounce so 2 degrees stronger is not going to hurt a thing. Consistency and precision are strengths. They do not vary widely from shot to shot. And I find compact heads easier to aim. 

The aluminum core is to boost MOI and I am sure that helps them resist twisting, but these are not low CG, high-launching irons. More of a shotmaker’s club with some forgiveness, an update of the iBlade with more tech but still a lot like the iBlade. I would say the i59 has a little more pop and less drop off on slight to moderate mishits. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

Nice writeup. Excellent points. Yes, I see comparisons to all sorts of strong-lofted irons that are designed for players who need distance or seek to regain lost distance. If you love the wide v-sole on the ZX7 or find comfort in a long blade length, then the i59 may or may not be for you. Depends on your miss. Worth testing and they might surprise. I will say if you are generally a good ball striker and your miss is to sometimes “hang back” a bit, the i59’s thinner soles could help. (There is a TXG fitting video of New Level irons in which Ian discusses how thicker soles don’t always help the steep player. He fits a player who hangs back and he got better consistent contact with a thinner sole.) If ball striking is not a strength, there are better choices.

The distance can be increased if you power spec the i59 — they’re not short, the ball speed with the standard loft 34-degree 7 iron is very competitive. But Pings have plenty of bounce so 2 degrees stronger is not going to hurt a thing. Consistency and precision are strengths. They do not vary widely from shot to shot. And I find compact heads easier to aim. 

The aluminum core is to boost MOI and I am sure that helps them resist twisting, but these are not low CG, high-launching irons. More of a shotmaker’s club with some forgiveness, an update of the iBlade with more tech but still a lot like the iBlade. I would say the i59 has a little more pop and less drop off on slight to moderate mishits. 

How would you compare the i59 to s55?

13 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

I tested them tonight head to head with t100 for fun as I hadn’t hit them before. I posted this in the 230 thread as I was wanting to test those out but there was no fitting head available. The i59 is a nice looking iron. In my experience the T100 looked, felt, and performed better both in terms of ball speed and forgiveness, particularly on slightly cleaner strikes. I was very surprised by this. I don’t know why but I expected the i59 to be a fair bit more friendly given Pings usual stability. 

13 hours ago, ilikegolf26 said:

I thought s55 was more forgiving and felt a bit better. In fact, I find all of Pings irons with the gooey stuff to feel better than their forged offerings. 

2 hours ago, ilikegolf26 said:

Great question. I’d need more time with the i59 to get detailed, but my initial reaction is they’re in the category that a player who can play one can play the other. Players who are looking at these kinds of clubs generally can strike the ball well with a lot of irons, it gets down to the finer points, which for me is simple: Which one do I hit closest to the hole? Assuming misses produce reasonably even outcomes, for whatever reason there are irons I will hit closer to the hole than others. Range and simulators are one thing, real shots are another. On course is the test and I’d like to get some holes in with the i59 to truly judge.

I don’t have an s55 here, but I do have an s56, which in head shape is real similar to the s55. A few pics of 6 irons below. 

Heel to toe the s56 and i59 are very close but the i59 is slimmer overall, has a slimmer sole and top line. The s56 has a slightly larger look overall. 

A design difference is the i59 has a higher CG, so perhaps not a great choice for players who add loft at impact, but at the same time it has considerably higher MOI. Very high MOI for a head this size. I want to see what effect, if any, that has in improving accuracy on the course. 

I did not notice anything with the CG in my first range session. Have no idea if the aluminum core somehow compensates for the high CG. They have a penetrating flight but not low. Ball speed is very good. PXG has a chart out in which they tested about 15 irons and the i59 was right at the top among 7 irons at 34 degrees of loft. 

6AD3B440-937C-4B9B-87BC-A1E99B7D88D5.jpeg.b62c4162edf32bc21f079e6b1cb8d939.jpeg

I59 on right with s56 

5752CA2F-6385-4FB5-95CD-2B8A8D92ECC4.jpeg.2c92b736e93685f60c46f1bc14e8d51a.jpeg

I59 on bottom

19ADDF73-1889-4400-8FE7-E179A4412A6A.jpeg.dfa33e29f2d9a5fc65dca16f333491b6.jpeg

i59 on right. Very close in blade length. 

24EC3133-5203-4720-8EF6-6D979548DDB2.jpeg.c469a33b1fabdedef3aab782ade0040f.jpeg

i59 with ball at address. Go Blue!

• Like 1

I tested the i59 vs the i230 for a bit.  I really liked the way the i59 gets through the ground and they are definitely more forgiving than they look, I was really close to going in this direction until a buddy of mine who is a +, tested the i230 out and decided to order them.  He said the 230 are much better on mis hits as the 59 misses drop off quite a bit.  Since my game is trash lately I decided to go i230.  I think the feel is slightly better as well and the look is improved over the 210 with a thinner sole and more compact head shape overall.  Looking forward to getting these in the bag when they come in.

• Like 2

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

I would say @Nixhex524 offers a great overview. What I am doing is a real tryout of the i59 and i230 over the next month. I can either keep or return the i59s. Not only got a great deal on them in mint shape, they are returnable with zero penalty. The i230s I went ahead and bought, barely used, really under the assumption that they’d be a better fit for me than the i59 — and that’s going to end up being correct. Been a while since I looked at Ping irons. I gamed the i200, fitted after I also tested iBlade, and after that I switched to Srixon 7Xx series and PXG and others, almost all forged irons. 

I have had two sessions with the i59 and a long one with the i230. I’ll get them on course as soon as weather permits (45 degrees is my unofficial cutoff; heated Ororo vest is key) and I’ll play sim rounds starting tomorrow. 

They’re both beautiful, high-performance irons but it already is obvious the i230 is more forgiving of thin strikes and is preserving more speed across the face. It also feels softer. I’m not necessarily saying better, it depends on what you like. The i59 feels very good and has that solid Ping feel that I enjoy, while the i230 is like a slightly softer i200/i210 with an improved look (especially long irons) and better sole. It feels better than the majority of the thin-faced, allegedly forged irons I’ve sampled. 

I’m impressed by both irons for different reasons and to this point I’d say the i59 is a shotmakers club for solid ball strikers and the i230 is a little more versatile and offers forgiveness that will fit a broader segment of golfers. For me the misses do not produce similar results with these irons.  Not going out on a ledge to predict the i230 is going to be huge for Ping. In its category, it’s a home run. The 5 iron is the test for me and it is quite easy to launch. Put your 8 iron swing on it and it is up and gone. That’s a key indicator. And yet, it’s an iron also played on pro tours. 

So in the same way the iBlade was more demanding than the i200/i210, the i59 is more demanding than the i230. The difference is I feel the i230 is the most refined of its series. It checks all the boxes. The set I have has power spec lofts and there’s no reason not to do that and get the distance because they still fly plenty high and have a steep descent angle.

As for the i59, I think it is easier to hit than iBlade. It is super consistent. Corey Connors is one of the best ball strikers on the PGA Tour and I can see why he likes it. For me, the i230 getting a little sleeker is a big upgrade. The look between the i59 and i230 is close enough that it’s hard not to take the help the i230 is bringing because it is noticeable. 

Any thoughts on blending the sets? 

using the i230 in the longer irons with the i59 in the shorter…… assuming the lofts were properly blended? 

i thought about i525 4 iron.

i230 for 5 & 6.

i59 for 7-9

glide 4 for the PW and GW.

4 minutes ago, T_Golf_23 said:

using the i230 in the longer irons with the i59 in the shorter…… assuming the lofts were properly blended? 

i230 for 5 & 6.

i59 for 7-9

And I thought I had a mixed bag. Maybe the g425 3 iron for good measure? 😂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

I would say @Nixhex524 offers a great overview. What I am doing is a real tryout of the i59 and i230 over the next month. I can either keep or return the i59s. Not only got a great deal on them in mint shape, they are returnable with zero penalty. The i230s I went ahead and bought, barely used, really under the assumption that they’d be a better fit for me than the i59 — and that’s going to end up being correct. Been a while since I looked at Ping irons. I gamed the i200, fitted after I also tested iBlade, and after that I switched to Srixon 7Xx series and PXG and others, almost all forged irons. 

I have had two sessions with the i59 and a long one with the i230. I’ll get them on course as soon as weather permits (45 degrees is my unofficial cutoff; heated Ororo vest is key) and I’ll play sim rounds starting tomorrow. 

They’re both beautiful, high-performance irons but it already is obvious the i230 is more forgiving of thin strikes and is preserving more speed across the face. It also feels softer. I’m not necessarily saying better, it depends on what you like. The i59 feels very good and has that solid Ping feel that I enjoy, while the i230 is like a slightly softer i200/i210 with an improved look (especially long irons) and better sole. It feels better than the majority of the thin-faced, allegedly forged irons I’ve sampled. 

I’m impressed by both irons for different reasons and to this point I’d say the i59 is a shotmakers club for solid ball strikers and the i230 is a little more versatile and offers forgiveness that will fit a broader segment of golfers. For me the misses do not produce similar results with these irons.  Not going out on a ledge to predict the i230 is going to be huge for Ping. In its category, it’s a home run. The 5 iron is the test for me and it is quite easy to launch. Put your 8 iron swing on it and it is up and gone. That’s a key indicator. And yet, it’s an iron also played on pro tours. 

So in the same way the iBlade was more demanding than the i200/i210, the i59 is more demanding than the i230. The difference is I feel the i230 is the most refined of its series. It checks all the boxes. The set I have has power spec lofts and there’s no reason not to do that and get the distance because they still fly plenty high and have a steep descent angle.

As for the i59, I think it is easier to hit than iBlade. It is super consistent. Corey Connors is one of the best ball strikers on the PGA Tour and I can see why he likes it. For me, the i230 getting a little sleeker is a big upgrade. The look between the i59 and i230 is close enough that it’s hard not to take the help the i230 is bringing because it is noticeable. 

Can you post address pics of the offset on the power spec lofts? 

10 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

Really good overview Dave!  I need to test the i230 again and give them a proper run.  When I tested them my swing was really stiff and not fluid.  So my low point control was off.  Did not swing a club in a few weeks at the time.

When I tested the 59’s my swing was in a really good spot and that’s what made me smitten over them.  Could not get over how consistent the numbers were.  They just fell in the same spot over and over and over again.

Once I can get my swing back in a decent spot, I’m going to have to give the 230’s another run.  Two incredible looking irons.

Anyone using the 525 4i paired with either 59 or 230?  Curious about how it transitions.

• Like 2

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

7 hours ago, T_Golf_23 said:

i230 for 5 & 6.

i59 for 7-9

Definitely can be blended. Not vastly different in size. It would depend on how I am liking the i230 short irons. But all of the models could work. The i59 looks so good I doubt I would drop the PW. And the 525 4 or 5 iron may be even easier to hit than the i230, though the i230 is pretty easy. 

I wanr to get both on a golf course to see if I am seeing better results with one  versus the other. 

3 hours ago, T_Golf_23 said:

Can you post address pics of the offset on the power spec lofts? 

Sure. May not be very visible. The offset difference between power spec and standard is tiny.

The distance boost also is not huge but is noticeable. The i230 launches well and I am getting plenty of height and spin so why not take it?

2 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

Definitely can be blended. Not vastly different in size. It would depend on how I am liking the i230 short irons. But all of the models could work. The i59 looks so good I doubt I would drop the PW. And the 525 4 or 5 iron may be even easier to hit than the i230, though the i230 is pretty easy. 

I wanr to get both on a golf course to see if I am seeing better results with one  versus the other. 

Is there a big feel difference between the i59 and i230?? 

2 hours ago, T_Golf_23 said:

Is there a big feel difference between the i59 and i230?? 

Yes.. the 230 p-6 feel like those glide 4 wedges. 

the i59 are more solid but firmer

the 230 5/4 are less solid and more hollow feeling than both ^^

Edited by ak90
  • Thanks 1

I just tested i230 and i59 versus my T100S.  I like the i59 much better than the i230.  I am losing just a little bit of yardage with the i59 versus T100S,  but it is not a ball speed issue.  I59 generating more backspin and significantly more height.  My dilemma now is do I go power spec with i59?  I am not long, especially by WRX standards.  I carry my 6 iron about 160 yards - maybe 165 when striking well. This is not my first time hitting i59 - just the first time hitting with my preferred shaft.  Every time I have hit them I have loved them.  I definitely would not kick my T100s out of the bag for i230.  Anyone have any insight on power spec i59?

8 minutes ago, Kball10 said:

I just tested i230 and i59 versus my T100S.  I like the i59 much better than the i230.  I am losing just a little bit of yardage with the i59 versus T100S,  but it is not a ball speed issue.  I59 generating more backspin and significantly more height.  My dilemma now is do I go power spec with i59?  I am not long, especially by WRX standards.  I carry my 6 iron about 160 yards - maybe 165 when striking well. This is not my first time hitting i59 - just the first time hitting with my preferred shaft.  Every time I have hit them I have loved them.  I definitely would not kick my T100s out of the bag for i230.  Anyone have any insight on power spec i59?

If you power spec them, you potentially could lose a little height and spin, therefore be very similar to your T100S's

Ping G430 Max 10.5, VA Nemesis 55 four

Ping G430 5-18, VA Vylyn 65 four

Ping G430 4H, 5H, 6H, Alta 70S

Mizuno Pro 245, 6-gw. MMT 85S

Ping S159 54S, & 54H, MMT 105S

Odyssey Nano 7, stroke lab

Pro V 1X or Z-Star XV

2 hours ago, ak90 said:

Yes.. the 230 p-6 feel like those glide 4 wedges. 

the i59 are more solid but firmer

the 230 5/4 are less solid and more hollow feeling than both ^^

I agree that the i59 feels firmer but I don’t agree that the i230 feels anything close to hollow because they’re not hollow. For anyone who played the i210, don’t expect a big feel difference — they feel very similar, maybe even a touch softer. Ping did not overhaul this head and would be foolish if they did. With the popularity of the i210 on tour, Ping is not going to mess with much. I don’t think you’d see tour pros playing full sets of the i210 and now the i230 if they were hollow. I’ve hit a lot of hollow irons, don’t care for them in general. The i230 is a refinement of the i210. A little sleeker, better turf interaction. If you hit the i230 and then the i525 back to back,

that’s how to tell. The i525s feel hollow and are hollow. 

No difference between the 5 and 6 iron in the i230 that I can detect. Is there a construction difference between the 5 and 6 irons? I thought in this head all are the same construction. I don’t have the 4 iron. 

There is a noticeable feel difference between the 59 and 230. If I had to choose one I prefer, I’d probably give the edge to the i230. But it’s not enough to sway me, on that I could go either way. The i59 feels powerful at impact, has a firmer feel with the aluminum core. Going back to older Pings, I’d say the i59 is more classic Ping feel and the 230 continues the feel of the 210 that was a huge hit. But I bet if 10 players hit both, more will like the 230 not based on center impact but because it is gentler on mishits. 

I do think either one can be power spec’d to dial in spin/height/distance. If I keep the i59s I will have Ping power spec them. 

I like both irons, I am not knocking either one. Two of Ping’s best irons ever IMO. I will go with the one I score better with, but won’t hesitate to play a full set of either if that’s how it turns out. There’s no question the i230 is more forgiving. You miss one, get a decent result anyway. The i59 is more penal on mishits. But I played a sim round today and hit them both well. No lack of ball speed at all with the i59 even at standard lofts. No lack of stopping power with the i230 with power spec lofts. The beat goes on. 

• Like 1

I agree that the i59 feels firmer but I don’t agree that the i230 feels anything close to hollow because they’re not hollow. For anyone who played the i210, don’t expect a big feel difference — they feel very similar, maybe even a touch softer. Ping did not overhaul this head and would be foolish if they did. With the popularity of the i210 on tour, Ping is not going to mess with much. I don’t think you’d see tour pros playing full sets of the i210 and now the i230 if they were hollow. I’ve hit a lot of hollow irons, don’t care for them in general. The i230 is a refinement of the i210. A little sleeker, better turf interaction. If you hit the i230 and then the i525 back to back,

that’s how to tell. The i525s feel hollow and are hollow. 

No difference between the 5 and 6 iron in the i230 that I can detect. Is there a construction difference between the 5 and 6 irons? I thought in this head all are the same construction. I don’t have the 4 iron. 

There is a noticeable feel difference between the 59 and 230. If I had to choose one I prefer, I’d probably give the edge to the i230. But it’s not enough to sway me, on that I could go either way. The i59 feels powerful at impact, has a firmer feel with the aluminum core. Going back to older Pings, I’d say the i59 is more classic Ping feel and the 230 continues the feel of the 210 that was a huge hit. But I bet if 10 players hit both, more will like the 230 not based on center impact but because it is gentler on mishits. 

I do think either one can be power spec’d to dial in spin/height/distance. If I keep the i59s I will have Ping power spec them. 

I like both irons, I am not knocking either one. Two of Ping’s best irons ever IMO. I will go with the one I score better with, but won’t hesitate to play a full set of either if that’s how it turns out. There’s no question the i230 is more forgiving. You miss one, get a decent result anyway. The i59 is more penal on mishits. But I played a sim round today and hit them both well. No lack of ball speed at all with the i59 even at standard lofts. No lack of stopping power with the i230 with power spec lofts. The beat goes on. 

I edited the post to show 5/4 iron- the construction is different from the rest of the set. I agree, “hollow” maybe isn’t the word- they definitely feel better than my t200 driving iron. I love the i59 but the 230’s are in my bag so not knocking them in any way

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ak90 said:

I edited the post to show 5/4 iron- the construction is different from the rest of the set. I agree, “hollow” maybe isn’t the word- they definitely feel better than my t200 driving iron. I love the i59 but the 230’s are in my bag so not knocking them in any way

I have the new T200 irons and quite like the feel so I ordered a T200 utility, but man that thing felt terrible. I attributed it to the RDX Smoke Black shaft, but I'm not entirely sure on that.  

47 minutes ago, ernotte said:

I have the new T200 irons and quite like the feel so I ordered a T200 utility, but man that thing felt terrible. I attributed it to the RDX Smoke Black shaft, but I'm not entirely sure on that.  

It’s not the shaft in particular.. I have the graphite design and man it feels like a shovel

Has anyone owned the TM P750s in the past and can compare them to the i59? I have used the 750s since they were released but they are pretty beat up and I am overdue for a switch. I had used the S55 in the past as well and they were some of my favorite irons. Kind of in between the i59 and Blueprints. Maybe a combo set is the move but curious if anyone can compare?

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5* @ 9.5- Diamana DF 60TX

Titleist TSR3 15* - Tensei AV Raw Blue 85TX

Titleist TS2 21* @ 20.75* - Diamana BF 80TX

Callaway TCB 4-PW - DGX100 Tour Issue

TaylorMade MG3 50/56/60 - DGS400 Tour Issue

Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4

Titleist ProV1x