2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Anyone playing more than one complete set of irons?

jjfcpa

As a true GolfWRXer, I have more than one set of irons. However, I've always played the one that performs the best when hitting indoor in my hitting bay. And that's always the same one that I've been playing for the last year. I'm always afraid that I won't have the consistency if I start switching irons from round to round, but on the other hand, I'm wondering if I'm really giving my other set a chance if I don't use it on the course.

Granted, the differences in my practice sessions have come down to maybe 10% better consistency and very little difference in distance.

Anyone else have more than one set and when do you decide it's time to switch?

I have a set of wishons I bought off the bst... and now a set of Adams cmb that I’m building out this week... and a long term plan to get fit... I mainly hit my 20+ year old irons though... mostly I’m just comfortable with them.

i won’t ever really jump between sets because I can’t imagine that helping my game, but I’ll game something different for a few weeks or months... it’s more going back to old trusty than anything else.

we will see how the build on the cmbs goes, though.

basically, my rambling vote is play what works for you and don’t worry about it... changing irons every week isn’t going to help your game.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I liked my iron set so much, bought a second identical set, but have found it is a little boring, thinking would be more fun to have a different type of iron, so just ordered something different, will absolutely give them a chance on the course. I know what my current set does

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

I have 8 sets and have 4 out of the 8 that see play. Callaway xr pro irons are my main set. Have 3 forged sets I play when conditions call for them. Those are snake eyes 600b,snake eyes 685x, and orlimar ken venturi pg-64 blades. Only reason the Callaway's are in the bag majority of the time is because the extra distance I get with them. But in the summer when the courses dry out the blades go back in the bag. It's never been a issue transitioning back and forth. I just keep a yardage book in my bag that has my yardage gaps for each set for reference.

My 2019 track record (and reasoning) with four irons sets:

Jan-Feb: Ping S56 PX 5.5 (I’ll use cast irons for winter & simulator rounds)

Mar-Apr: Mizuno MP-54 S300 AMT (only 3-5 rounds total, most forgiving set, getting my swing in order)

May-July: Callaway X-Forged/Apex MB combo Modus3 120 (best feeling and fitted set I own, saved for when I’m playing regularly)

+ S56 for summer travel

Aug-Sep: back to MP-54 (need a change of pace at this point, only playing weekly)

Oct-Dec: Ping i200 AWT 2.0 (acquired to replace the S56s in the Winter/Sim/Travel rotation)

*not used: Hogan-SCOR combo set, reshafted in 2020, may or may not see the course

Spring 2024

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx LS 5W 17.5° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx 4Hy 21° HZRDUS Smoke 80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° / Z585 6i-7i / Z785 8i-AW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56° 60°
SeeMore Mini Giant DF / Piretti Teramo / MannKrafted MA99 Proto

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/

... I play 3 sets. My P790's are my main set and use them the most by far. I did find a few courses in Phoenix have very hard and fast greens, so they need more spin to hold them and I use my P760's on those courses. Then I have a set of Z Forged I play just for fun every now and then.

• Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

3 sets in play of the 9 sets I own

play are blueprints, 790’s and 919t’s

919 the current favourites

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

I usually have one set as primary and one set as contenders, usually with design or shaft differences. This year I went back in time. Primary will be J38 CB with Project X 6.0 and backups will be 690 CB with DG Lite S300. Similar in many ways and comfortable in that they are very consistent.

I like having an extra set around to give a different look to shake the inevitable slump cycle.

I Change iron sets way too often & it's to the detriment of my golf game. I always like to try something new that catches my eye or maybe out of boredom. Winters are long in the northeast & the next thing I know I'm "browsing" the bay & a few days later one of those long rectangular boxes show up at my more door. I have been trying to reform the "club hoe" in me though. I've sold 8 sets of irons over the last 3 months & have bought only one. I think I will stick with the clubs irons I gamed most of last year, the Callaway Apex 19's. But should I want to change up though I have the Ping i500's, Cobra Forged Tec 20's, 2017 TM P790's waiting in the wings.

Driver: Callaway Rogue STMaxLS 10.5 Degree

5 Wood: Cobra LTDxLS @ 17.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra King OS 3-4 Hybrid @ 20.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra Aerojet @ 24 Degree

Irons: Taylormade 2021 P790's 5-AW

Wedge: Taylormade MG3 54 Degree

Wedge: Callaway Sureout 2 @ 60 degree

Putter: PXG Closer

I just bring different full bags out to play, one of the perks of picking up older gear is you can get great value, which means you can buy more... I go by what brand I feel like on any given day between Titleist, TM, Callaway, Adams (minus wedges/putter) and Mizuno. Also have a Wishon/SMT bag as well.

• Like 1

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

My Apex CF19's are my primary gamers. I have a set of Z585's that feel really good when I hit them indoor, but I've never taken them to the course. Thinking about getting some Mavrik (standard) and switching off between them and the CF19's, but I'd really like to try some forged heads. I feel like I can hit any irons fairly well now, but it's a matter of consistency and confidence. I just feel really confident with the CF19's in the bag... even the 4i is sold for me. Hard to give up that confidence.

I've gamed the TM Rocketbladez Tour irons the last 5 years. I recently moved about 20 miles from my home course so I "obviously" needed a backup set (for when I'm still working in town, but decide to play on any random day). I leave these at my dad's house.

A few weeks ago I picked up a set of barely hit demo ap2 718's that I will keep at home with me to play the course nearest to me.

I thought about getting the same irons I had, but what's the fun in that...Main thing in looking for a new set was similar lofts for distances/gapping. The ap2's are awesome btw, and will be my main set. Very soft feel, but can definitely feel the mis-hits more.

I have three sets, Playing the Srixon 785's and Callaway Apex MB's in the north, summer months

And play the Callaway X Forged in the south, Winter months. No reason to fly with sticks,

to much to go through for travel.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

I have 3 iron sets that I use for play and a set that is gathering dust. Two oldie but goodies (TA 845s, original RAC LT) and a modern day favorite of many, J15CB. I score around the same with all of them. All different steel shafts, grips, etc. No rhyme or reason to what set I play. Usually just swap out a set and go play.

Two sets that are my "serious golf" irons, one with graphite shafts, one with steel. I switch them in and out as the mood takes me.

Then I've got nearly 20 other sets of irons for non-serious golf (usually using persimmon woods), and these are almost all older irons from the seventies and eighties. I've one or two "in between sets", such as Callayway Protos and Nike OG blades, and I'm not quite sure where they fit in.

It's always good to be on the safe side and have an iron set or two in reserve. Just in case you carelessly mislay a set.

• Like 1

Main set of 770/790s 90% of the time. When I travel and visit friends I bring the Miura CBs which are are a tad less forgiving but I am on vacation so its not about the score as much as enjoyment and they just look dead sexy. This includes a 4i which I don't game normally :) I could certainly game them all the time (and why I went CB not MB for the fun set).

Given how cheap lots of lovely used sets of blades are (Mizunos constantly out there if you shop) I can see how folks have a handful of sets...

5 sets of modern irons and 3 sets of hickories. Yep, I think that qualifies as a "problem". Winter in Chicago is just too damn cold and long. Between re-reading my golf books looking for the magical golf tip and perusing the Bay for that set of clubs to return my game to a single digit status; I often start the season more confused than ever. I am working hard this off-season to commit myself to the irons (Ping i20s) that helped drop my handicap for 14 to 12 at the end of the season. I know bouncing between sets is detrimental but I still have that "hope over experience" dream.

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag