2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Just Got Back From Bandon

With our trip in March cancelled as I was walking out the door, I began to watch the resort for news on when they would re open. Originally, we had 8 guys going so with only 3 left, we made the 13 hour drive up from Southern California on Sunday. Drive is not that bad. Takes about the same amount of time as flying from San Diego/Portland then driving down to resort. Driving meant we could bring our own pushcarts and not be limited to what would fit in a travel bag. Arrived at the resort and at check in was told they were at about 40% capacity. In May! As more and more airports get back to normal, the resort will again be back to max capacity sooner than later. Most of the folks we talked to had driven in with he exception of a few who had access to private planes.

Monday 18th- Played Bandon Dunes in the morning with 60 degree temps and very little wind. Felt like we had the course to ourselves. Shot 75 including a 3 putt par on 16. What a golf course. After a quick lunch we headed over to Sheep Ranch for our 2nd round. All I can say is they have done it again. Course was incredible. The views were stunning. No wind, sunny, shorts and shirtsleeve weather. Was interesting with the no sand thing. Our caddie Eddie said that 2 days earlier it was blowing close to 50. He said the wind will be the courses defense. There was none that day and I shot a 2nd 75 which included a few 3 putts. Greens were slow (to combat the wind). Couldn't help myself so 2 of the 3 of us went over to Old Mac and again, had it to our selves. Old Mac is what I would say is my favorite course at Bandon even though it beat me up a little. Shot 81 with about a half dozen 3 putts. carried bag for 54 holes so my 56 year old body slept well that night after a late dinner in McKee's. The restaurants were open just as we got there and the staff did a great job of following the guidelines set forth by the governor.

Tuesday 19th-Woke up to another partly cloudy, 60 degree day with light winds. Started day off back at Old Mac, again, no one was there! Jim Urbina's son is the Assistant Pro. Nice kid. Played it in 3 hours but again the course got the best of me. Shot 82, then had lunch before heading over to PacDunes for an afternoon round. The greens at PacDunes were kind of rough and bumpy. Fatigue was getting to me as I really felt it every time I had to put a tee in the ground and had second thoughts about whether or not cleaning the ball was really necessary on the greens. I think I went to sleep by about 8PM

Wednesday 20th-Another perfect windless day. Played Trails 1st off in the morning. This was the first time I have played Trails where it was not raining and I gained a whole new appreciation for what a masterpiece it is as a golf course. You are not on the water but every hole is special. I didn't play well (84) but came away with a whole new appreciation for it. Having had such and early start and knowing it was our last day, We had a quick bite and went back over to BD and this time I 2 putted 16 for birdie. Shot 76 and could tell both my partners were physically done so I bid them adieu and went back to Trails for one last bite at the apple. Admittedly exhausted myself, I played quickly and just took in all of the sites and sounds of what may be my new favorite course there. Shot 83 but didn't care as it was the closest thing I have come to church since the Virus changed our world. Serenity was the theme of the entire round. When I finished at about 7PM, I returned the fob and asked the guy in the proshop if anyone was on the Preserve and he replied that it was all mine so why not, I played it in about an hour which as my first time. I now see why everyone always says "Make sure to play the Preserve'. I will always make time for it in future trips.

We left early yesterday morning and made the 14 hour drive back home. Some thoughts in closing. I ended up walking 157 holes. My Garmin watch said I walked 54 miles in 3 days. Got a couple of blood blisters and will lose a toenail or 2. I am sure I will never have another trip like this one. I am actually OK when the weather is up a bit as it reminds you that it is different type of golf than what we play at home. I changed my socks after every round which I cannot stress enough how important that is. Probably would not have played 54 the first day if I had to do it over again. It was just hard not to take advantage of the good weather. Also, I only took 10 clubs and wished I had my lob wedge when I played Trails. If you are planning a trip, force yourself to walk all golf at least the month prior. I never use a cart so it was not bad for me but every year, I meet some poor guy in the restaurant who needed a day off after walking 18 holes at Bandon. Also, don't go unless you have really good rain gear. (even if you have to borrow it) Don't take the trip of a life time and then get soaked in crappy pullover. We only took caddies on Sheep Ranch as it was required for Preview Play. I carried my bag the rest of the rounds. Get a lightweight carry bag or use their pullcarts. Don't over pack. All you need is a couple of shirts, a couple of pairs of shorts, pants, undies & half dozen pair of socks. I brought 3 pairs of golf shoes, my waterproof Nike Bandon's and 2 pairs of Ecco's. That and normal toiletries (don't forget sunscreen-I got it pretty good on the forehead the day I didn't wear a hat.

Last piece of advice I have is do not wait to do this trip. The older you get, the more difficult it will be on you physically. You don't have to play 36 or 54 to enjoy yourself. I just wanted to experience as much of it as we could knowing I only had 3.5 days (which was enough). In retrospect, only having 3 of us go made it so much simpler. We missed the other 5 guys and hope they will join us next March when we return but 3 was nice.

Now I will switch my attention to watching the situation in Ireland unfold as my next trip is County Donegal in August. Hoping they can open things up over there so we can go, otherwise it will have to wait until 2021.

Cheers!

Livin' In The Day Of The Eagle

Driver: TM Tour Issue Stealth 9° Ventus Blue 7S

3w Ping G430 SFT Ping Tour 173-75S

4w SimTi  Diamana F75 Limited S

7w Ping G425 SFT Ping Tour 173-75 S

Irons: 2021 TM 790 5-GW PX 5.5

Wedges: Ping Glide 54° 58°

Putter: TM Mini Spyder
Ball: Titleist AVX Yellow

Index: 2.0

just to echo Serenity & a sentiment i've heard a couple of times during this quarantine: take the trip ... wherever ... my brother-in-law died suddenly a few years ago, and ever since, i've been on a rampage to travel and play golf ... my usual weekend playing partner is set to retire in a couple of years at a relatively young age, and he had a trip for scotland planned this june ... first trip, really, for golf anywhere ... he recently lamented not having gone earlier, for he had the means to do so, easily ... but he also said a couple of weeks ago, he will not wait until this or that special moment to travel and play golf ... or to just see the world ... if there's one thing to learn from this current situation, it's that tomorrow is not promised ...

quit waiting ... get out there & tee it up ...

• Like 1

+1 on that. I actually find it easier to walk 54 at 48 than I did at 38 if I'm being honest though. I had a period in my 30s that I wasn't in great shape so that makes a big difference but now I look forward to those trips where we play 36/day multiple days in a row. Throw in an occasional 54 for fun! So, it doesn't have to be hard. I know several people in their 60s that can easily walk 54 holes in a day (and regularly do).

Great report, glad you had fun.

Spent my 30s raising little kids, I was much more out of shape than I am now. However, my first trip to Bandon was when I was 38 or 39, the prime of being out of shape and I had no difficulty walking 36 a day. In that trip, as well as my subsequent trips, I have noticed that there is just something about walking at Bandon, it just doesn't take the same toll as walking elsewhere.....

Great trip and write up! Bandon is definitely a special place. I’m with you crossing my fingers for Ireland. My group has our bi-annual trip booked for Ireland from Sept. 26th - October 3rd. Scheduled for Lahinch twice, Ballybunion twice, Doonbeg, Tralee, and Adare Manor. Hoping for the best that the 14 day quarantine gets lifted soon.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

3 guys 13 hours from Temecula. under 2 grand a piece for everything. Last year we flew out of San Diego thru Portland and it was 13 hour door to door. We split the Chrome Loft, I slept on blow up mattress

Great write up and spot on. SR wasn't open when I was there, but Trails was my absolute favorite. Links in a parkland environment is rare and it was beautiful. 54 in a day is beast mode for sure. Wondering if you made the drive straight or did you stop for a night and play another course on the way up. Thinking I might drive up next time from the Bay Area (10 hours I think) which isn't that much longer than going to the airport and catching a connecting flight to Eugene.

You were there with no covid-19 worries? Did you take caddies?

I ask because I just canceled out of a trip June 10-12. For me it would be too much stress... the fact they have the restaurants open, while a good thing logistically of course, just adds to my stress because I do not trust people to comply (and this goes for the guys with whom I was going to travel - who are taking caddies without a social distancing care in the world).

The golf up there is awesome. I've played all the courses many times (although Sheep Ranch only in it's old form). I really do want to get back there. But it's not going anywhere and in the end... is golf worth dying for?

I'll get up there in the winter, or whenever the world does truly normalize.

Impressive stamina sir

thanks for the write up, I wish I had been there, the golf and weather and scenery and pace all sounded amazing

i wonder how far the drive is from Toronto .... my longest straight run is 26 hrs from Key West but have done 19 hours MANY times

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

42 hours ...

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

I double dog dare you to do the drive.

FYI, it's only 9 hours from Vancouver. I played with a couple of Vancouverites at Cabot last fall and we were talking about Bandon. For them it is just as fast to drive as it is to fly.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Only issue we had was breakfast was a grab and go deal that was not worth 24 bucks. We just made PBJ in our room on home made bread from my wife and ate them at turn of first round every day for our breakfast which was a total winner. Everything else was perfect.

Lost parts of 2 toe nails (which happened last year as well-just part of the Bandon experience) and my Big Max Aqua carry bag did not hold up so I am returning it. A couple of seams split.

No Covid issues here. We had our masks in case we needed them. (my home course makes us wear them when we play). Everything about the entire experience felt completely normal. They went way over the top to make sure everything is spotless (I am married to a clean freak so I know). They know that a breakout at the resort and they are shut down for months (along with all their other properties). Staff was 10 out of a 10 and they were genuinely grateful for your patronage.

The drive was not a big deal at all. We made such good time that we went ahead and went all the way and stayed at the resort the night before. Our plan had been to stop somewhere short a few hours but once we got into Oregon we all decided it was worth the extra $100 a piece to wake up on property. We were all glad we did as we unloaded and loaded once.

We got to do a preview round on Sheep Ranch which required caddies. No big deal, they were great. I have played all the other courses multiple times so no need for a caddie for my group. I like to read my own putts and don't want another voice in my head. I embraced my Adult ADD in my 40s and the voices are real so it is really an individual decision. But, if $ is not an issue, it sure is nice to not have to lug/carry/push a golf bag all over for 4 days which makes a caddie a nice option to have. All of the caddies at Bandon are fantastic. I also suffer from AAI which is Advanced Adult Immaturity. There is no cure but I am always better for a while after a trip to Bandon for some reason (at least that is what my wife tells me!)

Cheers!

• Like 1

in to read reviews/comments. Scheduled to go in August

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I'm in Riverside. Heading up there at end of this month for the "Two Man Links Championship" with my son. Can't wait!!! I'm dreadfully out of shape. We will play five rounds in five days (four of them tournament rounds), but I will not be playing 36 on any of the days.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Definitely playing in the event. Four tournament rounds over four days.Weds, June 24, 2020

Arrival day, golf at player's expense today for those that arrive early enough or complimentary use of awesome range

- Lodging: Bandon Dunes ResortThursday, June 25, 2020

Tournament Round 1 at Pacific Dunes

- Lodging: Bandon Dunes Resort

Friday, June 26, 2020

Tournament Round 2 at Bandon Dunes

- Lodging: Bandon Dunes ResortSaturday, June 27, 2020

Tournament Round 3 at Sheep Ranch

- evening: 7:00pm - Dinner at Bandon Dunes- MacKenzie Hall

- Lodging: Bandon Dunes Resort

Sunday, June 28, 2020

Final Round at Bandon Trails

- morning tee times tbd based on number of players -- please check out of your room prior to play unless arrangements have been made to stay over

- Tournament Awards immediately following play at Bandon Trails.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Unthinkable for a European. Even the 13 hours sound terrible. You guys are a different breed when it comes to driving.

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime