Famous courses that disappointed

I've played a lot of good courses, if I could back to anywhere tomorrow it would be St Andrews. Course was great, town was great, atmosphere was great. Nothing like it in the world. I was kind of hoping this comment would have went untouched so it wouldn't get into. I actually feel bad someone could be disappointed by St Andrews, I don't know how that is even possible.

For me, Carnoustie and Prestwick were slight let-downs. Carnoustie I played in miserable weather, so that could be part of it. But its also on very level land, so there are really no views. The big hotel and modern clubhouse don't give much "charm" to the setting. And the last few holes with the winding Barry Burn look great from a high vantage point, but from ground level the Burn just don't look like much of anything. No doubt its a fine difficult golf course, but I wasn't impressed otherwise.

Yet I loved the Old Course, another pretty level bit of land. I can't say why, maybe it was the history, my awe of being there, but I enjoyed it even more the second time I got to play it.

I think I was a little to high on Prestwick before I played it, expected too much. It does have charm, there is enough terrain to make for some good views, but there are just enough holes in the middle of the round without a lot of character that it was underwhelming as a whole. This is one where I might change my mind if I get to play it again.

Funny you say that, mine was in reverse. The first time I played TOC I was dissapointed, I think I had built it up so much that I was not impressed. However each time I play it now I apprreciate it more and more. I see new things with angles and strategy and of course how different it can play based on the weather. But it's exactly opposite with Carnoustie, the first time I played it the weather was typical grey sky with a 20mph wind gusting to 30mph at the end of the round. I remeber 16 and 18 playing so hard into the wind that you could not reach in regulation, and 17 was so hard downwind I almost drove the green. I loved the challenge because it was there right in front of you. However the last time I played it, the weather was perfect and the course was really bland. I can say, I doubt I ever play Carnousite again, but will make a point to play TOC every time I go Scotland. Would love to be able to play TOC the "opposite" or old routing one time too.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

I'll be honest, the first time I played it, I was not that impressed. Now I will say that I had built it up so much that it may not have been realistic. However, the more I play it, the more I get it. My first impression was to just hit is as hard as you can and as far left as you can. It looks like a wide open field with the biggest greens you will ever see. It's not until you play it more that you discover the angles, strategies, and the thought process behind Old Tom's design. Honestly, I would move to St. Andrews tomorrow and play TOC every day if I could.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Without a doubt the answer to this for me is Tobacco Road. Coming off the heals of playing maybe my favorite course, Dormie Club, we played Tobacco Road as the last round of our golf trip a few years ago and about halfway through we were all wishing we would've played Mid Pines/Pine Needles, or really any of the similarly ranked courses instead. Clown golf.

TaylorMade M2 9° Fujikuri Pro Stiff
Ping I3 2-PW Blue
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 52°
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 56°
Ping Karsten Ally i Putter

first time i went to scotland was in march, and a snow storm hit our third day there, so we got in rounds only at the new course & prestwick ... stayed in lower largo, and had a driver/golfer who worked at the university ... got to go to the cathedral at the university, took a tour of some buildings, and were admitted to the tower overlooking the town ... all blanketed in snow ... college would indeed be a blast there, esp if you're a golfer ...

My biggest disappointment was Whistling Straits and Blackwolf Run, albeit due to the weather.  1/2 of Blackwolf Run was under water so we played the front (or back) twice and it was a soppy mess.  The day before we played Whistling Straits with about 50 yards visibility due to fog, so we just hit balls into clouds and hoped for the best.  To be honest both experiences just soured the courses for me.  I have since been back and played the Irish course twice and love it.  1/4 the price and almost guaranteed to be above the fog.

I've played North Berwick 3 times in the last year and cannot understand what is good about it. A run of so-so holes to start, then an uninspiring middle third followed by trick golf to the finish. What a waste of time. There are so,so many better courses within 20 miles.

• Like 1

Mizuno ST190 TS Driver Fujikura Atmos 6R

Cobra Radspeed 5W Fujikura Motore X F3 R

Taylormade 3,5 Hybrid (2010)
5 - 6 Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Recoil F3 95g R 
7 -W Mizuno MP18 SC Recoil F3 95g R
52.08 Vokey SM5
56.08 Vokey SM5
Any of 5 Pings and 1 Seemore FPG

Stranz courses are like Pete Dye courses, or Jack's built in the mid 80s....love'em or hate'em.....me I loved Tobacco Road and Royal New Kent. I'm a glutten for punishment, or reward of scoring well on a ridiculously hard track.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

Spanish Bay was my biggest disappointment. I didn't care for the layout and the course was in by far the worst shape between it, Spyglass, and Pebble. I guess that can be expected when it is the cheapest, but it just wasn't worth the cost that they charged. I would have rather played Spyglass again or gone to Poppy Hills instead.

i agree. torrey pines was the least memorable for me. it may have been a little underwhelming. i think its a great course to play if you are in the area but it's not a place that i would travel to to play again.

whistling straits and its facilities are beautiful. the hotel and accommodations were great. but the golf course was just too hard. they don't call it whistling straits for nothing. wind in the face all day.

I wouldn't say TOC is the best course I've played by a long shot, however the overall experience just gives you goosebumps. Sleeping outside the starter hut, playing in the first group of the day, meeting 3 guys I've never met before who were great company, great caddies so knowledgable, finishing up before 10am. I'd like to play the course again, but at the same time I think it's a once in a lifetime opportunity and want to think back on the experience I had. It's only 4 hrs drive from my house so it's not like I won't be able to or it's too expensive of a trip to make!

Based on price tag I would say Spanish Bay. I would rather spend the extra cash and play Pebble Beach or Spyglass again. Or spend less and go play Poppy hills or drive up the road to play Pasatiempo.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Totally agree with this sentiment, however I never factor price into my enjoyment or not. I do however question the "over watering" comment for pebble. Im coming up on 30 rounds there and have yet to make a ball mark that broke the plant canopy on that course. Greens are historically quite firm. While lush and green I have never had a ball plug in a fairway, and dont remember ever encountering even a mudball in a fairway. If anything Pebble is a great example of keeping it looking lush without overwatering. This coming from a guy whos preference is dry firm links like conditions. I have always been amazed how Pebble keeps conditions how they are. Pebble is many things (including excessively expensive to many) but it is not over watered.

Royal Dornoch

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I said this in one of my UK trip threads last year:
"dare I say it? Overrated? Not in a drastic way, just in a "world best" way. As it's a fantastic track, lots of fun, and I played really well and had an enjoyable morning with a classy fella from the US making up our twosomethe walk to the third tee is something else and it's hard not to be taken in by the surroundings, but does it have too many samey holes and maybe one or two pedestrian ones as well?definitely favours right to left off the tee, if that's your shape you're in luckI'll return - especially since I have 110GBP in credit unless someone wants to make a deal - and maybe think even more of it with multiple plays"It's an incredibly pretty course and a certain forbearer of Castle Stuart, Kingsbarns, and the other modern Scottish resort links, but I expected more for a course held as a world best. That said if someone (@davep043) said it was their favourite course I wouldn't think they were a window linking crazy, because forget about all the lists and what not, and it's top notch stuff.

It's like Bandon. Pac is my 4th favorite there. Certainly doesn't mean it's not good, just that I prefer the other 3 (yet to play SR).
And totally unlike say Spyglass which is easily the most disappointing 'famous course' I've played, as in actually disappointed, not just thinking it might be overrated. Argonne nailed it above and my own take on it over the years is to call it RTJ Trail - Monterey chapter. It's a timeslot hit.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

As soon as I read the title, Torrey Pines came to mind...I just played Spyglass for the second time last month, came away underwhelmed. Once you leave the Ocean, not really a memorable hole to be had.Glad to see someone else agrees with me about the Irish....As for the Meadows, that was such a pleasant Surprise, especially the back 9, interesting but not punishing (I loved River and Straits, despite in Hailing on us at Straits in May)Old Course- opening hole was great, some ho hum holes, a 3 hole good stretch, about 5 more ho hum holes, and then 17 and 18 great holes, I would still love to play it againRoyal Troon, not a huge fan. Maybe 5 holes that I would want to play again.Erin Hills, quality course, not worth the dough

Torrey Pines sticks out as the worst "name" course I have played. It is a nice muni on a great piece of land. Any course can become tough by growing out rough, narrowing fairways, and playing it long. Nothing inspiring about that course, save the 3rd(?) hole, par 3 overlooking the ocean.

I loved Irish, much more than the other courses at Kohler. I thought the Straits was a test of "how well does your caddie know the course". It was fun, but I prefer all the other courses on that property to Straits.

Never golfed at Bandon or in the UK, so I have that to look forward to. Eventually.

Agreed. Heck I can play Spy for $285 in July (NCGA rate) and that's still 50% more than I'd pay. Especially when you can play 36 hole Bayo/Blackhorse if you want a kicking or play 36 at Poppy/PG if you want fun for ~$150.

Harding's out of town rates are simply to get one and done visitors like yourself (like AZ's TPC comment, lol). Can watch it on the tele and have a greater appreciation, but ya the last 5 holes are excellent, just really really good golf, the preceding holes are a solid muni course, nothing more, nothing less.

F.T.

Dubs Dread (Cog Hill #4) is up to $155 now? I remember playing it for $28 when I lived about 10 minutes away. That's serious inflation.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

They've implemented dynamic pricing. $149 to $155 weekday, and $159 to $165 weekend. After 3 pm it's $120ish.

Yeah, decades ago it was under $40.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0