Greatest video I have ever seen on Early extension

Sent the first video to my pro, who’s generally very skeptical of my YT findings. He was impressed and today’s lesson revolved around the issue. It’s exactly my main problem right now.

There‘s hope again...I was very clueless where to go next. Great timing. Thanks.

• Like 1

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

My pro explained it very well today. The gist of it was: staying centered in both the left-right and front-back axis helps getting the hips out of the way, squaring your shoulders (or even better, turn them more open) at impact and hit it out of the middle.

He‘s a former long drive champ with an average build, so he’s got great mechanics.

The drill he gave me: on course, take practice swings with my right foot in front of my left, intentionally raise right toes and left heel in backswing and vice versa in downswing, WHILE staying roughly 50/50 with weight distribution.

Same for the range, but hit golf balls in that setup.

Helps opening the left side at impact and getting the feel for a proper pivot.

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

THANK YOU!

Just had my best range session of the year tonight after watching the video this morning. I’ve been fighting the shanks off and on for 3 months and 150 balls later, not a single shank. Ball was going further, and I was even taking a slight divot - always been a picker.

I’m actually excited to go play again, it’s been a chore of late.

biggest thing i noticed was the forward lean at setup in the shins. i've never had this. always felt centered in balls of feet, but tush line is well behind heels. this is the first part of the change that i feel i need to focus on as the new setup feels incredibly awkward. anyone else doing the same?

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

yes! at first i felt like i was bending too much but on video u barely notice the ankle bend tbh. but it FEELS very different. after about 2 hours hitting balls I felt actually very athletic in this new stance. Like I was a football player ready for action. I have now built in the Malaska "cable pull" action into my reshot routine. Was out there with my buddy showing him it and he had an "ah ha" moment too!

I'm go outside right now and try this. I am tired of impregnating goats! Two takeaways from this video:

At setup, have a little ankle bend to get hips more over the center of the foot (aka better balance, duh!) instead of over the heels.Try to have that right butt cheek smear the glass at the top, both touch at impact, and left cheek smear at impact. (in my mind, this means on the way back, my hips are moving slightly backwards due to head perhaps dipping towards the ball - great, now I create some space in front of me so my arms can work better and not feel choked up).I also learned a lot from this other video on lag:

The lead arm adduction at the top for me was ridiculous - left arm needs to stay in FRONT of the damn chest not across it - pros are like 5-18 deg away from address vs amateurs at 36 deg. This requires more work to get the lead arm back to impact. Less moving parts means less things an go wrong while in transit.Work on a more bowed left wrist at the top. Will get back with my results.

Looking forward to putting this into practice- the new address position already feels good. Hopefully it won't rain all weekend.

Adams 9015D 10.5 Matrix Ozik
TM M2 Deep Face 3HL Fuji Atmos 6
Callaway Apex 20 Steelfiber hls780
Adams Pro Mini 23 Steelfiber i95
Adams A12 Pro Black 5-9PW Steelfiber i95
Adams CB2 GW Steelfiber i95
Vokey SM6 Black 54 S-Grind Steelfiber i110 CW
Vokey Oil Can 58 V-Grind Kuro Kage TiNi 105
Scotty Cameron Pro Plat Newport Mil Spec

It's not how fast you play, it's how well you play fast!

Just came back from the range. The setup with weight moving to the balls of the feet is the magic move. It gives you a more athletic setup.

The pelvis moving backwards is a deliberate move and I can't rely on that. Instead, for me at least, on the way back if I drop my head lower (like Justin Thomas, Tiger etc) closer to the ball, this opens up some space for arms in the DS and my hips "should move back" away from the ball like in the video. The dropping of the head slightly should cause the hip to move away from the ball. I tested this concept against the wall, and it does. happen.

My irons into a 160 green was more consistent than ever.

WIth the driver, it will take some time but I see hope here. I suffered from coming out of spine angle, goat humping etc especially with the driver. Today, I managed to stay balance, to some degree.

I am also not overswinging, by allowing my left arm to not cross over my chest at the top. I may lose power but right now, I'll take consistent flight over power.

The point was to use video for confirmation, which is smart to do because the feel can be overdone if you aren’t verifying it. Yeah you can get the right hip super deep, but if that’s all you’re focusing on, you can end up turning hips level and sway left while doing it and end up with a reverse pivot. Important distinction here. The AMG guys even show in the subsequent video.

I'm just getting back into the game after a 7 year layoff. Last time I played I was in my early 20s and was playing somewhere between a 6-8 but was always a very good ball striker. Scoring was typically my issue. But physically I'm much different than I was back then. In simple terms I was fit and more flexible where now I'm out of shape and stiffer than a board.

I started going to the range again last week. I had the shanks, was hitting a weak push-fade, or flipping and hitting pull hooks. I couldn't hit the ball with any consistency until my last few swings. On those swings I literally felt like my left hip was 45 degrees open to my target. After that, I left the range with a pretty good idea of what I was doing wrong. Found this thread a few days later and voila, I had something to work on and this thread has provided more video and feels than I would have ever found on my own.

I've been working in my basement on the feelings described here and my hip mobility. Took some videos of my swings to make sure that what I'm feeling matches up with what I'm doing and everything looks good. Looking forward to getting to the range this weekend to see if it carries over.

Gankas talks about this and it's really the centerpiece of his teaching. That's why he harps on the setup so much. The last time I went to see GG for an in-person lesson, he was still working with long time student, Johnny Ruiz, on his setup. Essentially it's just like you wrote..if your body isn't aligned properly with your posture at address it will ruin your balance and your body will do things to early extend and balance itself instead of rotating.

Mac also talked about ankle flexion at address. But what has helped me with this video is getting the center of the hip in line with the ankle bone and getting the shins tilted in order to do it. This video kind of put all of those pieces together.

RH

• Like 1

@RichieHunt In your lsat sentence concerning hip positioning, for me, simply moving weight to the balls, instead of the heels at setup would require a bit of hip movement and shin bending towards the ball. I try to keep things simple.
I really do feel my arms having a little more room coming into impact after watching this video. I need 3-4 days of honing in before I play. Thanks OP for this great vid.

After hitting some balls practicing this move I noticed for me moving the hips over the middle of my feet v. over the heel made a big impact to the swing. To avoid EE I used to push my butt out at set up to create space but by doing the opposite ( now more upright with the hips forward) I’m getting more hip depth in the backswing and keeping the hips “against the wall” on my downswing. I used to focus so much on creating depth in the backswing that it was prob causing my EE issues. Still a little steep on my downswing but hitting it way better.

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH

agreed, was counterintuitive for me to stack my hips "closer" to the ball on setup. I feel like im going to punch on the ball at setup now. but in reality I have been able to get muchhhh better hip depth on the backswing. and I think this is the key, as per the original video, getting some depth in the backswing to then try and get more on the downswing. I also noticed I would pull my head back so I have been working on keeping my torso out and over the ball too. when I get this right the ball has a different sound to it off the face :)

Oh boy. This made a huge difference for my last 2 range sessions. Just getting the weight a little more forward and thinking about keeping the small of back steady, if not a little back. Now I need to see if I can get it on the course.

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

Thank you for the video

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Great session today. My back has been sore I think from turning different. Not hurt just I can tell I was using my muscles different which I am taking as a good sign. Currently focusing on AMG setup, rotating around the center, and the malasaka back and up from his video. most common miss is now I will get little steep but if I focus on a nice shallow hand motion "like Rahm" I am usually money. when u compress like this man the ball/strike is just different. cheers to a good week all!

AMG video on shallowing I liked too:

• Like 1