Best ball strikers by era

Jtgavigan

On 8/9/2020 at 8:38 AM, Hankshank said:

Same here about Lee. Surprisingly short guy but stocky. His drives kind of found a layer in the stratosphere and just floated forever up there. His short game was not as enjoyable though.

Lee Westwood short?   Nah....not a giant but a solid, legit 6 footer.

On 8/22/2020 at 12:38 AM, freowho said:

I heard a story about Lietzke once but I don't know if it's true. The other guys on tour didn't believe he didn't practice when he wasn't on tour so they put a banana under his driver cover. Sure enough when he returned his driver was covered in a rotten banana. Has anyone heard this?

I also heard that. I believe it was in a Jim Flick book as well. May have been a Harvey Penick book but, it was one of them.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, double_d said:

I also heard that. I believe it was in a Jim Flick book as well. May have been a Harvey Penick book but, it was one of them.

Responding to my own post.

I think Tiger once said the only players in history who "Owned" their swing were Hogan and Moe Norman. I think I would have to add Lietzke to that list. I'm not saying "owning" your swing means you are a great ball striker but, if anyone can perform at that a PGA tour level without practicing their swing for weeks or months at a time, that is surely "owning" your swing.

Edited by double_d
  • Like 3

I would vote for Justin Thomas in the modern era.  He really puts a shallow crisp strike on the ball.  I watched him on the range at the Phoenix open a few years ago and he hardly disturbed the turf during his warm up session.  The only other person in recent years who I've observed hit balls for an entire warm up and hardly move the turf was Tiger. 

Its almost as if they have such superior control over the path and depth in delivering the clubface to the ball that when they are on the range just getting loose they can pick the ball right off the ground, then when they are on the course presented with situations that require different flights, they can dig in a little more and take a divot. 

Edited by Dr. Block
  • Like 1

On 8/9/2020 at 6:44 AM, Jtgavigan said:

I have been thinking about this for a while and I wanted to throw this out there. Who do you guys think are the best ball strikers by era? I will start and I dont think that this is a comprehensive list.

Pre 1950 - Bobby Jones. I watch some of his old videos are marvel at what he could do.

1950s and 60s - Ben Hogan, Sam Snead, Moe Norman (maybe the best ever honestly)

1970s and 1980s - Johnny Miller, Hal Sutton, Greg Norman, Lee Trevino, Mac O'Grady

1990s and 2000s - Tiger Woods, Nick Price

2010s until now - Rory McIlroy, Henrik Stenson, and I think a guy like Colin Morikawa may sneak on here

Why no Nicklaus?

The man is probably the best 1 iron player under the most intense pressure ever!

• Like 2

As I said, I may have missed some and we had a great discussion about Jack Nicklaus in this thread. 

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Dynamic Gold Sensicore X100 (4i is DG X100 soft stepped 1.5 times), D3, 2° flat;

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°, all 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

Srixon Z Star XV, TP5X, or Maxfli Tour X

18 hours ago, Dr. Block said:

I would vote for Justin Thomas in the modern era.  He really puts a shallow crisp strike on the ball.  I watched him on the range at the Phoenix open a few years ago and he hardly disturbed the turf during his warm up session.  The only other person in recent years who I've observed hit balls for an entire warm up and hardly move the turf was Tiger. 

Its almost as if they have such superior control over the path and depth in delivering the clubface to the ball that when they are on the range just getting loose they can pick the ball right off the ground, then when they are on the course presented with situations that require different flights, they can dig in a little more and take a divot. 

Agreed...

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Dynamic Gold Sensicore X100 (4i is DG X100 soft stepped 1.5 times), D3, 2° flat;

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°, all 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

Srixon Z Star XV, TP5X, or Maxfli Tour X

Ask any European Tour Pro from the 90's or early 2000's this question and an Australian, Peter O'Malley would get a lot of votes. As one of his contemporaries said of him 'No golfer has ever lived who has missed more 10 foot birdie putts'. Amazing how many on this list were less than great putters. Seems even the very best cannot master all aspects of the game.

Here are a few others that European's might add to this list; Tony Jacklin, Barry Lane, Ian Woosnam. From current game I would add Tommy Fleetwood and until this season Justin Rose.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jtgavigan said:

Agreed...

2 issues rule JT out for me:

1. Wayne Riley measured the distance between where 2 drives finished that JT made in consecutive rounds on the same hole in a PGA Tour event a couple of years ago and it was 190 yards! He pulled one and pushed the next but to be that far off...

2. He doesn’t have the recovery shots out of the trees like the other great ballstrikers mentioned. I’ve never seen him punch out from the trees with a low fade or draw and get the ball on the green...perhaps it’s because he’s further offline than the others (see point 1 above)

Edited by mahonie

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

11 hours ago, Chip Out Sideways said:

Ask any European Tour Pro from the 90's or early 2000's this question and an Australian, Peter O'Malley would get a lot of votes. As one of his contemporaries said of him 'No golfer has ever lived who has missed more 10 foot birdie putts'. Amazing how many on this list were less than great putters. Seems even the very best cannot master all aspects of the game.

Here are a few others that European's might add to this list; Tony Jacklin, Barry Lane, Ian Woosnam. From current game I would add Tommy Fleetwood and until this season Justin Rose.

If you're going there Peter Senior, Anders Forsbrand, Sandy Lyle, Darren Clarke, Mark McNulty were all more complete tee to green than O'Malley 

13 hours ago, Chip Out Sideways said:

POM's caddy also caddied for Craig Parry. He said you would just hand Craig Parry a club and not think twice because his short game was so good. But you would double and triple check the yardage before giving POM a club and then hope he hit it to an inch!

13 hours ago, Chip Out Sideways said:

When you hit as many greens at O'Malley, it is understandable his putting stats were not that good.

The man did also beat prime Tiger at the WGC Match Play.

On 8/29/2020 at 10:08 AM, mahonie said:

2 issues rule JT out for me:

1. Wayne Riley measured the distance between where 2 drives finished that JT made in consecutive rounds on the same hole in a PGA Tour event a couple of years ago and it was 190 yards! He pulled one and pushed the next but to be that far off...

2. He doesn’t have the recovery shots out of the trees like the other great ballstrikers mentioned. I’ve never seen him punch out from the trees with a low fade or draw and get the ball on the green...perhaps it’s because he’s further offline than the others (see point 1 above)

I think you're confusing ball striking with scoring and playing golf.  I can't say the two aren't related, that wouldn't be fair, but speaking to the pure aesthetics of putting the club-head on the ball, Justin Thomas is high up the list. All you have to do is sit on the range and watch and listen as the pros hit balls.  They all hit it pretty nice, but some are on another level.

Also, I assure you he can hit recovery shots from the tree's on to greens.  In fact, considering he is ranked 143rd on tour in driving accuracy, his recovery game has to be much better then average. 

9 minutes ago, Dr. Block said:

I think you're confusing ball striking with scoring and playing golf.  I can't say the two aren't related, that wouldn't be fair, but speaking to the pure aesthetics of putting the club-head on the ball, Justin Thomas is high up the list. All you have to do is sit on the range and watch and listen as the pros hit balls.  They all hit it pretty nice, but some are on another level.

Also, I assure you he can hit recovery shots from the tree's on to greens.  In fact, considering he is ranked 143rd on tour in driving accuracy, his recovery game has to be much better then average. 

Driving accuracy on the PGA Tour is not a thing generally...JT proves that. Those 2 drives that finished 190 yards apart still gave him a relatively easy shot into the green on both days and iirc he parred both times. 

With his recovery shots, this season I can’t recall seeing him get it near to the green when he’s faced by overhanging branches or if he has to shape it. Having said that, he hit a cracking shot over the weekend on 15 I think where he had a blind shot and had to come over trees.

For me, control of flight and trajectory mark out the supreme ballstrikers and as good as JT is, I don’t see him in the upper echelons just yet. FWIW, Rahm is in that category too in my book.

Radius Classic 8

45 minutes ago, mahonie said:

Driving accuracy on the PGA Tour is not a thing generally...JT proves that. Those 2 drives that finished 190 yards apart still gave him a relatively easy shot into the green on both days and iirc he parred both times. 

With his recovery shots, this season I can’t recall seeing him get it near to the green when he’s faced by overhanging branches or if he has to shape it. Having said that, he hit a cracking shot over the weekend on 15 I think where he had a blind shot and had to come over trees.

For me, control of flight and trajectory mark out the supreme ballstrikers and as good as JT is, I don’t see him in the upper echelons just yet. FWIW, Rahm is in that category too in my book.

You think the third ranked golfer in the world isn't in the upper echelons of trajectory control?  I'd love to hear your explanation

I’ve never heard other pros talking about JT being a great ballstriker. I haven’t seen other pros watch JT’s range sessions in awe. He’s obviously a great overall golfer but hit ball striking isn’t extra special. 

For example Abraham Ancer would be a current player that other pro watch him practice..it’s not his overall ballstriking but just his pitching. 

34 minutes ago, airjammer said:

I’ve never heard other pros talking about JT being a great ballstriker. I haven’t seen other pros watch JT’s range sessions in awe. He’s obviously a great overall golfer but hit ball striking isn’t extra special. 

For example Abraham Ancer would be a current player that other pro watch him practice..it’s not his overall ballstriking but just his pitching. 

I feel ya.  And obviously this all highly subjective and probably not worth debating, but I've spent a lot of time giving my own eye test at the driving range of pro events.  Guys who have stood out as next level to me:  Stenson, Garcia, Thomas, Tiger.  Guys who surprised me with the digs & scrapes:  Els, Marino, Reed, Dufner, Leonard.  Guys who I never thought were pure on TV, but were amazing in person: Mayfair, Furyk, Big John Daly.  Especially Furyk.  I  followed and watched Furyk play 18 holes last year at Medinah during the BMW.  He didn't miss a single shot - amazing.  Daly is also really impressive.  Followed him this year at the Chubb.  He hit driver off the deck on one hole like it was on a tee.  Ive seen drivers off the deck, but not like that one.   

I'll also give an honorable mention for the shortest and most indifferent warm up session before a final round I've ever witnessed.  It was Carlos Franco at the Senior event they used to play at Kemper Lakes up here in Chicago.  He was in the second to last group out that day.  He hit the range about 10 minutes before his tee time and hit about six shots with a seven iron, then he was off to the putting green. We all had a chuckle

Edited by Dr. Block
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Dr. Block said:

I feel ya.  And obviously this all highly subjective and probably not worth debating, but I've spent a lot of time giving my own eye test at the driving range of pro events.  Guys who have stood out as next level to me:  Stenson, Garcia, Thomas, Tiger.  Guys who surprised me with the digs & scrapes:  Els, Marino, Reed, Dufner, Leonard.  Guys who I never thought were pure on TV, but were amazing in person: Mayfair, Furyk, Big John Daly.  Especially Furyk.  I  followed and watched Furyk play 18 holes last year at Medinah during the BMW.  He didn't miss a single shot - amazing.  Daly is also really impressive.  Followed him this year at the Chubb.  He hit driver off the deck on one hole like it was on a tee.  Ive seen drivers off the deck, but not like that one.  

I think the ball/other equipment and how deep the fields are really prevent a true ball striking savant from making it to the pga tour this day in age so they all hit it great in general it just comes down to if they can hit it great or poorly and score regardless. 

The only one I can recall to be called out for their mediocre ball striking is Fredrick Jacobson. 

• Like 1

Just now, airjammer said:

I think the ball/other equipment and how deep the fields are really prevent a true ball striking savant from making it to the pga tour this day in age so they all hit it great in general it just comes down to if they can hit it great or poorly and score regardless. 

The only one I can recall to be called out for their mediocre ball striking is Fredrick Jacobson. 

Yep, and Fredrick Jacobson was an exceptional putter.  That seems to be the deciding factor.  Mac O'Grady was probably the greatest ball striker there ever was, and in an era when it was quite an asset, but according to Gary McCord, he couldn't putt to save his life.

2 hours ago, Dr. Block said:

You think the third ranked golfer in the world isn't in the upper echelons of trajectory control?  I'd love to hear your explanation

From the middle of the fairway, when he has a number, there are not many players in the world who are better...that’s a given.

Just recently, there have been a few occasions where I would expect him to make the shot from inside the trees but he’s caught an overhanging branch or got too much juice on a low punch and put the ball 40 yards through the green.

Perhaps I’m being tough on him but I’m waiting to see something that puts him into the Premier League.

• Like 1

Radius Classic 8

24 minutes ago, mahonie said:

From the middle of the fairway, when he has a number, there are not many players in the world who are better...that’s a given.

Just recently, there have been a few occasions where I would expect him to make the shot from inside the trees but he’s caught an overhanging branch or got too much juice on a low punch and put the ball 40 yards through the green.

Perhaps I’m being tough on him but I’m waiting to see something that puts him into the Premier League.

Fair enough.  We're all debating on what we see.  I can respect that answer.   

• Like 1

I was at Riviera several times over the years.  At least twice I saw O'Grady's full session.  He was pretty amazing.  move the ball left to right, right to left, high, low.  Hit the same club a wide variety of distances.  And more than a couple huge stars walking over to talk with him.  Couldn't hear much but his hands were demonstrating trajectory and ball path like a fighter pilot.  A couple guys watched him hit for a bit.  I remember Seve just shaking his head and walking away after a few minutes.

• Like 3

On 8/29/2020 at 9:57 PM, iBanesto said:

When you hit as many greens at O'Malley, it is understandable his putting stats were not that good.

The man did also beat prime Tiger at the WGC Match Play.

Lefty Nick O'Hern beat Tiger twice in the WGC Match (2005/07) during peak Tiger as well. Being a great ball striker doesn't mean or guarantee anything in professional golf. Especially in a one round 18 hole match play event. Interesting how many professional golfers today with beautiful looking golf swings rarely win on tour. I'll take a golf swing that produces wins over being pretty every day. 

• Like 1

Don’t understand how some can say Sergio Garcia was a great ball striker. I mean, look at how many times he’s thrown his clubs after hitting irons. Look at how many times he’s had sand trap tantrums. If you say Sergio is a great ball striker. Then Patrick Reed isn’t a cheater. 

• 2 months later...
On 9/12/2020 at 4:13 AM, I'_rather_be_golfing said:

Don’t understand how some can say Sergio Garcia was a great ball striker. I mean, look at how many times he’s thrown his clubs after hitting irons. Look at how many times he’s had sand trap tantrums. If you say Sergio is a great ball striker. Then Patrick Reed isn’t a cheater. 

Um, what does temperament have to do with ball striking? If you ever seen Sergio hit balls in person you'll reassess that position. Is he a guy with emotional outburst problems? Hell yeah, but his ball striking is top draw. 

• Like 2

On 9/12/2020 at 4:13 AM, I'_rather_be_golfing said:

Actually go and watch him in a round, the guy hits every shot in the book, fade, draw, high, low, ive followed him for 2 rounds now in The Open and its amazing to watch, its worth following him to watch him hit a fairway wood, the flight and sound is unreal

Edited by Superbrit
  • Like 3

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Adams XTD Ti 3 wood 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Cobra King forged TEC 2023 black 5-PW

Cobra snakebite Black wedges 50/54/58

Bettinardi BB39