Monte's new No Turn - Cast

Hawkeye77

19 minutes ago, CasualLie said:

How do I say this without sounding like a shill?  (Well, if anyone thinks it's a shill, then they will miss out so screw em.).

You absolutely cannot find a better video for your swing to get into shape.  So I don't get into debates with single digits indexers who are being held back from scratch due to short game :classic_rolleyes:, let's just say if you're a 10 or above, this video is a must.  Dare I say, it's better than the efficient swing series.

There is so much packed info, expertly broken down.  One concept from an 8 minute YouTube video now 45 minutes explaining to the point you can't fail.  And as Monte points out, it's not just a drill, it is a swing, no exaggerations needed.  The best part to me is just how much it simplifies the same concepts you have heard many times before but did not understand.  If you watched Monte's IG live chats or read his posts, many, many times he would talk about getting to 8:00, but how?  There are different interpretations.  Even Monte showing it on IG live with camera face on and reverse image...it wasn't clear.  But in this video it is precise and you will have that aha moment.

I watched the full series Friday night, and decided what the hell, for one round I'm going to ditch the pressure shift feels for one round and just go with this feel of getting to 8:00 just for Driver, the hardest club.  No practice, no warmup possible, playing Harding Park Saturday (yesterday).  You do not want to be in the rough at that course.  And I'm always fighting a tendency to over swing.  I split the fairway at 1,2,4,5, screwed up 6 with loss of concentration.  Back to center on 7,9,10, just barely missed fairway 12,13, center again 14,15,16...and should be split 18, but I got cute trying to cut way too much off left... Still survived... Best driver day in a long time.

No matter where you go, your next lesson will cost more, and most lessons 5x more, but no way will you get more out of your $100 one hour lesson than you will get out of this video.  

Great stuff Monte.

Haha, I thought the same when I started the thread.

I've had "breakfast with Monte" the last two early mornings watching it and a lot of things are crystallized for me.  Came at the right time.  Hit my high for 9 holes in many years the other night and have been in a terrible slump (had my wife video my swing a couple of weeks ago and she gets a trophy for patience with me after I saw what I'd let my swing become this summer and wasn't a lot of fun for a bit that evening).  Was playing really well for awhile, but had gotten into bad habits via my elbow surgery and was picking it and and must have been afraid to take a divot and getting by with Kung Fu fighting "expert timing".  Saw my long time local pro for some much needed setup and back to basics, dived back into my Monte clinic notebook and this new vid is what I've been working on since spring of '18 and again, really puts it all in focus.  Fairways found again and irons crisp-er, on the road to recovery!

No Turn - Cast just couldn't be set out any better - great job!

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 1

This worth more than the $19 he’s charging!

just finished it it’s so simple and can’t wait to get to the range

• Like 1

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

Had one of my most accurate ballstriking rounds ever after trying out the no turn cast concept from Monte's original YouTube video. Just a simple thought of setting the wrists in the correct position on the way back and dumping those wrist angles on the downswing. Of course I ended up throwing away those feels in search of more distance and "compression" but I'll likely take a bite at this new video. I have Monte's Efficient Swing and it does a great job of explaining swing concepts so I'd imagine this one is also easy to digest.

• Like 3

TaylorMade M5

Titleist 917F3 15°

Cobra King F6 Baffler

Cobra King Forged CB 4-P

Cobra King Raw 50 • 54 • 58

Scotty Cameron IBDD

Titleist Pro V1x

2 hours ago, hm59 said:

Had one of my most accurate ballstriking rounds ever after trying out the no turn cast concept from Monte's original YouTube video. Just a simple thought of setting the wrists in the correct position on the way back and dumping those wrist angles on the downswing. Of course I ended up throwing away those feels in search of more distance and "compression" but I'll likely take a bite at this new video. I have Monte's Efficient Swing and it does a great job of explaining swing concepts so I'd imagine this one is also easy to digest.

I think you’ll find transition and wrists in particular explored a little more - expanded explanations and demonstrations. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ironcat said:

Trying to buy now - to be honest, the website and buying funnel is painful.

Monte if you read this, it could be so much better at converting sales!

Will try again later.

@ironcat; I had the same problem, but you actually just have to click on one of the videos to then be given the option to pay. It is not very intuitive, but I was able to get it to work. 

Agree with all the opinions here. This video is gold. The detailed explanation and drills for 8 o'clock were awesome, but the 2nd cast move was new to me. Has anyone taught that before? That was a new one for me, but very interesting. Tried it today, was hitting some thin and lower shots, but definitely far less dispersion, as Monte said. A great compliment to efficient swing and really great value. Well worth the price.

• Like 2

Just wanted to reply that I don’t have issues buying videos it’s a few more clicks than one

but not that huge of an issue 

• Like 1

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

Cheaper than a golf glove and solid gold instruction per usual!

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 // Autoflex SF505

Callaway AI Smoke Max // Tour AD IZ 55

Ping G430 3H, 4H, 5H // Tour AD IZ 65

Titleist T200/T150 5-GW // Steelfiber i80PR

Titleist SM10 52.08, 56.10 // Steelfiber i90PR

L.A.B. Golf DF3 // L.A.B. x TPT

Can anyone compare this video to the Bradley Hughes “4:30”’drill series? 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 9* w/ Fujikura Speeder Evo II 661 X (with 20g weight in butt)

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5* w/ Graphite Design AD-DI 7S

Titleist TSR3 18* w/ Graphite Design AD-IZ 8S

Titleist u505 3i 20* w/ Graphite Design AD-IZ 9S

Srixon ZX4 MkII w/ Project X LZ 6.0 5-PW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50@49* - Taylormade MG4 56* and 60*

LAB Golf Mezz Max Broom 79.5* lie, 45" or one of my Armlocks

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV or Maxfli Tour X

I'm currently in the midst of a lost swing phase, which usually happens for a few weeks or a month or so every summer. It usually starts with me trying to fix one thing and then breaking 20 others, which leads me to trying to rebuild my swing on the fly and subsequently playing golf swing on the course. To predictably terrible, discombobulated, unathletic results. I had an AWFUL round this morning and was feeling pretty despondent. 

So, it's a good time for something like this to pop up in my feed. 15 minutes spent on this video series and I'm already feeling back to normal. I'm 100% sure that my wrists were causing huge problems in my swing because the initial "flattening" move feels completely foreign to me. But when I put that feeling together with the turn (or lack thereof) and casting... well, not I feel like an athlete again.

Thanks, Monte! 

• Like 3

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Cobra LTDx LS 5 wood

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 4-PW

Ping Glide 3.0 wedges

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Ive watched it three times already. Excited to use the new feels...Once these two hurricanes pass ( thanks 2020) through the New Orleans area and I can get to the range and work on it some. 
I used the first you tube vid with alot of success. Throwing away the “ angles” was completely counterintuitive but sure worked to sync up everything. When done right Id swing and look up and the ball would be flying directly at the aim point.... swing felt effortless and truthfully speaking powerless ... but it wasn't bc I was using a more efficient move and a-lot less effort. Monte again strikes gold and delivers a easy to understand, Well explained step by step ( with fantastic camera angles including face on and above ) that really make it easy to “ get “ what he is saying. The explanations of why things look the way they do in the still pics of swings makes sense. As well as the concept of the need to get the  feels “ intent” Done as early in the transition as possible. 
Thank you Monte! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Qwiklap said:

Can anyone compare this video to the Bradley Hughes “4:30”’drill series? 

Hughes says basically have intent to swing on 4:30 path - problems like too steep if outside as he demonstrates, etc.  Shows you a lag holding position with his arms, then "arms swing body and body swings arms" (you may not agree with body swings arms or you may, but that's what he says).  Others he talks about spine tilt and right foot/leg pressures driving the result.  He obviously gets in the position that all good golfers get in, because he's an exceptional player, and you can see he is, but the explanation is different to the extent there is one.

It's the "why" of all this that Hughes doesn't address, sort of like "do this", or "look like this".

For me, that's the different between Monte's vid and Hughes and lots of others - it addresses the "why" and the interaction of wrists/arms/turn. Hughes is simply telling you how your swing should look, IMO, and what intents he talks about seem to originate more from positions, but that's the amateur take. ?

So a very big difference if you are interested in an explanation of why it is happening - for me, understanding the "why" makes the difference.

Edited by Hawkeye77

OK, as a result of this thread I've just bought my first ever piece of paid for golf instruction online.  The original and famous foggy 'no turn/cast' video always worked well for me so I thought why not?  

All I can say is that it was worth every penny.  Has given me a level of understanding that I didn't have before.  Monte seems to have a gift for deconstructing the complex motion of a golf swing and making to easy to digest.  There's so much more here than the basic 'no turn/cast'.  As Hawkeye says above, you get the 'why'.  And for me at least, knowing the 'why' really helps.

Highly recommended. 

Edited by jumboross
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Rogue St Max LS 9'
Titleist 915F 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 70 15
Callaway Apex Pro 24 3,4,5 iron
Callaway Apex Pro CB 6 - 11 iron 
Vokey SM8 x 2
Scotty Cameron Newport

I grew up in the X factor era and played with a restricted hip movement for 25 years thinking it was the key to power. After watching the original video and having done 2 video lessons with Monte, I know what I have to do (I am his extreme B) and have improved the position dramatically with great results. I start the hips moving fine and just lose it slightly at the very end of the backswing with a small drift. His 7 to 8 drill just made the light bulb go off with a super simple drill to feel it properly (that nugget would have been helpful on the video lesson). I have run through the video and really like the way he breaks it down as to when you feel it, when it really happens, and what you are actually doing. The downswing happens quickly and he sets you up in the best positions for success. It's well worth the nominal fee and now I have a clearer picture for where he is taking me on the lessons journey.  

• Like 2

Cobra LTDx 10.5* Tour AD HD 5X, Rad Tour 16*, Even Flow White 6.0, Tour Edge 19* 3H, Hzdrus Smoke Black 6.0

Titleist U500 4 23* Hzdrus Smoke Black 6.0 

Titleist 718 AP2 5-P DG AMT White S300 

Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S, DG S200

Odyssey 2 Ball Blade, Vice Pro Plus, Foresight GC3 

30 minutes ago, games said:

Don’t know why I feel this way, but I believe this is going to help a lot of seasoned golfers who just developed bad swing habits.  Maybe it’s so different, especially the “cast” concept that the student has no choice but to do something and feel something different than what they currently do.

BTW, I ripped through a shot in my swing room after practicing the drill Monte has the students do in the video.  Great impact, with more speed than I usually generate.  Just didn’t open up at impact, so the resulting flip sent the exit more vertical.  I didn’t need that ceiling fan blade anyway.

Yep, I've been playing 5 times a week for two years now.  After one year I was about a 19 handicap, after two years.......... I'm about a 19 handicap.  Whenever I go see a pro, they talk to me about the ways I need release the club w/ wrists and forearms, etc. after P6........ and I'm like that feels nearly impossible to do consistently, trying to manipulate the wrist and forearms midswing, etc.????....... on a pitch shot sure, but full speed????  Well slow down your swing to give yourself a shot.......... okay but that feels unnatural, unathletic and out of rhythm........ 

But I was like what choice do I have but to learn that, am I just going to "wave a magic wand" at the top of my swing and pull the trigger???........  that is what it looks like the pros and good local college/high school players I see live are doing....... but doesn't seem realistic......... yes, yes, it is realistic, all the work and intent is at the top of the swing.

Edited by ohakim82
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ohakim82 said:

Yep, I've been playing 5 times a week for two years now.  After one year I was about a 19 handicap, after two years.......... I'm about a 19 handicap.  Whenever I go see a pro, they talk to me about the ways I need release the club w/ wrists and forearms, etc. after P6........ and I'm like that feels nearly impossible to do consistently, trying to manipulate the wrist and forearms midswing, etc.????....... on a pitch shot sure, but full speed????  Well slow down your swing to give yourself a shot.......... okay but that feels unnatural, unathletic and out of rhythm........ 

But I was like what choice do I have but to learn that, am I just going to "wave a magic wand" at the top of my swing and pull the trigger???........  that is what it looks like the pros and good local college/high school players I see live are doing....... but doesn't seem realistic......... yes, yes, it is realistic, all the work and intent is at the top of the swing.

Just don't say, "this feels weird" around Monte! ?

1 hour ago, oscar10 said:

Can someone explain how to buy this video on an Ipad. Can’t seem to find the payment link.

I don't use an ipad - but did you create an account?  Payment information is usually set-up as part of the account details.   Then you can purchase after you log into your account.

On 8/23/2020 at 9:43 AM, stingerfade said:

Sounds like MDLT - let the body react to the club not the other way around. 

doubt MDLT could hit it 330 in the air though!! 

No he didn't but I think the important thing is that both Manny and Monte have hit upon something fundamental  The body will respond to the motion of the club if you let it.  I also particularly like a video Monte did where he demonstrates the pitch shot as a sort of underhand tossing motion.  Watch him make the tossing motion and watch his body respond.

Steve

• Like 2