How Would YOU "Bryson Proof" a Course??

Forged4ever

1 hour ago, Titleist99 said:

Martin Laird won the Shriners today. He average 284 all drives.....If you roll back the ball he would be off the tour with his 254 yard drives. The sky is not falling ,,,can we stop trying to change golf because of Bryson De.

I guess Bryson Proofing is pretty simple. Keep the courses set-up so every length of hitter in the field can be differentiated by approach proximity, short game, and putting.   

On 10/10/2020 at 9:04 AM, bladehunter said:

I’d say it’s because it’s detrimental to someone’s overall health to add 40 lbs of fat.  At least that’s my opinion.  Bryson is portly.  It’s not a healthy condition if you asked his Family doc.  Add in the stress on joints etc , and I just don’t see how it leads to a career past 35.  

here’s the actual rub.  If enough change to his method and are willing to give up a long career to swing that hard , then the pro game is fundamentally changed to where a guy can’t win unless he does it.  And 35 is retirement age.  Is that what we want ? A career similar to what a NFL player sees ?  Maybe the majority does.  I don’t know. 

Well gee, since it’s just fat....why don’t TimHerron and Colin Montgomerie and Aphibarnratt and and and others hit it further? Why is Monty able to play so well past 50 if being fat means your done at 35?

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

4 minutes ago, ChrisL52188 said:

Its simple. Play Pine Valley narrow fairways to as 30 yards wide, and with greens on 15 on the stimpmeter. Any takers? 

But the question is how to Bryson proof the course. How is that suggestion not making it most difficult for shorter hitters?  Let’s say you make the fairways really narrow. One of two things has to happen. Either everyone lays up, and the long hitters can lay up to the prime area with a shorter club and have a shorter club in from that spot meaning they have more height and spin to your 15 stomp greens....OR, as at Winged Foot, the players will go ahead and hit driver and the longer players are better from the rough. 
As long as the longer players are still reasonably straight they will have an advantage...as it should be.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shilgy said:

But the question is how to Bryson proof the course. How is that suggestion not making it most difficult for shorter hitters?  Let’s say you make the fairways really narrow. One of two things has to happen. Either everyone lays up, and the long hitters can lay up to the prime area with a shorter club and have a shorter club in from that spot meaning they have more height and spin to your 15 stomp greens....OR, as at Winged Foot, the players will go ahead and hit driver and the longer players are better from the rough. 
As long as the longer players are still reasonably straight they will have an advantage...as it should be.

It would be quite an impossible putting contest at that speed and on the Pine Valley greens? Sure distance is a premium but putting is what matters more. I know I sound stupid but. 

3 hours ago, ChrisL52188 said:

It would be quite an impossible putting contest at that speed and on the Pine Valley greens? Sure distance is a premium but putting is what matters more. I know I sound stupid but. 

No it's not stupid. My only point is you cannot do a course setup that affects long hours more than short. Length is, and always has been, a tremendous asset with reasonable accuracy.

• Like 1

No driver loft less than 9.5 degrees, and limit driver length to 45".  No major costs to anyone.  No major rollbacks.  No conflicting standards for pros vs ams.  Simple easy fix that can be done tomorrow by ruling bodies.

• Like 1

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

10 hours ago, tw_focus said:

The real question is how you Martin Laird-proof a course. That guy is going to tear up Augusta with the way he putts, it's not fair.

Add fan's into the mix and he won't win again.. Buddy seemed to twitch and reset if a leave fell from a tree..:)

Having fan's in attendance really does change the environment and I can see why many of these journeymen (who are all incredible golfers) fail to succeed.

Titleist....

I'm not sure if this has been suggested already, but if your goal is to reinforce the need for accuracy as a critical aspect of the pro game then I would work on making the rough at all pro's length inconsistent. I know that my course has common bermuda mixed with fescue...you never know if the ball will drop to the bottom, sit on top, give you a flyer or grab the hosel and shut down the face. Couple mixed grasses and clumps with some small furrows and hollows within the rough area to give very irregular lies along with the grasses.  I don't have a clue how realistic this is from a course maintenance standpoint. I really don't think BD requires changing anything at all.  I think the fear is probably that if all the longest hitters are able to do the same thing then we may have a problem....long hitters still have to putt.

I don't quite understand the criticism of the driver/wedge being boring. Maybe to play but to watch on TV it is no different than any other club. These guys are so good it doesn't matter. It isn't like they are going to top a 5-iron and watch it roll out 80 yards. They are going to flush the 5-iron the same as the PW. I have never found watching guys hit 5-irons to be more exciting. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dropkicked said:

Add fan's into the mix and he won't win again.. Buddy seemed to twitch and reset if a leave fell from a tree..:)

Having fan's in attendance really does change the environment and I can see why many of these journeymen (who are all incredible golfers) fail to succeed.

Are you referring to Laird? 4 wins is journeyman now?

Ban protein shakes?

You can't ban hard work... he's out working the other guys on tour... it's that simple.

Not the longest, but he's hitting thousands of drivers to figure out how to optimize what he's got.  And hit putting is ridiculously good... which is why he's winning.

• Like 3

----------------
Golf Jobs

spacer.png

2 hours ago, jons1 said:

Ban protein shakes?

You can't ban hard work... he's out working the other guys on tour... it's that simple.

Not the longest, but he's hitting thousands of drivers to figure out how to optimize what he's got.  And hit putting is ridiculously good... which is why he's winning.

Out working and outthinking the others. And is willing to see and try anything. 
It’s funny. We have so many cautionary tales in golf of guys that messed up their swing making changes...Guldahl, Spieth, BakerFinch etc.  To the point where most fans and players feel the best road is to leave well enough alone and just make small incremental improvements.

And along comes Bryson, willing to change things up on an almost weekly basis. And making huge strides doing so. Will he eventually fall on his face? Maybe. Either that or he will do some amazing things that will drive many mad.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2020 at 4:47 PM, Forged4ever said:

Hey Gals & Gents, I hope that you all are well👊

This is Bryson's take on slowin him down, though what would you do, short of just lengthening the course?

My first thought was to set the course up to keep the driver out of his hands, and as far as the rest of the field??

Deal with it🤷🏻‍♂️

Also, he stated that "distance is now king."

Well, distance has ALWAYS been king!!

For you youngsters, go back to the archives and read what they said after Jack exploded onto the scene, and Gregory, then Big John and lastly, Tiger🐯 

Distance has ALWAYS been King!!

Keep the Faith My Friends, we're gonna get through this together😊

Fairways & Greens 4ever

RP

https://golf.com/news/bryson-dechambeau-bryson-proof-course/amp/

I would let Thomas Bjorn decide 😉

• Like 2

When you lead the field in Driving distance and putting - you deserve to win. The courses are fine. If they shoot 22 under par it's a testament to their skill not the conditions. If you want to make a course harder grow the rough and bake the greens. Other than that let them show off because they're incredible players. 

• Like 2

181205278_ScreenShot2020-10-24at1_22_43PM.png.22e37bf1ba6f043b10e521513a2bc41e.png

----------------
Golf Jobs

spacer.png

On 10/1/2020 at 7:47 AM, Forged4ever said:

Hey Gals & Gents, I hope that you all are well👊

This is Bryson's take on slowin him down, though what would you do, short of just lengthening the course?

My first thought was to set the course up to keep the driver out of his hands, and as far as the rest of the field??

Deal with it🤷🏻‍♂️

Also, he stated that "distance is now king."

Well, distance has ALWAYS been king!!

For you youngsters, go back to the archives and read what they said after Jack exploded onto the scene, and Gregory, then Big John and lastly, Tiger🐯 

Distance has ALWAYS been King!!

Keep the Faith My Friends, we're gonna get through this together😊

Fairways & Greens 4ever

RP

https://golf.com/news/bryson-dechambeau-bryson-proof-course/amp/

Make the course shorter! Firm fast and sub 7100 yards gives everyone on tour the opportunity to use distance to their advantage. The longer the course is the easier it will be for the Bryson’s to dominate. Lengthening the course just plays right into their hand. If you want to Bryson proof a course or a tournament making the course shorter is your answer. 

his good is obviously next level good but his bad is also going to be extremely bad going after it like that. Let’s see how long the back can hold..

• Like 1

Here's an idea that doesn't require changing the course or equipment.

Sell tournament tickets for $20 each and that includes a frosty six-pack of beer and a vuvuzela.

Get rid of the ropes and let people roam the course. No marshals. Let the good manners, high intelligence and respectful consideration of modern people shine through. Allow cameras, airhorns, small firecrackers and fans can bring their pets.

Oh, and have designated "demonstration areas" so people can demonstrate for or against their favorite social cause.

I think Bryson's score might creep a little higher without the USGA doing anything.

Good idea?

Edited by Soloman1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2020 at 1:53 AM, Forged4ever said:

Hell, forget the Korn Ferry, as all that ya have to do is look at what the USGA force fed Oakmont in exchange for future Majors, lol.

Stay Well AJ👊

All the Best,

RP

Richard could you elaborate on Oakmont, I thought the membership removed all those trees themselves. Of course the chop down all the trees movement going on at most clubs is gonna lead to some easier 2nd shots when the tee ball is off the fairway.  

• Like 2

It has been said a few times, but actually shortening the course would take away much of the advantages that bombers like Bryson enjoy, and you can still make it a tough course.  Just look back to Merion in 2013, which played less than 7000 yds......everyone was afraid that the course was gonna get torched.  But there was not a single player under par, and the top 10 included folks like Billy Horschel, Jason Dufner, Luke Donald, Hunter Mahan and Steve Stricker.....none of whom cracked the top 40 in driving distance that year.

You'll never be able to do it. You put hazards in his landing zone, he'll just hit a long iron off the tee as far as Luke Donald hits driver, and then hit 3 clubs less into the green from the same spot. Like everything else in life, physical attributes matter a lot, and yet the majority of society goes bananas at trying to accept the concepts of simple biology and physics.

12.0 @ 11.25 Titleist 915D2 | Diamana M+ 50
16.5 @ 17.25 Titleist TSI2 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60

23.0 @ 22.25 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60
7H 29.0 @ 28.0 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 80HYB
6-P Titleist T100 | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue AM2
50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, 62.08M Titleist Vokey SM8 | Nippon 850GH
Scotty Cameron SS Newport 1.5
Taylormade TP5