2021 Pro V1 and Pro V1x

MattyO1984

I do like the new lineup line but I wish they would make the models more different from one another.

The V1 should be a spinny/soft ball and the V1x should be the low spin distance ball imo 

• Like 3

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

NLU 18* DI Ventus Black 10X
Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Vokey SM8 M 50*/Vokey SM4 S 56*/Vokey SM8 T 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35” 
Tour BX S

2 hours ago, kasting333 said:

I do like the new lineup line but I wish they would make the models more different from one another.

The V1 should be a spinny/soft ball and the V1x should be the low spin distance ball imo 

I think you need another look the LD is the ball you just asked for:

V1 - Mid spin Soft

AVX - Low(er) spin soft

V1X- High Spin Firm

V1XLD - Low(er) Spin Firm

Edited by 2bGood

1 hour ago, kasting333 said:

They have AVX and Left Dash as lower spin distance models.

Both ProV1 and ProV1x are spinny.

Soft is in the eye of the beholder (actually ear) but ProV1 is softer sounding than in the past. 

So they pretty much have your wishes covered, albeit with four versions instead of two. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Switching into the prov1x from Bridgestone XS.  On full shots I’m pretty happy with the feel. I’m missing the Bridgestone a little on chips and pitches but I’m getting used to it.  Performance has been good so no complaints there.  Really they’re pretty comparable so I suppose it does come down to feel.

One sleeve at a time, but so far I've been super impressed with the new V1x. Feel, ball flight, putter feel, and enhanced alignment, all great. Especially love the improved feel off the putter.

• Like 1

TaylorMade M5 / Callaway Mavrik 3W / Maltby KE4 FDI 19 / Callaway Mavrik Pro 3H / Maltby TS1 4-GW / Callaway MD2 56 / Odyssey Double Wide / Titleist Pro V1

53 minutes ago, c50sooner said:

One sleeve at a time, but so far I've been super impressed with the new V1x. Feel, ball flight, putter feel, and enhanced alignment, all great. Especially love the improved feel off the putter.

Same here. I have been playing the Left Dash for over a year now and still have 11 dozen from a stock up but the 2021 X does almost everything as well or better. Its not as long off the woods but better spin into greens and better feel. It seemed to fly higher off the irons and I am guessing that is from the extra spin. Not ready to switch but if I had to I wouldn't be sacrificing much.

5 hours ago, awtryau89 said:

Same here. I have been playing the Left Dash for over a year now and still have 11 dozen from a stock up but the 2021 X does almost everything as well or better. Its not as long off the woods but better spin into greens and better feel. It seemed to fly higher off the irons and I am guessing that is from the extra spin. Not ready to switch but if I had to I wouldn't be sacrificing much.

All things being equal, more spin makes balls launch lower. They’ve done something with the ball.

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

56 minutes ago, mktrout said:

Uhhh, no its the exact opposite of this

Uhhh, no it’s exactly that. As was said, all things being equal the higher the spin, the lower the initial launch, literally everywhere says/shows this.

the “they’ve done something with the ball” is very general. It’s a dimple pattern depth change 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Re*Ax said:

Uhhh, no it’s exactly that. As was said, all things being equal the higher the spin, the lower the initial launch, literally everywhere says/shows this.

the “they’ve done something with the ball” is very general. It’s a dimple pattern depth change 

I am not sure where this talk of a ball going lower if it spins less came from, but physics tells us this is not true. 

The Magnus Effect shows that back spin makes object rise (the more backswing the more they rise). 

Here is a good simple explanation:

12 minutes ago, 2bGood said:

I am not sure where this talk of a ball going lower if it spins less came from, but physics tells us this is not true. 

The Magnus Effect shows that back spin makes object rise (the more backswing the more they rise). 

Here is a good simple explanation:

I don’t need a good simple explanation.

read again...initial launch.

The greater the friction at impact, the greater the back spin, the lower the initial launch due to the increased friction. 

31 minutes ago, Re*Ax said:

I don’t need a good simple explanation.

read again...initial launch.

The greater the friction at impact, the greater the back spin, the lower the initial launch due to the increased friction. 

I guess I need a good simple explanation then. Can you point me to the information that says all thing being equal a ball with more spin will launch lower? I would like to learn more about this. 

Edited by 2bGood

3 hours ago, 2bGood said:

I guess I need a good simple explanation then. Can you point me to the information that says all thing being equal a ball with more spin will launch lower? I would like to learn more about this. 

It's just the way golf balls work when struck by a surface with positive loft. The angle of the surface does two things. It starts the ball in an upward direction (initial launch angle) and it imparts backspin. For a given angle and velocity of impact, some balls spin less and start more upward. Others spin more and start less upward.

It can't be "explained" without some math and physics but the explanation isn't important. It is what it is, as the saying goes.

2 hours ago, North Butte said:

It's just the way golf balls work when struck by a surface with positive loft. The angle of the surface does two things. It starts the ball in an upward direction (initial launch angle) and it imparts backspin. For a given angle and velocity of impact, some balls spin less and start more upward. Others spin more and start less upward.

It can't be "explained" without some math and physics but the explanation isn't important. It is what it is, as the saying goes.

I am not denying this happens, just interested in the details of why. I hold a degree in Physics (that I never used and took 20 years ago) so I have natural inclination to wanting to understand the specific these things.

Here is an interesting read on the topic - https://www.andrewricegolf.com/andrew-rice-golf/tag/launch+angles

I did a ball fitting with the northern regions Titleist ball fitter for the United Kingdom a few weeks ago & he mentioned that Titleist specifically developed this 2021 Pro V1x ball with Cameron Smith. He put it in play the week of the November Masters Tournament 2020 and saw instant benefits to his game for that 2nd place to DJ (with all 4 rounds in the 60's).

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 9* (turned down to 8.25*) Driver

Titleist TS2 13.5* Fairway

Titleist TS2 16.5* Fairway

Titleist 716 T-MB 3-4 irons

Titleist 660 5-9 irons

Vokey SM7 Tour Chrome 48* Wedge

Vokey SM Oil Can 54* & 60* Wedges

Scotty Cameron Tour Newport Putter

▒▓██ N █ U █ F █ C ██▓▒

Love this ball so much 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

Never been a ProV1 fan boy but the 2021 ProV1 is the best ball I've used in a while.  It reminds me of my all time favorite, the 2014ish B330S. 

For me the 2021 is long enough, spins the right amount off all clubs, and is really, really, good in the wind.  For me it has that extra gear on the wedges for short chips and pitches without being too spinny on full wedge shots.

Titleist got this one right.  

D - G410 LST - ADXC 6
5 Wood - Ping G400 - Ping Tour 85

7 Wood - Ping G410 - Ping Tour 65

4 - Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro H - Project X
5 - PW - MG CB 1008 - KBS Tour V 120
50 - Ping Anser - DG S400
55 - Vokey TVD K - DG S200
59 - NCW - DG S200

Lajosi Sensor WB SS - Stability Tour

7 hours ago, bam3352 said:

Never been a ProV1 fan boy but the 2021 ProV1 is the best ball I've used in a while.  It reminds me of my all time favorite, the 2014ish B330S. 

For me the 2021 is long enough, spins the right amount off all clubs, and is really, really, good in the wind.  For me it has that extra gear on the wedges for short chips and pitches without being too spinny on full wedge shots.

Titleist got this one right.  

That 2014 B330S was a very firm ball that made a loud bag off the driver. So "feel" wise I don't think the 2021 Pro V1 is like it at all.

But ball flight and spin wise I agree with you. Always liked the 2014 Bridgestones which I think have been the only non-Titleist balls I've played for more than a few weeks at a stretch. And I *really* like the 2021 Pro V1.

This is some very enticing comments.  Loved the B330s but have not liked the B Stone as much since then.    I am testing the Z Star now and like it much more than expected so really looking forward to more head to head with these two.

Ping G430 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6S
Ping G410  17.5* and 20.5* Tour stiff

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 
Ping I230 6-pw - Project X IO 6.0
Ping Glide 4.0 50/54/58 Project X IO 6.0
Ping Redwood Anser - Starshot Finish

Titleist Pro V1X

How many changes are they going to make every year until technology actually starts repeating itself to call it "new"? These are way more overpriced than they should be. The only reason people say they are so great is because they need to justify the insane price they paid.

How long until they're $75/dozen? $100?

Edited by SkrappyHacker1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, North Butte said:

Well it took about 20 years to increase from $40/dozen to $50/dozen. So a best guess would be they'll hit $75/dozen along about the year 2070 and $100/dozen some time in the early 22nd century.

Don't know about you but I'm not planning on being around by then.

Of course if you factor in inflation, those $40/dozen Pro V1's from the year 2000 would cost $63/dozen today. So they've actually gotten cheaper over the years in real terms.

But don't let that get in the way of a good rant. 

My point was, they are stupidly overpriced if you factor in what else is available and what performs just as well at a much cheaper cost.

16 hours ago, SkrappyHacker1 said:

How many changes are they going to make every year until technology actually starts repeating itself to call it "new"? These are way more overpriced than they should be. The only reason people say they are so great is because they need to justify the insane price they paid.

How long until they're $75/dozen? $100?

other than the dimples that changed for 2021, i'm sure technology has already repeated itself...the left dash X to me feels just like the 13X. 

Just now, elwhippy said:

New V1 feels awful. Too similar to an AVX. Haven't tried the V1X yet and don't have the speed to play a left dash. 

Left Dash isn't about speed. It's just lower spin off irons and full wedges than regular Pro V1x. And a good bit firmer/clickier. 

Edited by North Butte

1 hour ago, SkrappyHacker1 said:

My point was, they are stupidly overpriced if you factor in what else is available and what performs just as well at a much cheaper cost.

Fortunately we live in a time when even the cheapest of cheapskates can find durable, great performing golf balls at a price they can live with. 

• Haha 2