2021 Pro V1 and Pro V1x

MattyO1984

6 minutes ago, 1putt2win2 said:

yes 19X is my current ball and i'm down to my last dozen... i liked the 17V but not the 19V so that's when i switched to 19X. i'm curious if 21V is like 17V then i'll go back to V1 and do the 4 for 3 deal... or just stock up on 19X

I'm afraid to try 21V as I need both launch and spin.....tried 15x, 17x and 19x breaking in New putter...... 19X is like goldilocks;  not too firm, certainly not too soft......kinda done looking for balls....good luck!

• Like 1

For wind stability alone it's worth upgrading to the 21 models.  I wouldn't over think the ball choices.  Your game either needs a little more height and spin, and you prefer a firmer sounding ball, or you don't.  Choose accordingly.  

Among the players on the PGA Tour using a Titleist golf ball (which is the vast majority of players) it's like 60% x and 40% v.  Years ago it was like 90% x and 10% v.  So it goes to show how closely the balls perform now and you can't go wrong either way.  Also keep in mind that PGA Tour players are looking for a higher angle of descent to hold the very firm and fast greens they experience on tour, a condition that many amateurs don't experience.

Edited by jons1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

1 hour ago, jons1 said:

For wind stability alone it's worth upgrading to the 21 models.

100% agree. After testing the new Titleist and TM ‘21 balls I will say I’ve been really impressed with how they all can hold a better line with side and quarter wind shots. Past balls I’d sometimes need to play for a 3-5 yard movement from the wind - these new balls are more like 2-3 yards. Once I got used to this ball flight change I found myself shooting at more directly at pins/targets. 

• Like 1

Had my first round with the new Pro V1. Great in the wind, plenty of distance, and tons of spin around the green. Chips were stopping immediately. Softer feel too. Seems like the perfect ball.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

22 hours ago, jons1 said:

Among the players on the PGA Tour using a Titleist golf ball (which is the vast majority of players) it's like 60% x and 40% v.  Years ago it was like 90% x and 10% v.  So it goes to show how closely the balls perform now and you can't go wrong either way.  Also keep in mind that PGA Tour players are looking for a higher angle of descent to hold the very firm and fast greens they experience on tour, a condition that many amateurs don't experience.

Those stats are to be taken with a grain of salt. Plenty of players playing former model years and tour only models. 

10 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

Had my first round with the new Pro V1. Great in the wind, plenty of distance, and tons of spin around the green. Chips were stopping immediately. Softer feel too. Seems like the perfect ball.

There used to be a song with the line “close enough to perfect for me”. 

• Like 1

Headed on what looks to be a very wet guy trip this week late.  My 4 for 3 yellow pro v should be here tomorrow. Will get a lot of wet play this week 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

11 hours ago, 2bGood said:

Those stats are to be taken with a grain of salt. Plenty of players playing former model years and tour only models. 

that's fair to say, as well as tour only versions of golf balls.

But if you look at the current roster on the Titleist website, the number of players using the x vs v ball are pretty close to even, with the edge going to the x.  

----------------
Golf Jobs

spacer.png

26 minutes ago, jons1 said:

that's fair to say, as well as tour only versions of golf balls.

But if you look at the current roster on the Titleist website, the number of players using the x vs v ball are pretty close to even, with the edge going to the x.  

Correct. I would suspect the left dash account for good segment of the X numbers. 

It will be interesting to see if in future years, the bring the LD more mainstream as it present a really good option for some players (myself included).

12 hours ago, 2bGood said:

Where do they get them ?

Does Titleist keep a stash of thousands of dozens of each older model just for the pros that may want to keep using them ?

Surely Titleist doesn't keep making them, just in a much lower volume - or do they ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

18 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

Where do they get them ?

Does Titleist keep a stash of thousands of dozens of each older model just for the pros that may want to keep using them ?

Surely Titleist doesn't keep making them, just in a much lower volume - or do they ?

They still make them for Tour players I bet. No one wants old balls. 

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

34 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

Where do they get them ?

I don't have any special first hand knowledge, but yes apparently they do make sure to have a large stock of old models for PGA players that don't want to switch balls. It does not get talked about much, as it is not great marketing that players don't want to use the latest and greatest, but it does pop up from time to time in interviews etc.

Keep in mind they also supply several prototype versions as well, so they have a pretty good stock of 'special' balls. I assume they are producing them all, but I don't know. 

If you have a keen eye from time to time when you get an HD close up of a balls alignment aid you will see either old marking or the special markings prototype ball.

Edited by 2bGood

Titleist has only a few “tour only” balls. Much less than TaylorMade or Callaway. 

Google USGA approved ball list and check it out... it’s kind of a fun read. 

• Like 2

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

Just digging up some numbers, Titleist says that around 20% of players using one of their balls, opt for a tour only option. This was before the left dash going public, so likely less now??? 

The ones I have heard about:

Left Dot (V1)

Star (V1)

Left Dash (now not tour only) (V1X)

Tour Black (V1)

Tour Red (V1X)

19 hours ago, 2bGood said:

Correct. I would suspect the left dash account for good segment of the X numbers. 

It will be interesting to see if in future years, the bring the LD more mainstream as it present a really good option for some players (myself included).

Left Dash is actually not as popular on tour as most would think.  Titleist has said:

"Since its introduction, of all the different Titleist golf ball models played at PGA Tour events, an estimated 5% have been Pro V1x Left Dash"

Among players listed as ProV1x players, they may in fact be left dash players, but it's a small percentage.  As an example, if 150 guys are teeing it up in a PGA Tour event, around 80% are using Titliest golf balls (120).  Of that 80%, I would say around 60% (72) are using ProV1x, and among those 72 players, about 6 players have the left dash in play.

And yes, some players don't upgrade balls for several years.  With the improved wind stability in 21, I can't imagine too many guys will be holding onto old balls for long, as it's a major factor in ball performance versus past years where it's slight differences in feel and spin.  This year is a major upgrade.

Titleist R&D tries many designs before they decide on a final product to take to the general public.  Among those prototypes I'm sure some "Custom Performance Option" aka Tour Only golf balls are derived from that testing that provide ever so slightly different characteristics that could fine tune the performance for a tour level striker.  Is that ball actually better, no.  It's usually minor spin and feel differences, perhaps a window of flight the player is looking for, or a needed angle of descent to hold firmer greens.  They are essentially the same golf balls.

Edited by jons1
  • Like 1

----------------
Golf Jobs

spacer.png

For what it's worth, I've tested the 19 ProV1 against the 21 ProV1 around the greens and much prefer the 21.  I did a blind test where I had no idea which ball it was, using only two balls and hitting back to back identical shots.  I putted, chipped, pitched, flopped, and bounced the balls on the wedge to determine sound/cover feel.  I could instantly tell which one was which.  I'm a bit of a freak when it comes to things like this so it may not be noticeable to everyone, but the 21 was noticeably better in sound and feel IMO over the last generation.  So for around the greens, it's a giant YES for me.  Wind stability was really the only thing about the Titleist balls that fell short of competitors like TP5x, and this new ball greatly improves those areas.  The firmer casing layer with a softer cover to achieve better ball speeds AND feel was brilliant.

• Like 1

----------------
Golf Jobs

spacer.png

I absolutely love the new ProV1.   It checks all the boxes for me.   Last year I bounced back and forth between Prov1, V1x, and AVX.   To me this years ProV1 is like a combo of all 3 of them.   2nd round out with it on Sunday and finished the front 9 with 4 straight birdies.   

Started with a 35ft putt that played pretty straight. Then a 15ft putt with about 2ft of right to left down hill that was just center cup. Then a chip in that was sitting on the edge of the fringe/rough on a table top green.  The ball checked perfectly right at the top of the mound and then just trickled perfectly into the cup which was on the downslope.   Finally hit a gap wedge from 120 yards that checked back and stopped with about 3 feet of the hole for an easy putt.   Back nine wasn't as exciting but it was all me as I started struggling with ball striking and hitting a lot of shots towards the toe.  Still had a few looks at birdie, but just couldn't get anything to drop.  

Made it an easy decision to take advantage of the 3 and 1 deal.   

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym TD          9°   Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60

Callaway Paradym TD 3+     13.5°  Mitsubishi Kai'li White 70

Callaway Apex UW        19°   Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75

Callaway Apex TCB       4-AW  Project X

Callaway Jaws Raw      54°S ,60°Z True Temper DG Spinner 

Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide

Callaway Chrome Tour

FYI GG 4 for 3 comes in pre packaged boxes and they only had V1x, V1 and AVX. no yellow.  Asked if I could just buy 4 individual boxes and they said they had no way to ring that up correctly.  So sounds like you need white if you want to pick up in store.  

On 3/23/2021 at 9:37 AM, Minarets said:

FYI GG 4 for 3 comes in pre packaged boxes and they only had V1x, V1 and AVX. no yellow.  Asked if I could just buy 4 individual boxes and they said they had no way to ring that up correctly.  So sounds like you need white if you want to pick up in store.  

I happened to be in a Dick's Sporting Goods trying on shoes and I saw those pre-packaged boxes. It was incredible, like a bulk buy on some sort of household goods at Costco. The box is a cube with 16 sleeves of Pro V1 (or Pro V1x or AVX) stacked inside. It's not so much "four dozen" as a 48-pack of Titleist golf balls. What has the world come to.

By the way, I didn't see that they were enforcing the "one per household". Presumably you could load up on three or four of those 48-ball cubes at $149.99 each if you wanted. Goodness.

• Like 1

I've really been enjoying the new V1, so much so that I'm going to be playing it in my club champs this weekend.

I've been a staunch Srixon fan for a long time but their durability issues have pushed me to look elsewhere which is a real shame, still reckon they are the best wind ball out there... 

• Like 2

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

Been playing the new ProV1 the last two days in the RTJ courses down in Prattville, AL, in a steady wind with bad weather all around and it has totally impressed me holding it’s line.  I mean, I’m sure there is some wind resistance but I certainly can’t tell.  This will be my go to ball for sure. Glad I ordered the 4 for 3. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Minarets said:

Been playing the new ProV1 the last two days in the RTJ courses down in Prattville, AL, in a steady wind with bad weather all around and it has totally impressed me holding it’s line.  I mean, I’m sure there is some wind resistance but I certainly can’t tell.  This will be my go to ball for sure. Glad I ordered the 4 for 3. 

Great courses. Great ball. Used to live in Prattville. Stay safe out there right now. Some bad weather. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I keep hearing these feel softer and I don't know how much I like the sound of that. I'll be able to get out this weekend to test both balls finally. I prefer the Pro V1 for flight and spin for me but always preferred the Pro V1x feel, it just spins too much with full iron and wedge shots for me. Pro V1 was borderline too soft before so hopefully it's not noticeable for me otherwise I'll go back to the new TP5x which I have liked so far. 

Titleist TSR3 8 deg - Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

Titleist TSi3 15 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black 8X

Titleist TSR3 19 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist T200 4 - TT DG TI X100

Titleist T100 (2019) 5-PW - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 50.12 F - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 54.14 F - TT DG TI S400

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 58.08 M - TT DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1

22 minutes ago, HappyGilmore22 said:

I keep hearing these feel softer and I don't know how much I like the sound of that. I'll be able to get out this weekend to test both balls finally. I prefer the Pro V1 for flight and spin for me but always preferred the Pro V1x feel, it just spins too much with full iron and wedge shots for me. Pro V1 was borderline too soft before so hopefully it's not noticeable for me otherwise I'll go back to the new TP5x which I have liked so far. 

I always thought Pro V1 and Pro V1x sounded pretty similar coming off the club with the Pro V1x just a little louder on the driver and maybe a touch clickier on the irons (but not much).

With the 2021 models, Pro V1x sounds same as before and Pro V1 sounds quieter and lower pitched off every club in the bag. I think it is even quieter off the putter.

I generally don't care one way or another about sound/feel but have to say I really like the quiet Pro V1. Just something different I suppose. From your comments I'm thinking 2021 Pro V1 may be one you want to skip!

I have a Sim Max driver which isn't one of the loudest drivers out there. The combination of 2021 Pro V1 and Sim Max is strikingly muffled. I'm used to it but people I play with always seemed to think my tee shots often seem to be fooled by it.

I'll hit one solidly down the middle and they'll make a comment like, "That'll be OK" or "At least it's straight". Then it goes the usual distance and they seem puzzled by how it went so far. Like I say, I'm used to it now but it's very weird.

3 hours ago, HappyGilmore22 said:

Left dash, has similar flight characteristics as the pro v1 with a much firmer feel. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 2bGood said:

Left dash, has similar flight characteristics as the pro v1 with a much firmer feel. 

Left dash flew higher and felt firmer but was lower spin. Honestly hated the feel when testing that last year and my ss is 118-120 with high spin and flight. I played a round today hitting the new TP5x, Pro V1, and Pro V1x. New TP5x spins more around the greens and felt softer than the older version. Good upgrade but wasn't as good as Pro V1x. Really impressed with how good the Pro V1x flew in the wind. About 5 yards higher flight than V1 with higher spin with irons and wedges but flew a few yards farther than Pro V1. About 5 yards more off the tee as well. Kept reading on here about the wind and it's definitely true how well the V1x flies in it. Previous version of V1x with my high flight and spin just stopped dead in wind so took me to playing the V and Tp5x last 2 years. Pro V felt best off the putter and performed well but I really liked the Pro V1x surprisingly so ordered 4 dozen when I got home.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8 deg - Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

Titleist TSi3 15 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black 8X

Titleist TSR3 19 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist T200 4 - TT DG TI X100

Titleist T100 (2019) 5-PW - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 50.12 F - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 54.14 F - TT DG TI S400

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 58.08 M - TT DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1

Just an FYI.  I ordered the 4 for 3 deal on 3/18 with custom play numbers.   Got shipping notification today.  Pretty quick turnaround when they quote 5 weeks.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym TD          9°   Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60

Callaway Paradym TD 3+     13.5°  Mitsubishi Kai'li White 70

Callaway Apex UW        19°   Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75

Callaway Apex TCB       4-AW  Project X

Callaway Jaws Raw      54°S ,60°Z True Temper DG Spinner 

Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide

Callaway Chrome Tour