The Main Event: Augusta vs. Bryson “Badaboom” DeChambeau

With BD averaging 344, and another like 20 guys averaging 330 off the tee this year, I’d like to hear some learned golfwrxers opine on what the Masters can do to stop a potential bloodbath of Augusta National.

I am often very impressed by the very special knowledge many golfwrxers have on course design/layouts to the extent that many are so familiar with specific holes at Augusta and how they play.

So, I’m curious about if there are any dastardly tricks the guys who set the course up can use to “protect” the course in general and on specific holes.

I have certainly noticed that while big tee shots can make for a great advantage there, Augusta is a course of nuance where a wayward drive or two (cough, Rory ; ) cam turn a sure thing into a nightmare.

But, with no rough, what if anything can be done to discourage a total rocket launch from Bryson, Rory, DJ etc ?

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If Bryson wins, he needs to embrace the troll life... serve protein shakes at the champions dinner... I would become his biggest fan   -chris

Well, this is a rather dismal outlook you have there, G10   I suggest a dish of   Veal Saltimbocca asap to raise your spirits and take on things in general ; )      

I'm worried about the moist turf at Augusta.      Bryson's divot during a recent practice round.       

Posted Images

Still important to find fairways even with "no rough" - plenty of tricky spots.  Even more so on approaches to the greens where he ranks pretty poor in general - misses can be very punishing.  He's atrocious from 4 feet with the putter, so-so overall.  I'd say Augusta is ready for him.

Now, if he bombs it and finds fairways and makes mincemeat of the par 5s and putts well - anyone who finds that combo will win it.  

He should be in the mix, but I just don't see Augusta National as his personal playground - she's a canny old lass.

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 2

Greens at Augusta are pretty nutty. We see a lot of the same guys on the leaderboard year in and out. Historically It’s a 2nd shot course. Yes, much easier with a wedge in your hand. I’m not ready to concede the jacket to a guy with 7 iron length wedges. Next thing will be a pro with 2 drivers winning....ohh.  Not sure they need to change anything. 

• Like 1

Titleist TS3 9.5  HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5tx 
PXG Gen 2 Hybrid 17* HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5
Srixon Z 745 (4-pw) KBS tour-x
Mizuno T20 51* 54* 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
SC Studio Design no. 2
Pro V1

My butler is a member at ANGC.  He said they're anticipating a DeChambeau victory and have already made the jacket.  He tells me their biggest concern is if he'll still fit in a size 50/60 jacket by then or if he'll have bulked up to a 52/62.  They don't want to be humiliated by having him busting out of his jacket on national TV.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
8 minutes ago, Kilo1545 said:

My butler is a member at ANGC.  He said they're anticipating a DeChambeau victory and have already made the jacket.  He tells me their biggest concern is if he'll still fit in a size 50/60 jacket by then or if he'll have bulked up to a 52/62.  They don't want to be humiliated by having him busting out of his jacket on national TV.

Get your oven mitts ready before you try to handle this hot tip! #scorching 

3 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

With BD averaging 344, and another like 20 guys averaging 330 off the tee this year, I’d like to hear some learned golfwrxers opine on what the Masters can do to stop a potential bloodbath of Augusta National.

They get the greens stimping at 18 or 19 with tucked pins and those hole locations only on slopes. 

If it goes right, it's a slice. If it goes left, it's a hook. If it goes straight, it's a miracle.

39 minutes ago, Kilo1545 said:

Your butler is understandably provincial in his knowledge of the plethora of tailors servicing the needs of garish, bourgeois, athletes and this is actually a compliment to you. 

Augusta will simply contact the same tailor who fitted Arnold in a matter of days for that Exterminator film. “Moe” something, I believe. Works out of Beverly Hills as you can imagine.

22F3660E-4D1F-403D-B55A-FD0CA4C63C0A.jpeg

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 2
13 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Still important to find fairways even with "no rough" - plenty of tricky spots.  Even more so on approaches to the greens where he ranks pretty poor in general - misses can be very punishing.  He's atrocious from 4 feet with the putter, so-so overall.  I'd say Augusta is ready for him.

Now, if he bombs it and finds fairways and makes mincemeat of the par 5s and putts well - anyone who finds that combo will win it.  

He should be in the mix, but I just don't see Augusta National as his personal playground - she's a canny old lass.

Hate to do this but this shows how Augusta can eviscerate you. No rough but far worse to come contend with in some cases. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Kilo1545 said:

Does your butler have a cabin?

• Like 3
32 minutes ago, Dr. Block said:

image.png.93747e11e25252fc5cb4c69ccda3b21d.pngImpressive Bryson Dechambeau thread bscinstnct...very nice.  Now let’s see Paul Allen’s Bryson thread 

Ok, but first

728EB24A-01C8-43A8-A2BC-0680AF0715F3.jpeg

My wife’s cousin is exactly like PB, morning routine, whole thing. 

And I’m still amazed that Paul Allen is Jared Leto , lol

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Ok, but first

728EB24A-01C8-43A8-A2BC-0680AF0715F3.jpeg

My wife’s cousin is exactly like PB, morning routine, whole thing. 

And I’m still amazed that Paul Allen is Jared Leto , lol

Probably one of Leto’s more memorable performances. Almost as good as when he played the guy that got tuned-up in Fight Club. 

Edited by Dr. Block

I hope he wins and I think he’ll contend one of the next two Masters.

He thoroughly deserves his success and he moves the needle more than anyone else for me by far. And if he wins on the strength of his tee shots, we might finally see some long overdue action by ANGC or the ruling bodies. Win win. 

• Like 3

current swing coached by wrxers..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wgXZab7vI4

22 hours ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Paint a line 310 yards out in the fairway/rough and tell the players that if they break the plane of the line with their drive that they'll be asked to leave the AGN premises immediately 🙂

That leaves Bernhard Langer, Sandy Lyle and Luke Donald in a play-off then? 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff
Wilson Staff PMP wedges 50/54/58 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Radius Classic 8

For a major, Augusta National isn't terribly difficult of a course considering that the winner is close to or at double digits under par. 

As far as what they can do? Not much. As you said, there is no rough, and the greens already have shaved banks for the most part and are always  fast. 

Maybe lower the price of cheese pimento sandwiches?