Carts more popular than walking nowadays...used to be the other way 'round.

8 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Is that 2 hours walking as a single on an empty course, or two hours walking in a foursome on a crowded course? I can walk a solo nine on an empty course in 75 minutes with no problem.

2 hours solo empty walking with a pull cart. Of course I don't walk often, so maybe 3 times in the last 12 rounds.

I guess if I was trying I could do it quicker. But I am no trying to play speed golf. And even at my relaxed pace of shot taking, I am still faster with a cart. 

The cart also has 4 cup holders. 

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2020 at 11:44 AM, RoyalMustang said:

When did perceptions change? 

1921987369_ScreenShot2020-11-09at1_38_24PM.png.b773db77a41e5739e52ad5d1d933a32e.png

Mostly the change from walking to riding is due to course design architecture. 100 years ago courses were designed with tee boxes nearby the previous green

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

29 minutes ago, Naptime said:

Bags are getting heavier, especially if people bring phones, Bluetooth devices, beverages etc.

during the summer, i know i'm bringing water/gatorade/beer and some snacks...that's pushcart time.  during winter, i can carry much easier and don't care for pushing a cart when the course gets soggy.

I hate carts. I hate SUV's. I hate leaf blowers. Unnecessary for most. Completely about entitlement. I hope for a day at home without having to listen to someone operating a machine. I hope for an SUV not to make it difficult to get into my car at the supermarket. I hope that my round of golf doesn't sound like I'm on the freeway or at a disco.

Anyone who thinks we can save the planet is kidding themselves.

If walking is so problematic why not ride on one of these. 

Electric Golf Buggy, Motorised Golf Ride-ons & Battery Powered Walkers

They are cheaper and fit into the boot of a small car let alone a massive SUV. "But it doesn't stroke my ego."

Why do people in carts feel the need to sit behind every shot I play? My walking partners don't do this. Why do people in carts think I can't hear the cart sneaking up on me while I'm trying to play a shot?

I avoid having to play next to them if I can.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, freowho said:

I hate carts. I hate SUV's. I hate leaf blowers. Unnecessary for most. Completely about entitlement. I hope for a day at home without having to listen to someone operating a machine. I hope for an SUV not to make it difficult to get into my car at the supermarket. I hope that my round of golf doesn't sound like I'm on the freeway or at a disco.

Anyone who thinks we can save the planet is kidding themselves.

If walking is so problematic why not ride on one of these. 

Electric Golf Buggy, Motorised Golf Ride-ons & Battery Powered Walkers

They are cheaper and fit into the boot of a small car let alone a massive SUV. "But it doesn't stroke my ego."

Why do people in carts feel the need to sit behind every shot I play? My walking partners don't do this. Why do people in carts think I can't hear the cart sneaking up on me while I'm trying to play a shot?

I avoid having to play next to them if I can.

You be my hero !

Walking keeps the riff raff off the course

" this aint no party, this aint no disco , this aint no fooling around" David Byrne

Edited by miamistomp
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2020 at 6:21 AM, soregongolfer said:

Despite living under 2 hours away from Bandon Dunes, my golf partner has never played there and never will.  Why?  No carts.  He absolutely will not play without a cart.  Not even 9 holes.  

I have a dozen golf buddies JUST like that. It's annoying because they are missing out on some great, GREAT courses. Hence, I have missed out on a few because of their unwillingness to walk. 

• Like 1

On 11/10/2020 at 4:21 AM, soregongolfer said:

Despite living under 2 hours away from Bandon Dunes, my golf partner has never played there and never will.  Why?  No carts.  He absolutely will not play without a cart.  Not even 9 holes.  

I am a little more than 4 hours and was all excited to make the trip until I found out it was no carts. Guess not then, thanks. 🤣

I might end up playing there ifI am in the area, but there are also a lot of courses WITH carts, so there is that.

Haywood 3W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

9 hours ago, lefthack said:

I am a little more than 4 hours and was all excited to make the trip until I found out it was no carts. Guess not then, thanks. 🤣

I might end up playing there ifI am in the area, but there are also a lot of courses WITH carts, so there is that.

McDonald's has burgers.  Then there is that BBQ joint two towns away with amazing burgers.  Are you going to skip out completely on the BBQ joint because they don't have a drive-thru?  The reality is you're missing golf heaven by not going to Bandon.  Play there at least once.

• Like 1

Amazing how this varies from country to country. Playing in Portugal and Spain, where there are massive walks between tees I can see the benefit of a cart. But carts are still seen as something for senior (over 70) golfers in the UK and Ireland. We have courses in our area where a cart is unusable due to elevation changes. I realise in very high temperatures a cart offers some protection and allows injured or infirm players the opportunity keep enjoying the game but walking and carrying is still the norm at my club. 4 carts for 750 members says it all. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, soregongolfer said:

McDonald's has burgers.  Then there is that BBQ joint two towns away with amazing burgers.  Are you going to skip out completely on the BBQ joint because they don't have a drive-thru?  The reality is you're missing golf heaven by not going to Bandon.  Play there at least once.

If the walk up counter is 7k yards, maybe. And if the drive thru at McDonald's is more than 4 cars deep, I can get a crappy burger elsewhere.

Not saying Bandon doesn't look nice, but it's far from the only nice course within 4 hours drive. And I imagine a series of foursomes all walking in front of me will hinder my usual pace of play.

So if/when I do go, I will be as close to first out as possible.

<Edit> I usually play solo or with my wife. 2 in a cart is considerably faster than 4 walking. Always.

Edited by lefthack

Haywood 3W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

14 minutes ago, lefthack said:

Not saying Bandon doesn't look nice, but it's far from the only nice course within 4 hours drive. And I imagine a series of foursomes all walking in front of me will hinder my usual pace of play

Let me get this straight.  Pace of play is so important that you are going to rush around Bandon so you get done in 3:15? 

13 minutes ago, david.c.w said:

Let me get this straight.  Pace of play is so important that you are going to rush around Bandon so you get done in 3:15? 

I didn't say I would rush. But yes, I do other things in a given day than a round of golf. That's why I usually only play 9 rather than 18.

I just like to take my shot when I am ready to take my shot. Not stand 2 groups deep at the tee box waiting to start my round. And also not have a place to sit.

You know carts have a seat in them that can be very handy. Wasn't sure if you were aware since you are the walking type.

Again, having not played Bandon, maybe the pace and spacing makes the walk worth while. But if a cart is good enough for the President, it's good enough for me.

<Edit> I am fit, but have lower back issues. Standing for 4 hours is not enjoyable for me, so there is that as well.

I don't need to walk. But I am not a fan of standing. 

Edited by lefthack

Haywood 3W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Bandon is not set up for a "quick 9 holes" followed by a little yard work.    Bandon is set up for a 4 day weekend with 36 holes per day of golf followed by big slabs of beef, cigars and scotch.  It seems you are simply not interested in the destination style course (Bandon, Sand Valley, Streamsong), and has nothing to do with walking or riding.

I am not arguing for or against carts.  Last Sunday we walked, but my fat rear end will likely be in a cart this afternoon.  Both have their merits.

Edited by david.c.w
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, david.c.w said:

Bandon is not set up for a "quick 9 holes" followed by a little yard work.    Bandon is set up for a 4 day weekend with 36 holes per day of golf followed by big slabs of beef, cigars and scotch.  It seems you are simply not interested in the destination style course (Bandon, Sand Valley, Streamsong), and has nothing to do with walking or riding.

I am not arguing for or against carts.  Last Sunday we walked, but my fat Word not allowed will likely be in a cart this afternoon.  Both have their merits.

Then is sounds like I won't be playing Bandon. 

I play golf because I enjoy trying to get a little ball in a hole from yardage. Golf is a game to me. I enjoy it and am pretty good at it. But nothing in my life revolves around golf.

If golf happens to be where I am, I might play. But never in my life has golf been a destination. Maybe I am missing the point to it. I played golf in Guam, but it wasn't why I went there.

Haywood 3W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

• 2 weeks later...

As many have said here, walking in the US is kind of tough on lots of courses.  I walk my course 80 percent of the time (not in the summer months when it gets above 95) and it’s a bear because there is so much distance green to tee.  You have to really want to walk to walk my course because of the design.  But I do it for the exercise.  I am getting ready to retire and am heading from NC to OR, and unfortunately, the course I am joining is close to un walkable for the most part due to the green to tee distance and hills (pros don’t want the course to slow down), but the views are spectacular, so there is a nice trade off.  Also, enough hiking to make up for not walking, but I will definitely miss it.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond
PXG 0211 (15)

PXG 0211 (19)
PXG Gen 6 0311P 5-AW
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54, 58
Seemore Mini Giant DF

A little late but oh well. I’m part of the younger crowd (18) and do both. I prefer walking (carrying and pushcart) and can walk most 18 holes easily. I’ve played a fair share of courses and I could easily walk most of them twice a day. But I have friends who can walk but would prefer a cart. It’s really preference, depending on what you get from golf. Chilling with friends and hanging out = cart; Wanting to perform well = walking. There are outliers due to age and physical condition. So, why are carts more common in the U.S., because of how bosses are designed, they generate profit, and are seen as convenient. I thought I should give my perspective from a younger view. 

On 11/10/2020 at 8:13 AM, pktaske said:

I notice that the slowest of the slow are all the newbie golfers who decide to walk. No cart+no working knowledge of course mechanics. Recipie for 5+ hour rounds. Hopefully they learn quickly.

I see the opposite.  Newbies parking their carts far from the green, groups not realizing who should take the cart where, backtracking, etc.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

1 hour ago, brew4eagle said:

I see the opposite.  Newbies parking their carts far from the green, groups not realizing who should take the cart where, backtracking, etc.

Yeah....but they are on a cart so they can make up for their mistakes to a point. Aimless walkers who are afraid to go past the nearest ball until its hit or the ones that go after everyone's lost ball (these are the worst).

I will say that after more serious consideration, carts or walking are secondary to slow play.  Its bad golfers who don't pick up and 7 minute tee times.