2020 US Women's Open

18majors

5 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

It's this extreme mentality that drives these women to succeed which I think is the reason why the LPGA is dominated by so many Korean born women. 

You forgot to mention that in South Korea sound fundamental golf technique is taught and learned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

Today's champion birdied her final three holes, which is wanting it and taking it. Good for her !

• Like 4

12 hours ago, new2g0lf said:

It's a mindset issue imo, golf is likely more important to Korean females than it is to American females.  They appear to train and practice more.  Korean men may be just as committed to golf as the women in their country but the competition from the men on the PGA Tour is tougher so it's not as easy for them to dominate.  

I think we'll see Americans have more success on the LPGA Tour in the next 5-10 years, as golf in this country appears to be doing a better job involving children in golf, especially girls.  

Is golf as expensive in Korea as it is in America? The cost of golf is still prohibitive to most young boys and girls. It is even hard to find golf equipment for girls. 

Married to Callaway Clubs but I cheat with Nike Clubs on occasion.

8 hours ago, agolf1 said:

I think the bet was she needed to hold Rolex Top 15 by the Olympic fixing date?  So in good shape but could still go either way.  Unfortunately, Ai Suzuki has fallen down the rankings a bit.  Going to need a hot start to 2021 for Japan to send three players to the games.

Regardless, I would suggest you add an extra $100 to your charity of choice.  Or, we can invest it in Stooch's offshore gambling account.  A year or two of compounding and maybe we can sponsor a new "6th major."

Anyways, it is fun to have some competitions within the chats from time to time.  I would definitely lose more than I win over an extended period...

Actually, our good friend and an international bigwig @Stooch may know an easy way for international money transfer,

@Stooch, can you help, please?

3 hours ago, Tailgater said:

Is golf as expensive in Korea as it is in America? The cost of golf is still prohibitive to most young boys and girls. It is even hard to find golf equipment for girls. 

My understanding is that golf is expensive in Korea, but not terribly so. Simulator golf is very popular, so young players can work on their swings without having to invest a lot of time walking a course. Televised tournaments are held indoors. Many young players will spend years perfecting their swings indoors before ever setting foot on a golf course. 

As I've noted in numerous other threads, the KLPGA and its two feeder tours provides a great pathway for young players to hone their professional game. 

Check out: Korean Golf

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 3

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

11 hours ago, ThinkingPlus said:

There was speculation that Amy was between clubs on 16 and hit the longer one.  Did you hear any confirmation?

In her post round interview Amy stated she had earlier carried a 5-iron shot 162 and the tee shot at 16 needed a 172 carry. So, she tried to hit a "cut 4 hybrid", which she claimed to have struck well but that it likely got a bad bounce which sent the ball over the green into an unfortunate lie.

Personally I think the mistake she made was trying to carry the ball a long way with a lob wedge for her second shot. Considering the bad lie, she  might have had better success playing a lower lofted club to bounce and roll to the hole.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Tailgater said:

Golf equipment for kids is much less expensive than for adults and are gender neutral.  US Kids Golf produces sets for kids and individual clubs, irons are $39 and woods are $45-$49, at younger ages you don't need to buy them 14 clubs, most only use odd or even irons.  It's a tight knit community so they tend to pass on equipment to younger players once their children outgrow it.  

I do not have any insight as to the cost of golf in Korea but I know organizations like PGA Jr, US Kids Golf, First Tee and others are doing a great job in the US getting kids involved with golf, especially girls.  

Edited by new2g0lf

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

After watching AL Kim's interview I went back and watched Se Ri Pak's Open win at age 20. Yes - that wonderful shot out of the water with her up to her shins in the lake. And the look of sheer ecstasy on her face as she held up the trophy. I don't mind admitting it brought tears to my eyes. THAT was truly what women's golf is all about - or just golf, period!

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

In her post round interview Amy stated she had earlier carried a 5-iron shot 162 and the tee shot at 16 needed a 172 carry. So, she tried to hit a "cut 4 hybrid", which she claimed to have struck well but that it likely got a bad bounce which sent the ball over the green into an unfortunate lie.

Personally I think the mistake she made was trying to carry the ball a long way with a lob wedge for her second shot. Considering the bad lie, she  might have had better success playing a lower lofted club to bounce and roll to the hole.

It was a really bad lie.  The ball appeared to be sitting down between tufts of dormant bermuda.  Contact was going to be dodgy with any wedge-like club (she played the shot well, but distance control was near impossible).  She might have tried a hybrid or even hit sharply down on the ball with a putter and bounce it on as you said.  Tough to get the distance right regardless.

• Like 2

On 12/13/2020 at 11:33 PM, grm24 said:

No reason Paige should be the lead tv analyst for an LPGA major. Or even a regular LPGA tour event. Especially given that Judy Rankin is part of this telecast.

Paige's career on the LPGA Tour to be kind was not very good. Two top 10 finishes in over 125+ career LPGA starts with a best finish of T8. How can she give an honest analysis on what the leaders will be feeling/thinking/going through emotionally and physically on the back 9 during the final round when she has never been there/contended for a win as a professional herself?

While Judy Rankin did not win a major she is many light years ahead of Paige when it comes to describing anything about professional golf on the LPGA. Judy did win both the Dinah Shore and Peter Jackson/duMaurier when they were not "considered" majors.

Judy has seen, covered and commented on everything in womens golf. Pro and amateur. Paige not so much.

Brandel Chambree is an analyst on GC and he sucked as a player and as an analyst IMHO.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Tough to get the distance right regardless.

Yes, no matter which club she chose that was going to be a tough up and down from that lie.

Jim Mackay was following her group and 2 or 3 different times he said he was curious about her 16th hole tee box club selection. I don't remember

her actions on that tee and, or, if she deliberated much about the club to hit. In hindsight, though, it seems like a miss short in the bunker may have been an easier up and down than from behind the green.

• Like 2

Golf is expensive in Korea. There are about 500 courses and it costs a minimum of about US$150 on a weekday, including shared fees for a mandatory caddie. Could be US$250 on a weekend.

Multi-tier driving ranges usually charge per hour. The atmosphere is very different than in the west. Lots of amenities, food, drinks, clean, a golf school and/or teachers available. Driving range cost is reasonable. It varies, but let's say about $20-$25 per hour. Costs you more to go to a Top Golf, which is way less appealing than a Korean range.

I've spent time there teaching golf instructors at seminars, particularly KLPGA teachers, and they're far more interested in learning new technology, new methods, learning from new research, etc., than in the US. They're very serious about their work, but that is true across most of Asia in all fields.

Golf instruction in the US kind of splits down two paths. Some teachers teach the same things they learned the first 6 months in the business 20 years ago and call that 20 years experience, or they find some little thing that works in their swing and teach that to every student for a couple of weeks as if it's the secret of golf. Of course there are some great and serious teachers in the US, but they are the exception and not the rule.

(Naturally, all of the teachers on GolfWRX are part of the good group! 🙂 )

Korean teachers are very open to learn.

There is (was) a school for Korean high school kids in Florida, where they live, go to school and are taught golf by Korean instructors. It's like a golf/high school camp. Playing is important, not just beating balls, and it's cheaper to play in the US.

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

There were seven players that shot 80 or worse yesterday. That's a rough day at the office. 

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Awesome finish and win.  3 straight birdies is beyond impressive.

Disappointed in some of the players B******* about conditions and how the players were "showcased." First, this is the US Open, not a casual round at Captain Carl's Mini-golf. If you want the same level of attention, you should play in the conditions as presented. It's extremely rare that a USGA event is ball in hand and I don't think it deteriorated from the viewer experience at all.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

There were seven players that shot 80 or worse yesterday. That's a rough day at the office. 

Yea, it included Yealimi Noh.

She'll either bounce back with a 63 at CME or slumping further with another 80.  It won't matter since it's a no cut event.

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Fairway14 said:

Today's champion birdied her final three holes, which is wanting it and taking it. Good for her !

Got to sit and basically watch the whole thing since I'm lucky enough to have job and WFH.

Felt bad for Olson but, wow, yeah, hard to not say what a finish, you earned it.  I mean, if this was a more publicized tourney and not sort of a pandemic altered thing, I think that approach shot into the 18th would go down in women's golf history.   The whole finish would.  And not a single one of those holes was really a birdie hole.

4 hours ago, 18majors said:

Actually, our good friend and an international bigwig @Stooch may know an easy way for international money transfer,

@Stooch, can you help, please?

I don't have a good answer for you, as it relates to gambling sites (which most of International transactions) I use a 3rd party that I had to get vetted for and they can withdraw the money directly from my bank account.  I have a credit limit with the 3rd party company that will fund any site I use immediately and the 3rd party takes the money out of my bank account a couple of days latter.

If you both have PayPal, I think you transfer Internationally with that service.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stooch said:

I don't have a good answer for you, as it relates to gambling sites (which most of International transactions) I use a 3rd party that I had to get vetted for and they can withdraw the money directly from my bank account.  I have a credit limit with the 3rd party company that will fund any site I use immediately and the 3rd party takes the money out of my bank account a couple of days latter.

If you both have PayPal, I think you transfer Internationally with that service.

Thanks a lot, PayPal is a great answer; I know you won't disappoint us.

For your information,  @agolf1.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavePelz4 said:

Awesome finish and win.  3 straight birdies is beyond impressive.

Disappointed in some of the players B******* about conditions and how the players were "showcased." First, this is the US Open, not a casual round at Captain Carl's Mini-golf. If you want the same level of attention, you should play in the conditions as presented. It's extremely rare that a USGA event is ball in hand and I don't think it deteriorated from the viewer experience at all.

I don't get the LPGA players expectations to be "showcased", as though it's the responsibility of the USGA / Tournament directors to make them look better than they are.  

I think it's a marketing mistake for the LPGA to compare itself to the PGA Tour, their games aren't comparable, not distance wise or short game.  The PGA Tour players perform at levels most could only dream of where as many top male amateurs can probably out distance and outplay a good portion of the LPGA Tour from the same tees.  I'll never hit a golf ball off the tee 300 yards, or a 5i 200+ yards so when I watch the PGA Tour, I view it as these guys represent the best of what is humanly possible.  The LPGA Tour represents for 80% of the playing public a much more realistic view of how good many of them could be with a higher level of instruction, practice and dedication.  

• Like 1

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

2 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

Golf is expensive in Korea. There are about 500 courses and it costs a minimum of about US$150 on a weekday, including shared fees for a mandatory caddie. Could be US$250 on a weekend.

Multi-tier driving ranges usually charge per hour. The atmosphere is very different than in the west. Lots of amenities, food, drinks, clean, a golf school and/or teachers available. Driving range cost is reasonable. It varies, but let's say about $20-$25 per hour. Costs you more to go to a Top Golf, which is way less appealing than a Korean range.

I've spent time there teaching golf instructors at seminars, particularly KLPGA teachers, and they're far more interested in learning new technology, new methods, learning from new research, etc., than in the US. They're very serious about their work, but that is true across most of Asia in all fields.

Golf instruction in the US kind of splits down two paths. Some teachers teach the same things they learned the first 6 months in the business 20 years ago and call that 20 years experience, or they find some little thing that works in their swing and teach that to every student for a couple of weeks as if it's the secret of golf. Of course there are some great and serious teachers in the US, but they are the exception and not the rule.

There is (was) a school for Korean high school kids in Florida, where they live, go to school and are taught golf by Korean instructors. It's like a golf/high school camp. Playing is important, not just beating balls, and it's cheaper to play in the US.

Makes a lot of sense.

TaylorMade SIM 2 MAX Ventus Black Velocore
Ping G400 2 Hybrid Tour AD DI
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Irons
Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

4 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

But why the huge dichotomy between women and men?  Is it just because a lot of athletically talented women in Korea take up golf and try to make a career out of it vs. the U.S. where they go to other sports?   Moreso than with men in the U.S.?    

Edited by chigolfer1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fanofseri said:

Dr. Won Park, one of Korea's foremost golf instructors and In Gee's teacher was once interviewed by Dr. Tom Ferraro, a sports psychologist about instructing young golfers.

https://longislandtennismagazine.com/article4716/dr-tom-secret-making-prodigy

Following is a quotation from Dr. Park "... you start the girls at a young age and expect to see a total commitment to golf by the age of 12. We assume they will work extremely hard, seven days a week. The parents are devoted to the child’s career and give their last penny to them. This kind of support lasts for about 10 years. They typically turn pro by the age of 18 and are expected to win or suffer great shame and guilt."

That's how you build a champion able to birdie the final three holes under extreme conditions in the only tournament that matters.  

Umm, I suppose, also sounds a little Soviet Union haha.

But, I wonder, is this type of program not set up the same way with Korean boys?