Callaway Apex and Apex Pro 21

Lefty87

On 2/25/2021 at 11:13 AM, Net5 said:

TJ7644, thanks for sharing your comments and experience.

brettmag, were those MMT shafts available to test as a part of a fitting or did you order them based on something else?  Did you compare them to the stock Recoil Dart shaft or any other graphite shafts? 

I'm approaching my mid fifties and haven't bought a new set of irons in a long time.  Trying to do some homework and see what others are learning between Apex/Apex Pro and steel/graphite so I'm not disappointed with my choices in a couple of years.  I've got at least another month or more before the weather is going to allow for knocking some rust off and a fitting. 

Thanks to everyone posting their experiences here.  What a great community and resource.

Hi, I was able to demo the MMT 95 S in my fitting and liked it. Honestly the results were very comparable to the stock steel shafts but these felt better and looked better. I didn't consider the recoil but my dad did and he preferred the MMT 85 regular flex shafts in the Apex. It was easy to eliminate the recoil for him.

Taylormade SIM2 Max 10.5 with HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX

Taylormade SIM2 Max 3 HL (16.5) with stock Ventus Blue 6S

Haywood Signature Driving Iron 18 with MMT 90S

Apex 4-5 with MMT 95S

Apex Pro 6-PW with MMT 95S

Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 58 degree wedges

Odyssey putter

6 hours ago, gremlin said:

Just placed my order for a set of these. Going to be a tough 3 to 4 weeks waiting for them.  

I ordered a set 2 weeks ago, the site had them coming 4 weeks out, and they were just delivered last night.  Seems they are definitely padding estimates right now, so hopefully you will experience the same. One tip, I did call customer service to check on each of the components and changed my grip preference up as that was the only piece they didn’t have in stock currently.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cubuffs said:

I ordered a set 2 weeks ago, the site had them coming 4 weeks out, and they were just delivered last night.  Seems they are definitely padding estimates right now, so hopefully you will experience the same. One tip, I did call customer service to check on each of the components and changed my grip preference up as that was the only piece they didn’t have in stock currently.

Good tip to make sure a custom change might be backlogged.  The customer service folks there are great that I've spoken to on the phone.   Good luck with the new sticks 🙂 

• Like 2

I put an order in several weeks ago knowing full well that getting all amped up on watching the delivery date would drive me crazy.  Well, to my surprise, when I went to my lesson last week my instructor (who didn't fit me - I use someone else) had my exact specs in a demo 7iron so we did all my instruction with an exact version of my future Apex Pro 7iron in my hands. 

Gotta say the teaser experience of having the club in my hand didn't make it any easier leaving the lesson and waiting patiently.

12 hours ago, cubuffs said:

If they show up early I’ll be thrilled. I might give them a call next week to see if anything is back ordered. Was your order standard or anything? Mine is 1.5 flat. I wonder if custom stuff holders them up?

32 minutes ago, gremlin said:

If they show up early I’ll be thrilled. I might give them a call next week to see if anything is back ordered. Was your order standard or anything? Mine is 1.5 flat. I wonder if custom stuff holders them up?

Nothing standard - KBS Tour V + 1.75” with golf pride grips.  

• Like 1

Mine took about two weeks ordered in Feb 

Titleist TSR4 Graphite Design Tour AD GP-6X

Titleist TSi3 15 Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 75X   

Callaway Apex UW 19 Project X HZRDUS RDX 80 6.5

Srixon ZX7 4-PW Project X LS 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM9 50.12F True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.12D True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 60.04T True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport+

23 minutes ago, gremlin said:

So my order shows backordered. But it doesn’t specify if it’s the heads, grips or shafts. Should I call to see what it is, like if it’s the grips I could just choose another option. What have you guys done? 

I did just, called and checked if the shaft and grips were available.  It changes quite frequently, but my initial choice, tour velvet midsize, were out of stock so I went with the new decade midsize grip which cleared up the issue.

Unfortunately, I have now done that twice as the first set delivered on Friday, the shafts were not hard stepped so I sent them back and have another set on order. Told they would expedite and that it should take about a week and a half to two weeks total.

There was an error on my first order, clubs came, wrong heads (not callaway’s fault, accidents happen).  A new order was made last week and they partially arrived today.  Apex Pro 21, 1/2” long, 1 flat, 1 weak, tour issue s400, black/white z grip - 3 wraps - logo down.  4-6 iron came today, 7-PW back ordered. No expected date known.  Both boxes I’ve received came direct from Mexico, basically overnighted.  Hoping the others arrive soon. 

2DE5318A-AA03-4704-9417-581D2715CA34.jpeg

• Like 2

I'm so glad i found this thread. Ordered my Apex combo 3-pw set on Friday night and it's saying backordered and  6 weeks out. I also chose the Golf pride velvet midsize. Going to call customer service and make the switch. My league starts in three weeks an would like to hit them prior to that. Thanks for the help.

23 hours ago, BeLikeTY1333 said:

I'm so glad i found this thread. Ordered my Apex combo 3-pw set on Friday night and it's saying backordered and  6 weeks out. I also chose the Golf pride velvet midsize. Going to call customer service and make the switch. My league starts in three weeks an would like to hit them prior to that. Thanks for the help.

FYI, I ordered standard Apex 5-6 irons only (want to test the heads and PX IO 6.0 shaft to potentially combo with the X Forged CB or Apex TCB.)

To expedite I just went with the stock Callaway grip figuring I can change to what I want. Ordered them last Saturday and they’ve already been delivered from Mexico — 3 business days. 

Edited by dmeeksDC

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Ordered my Apex21 5-AW with loft adjustment, golf pride grips and catalyst shafts on March 1st. Shipped on March 3rd. 

Did an exchange with the Apex21 DCBs that I ordered on February 1st. They have a 30 refund policy for credit if you have used them. It was super easy and simple and the guy that helped me order my new Apex21's was super knowledgeable. I should get them by tomorrow (Friday) just in time for my Sat and Sun round. So stoked about the speedy process. 

The DCB's were just a little too clunky for my liking. I'm an 8 cap and wanted to increase my forgiveness but the decrease in feel just shot my confidence. Hoping that the Apex21's will be a slight upgrade from the Apex19's that I traded in for the DCBs. I really loved those Apex19's but I bought them used off of the callawaypreowned site and the lofts were all jacked up and once i measured them I just couldn't get past how strong they were (3-4 degrees strong!) My 5i was 5 degrees strong. I'll never buy preowned again. 

• Like 1

My Pro Combo set arrived today, about 3 weeks from order. Not bad in these times and checking them out they are spot on SW and length, I don't have a Loft / lie machine but it is encouraging they hit the SW being .50" over standard with midsize grips.

This is actually the 1st set of many many sets of Callaway clubs going back to the 2007 X tour I have bought that were right the 1st time, I am pleasantly surprised and will test drive them tomorrow.

Edited by Jim53

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX Pro / CB  4-11 PX IO 5.5 

Callaway full toe 54* PX IO  6.5

Callaway full toe 58* PX IO 6.5

SLED # 1  35.5

1st round with the Pro Combo yesterday and they are very nice with the Nippon 950 neo shaft, the launch was good and even with the longer irons I saw excellent height and distance. They are a full club or more longer than the gen 3 0311T but that was expected with the stronger lofts. 

For an older golfer that likes a players type head these look to be about perfect for what I need, the 4 iron is being considered now with how well the 5 iron launched. 

SLED # 1  35.5

Two days of testing the standard Apex 5 and 6 irons this weekend. I am pretty impressed with the club and also the Project X IO shaft (6.0). These clubs are seriously powerful. One thing for sure is they sound just fine outside. They’re explosive and while they don’t feel like a true forged club, I like the feel. The ball feels good off the face and they are long. It’s a lively thwack but not harsh. 

Indeed, and this is good news really, the only issue on Day 1 was I thought they were landing and running out just a bit more than I want in a 5 and 6 iron, but it was solved today. Stopped in my buddy’s shop and had the lofts weakened 1.5 degrees and it’s perfect.

For anyone looking for feedback on the PX IO shaft, it is certainly friendlier than the 6.0 Rifle, and I also liked it more than PXI. It is a Project X shaft in that the flight is strong and it’s stable, but not as stout as Rifles, in which I play a 5.5 flex. 

I hit shot after towering shot that went straight and fell either slightly left or right. You can work them. The sole is not too wide, has nice camber. IMO this release feels the best of the standard Apex head series. I  need to decide what I will combo them with. Could be XForged CB or Apex TCB. I compared the standard Apex with the XFCB and I think it will work. The Apex TCB is possible too, I’ve not held it in hand. May give the Apex Pro a spin too — they look great — but I have hit the XFCB twice and so far those are more my preference. 

Also, in another thread there was a question as to whether these are parallel or taper shafts. I ordered both as individual clubs so I could design my own combo. The info on the box says they have taper tip shafts. 

Edited by dmeeksDC
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Kyle M said:

I am going for an iron fitting this week to see if something out there can kick my MP-64's out of the bag.  I am really interested in the Apex Pro21 and the X-Forged CB.  Has anyone done a head to head with these?  

Figured I would give my take as I used to play MP-64s, and I have a set of Pros on order and my son has played the XFCB since they were released in November.  I think it depends on what you are looking for - if you are wanting to keep some of similar feel/profile I think the XFCB will be a much easier transition than the Pros.  When I have hit his set, it seems like the XFCB has good (although not quite MP level) feel, consistent spin numbers, and are longer than what we were first thinking (we are both coming from P790s).  The Pros from my demo and fitting seemed to be bit longer, launched higher with the same shaft, and because they are hollow have a distinct feel and sound - they feel good and solid, but not on the same level as the XFCB.  For a father in his mid 40's trying to keep up with my son, I welcome a bit of new technology in a very sleek players package.  

Edited by cubuffs

49 minutes ago, cubuffs said:

Figured I would give my take as I used to play MP-64s, and I have a set of Pros on order and my son has played the XFCB since they were released in November.  I think it depends on what you are looking for - if you are wanting to keep some of similar feel/profile I think the XFCB will be a much easier transition than the Pros.  When I have hit his set, it seems like the XFCB has good (although not quite MP level) feel, consistent spin numbers, and are longer than what we were first thinking (we are both coming from P790s).  The Pros from my demo and fitting seemed to be bit longer, launched higher with the same shaft, and because they are hollow have a distinct feel and sound - they feel good and solid, but not on the same level as the XFCB.  For a father in his mid 40's trying to keep up with my son, I welcome a bit of new technology in a very sleek players package.  

I think we are basically in the same spot.  Mid 40's myself with a 16 year old son.  What I need is a bit more consistency in the 3-4-5 irons.  As you are aware the MP-64 is basically a MB (I replaced a set of MP-67's with the 64's 8 years ago and I think they are basically the same iron) and can be punishing on slight mishits.  I wish it was possible to demo the long irons of each but that seems to be a pipe dream.  So, I will have to compare numbers from the 7 irons and see what happens.  Thanks for the insight.

2 rounds on the Pro combo set and I am thinking of ordering the 4 iron to add to my 5-AW, being 62 and slowing down I ordered them 1.5* up, 1* strong and .50" over standard and so far I am seeing drop and stop even up to the 6 iron and getting 180+ out of it off the dirt. The 5 iron is kind of nuts with a couple off the deck where I was  I laying up on Par 5's and hit it over 200 yds with some roll. That is very good distance for me, sure they are strong lofts but they stop and fly very high with the 950 Neo reg shafts. 

It is going to take a few more rounds to get used to the distances compared to the 0311T I was playing,  I sailed 4 greens yesterday but that actually made me smile. The ease of hitting the APEX is just silly, very forgiving across the face.

• Thanks 1

SLED # 1  35.5

23 hours ago, Kyle M said:

I am going for an iron fitting this week to see if something out there can kick my MP-64's out of the bag.  I am really interested in the Apex Pro21 and the X-Forged CB.  Has anyone done a head to head with these?  

I went into my iron fitting w/ the Apex Pros at the top of my list and ended up walking out with the XFCBs. The XFCB are super soft feeling, not sure about the MP-64s but they were definitely comparable w/ the MMCs or 921 Tours. I found them to be far more forgiving than I was expecting them to be, even in the 4 and 5 iron. The Apex Pros look really great but I was getting less spin (something I could always use more of) and the feel/sound was nowhere close to the XFCB or a bunch of the other irons I hit (P7MC, ZX7 etc). All depends on what you're looking for.

• Like 1

D - TSR3 | Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W - Stealth+ | Ventus Blue 7X

5W - TSR2 | AD DI 8X

4H - TSR2 | AD DI 9X

5-PW - MP-223 | PX LZ 6.5

50/55/60 - MG4 | DG TI S400

P - Studio Stainless NP2 350g

B - ProV1x

B - Linksmaster

Hi Calloway guys, I been playing Titleist T100 for the last year and my iron play has suffered because of it, mid 50’s, lost some swing speed and I’m just not as good a ball striker anymore. I’m looking at buying the Apex/DCB blend set. W-7 in Apex 6-5 in DCB. I really like the look and I’m torn between these and the P790. I’m looking for more forgiveness and consistency. I’m not a fan of the T200. What can you guys tell me from your experience?  Thanks. 

16 minutes ago, Jabender said:

Hi Calloway guys, I been playing Titleist T100 for the last year and my iron play has suffered because of it, mid 50’s, lost some swing speed and I’m just not as good a ball striker anymore. I’m looking at buying the Apex/DCB blend set. W-7 in Apex 6-5 in DCB. I really like the look and I’m torn between these and the P790. I’m looking for more forgiveness and consistency. I’m not a fan of the T200. What can you guys tell me from your experience?  Thanks. 

I’m not really a lover of the modern’ iron construction and have been happy with my New Level 902s as a sweet-feeling forged iron, but I am truly impressed with the standard Apex. I didn’t care for the 790 and while I loved the OG 770, I did not go for the hollow body sequel. i haven’t really liked past Apexes except for the 2014 Apex Pro. 

Grabbed standard Apex 5-6 irons with PX IO shafts and wow is all I can say. For me the Apex produces long, towering shots. I recommend trying it outside on turf because the sole is real nice and so is impact. I decided to combo with the XForged CB in scoring clubs. I think even low handicappers will find the Apex hard to resist in the long and mid irons. Compact and so, so easy to launch. 

So I pulled the trigger on a set of Apex Pro 21s! 6-AW.
Man it was hard choosing between it and the Mizuno 921 Forged. In the end, i just like the looks of the Callaway better. Feel was pretty much the same for me.
Now the hard part... waiting for the order!

TITLEIST TSR 2 w/PX Evenflow Riptide

Titleist TSR2 16.5 w/Tensei Blue

Titleist TSR2 21w/Tensei Blue

Titleist TSR1 5h, 6h 7h w/Kuro Kage Black

Titleist 24 T-100 7-AW, Recoil 95

Titleist SM9 - 54, 60

Scotty Phantom X5, Scotty Squareback

Titleist ProV1, Callaway Chrome Tour

Vessel Player IV Pro

18 hours ago, Jabender said:

What didn’t you like about the p790? They felt harsh to me. Looking at both irons, without actually hitting them both I would think the apex would be more forgiving

I think the Apex beats the 790 on shape and feel at impact. Both are a little louder than a typical forged iron, and they are both long. It’s a preference but I think Callaway pulled ahead with this generation of Apex. Some don’t like the badging but they look fine to me. The hollow heads made to look like forged irons are OK, but it’s just an internal cavity so it’s not like it feels like one. I wouldn’t know on TM790 forgiveness. I knew I didn’t care for it and so didn’t try to dial it in. Apex seems plenty forgiving. 

Apex does not have a wide sole relative to the type of players distance iron it is, and I like the camber on it vs a flat sole. I’ve always liked the XForged line so it’s a bit of a different combo. I know I’m getting precision in the scoring irons plus easy to launch long irons. Apex Pros are beauties. To me the Pros look slightly better from address than the XFCB, but it is only slight and I preferred a true forged head in short irons mainly because I am used to those shots and don’t want a distance change. Really, I think the MBs look so, so good but I’m not going there. OK, maybe the wedge? 😜

• Like 1