2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Callaway Apex and Apex Pro 21

Lefty87

On 3/23/2021 at 6:56 PM, JDCON said:

Dang it! Any suggestions to compare the 921 Tours to for feel?

The Apex Pro feel is more crisp then soft. Keep in mind they are multi material/hollow body irons so the softness of a true one piece forging is a different animal all together. The Tour pros on our staff that have them in the bag like the feedback they get (like a blade) but also the forgiveness of a CB. In regards to the loft package, its actually on the weaker side beyond the 45 degree PW. 23 in a 4 iron and 26 in a 5 iron would fall on the std to slightly weaker then std vs its comp. Cool thing about these is the long irons laic high with moderate spin and the short irons flight down with a sh$t to of spin. Its a great set of irons. I just wish I wasn't so stuck on my TCB/MB Combo. Id probably play better with the Apex Pros lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like i am going to be joining the Callaway iron family after years of playing other brands. Got fitted at a reputable shop into Apex Pros after playing Srixon 745s for over 8 years. Tried everything under the sun and loved the ZX7 but the performance of the pros (with TT X7s ) blew everything else out of the water, especially on slight mishits.

• Like 2

On 3/23/2021 at 2:18 PM, stoneydukes said:

got to hit my apex 21 for the first time last night and all I can say is WOW. I played a set of MP20 HMB all last season and recently put a set of kbs tgi 95 to replace my trusty Modus 120. My last 2 rounds have been with an Apex 19 smoke combo set with the catalyst 100 CW shafts which I really enjoyed. The apex 21 came with with the factory elevate 95 ETS and after my first indoor range session with the set, I'm pretty sure they will stay. I have a set of catalyst ready if I start getting any joint pain but the VSS system seems to be working well and my front to back dispersion with the steel is noticeably better than with the graphite (and the catalyst were totally gameable). Pretty sure the apex 21 will stay in the bag all season and I can't remember a time in the past few years (besides the HMB) that I've been able to say that. These feel and perform amazing.

Did you have any launch issues with the Catalyst 100s?  They are listed as low launch, low spin.  The Elevate 95s are listed as high launch, high spin in comparison.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

5 hours ago, ShowMe said:

Did you have any launch issues with the Catalyst 100s?  They are listed as low launch, low spin.  The Elevate 95s are listed as high launch, high spin in comparison.

I would have to look at my range logs but on course was actually pretty similar to my eye. The catalyst were in apex 19 so not sure if that made a difference 

On 4/7/2021 at 9:10 AM, cadman88 said:

I have not hit my new APEX Pro's yet, but they definitely look very nice..

A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

Those look fantastic. I am torn between the regular Apex 21s and the Pros. I probably hit the ball well enough to hit the Pros, but I know how much easier it is to hit cavity backs and not have to focus quite so hard. Tough decision.

For those who are familiar with both the CF16's and the regular Apex 21 irons...

How do they compare with respect to turf interaction, and general playability & forgiveness ??? With respect to turf interaction I find that the CF16 irons are the best irons I've ever played.

Also, many of the CF16 owners complained about fliers. I still get them, but not as many as some of the previous owners. I get one on average every 2 to 3 rounds, perfectly struck balls are going 15 to 20 yards longer for no explainable reasons. I'm hoping that Callaway has resolved this issue with the Apex 21 irons.

Thanks in advance.

What's in my Ping Pioneer Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 S-Flex

Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
Ping G400 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex

Callaway Apex CF16 7-PW, UST Recoil 660 F3 R-Flex

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64˚ Wedge, Recoil ES 760 F3

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

Callaway Chrome Soft #1 Lost Ball on Tour - Mark Crossfield

2 hours ago, Pinky5 said:

Those look fantastic. I am torn between the regular Apex 21s and the Pros. I probably hit the ball well enough to hit the Pros, but I know how much easier it is to hit cavity backs and not have to focus quite so hard. Tough decision.

For me the deciding factor was stock lofts of them.. the APEX Pro 21's were closest to my Wilson Staff Model blades (7 irons are at 33° vs 34°) and the APEX 21 7 iron is 30.5°

After having been playing irons with the 7 iron at 34° for the last four sets of irons I wanted to stay somewhat similar lofted thru-out the set. 

A side note, I still have yet to hit my APEX Pro 21's.. minor surgery last week has me sidelined for another week or two.. but looking forward to getting out with them.

Edited by cadman88
  • Like 2

I am really liking mine. I only have 3 out of the 5 irons I ordered (9 iron was on back order, 8 iron had to be returned/replaced), but the 7, PW and AW are all solid performers.

I would say that my Apex 19 Pros feel a bit better. Especially on flushed shots!

• Like 1

TITLEIST TSR 2 w/PX Evenflow Riptide

Titleist TSR2 16.5 w/Tensei Blue

Titleist TSR2 21w/Tensei Blue

Titleist TSR1 5h, 6h 7h w/Kuro Kage Black

Titleist 24 T-100 7-AW, Recoil 95

Titleist SM9 - 54, 60

Scotty Phantom X5, Scotty Squareback

Titleist ProV1, Callaway Chrome Tour

Vessel Player IV Pro

Im so torn on Apex Pro vs X-Forged CB !  I prefer the solid feel of the Xforged, but the forgiveness on the Apex pro would be nice?

thoughts on 

5/6/7 Apex Pro 

8/9/P X Forged CB ?   

• Like 1

Driver - Callaway Rogue ST ◆◆◆  / Tour AD HD  

4wood - Cobra RadSpeed / Tour AD IZ

Hybrid - Callaway Apex / Tour AD DI 

Irons - Cobra Forge Tec  /  Dart V 90  

Wedges - Cleveland RTX 6  52 / 58 

Putter - TM Spider X   Ball - Titleist AVX

2 minutes ago, southpawfox said:

Im so torn on Apex Pro vs X-Forged CB !  I prefer the solid feel of the Xforged, but the forgiveness on the Apex pro would be nice?

thoughts on 

5/6/7 Apex Pro 

8/9/P X Forged CB ?   

Same boat - the other challenge is I can't find a full set of Apex Pro's anywhere near me to see what the full run looks like, let alone hit in anything close to my specs...I know I love the X Forged feel so I may just end up having to go with those since I can put my hands on a full set rather than the guess on the Pro's. That makes a combo set even more tricky with the transition not seeing/testing them before.

...and we're not even adding the TCB's to the complication matrix!

Edited by hooperpsu

D | Stealth+ - 9* - Ventus TR Black - 7 (X)
3 | Rogue ST LS - 15* - Ventus Blue - 7 (X)

U | Srixon ZX - 18* - Modus 3 Hybrid (X)
I  | Callaway Apex TCB 4-PW - Nippon Tour Proto (X)
W| Vokey SM8 - 50F/54M/58T - TT DG TI (S400)
P | Your guess is as good as mine!

1 hour ago, southpawfox said:

Coming from MIzuno blades I will say the Apex Pro forgiveness is legit.  I played Poppy Hills yesterday (for those not familiar this used to be part of the AT&T Pro-am course rotation) and on the second hole (Par 3 - front pin location was 155 and into a headwind) I pulled an 8-iron. 

I hit it a grove or two low on the Apex Pro face which would have been penalizing with my old set of MP-18's (check out the 1:10 mark of the video to get a sense of the trouble).  A strike of that location on the blade probably would have left me 8-10 yards short and possibly down where the grass blends into the natural shrubs but the Apex Pro had enough forgiveness that I landed about 6 feet below the hole and of course missed the easiest birdie putt of the day.  A well flushed 8-iron would have landed a 2-3 yards past the hold and likely would have spun back down the green toward the front pin location.

Edited by toddmanley
added video details

On 4/12/2021 at 2:33 PM, southpawfox said:

thoughts on 

5/6/7 Apex Pro 

8/9/P X Forged CB ?   

That is the lineup I’m playing but I also got the XFCB gap wedge. It is not a combo offered so you have to order as individual irons. Mine arrived last week. Playing first round Thursday. They were spot on in range session. Very consistent irons on distance. They get in and out of the ground quick too. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

On 4/12/2021 at 7:58 AM, Pinky5 said:

The new Apex Pro's are cavity backs (and hollow)- it's just covered.  They aren't difficult to hit.  It's the new fad in golf-- a hollow cavity back iron that is closed to "look like" a blade from a distance.  PXG started it recently then Taylor Made P790 (and later P770), Ping i500 and now Callaway Apex Pro.  Cobra has one also I believe.

In fact the last two iterations of the Apex Pro went away from one-piece forged cavities like the '16 Apex Pro version and have introduced their "tech" packages in player friendly shape. 

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

1 hour ago, cmatthews77 said:

The new Apex Pro's are cavity backs (and hollow)- it's just covered.  They aren't difficult to hit.  It's the new fad in golf-- a hollow cavity back iron that is closed to "look like" a blade from a distance.  PXG started it recently then Taylor Made P790 (and later P770), Ping i500 and now Callaway Apex Pro.  Cobra has one also I believe.

In fact the last two iterations of the Apex Pro went away from one-piece forged cavities like the '16 Apex Pro version and have introduced their "tech" packages in player friendly shape. 

I agree with cmatthews77, the Pro 21s are not hard to hit.  I've hit the Apex 21 and the Apex Pro 21 several times over the last couple of days.  At this point I've narrowed the shaft down to the MMT and hit them off both turf (actual fitting) and mats and there is no clear winner.  I have an appointment to hit them indoors on a launch monitor and see if the data can help with the decision. 

I'm 53, have hovered right around a 10 handicap, and am hoping to play these irons for several years.  Did anyone else have a hard time deciding on which head to go with?  If so, what was the deciding factor for you?  I'm currently giving some consideration of going with the Apex Mixed Combo set.  

Any input or considerations would be appreciated.       

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Net5 said:

I agree with cmatthews77, the Pro 21s are not hard to hit.  I've hit the Apex 21 and the Apex Pro 21 several times over the last couple of days.  At this point I've narrowed the shaft down to the MMT and hit them off both turf (actual fitting) and mats and there is no clear winner.  I have an appointment to hit them indoors on a launch monitor and see if the data can help with the decision. 

I'm 53, have hovered right around a 10 handicap, and am hoping to play these irons for several years.  Did anyone else have a hard time deciding on which head to go with?  If so, what was the deciding factor for you?  I'm currently giving some consideration of going with the Apex Mixed Combo set.  

My only issues with fittings and i've written this before is typically you can only hit a 7 iron and I get that and why.   I would look at the following criteria...

1) with your current irons (assuming it's one set and not a split or combo) where do you start to lose gaps?  In other words, do you hit (carry) your 6i approx 15 yards further than your 7i consistently?  Do you hit (carry) your 5i consistently 15 yards further than your 6i?  Find that spot and consider a combo set to put something in the bag that helps keep the appropriate gap.  That may just mean you need an Apex 5i and can play the Pro in 6-PW...

2) What does the wedge portion of your bag look like?  The Apex PW is 43 degrees so it's going to likely travel close to a 9i in other more "traditional" sets.  That may be helpful for you or it may hurt the gapping at the bottom of your bag.  If you hit the Apex Pro 7i 150 yards and the Apex 7i 163 yards on avg. you can approximate what that will look like at the bottom.

3) Do you generate enough spin and launch with the 7i in either head to be playable?  Pick the one that gives you the best descent angle and spin number relative to the distance.

Personally I thought the 2016 Apex CF16 was a great iron to appeal to a lot of players.  New ones are a bit strong for my liking but that is all relative and personal...

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

6 hours ago, Net5 said:

I played a set of MP20 HMB all last season and then picked up a combo set of Apex 19 with the Catalyst 100 shafts. They were really great. I play to a low 9.x HC so pretty similar to you. First 2 rounds with the combos went 85, 80 so very pleased with those results for a new set out of the gate.

For no good reason, I hit the apex 21 with the elevate shafts and ended up finding a great deal on a new 4-AW set with the elevate 95 ETS shafts. The first indoor session I had with the 21s was showing me a bit more front to back dispersion with the steel shafts. I also have a set of 4-PW Catalyst 100s and a set of MMT 95S waiting for a build. Just so happened that I went in to the PGA Superstore last night and hit the MMT in the apex 21 and I'm sold. Love the feel of graphite in the std Apex heads. Personally, I feel the std Apex (pretty compact compared to my HMB) look plenty "players iron" to my eye and I really appreciate the help in the longer irons over the pros. At a 9 HC, I don't feel I'm sacrificing any workability in the short irons at all and my OCD prefers the full set continuity. But, now that I've hit the MMT, I have to break down the set and change shafts, which isn't too big a deal as I like building my own sets.

Obviously just my opinion but don't think you can really make a bad choice here. In my experience, I've always regretted letting ego put me in clubs that my game can't quite match up to and wishing I had gotten the set that offered a little more forgiveness / distance etc. 

Edited by stoneydukes

On 4/12/2021 at 9:19 AM, 2Bad4u said:

For those who are familiar with both the CF16's and the regular Apex 21 irons...

How do they compare with respect to turf interaction, and general playability & forgiveness ??? With respect to turf interaction I find that the CF16 irons are the best irons I've ever played.

Also, many of the CF16 owners complained about fliers. I still get them, but not as many as some of the previous owners. I get one on average every 2 to 3 rounds, perfectly struck balls are going 15 to 20 yards longer for no explainable reasons. I'm hoping that Callaway has resolved this issue with the Apex 21 irons.

Thanks in advance.

The CF16's were one of my favorite irons I ever played but did sell due to flyers.  The Apex 21 are everything I wanted the CF16's to be.  I did have flyers with the CF16's, none with the Apex 21.  Those shots a little low on the face now retain spin and still fly at a good trajectory.  The Apex 21 is the most forgiving Apex so far for me.  The turf interaction with the CF16's was def my favorite ever.  The apex 21's are very similar to the CF16's in this regard.  The Apex 21 to my eye are stockier and stubbier than the CF16.  The CF16 AW was my favorite AW of all time, the 21's is where i think i maybe should went with 21 pros 8-AW.  The apex 21 PW and AW look kind of stubby and a little thicker than I would ideally like in those clubs, its really not bad just not quite what i like.  If you liked the CF16's I would think you will love the 21's.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mikey6866 said:

The CF16's were one of my favorite irons I ever played but did sell due to flyers.  The Apex 21 are everything I wanted the CF16's to be.  I did have flyers with the CF16's, none with the Apex 21.  Those shots a little low on the face now retain spin and still fly at a good trajectory.  The Apex 21 is the most forgiving Apex so far for me.  The turf interaction with the CF16's was def my favorite ever.  The apex 21's are very similar to the CF16's in this regard.  The Apex 21 to my eye are stockier and stubbier than the CF16.  The CF16 AW was my favorite AW of all time, the 21's is where i think i maybe should went with 21 pros 8-AW.  The apex 21 PW and AW look kind of stubby and a little thicker than I would ideally like in those clubs, its really not bad just not quite what i like.  If you liked the CF16's I would think you will love the 21's.

Thanks Mike for your in-depth comparisons and has reinforced what I believe/thought the differences would be. Don't know how old you are but I'm 66 and my swing speed and flexibility are not what they use to be. Still playing the CF16's but the 5 - 6i are not as good as I want or use to be.

During the fitting session I'll also be hitting the DCB's. Right now I'm thinking of 5-6, or 5-7 DCB and comboing Apex 21's to the AW. Even if I hit the long Apex 21's well I'll probably still inject the DCB's do to age and I'm planning to keep these irons for a few years. Worst case I can eliminate the 5-6i altogether and simply replace them with hybrids. Again, this is all speculation until the fitting process is completed.

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

1 hour ago, 2Bad4u said:

Thanks Mike for your in-depth comparisons and has reinforced what I believe/thought the differences would be. Don't know how old you are but I'm 66 and my swing speed and flexibility are not what they use to be. Still playing the CF16's but the 5 - 6i are not as good as I want or use to be.

During the fitting session I'll also be hitting the DCB's. Right now I'm thinking of 5-6, or 5-7 DCB and comboing Apex 21's to the AW. Even if I hit the long Apex 21's well I'll probably still inject the DCB's do to age and I'm planning to keep these irons for a few years. Worst case I can eliminate the 5-6i altogether and simply replace them with hybrids. Again, this is all speculation until the fitting process is completed.

Youll love the apex 21 long irons.  They are so easy to hit.  Irons are usually my biggest weakness.  The apex 21 6 iron is so easy to hit.  You can hit it almost anywhere on the face and it wants to go high and pretty straight.  I hit one so far out on the toe and low and ball flight was still great and landed on green maybe 8 - 10 yards shorter than if I smoked one.   Im not hitting the PW and AW as well as I want just yet but im still hitting greens with them at least.  Im about 5 rounds in with them in live conditions and multiple range sessions on grass and turf.  Ive purposely hit tons of balls a groove low and low on face, how they maintain consistant ball speed and spin to where its very playable is remarkable.  Im 39 and this is my 5th year golfing.  I shoot low to mid 80's and have had a bunch of 9 holes in the 30's but ive never had a full round in the 70's yet.  If you get along with wider soles I think the DCB's will probably be a great option as well.  I myself find I hit wide soles ok on turf but in real world conditions I just dont get along with them very well.  The apex 21 sole is very similar to the cf16s but the top line looks a little boxier to me.  The DCB top line was just a little too big for my liking and in the longer irons you can start to see the back peeking out which I dont like to see at address.

Im always tinkering and love the look of the new apex hybrids and ive been tempted to just buy them and give them a try but my epic flash hybrids are so good im not sure how the apexs could be much of an upgrade.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 7:40 PM, owu23 said:

Looks like i am going to be joining the Callaway iron family after years of playing other brands. Got fitted at a reputable shop into Apex Pros after playing Srixon 745s for over 8 years. Tried everything under the sun and loved the ZX7 but the performance of the pros (with TT X7s ) blew everything else out of the water, especially on slight mishits.

Exactly me experience.  I thought the 745's were sort of a once in a generation iron.  Soft, accurate and workable.  I thought I would be playing the ZX7's given how close they are in design to the 745.  But nope.  The Apex Pro was simply to0 good to pass up.  I know they are jacked a degree from the stock 745's, but length wasn't the goal.  Control.  Consistency.  Feel.  Check.  Check.  Check.

• Like 1

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

Managed to hit the Pros at a Cally demo day today, they only had the fitting iron and it looked terrible due to the fitting hosel. They didn't have any shafts long enough or in my flex, so unfortunately I wasn't able to get any idea on what they actually feel like. The offset of the Pro compared to the X Forged was really distracting to me, the bottom of the hosel at the heel really didn't help either.

That said, he did have a TCB 7-iron, which I've ordered on the spot. Holy heck those are juicy! 

On 4/12/2021 at 1:33 PM, southpawfox said:

thoughts on 

5/6/7 Apex Pro 

8/9/P X Forged CB ?   

Solid. The AP long irons are rockets but, not jumpy fliers!  You'll get a lot of control and feel with those short irons

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

13 hours ago, mikey6866 said:

Youll love the apex 21 long irons.  They are so easy to hit.  Irons are usually my biggest weakness.  The apex 21 6 iron is so easy to hit.  You can hit it almost anywhere on the face and it wants to go high and pretty straight.  I hit one so far out on the toe and low and ball flight was still great and landed on green maybe 8 - 10 yards shorter than if I smoked one.   Im not hitting the PW and AW as well as I want just yet but im still hitting greens with them at least.  Im about 5 rounds in with them in live conditions and multiple range sessions on grass and turf.  Ive purposely hit tons of balls a groove low and low on face, how they maintain consistant ball speed and spin to where its very playable is remarkable.  Im 39 and this is my 5th year golfing.  I shoot low to mid 80's and have had a bunch of 9 holes in the 30's but ive never had a full round in the 70's yet.  If you get along with wider soles I think the DCB's will probably be a great option as well.  I myself find I hit wide soles ok on turf but in real world conditions I just dont get along with them very well.  The apex 21 sole is very similar to the cf16s but the top line looks a little boxier to me.  The DCB top line was just a little too big for my liking and in the longer irons you can start to see the back peeking out which I dont like to see at address.

Im always tinkering and love the look of the new apex hybrids and ive been tempted to just buy them and give them a try but my epic flash hybrids are so good im not sure how the apexs could be much of an upgrade.

One again thanks for your feedback. You reminded me what one of the greatest strengths of the CF16's... it's narrow turf interaction sole. I've tried other "game improvement" irons but always return to the CF16's for this reason. Perhaps I was too focused on many of the reviews proclaiming the DCB strengths in the longer irons. It may be for many but it may not be for me.

I'll still try the DCB's when I do my fitting to see how they may work in the longer irons. Depending how that works out another option could be to order 6-A, see how well the 6i is working on the course, and then decide what to do next. Order the Apex 21 5i, order the DCB 5i, or just fill that spot with another hybrid. I know I'm overanalyzing everything but I suspect that most golfers on this site do. 

On 3/24/2021 at 9:25 AM, Morry said:

Building a combo set with PX I/O 6.5's right now - Excited 

coming from modus 105-x

let us know what your testing shows and love to know how the IO's fare

thanks

I said I would come back post-fitting to give my view on shafts, given I am keen KBS Tour V 110 user. I also tried the Project X IO and MMT. In terms of flight they were all very similar. The Project X IO certainly felt different, a more even weighted shaft throughout. They were also my fastest ball speed and heighest flight. The MMT's performed similar to the Tour V for me, and great on good strikes. Less forgiving on off centre hits for me which I found surprising. I could easily game all 3 shafts. As for the 21 Apex Pro's, they were fine, but I prefer my T100's. The Pro's are noticibly clickier than the T100's, but produced a more penetrating flight. What the fitter also had was one single Apex TBC 7 iron, with a glued Project X LS 6.0 in it. One hit with that club, and I knew those irons are for me. Trouble is of course I couldn't put the MMT / Tour V / IO into the 7 iron to get the fit dialed in and place an order. Here in the UK the TCB's are starting to trickle out, so I'll need to wait for the fitters to get the changable heads. Gut feel is TCB's with IO 6.0 will be perfect for me.

• Like 1

Taylormade Mini 300 11.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue 6S
Callaway X Forged UT 18, 21, 24 - PX U 6.0
Callaway TCB 5 to AW - PX IO 6.0
Callaway Jaws Raw 54S, 60Z - PX IO 6.0
The 2200 Softie Bobby Grace by Cobra

I traded in my Apex 19 for Apex 21 "mixed set" which is Pro AW - 8, Apex 7 - 4. I decided on this change for the following reasons:

- Apex short irons had too much bounce and offset for me, and it was difficult to work the ball, encourage a hook for me, which is last thing I wanted in a short iron;

- There was a substantial upgrade from the 19' Pro to the 21' with the hollow head, tungsten insert.

- I stayed with Apex in the longer irons for more forgiveness on clubs where I'm just looking to launch it high and let my natural shape (draw) determine the flight;

- I wanted a change from KBS Tour to the somewhat firmer $-Taper.\;

- Lastly, I appreciate the greater feel on the short clubs making sure I'm honest with my swing. (No, I dont feel the need for same on longer clubs, theyre hard enough already)

I am very happy I did this, and my only comment is that I think the Apex are slightly less forgiving, and slightly lower launch than the 19's. I assume it has something to do with located more weight behind the sweet spot. Anyway I am very happy!!! First time in a while felt my set was close to complete (still need some work on the wedges lie angle and maybe shaft, and may get a different putter too as the lie on this one may be too flat.) 

Edited by JD3
  • Like 1

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

I had a chance to finally hit the Apex Pro 21.  Really liked how they looked by the ball, but just as equally did not like how they sounded/felt.  I wanted to love them, but they were clacky sounding on even flush hits.

I understand they they are hollow-bodied, and I felt they sounded hollow-bodied.  They are a good product, but not for me.

On 4/16/2021 at 6:57 AM, UKGolfer79 said:

I said I would come back post-fitting to give my view on shafts, given I am keen KBS Tour V 110 user. I also tried the Project X IO and MMT. In terms of flight they were all very similar. The Project X IO certainly felt different, a more even weighted shaft throughout. They were also my fastest ball speed and heighest flight. The MMT's performed similar to the Tour V for me, and great on good strikes. Less forgiving on off centre hits for me which I found surprising. I could easily game all 3 shafts. As for the 21 Apex Pro's, they were fine, but I prefer my T100's. The Pro's are noticibly clickier than the T100's, but produced a more penetrating flight. What the fitter also had was one single Apex TBC 7 iron, with a glued Project X LS 6.0 in it. One hit with that club, and I knew those irons are for me. Trouble is of course I couldn't put the MMT / Tour V / IO into the 7 iron to get the fit dialed in and place an order. Here in the UK the TCB's are starting to trickle out, so I'll need to wait for the fitters to get the changable heads. Gut feel is TCB's with IO 6.0 will be perfect for me.

100% same experience for me. TCB's were ordered on the spot! I went with the LS since they're hopefully similar to the OG rifle PX's from whey back.