What’s the Worst Feeling in Golf?

Honeybadger

I think the most disappointment to me is hitting a driver "just a little in the rough" where you see the flight, track it down, pick the tree it's near, etc., but then when you get there it's no where to be found. Not only did you hit a bad shot and lose a ball, you question whether or not your eyes even work. 

• Like 4

Callaway Mavrik Driver

Titleist TS2 4w

Titleist TS2 7w

Mizuno MP20 MB 4-W

Vokey SM8 50*

Vokey SM8 55*

Taylormade HiToe 60*

Scotty Cameron Phantom X5 

Here are a couple quick stories:

1) Some other guy I didn't even know teeing off on the first hole, with a couple of 4somes waiting their turn ,  he pull hooks it over the OB fence right into housing. Everybody goes completely silent you could hear a pin drop as his ball crashed through a picture window.😬

2) This one involved me. Playing at an upscale desert course out of town, I rented some clubs and joined a 4some.  After hitting my tee shot into the desert, for my 2nd shot I pulled out a 5 iron to punch out back into the fairway. Not being familiar with my rented clubs I accidently pulled out my playing partner's new Titlest 5 iron instead of my rental. I put a nice scuff on the club and put it back into my bag. My partner, who I didn't know from Adam, went looking for his brand new 5 iron, only to find it in my bag scuffed to hell. Talk about total disdain for my being, I felt horrible for making such a silly mistake. Now, some twenty years later I laugh at the incident.

• Haha 1

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

It's difficult to pin point the worst or best feeling in golf because there are so many, but 3 putting from 4 feet on a par 3 didn't make me feel too good. Putting for a birdie and ending up with a bogie is deflating.

On another par 3, tee shot to the back of the green then 5 putting for a triple bogie didn't make me smile.

In a two man scramble and playing well, we got a quadruple bogie on a short par 4 that took us out of contention.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

On 12/12/2020 at 8:39 AM, MtlJeff said:

lipping out a 5 footer for par. Definitely the worst for me. More than anything else that feels like truly just giving away a shot

Yeah, it would have been really nice if the idiot that created this game had the fore thought to add a countersink feature to the hole.

Shanking any approach shot into the water or OB when you have a chance at birdie or better... especially when your other shots into the green on other holes were pretty good SMH

Oh and when i first started playing golf, having to buy a 2nd box of balls at the turn because you lost most of them in the front 9 

Hit a monster drive in the fairway. Pull a wedge, lose focus, lay some sod. Talk about self-loathing.

• Like 1

G400 Max 9* : Ventus Black 6X

Stealth+ 3W 15* : Ventus Black 7X

TSI3 3H 20* : Atmos TS Blue HB 8X 

'21 T100 4-PW : AMT Tour White S300

SM8 50.08F, 54.14F, SM9 58.08M : DG S300

'00 White Hot Rossie

Pro V1

Thought of another one...

Playing the hole perfectly and walking away with bogey.  Good smart tee ball with a shorter club.  Smart layup to 115.  Tugging the ball just ever so slightly so you have a 40 foot downhill putt instead of a 20 ft level putt.  Making a good stroke on the first putt but it just runs out 5 ft past the hole.  Miss the comeback.  In reality, 5 good shots and end up with tap in 6.

• Like 1

Well, this worst feeling is a bit different, but living in the North, I would say that the worst feeling in golf is not being able to play for another 4 month or so due to winter. Hands down this is the worst feeling in the game of golf!

• Like 2

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

For me it is blowing a hole or a match or a big money member guest with a simple mistake when you have a partner relying on you

Could be a monster drive and a skulled / chili'd wedge for bogey (nice drive, nice 5) or a simple missed 2 foot putt

For me it is way worse to let your buddy down, especially if you are "the player" in the group  .. and it doesn't matter if you've carried the team all day

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

The worst feeling in the world is standing on the 18th in a foursomes competition, with a good score going and being in contention and putting that drive in a place that is just dead. 

Note only is the score ruined, the comp is gone but most of all you've let your partner down. It's a pain that's hard to get over.

2 hours ago, Superbrit said:

A topped Tee shot on the first hole of the club championship with 20 - 30 other players all watching

Wasn't the worst feeling but a terrifying one.

My captaincy year drive in, about 100 members watching and I have to use and old hickory wood. The knowledge that the next shot I hit might stay with me for the rest of my time at that club was terrifying when I'm using a club I have no idea how to hit. 

• Like 1

I think the worst feeling shot is the almost impossibly severe topping of a ball with a fairway wood off the deck. Maybe this outcome is unique to me and my massive flip, but I can't think of anything worse. Especially when one has waited for the green to clear on a Par 5.

It almost looks like a trick shot with the way it goes literally into the ground then emerges and pops forward like a cue ball struck with strong follow english on a pool table.  

2 hours ago, Dr. Block said:

I think the worst feeling shot is the almost impossibly severe topping of a ball with a fairway wood off the deck. Maybe this outcome is unique to me and my massive flip, but I can't think of anything worse. Especially when one has waited for the green to clear on a Par 5.

It almost looks like a trick shot with the way it goes literally into the ground then emerges and pops forward like a cue ball struck with strong follow english on a pool table.  

Rotf, you may be right. Topping the ball really sucks, as I only do it maybe once or twice a year, don't remember. There are many crummy feelings in golf, one might be chunking your lw shot into a front green water hazard after a great drive. I did that this year, had a mammoth drive on a par 4 leaving a lw into the green which was protected in front by a pond. Crappy feeling hitting the chunk, then hearing the plop into the water from 80 yards out. Then having to drop and hit again over the water, usually over compensating and hitting it long like I did. lol, I don't like either of our situations.

• Like 1

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

13 minutes ago, hybrid25 said:

Rotf, you may be right. Topping the ball really sucks, as I only do it maybe once or twice a year, don't remember. There are many crummy feelings in golf, one might be chunking your lw shot into a front green water hazard after a great drive. I did that this year, had a mammoth drive on a par 4 leaving a lw into the green which was protected in front by a pond. Crappy feeling hitting the chunk, then hearing the plop into the water from 80 yards out. Then having to drop and hit again over the water, usually over compensating and hitting it long like I did. lol, I don't like either of our situations.

Oh man, now you have me thinking. Those two are close to equal ground for sure. But the chunk...the chunk is something all golfers are excused of. Plus, there is something being accomplished, you are at least moving some earth around. 

As a fairly decent player, when I hit that circus trick topped shot, it makes me want to quit the game. A top that bad is basically a whiff, so you lose your balance in the follow through and look like a massive knob. It usually only happens to me once or twice a season, but it always happens when I am being watched by a handful of people.  

• Like 2

I think muffing the approach from the middle of fairway hits your soul the hardest since you just came off of a good shot.

The duffed or skulled chip could happen under any circumstances but having the perfect lie with nothing but space and opportunity and blowing it has got to be the worst.

Misreading putts is pretty bad too since they have the same effect on your score as spraying a drive or skulling a chip.

Hitting a shot that you can watch slowly and surely go into the water.. 

Second. Hitting a bomb drive where all you have is a flip wedge and laying the sod over it. 

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

2 minutes ago, platgof said:

Knowing I am not going to make it to the porti potti in time!! 

I don't know how old you are, but when you get to 65 and bph issues it can be a "worst feeling" situation.

• Like 1

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

Prior to taking the attitude that "it's only a game", the worst feeling was pondering too much time spent at something I was never going to be that great at doing.

After this realisation, my attitude to the game improved and I enjoyed it more.