Best of the Stainless Woods

I know Persimmon is king, but as a kid who grew up in and learned to play golf in the 90's, I learned on both persimmon and steel heads (TM Tour Driver and Burner) (still have the TM's that I learned on). It seems that TM's Pittsburgh Persimmons (and descendant models: Tour Drive/Brassie/Spoon, Burner woods) are the most popular models (makes sense, since they started it all). Other esteemed models in my mind would be the King Cobra Deep Face (ala Tiger in '97), the Callaway S2H2, and of course the Big Bertha.

My question is what are everyone's favorites of the steel headed woods of the 80's and 90's? What were other popular models or models used by top players?

I grew up on wooden woods (laminates) and had a spell away from golf when everything was changing so completely missed the steel head era.

When I came back to golf around 2005, I dug my old set out the garage and it took me a while to work out why I was getting funny looks, I eventually bought a cheap Dunlop 460cc and went from there.

As for steel heads, I now have some for use when the weather is too vile for wooden woods and the ones that get the most play are a 1989 Titleist set of 1, 3 & 5. 

Not sure how popular these were but for me their biggest drawback is that at address they sit very toe-in.

And it's often forgotten that the first ones were actually smaller than persimmon heads due to the weight of the steel.

Some crappy pictures below.

image.png.b5b63f27a96473d1d27ccb59f3345162.png

image.png.26120399c920d0213058c9536eb5ae44.png

• Like 4

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

My history is remarkably similar to Jiggered's. Brought up on laminates, moved into persimmon and then onto steel in the early '90's.

I too was completely out of the game from the mid '90's to around 2013. In that period woods had gone from proper wood size to ridiculous balloons on sticks. Briefly tried a Titleist 905R (400cc) - didn't like it. Quickly progressed back to persimmon provoking curious glances.

Like Jiggered I play steel in winter to protect my woods from damp.

For me it is Taylormade. Usually Tour Driver (8*) and Tour Spoon (13*). This year they remain locked in our Covid inaccessible locker room so I have opted for Burner Plus (9.5*) and Burner 4W (18*). Heads are smaller than persimmons so help keep the eye in!

I don't have much experience of other metals as I have never seen past the TM Burner series.

• Like 3

After my lovely Mizuno persimmon driver was stolen, I got a secondhand TM Tour Burner (think that was the name), which I still have back in the UK. Around that time, almost any Junior who fancied himself as a half decent golfer had one in the bag. Mine had a gold carbon shaft with no labels or decals so I've no idea what it was, but I think it was a stock shaft. Although I was playing a metal driver, my 3 and 5 woods were both persimmon: Maxfli Australian blades. I still have them, but they are not in good shape. I ought to look at getting them restored and reshafted next time I'm back in Britain--whenever that will be.

A few years later, in the late Nineties, I played a little golf and borrowed a TM Raylor from a friend's brother. Now that was an excellent little club. 17* of loft, I think, and a very small head. I hit some great shots with that.

I've been thinking it might be fun to play a little golf again with the early metal woods. Maybe one day...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Terreb said:

I am strictly persimmon except for one metal driver. I bought this at a Goodwill store for $7, it's sole purpose was to take to the driving range to hit the range rocks. Not a fan of hitting the rocks with persimmon. Turns out I love this club, maybe my favorite one of all the ones I have hit. It just fits and feels perfect. Here are a few pics of my range club. Enjoy!

rsz_img_3157.jpg

rsz_img_3158.jpg

rsz_img_3160.jpg

The first driver I remember having (I think I had some cheap ones before). Really liked this club until I got my hands on the Titleist 975, I've pretty much been a Titleist driver guy ever since. 

• Like 1

I have a set of the Callaway Big Bertha War bird metal woods -- 11° driver, 4W & Heavenwood.  I play them with a set of Eye 2 clones.  I have the longest drive I ever hit with that War bird measured out at 270 yds about 5 years ago.  Kind of a crazy result for a guy that struggles to hit them 200 on average anymore.

• Like 1

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

The Warbird performed so well at the range I had to play a round or two with it this year. I can consistently hit 250 yards with it at about 80% power. In comparison I played a Cleveland Classic TC15 persimmon, most of the year,  and hit that around 220 yards. 

If I was to go with another metal driver I would love to try a Titleist 975D. I was close to pulling the trigger on one about 2 weeks ago, but found a nice Hogan Apex persimmon driver I liked better. 

Edited by Terreb
  • Like 4

I grew up playing in the 70s with laminate.  Didn't pay much attention to laminate vs persimmon.  Spalding box set first then some hand me down Hogan Speed Slots.  I was young and wild and had GolfWRX swing speed back then.  One bad swing off the neck and it was off to the repair shop.  Got tired of that so switched to Pittsburgh Persimmon for the increased ruggedness and durability.   Going back in time, I have an Eye 2 driver.  It's not that small.  Seems quite playable.  Think I'll play it next week after the snow melts.

• Like 2

I transitioned from Persimmon Powerbilt Citation woods to this combo of TM TP 13° Tour Spoon with an Aldila HM-30 graphite shaft and 8° Lynx V-Tech Driver , high modules graphite head with the stock Powertune graphite shaft.

It was not until the the first Taylormade Titanium Bubbles that I made the switch to all metal woods.

20200910_075415.jpg

20200910_074908.jpg

20200910_075054.jpg

Edited by KRW59
  • Like 4

I recall the smaller steel head fairway woods staying in a lot of tour player's bags long after the big titanium drivers arrived on the scene. In particular, the Taylor Made Burner in Phil Mickelson's bag when he was with Yonex, and the Titleist PT for Tiger. 

I still have my TM burner 3 wood with a True Temper EI-70 shaft in it. It is a spectacular club, and whenever I get it out on the course, I wonder why I've bothered with any other three wood since. I play that three wood in a bag with the early Yonex Tour irons (that Phil used) with the legendary LTB600 gold colored graphite shafts. The Yonex Tour irons always struck me as a beautiful forged tribute to Ping Eye 2's, which would make sense, because Phil was a Ping guy before he signed with Yonex out of college.   

BUY GOLF CLUBS ONLINE, USED AND NEWTitleist PT Fairway Wood | Tools of Golf

PING resolves Eye2 wedge and irons controversy - Golf MonthlyYonex Tour Forged 5 Iron Yonex LTB 600 Regular Graphite Shafts Golf Pride  Grip | eBay

Edited by Dr. Block
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, KRW59 said:

I transitioned from Persimmon Powerbilt Citation woods to this combo of TM TP 13° Tour Spoon with an Aldila HM-30 graphite shaft and 8° Lynx V-Tech Driver , high modules graphite head with the stock Powertune graphite shaft.

It was not until the the first Taylormade Titanium Bubbles that I made the switch to all metal woods.

20200910_075415.jpg

20200910_074908.jpg

20200910_075054.jpg

I have always been curious about those graphite "woods". How do they feel compared to persimmon/stainless steel/titanium? I know they look cool haha

• Like 1

This is something I've been thinking about quite a bit lately.  I wasn't a kid when I started, but I also started playing golf in the 90s, and missed out on persimmons or laminates from the beginning.

I also missed out on a lot of the woods that many guys played in those years.  

Just bought a Cobra Deep Face on eBay, to make up for that a bit.  🙂

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

2 hours ago, Tremendous-Slouch said:

I have always been curious about those graphite "woods". How do they feel compared to persimmon/stainless steel/titanium? I know they look cool haha

Feel ???....I would compare it to a dead blow hammer....My brother and I both played graphite headed drivers . His Yonex ADX was much lighter than my Lynx...In it's time some one did a driver test and the Yonex won the distance category..beating all the stainless and Persimmon...

I liked mine because of the deep face, larger head size , instilled confidence in my swing for the fences mentality......( Actually the guy I bought mine from told me some one had won a Long Drive event with this very club)...

Edited by KRW59
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, raggal62 said:

The Yonex along with the Diawa were probably the best graphite headed drivers available during that era. But as a whole the technology was short lived due to the lack of feel or feedback provided. This along with the sound which was somewhat muted, more like a "thud".

A "very muted thud" perfect description of the Lynx . The Yonex being much lighter, had a muted with a hint of ' crispness ' feel....

When I started out, I had a graphite headed 3-wood, which may have also had a carbon shaft. I don't remember the maker, but I think it was Japanese, and the head was burgundy coloured. I really liked it, and still remember some of the shots I hit with it.

I've mentioned this before on this forum, but one day, in cold weather, I hit a tee shot heavy and felt something wrong with the club. When I looked at the head, it had cracked completely around the hosel. Not down the hosel, but around.

Edit: Forgot to add that I bought the 3w second-hand, and it must have been pretty cheap because I remember the pro at the club telling us (brother and me) not to spend lots of money on new clubs starting out because we'll soon grow out of them.

Edited by No_Catchy_Nickname
Additional information
  • Like 1

On 12/21/2020 at 5:37 PM, Terreb said:

I am strictly persimmon except for one metal driver. I bought this at a Goodwill store for $7, it's sole purpose was to take to the driving range to hit the range rocks. Not a fan of hitting the rocks with persimmon. Turns out I love this club, maybe my favorite one of all the ones I have hit. It just fits and feels perfect. Here are a few pics of my range club.

That's Titanium, not stainless.  For Stainless.  I would say I have hit the MacGregor Nicklaus 20th Muirfield driver the best.  I have hit a few bombs with my 7.5* Burner steel though too.

My favorite SS fairway wood was the Titleist PT 15, it had the best sound/ feel of any metal wood I have ever hit. I also had a TM 19* baffler that I loved dearly for many years. I still have the head laying around somewhere. 

pre titanium my favorite driver was a Yamaha EOS, traditional sized head, then a TM Burner mid sized with a flex Twist shaft.  I played the TM Burner driver, not the Pittsburgh persimmon but the 2nd gen, for several years with the DG in it, but never got along with it as well as the fairways.  Played the matching 3 wood many years as well, with the Pittsburgh persimmon  baffler. 

• Like 2

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

1 hour ago, tannyhoban said:

I picked up a Founders Fresh Metal 10.5 in '92 that was a beast for me. 

That was my favorite.

I did not switch from Persimmon to metal to around 02 or so. My first metal was a Founders Judge small head with a X-1000 steel shaft. I could pound that thing. Ended up cracking that thing on the sole along the rails. later on a guy I describe as a master club builder told me those were prone to cracking there with stiff steel shafts. My next metal which I still have and my first big head metal was a Golf Gear Tsunami with a Tsunami Stiff Tour Shaft

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style