2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Still gaming G400 Max?

SMAC43

53 minutes ago, sanzo said:

How does one get the right shaft combo with the g400  as it's not available for fitting anymore,. How do ppl test and try out different shafts before they buy?

I’ve been to a couple fittings over the years and know what I fit into. Then build the shaft in the garage. 

1 hour ago, sanzo said:

Can you actually build shafts from raw materials?  Could anyone in a golf shop ask for a shaft fitting only  and bring their own driver head just ?

Probably not with the G400 line, depends on which Callaway too. Titleist, Taylormade, Srixon, and Miszuno haven’t changed theirs for a while. 

I bought a Tour Edge EXS 220 as a back up to my G400 Max, and it seems to be a very good back up.

I play a Aldila Xtorsion Copper 60TX in both my G400 Max and my EXS 220.

Both clubs I have set at 7.5* loft (the G400 has an aftermarket adapter from  Billy Bobs)

The shaft in the G400 max is tipped 1/2 inch and plays at 44.5” while the one in the Tour Edge is straight in and plays at 44.75”.

I haven’t been on a Trackman or GC Quad, but both seem to be the same or very similar to my eye in both peak height and carry distance. I can tell the landing area because if I hit a perfect drive with both at a shed on the range that is about 12ft long and 10ft high at 274y out according my range finder, I can hit the shed. 

The G400 sits slightly more open, but the EXS 220 lofted down to 7.5 is very neutral. I prefer the Ping at address due to the way it sits, and the crown doesn’t bother me, although the Tour Edge is a sleeker looking club. 

The G400 is louder, more high pitch than the more muted EXS 220….. sound never really bothered me, it’s not obnoxious, but the Tour Edge sounds better. 

Even though the Ping sits more open at address, I tend to draw it slightly more, which isn’t much because I’m a very straight ball hitter. Id say the EXS may curve 10ft while the Ping curves about 20ft right to left.

Both clubs are a better fit for me than my previous 9* G410 LST. I bought the G400 max and EXS 220 due to needing more spin considering the G410 lst would launch around 15.5-16* and spin around 1750-1900rpm on flushed strikes, but the slightly high toe miss and I’m seeing around 1200rpm or less. I think I carried the G410 lst a few yards longer because I’d hit high up on the shed or the roof on occasion, while the G400 and Tour Edge are more likely to hit very low on the shed or on a short hop.

The G400 Max and Tour Edge EXS 220 are a lot more forgiving than the G410 lst , so if I’m giving up 5-10y on one that’s flushed, I’m gaining it back in overall distance by hitting more fairways. 

I could play either I have now…… in all honesty, if the Tour Edge sat as open as the G400 Max at address, it would probably be my gamer, but the G400 is staying in the bag for now due to how it sits at address for me. 

I haven’t found a driver that sits as open as the G400 max unless it’s a low spin model driver

Hard to find a more perfect fit than the G400 max for me.

Edited by Drivingrangehero

I bought a 2nd G400 Max (head) as a backup recently. I just can’t see anything beating it. Hit 12/14 fws the other day and my two misses were by a total of 5 yards (and that’s not unusual). My setup, 43.5 inch shaft with a 24g weight, is perfect for my swing and I don’t lose much, if any, distance. Wish I loved my other clubs half as much as my driver.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kyfra said:

I bought a 2nd G400 Max (head) as a backup recently. I just can’t see anything beating it. Hit 12/14 fws the other day and my two misses were by a total of 5 yards (and that’s not unusual). My setup, 43.5 inch shaft with a 24g weight, is perfect for my swing and I don’t lose much, if any, distance. Wish I loved my other clubs half as much as my driver.

Same. G400 MAX (with AD-DI5), playing at 43.5. Often hit very high fairway numbers.

It took me about 2 years to find the perfect amount of polyfill and lead tape, and I've finally got it right and will never change it. Don't ask me how much polyfill or lead tape is on there because I have absolutely no clue.

I got paired up with a fairly new golfer today and he thought it was funny that I had "duct tape" over my Ping logo on my driver lol. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just bought my, 5th, or wait, 6th G400 MAX? lol The price stayed the same. This is in Canadian Dollars btw. This driver just keeps on coming back to my bag. Standard regular tour Ping shaft was the best combo for me with this driver and I was stupid to sell that club. So far I could not find the same feel and set up that I had before and had to settle with a Ping G425 Max. Which is great but I hate the sound feel.

Borrowing my buddies G400 MAX with a stiff Alta CB shaft really rekindled my love for the MAX.  I got a shorter tour shaft and some lead tape to play around with this time. 

No description available.

Edited by msg
  • Like 2

I was a long time standard G400 guy with a dabble of the G410 two seasons ago and G425 this year. I seem to always find my way back to the G400. I've decided to give the G400 Max a try. Just got the head back from Will Peoples with 5g of hot melt added to neutralize sound and bring the swing weight up for the shorter build. Pairing it up with a Ventus Black 7x at 44.5". Excited to try this out.

Edited by cflo2382
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, cflo2382 said:

I was a long time standard G400 guy with a dabble of the G410 two seasons ago and G425 this year. I seem to always find my way back to the G400. I've decided to give the G400 Max a try. Just got the head back from Will Peoples with 5g of hot melt added to neutralize sound and bring the swing weight up for the shorter build. Pairing it up with a Ventus Black at 44.5". Excited to try this out.

and that right there is my set up

I just ordered weights though to get a higher weight.  Sound doesn't bother me, so I never even thought about hot melt.  The interchangeable weights work great.

It's awesome

I use the Ventus black 7S or a Hzrdus green and away we go.  Either combo has been real good to me.  Especially with a little shorter shaft.

• Like 1

Yadi for President

Still gaming mine, after dabbling with a SIM2

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Just got a max used as a Florida home backup 4 weeks back (traded in some hybrids I wasn’t using) … plus I have a 10* LST as well

twin just found a display of new 10.5 max heads yesterday …. and I now have 3 maxes !

fav shafts are Blueboard tour issue 53x, ventus black 5x and ventus blue 6x 

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Just switched out of the 400 Max to the TSR2, which was very surprising.

Titleist TSR2 9* Black AD DI 6X
Callaway 816 Alpha 14* Aldila Rogue Silver I/O 70S
Taylormade M3 5W Aldila Rogue Black 80X

Srixon ZXU 4 Recoil F5
Titleist T100 5-PW AMT White S300
Vokey SM6 Black 50F, 54F, 58S
Ping Scottsdale Anser Antique Finish Tungsten Weights to 350G
Scotty Cameron 08 Studio Select Newport 2

I gamed the Callaway Rouge Max LS 10.5 this year. Best club in my bag. So... I buy a used Ping G400 Max, because, well you guys know. I love the Max! I've been a big fan of Ping Drivers and almost went with the G425 this year. I read so many positives about the G400 Max I just had to get it. It has the stock shaft Alta CB 55, R Flex. The seasons over but I have hit it quite a bit in a Dome and a couple times outside. Very pleased with the ball flight. I was wondering if anyone has experience with the Ping Tour shaft? My SS is 95 mph with a smooth transition. There is a Ping Tour shaft used local to me that I was thinking about. Any info would be appreciated!

Edited by isitour

Titleist TSR2  10*

TaylorMade Burner Mini 13.5*

Titleist TSR2 16.5*

Ping G425 Hybrid 21*

Wilson Staff Utility 24*

Wilson D9 Forged 6-PW

Titleist SM9 50 F 54* S 58* M

Evnroll ER11v Midlock

Titleist ProV1

1 hour ago, isitour said:

I was wondering if anyone has experience with the Ping Tour shaft? My SS is 95 mph with a smooth transition.

I usually play X Flex shaft, and my current gamer is a Xtorsion Copper 60TX and the Ping Tour 65x feels a bit too boardy for my liking, but very good in Stiff flex tipped. 

• Like 1

Two seasons ago I played a G400, but switched to a Cally Epic Max for 2022. Although I liked the Epic Max, I never particularly clicked with it so when 2nd Swing listed some new G400 Max 10.5s a few weeks ago I took the plunge. After hitting the club on the range, I was able to play with it today and (i) finally see what all of the fuss is about and (ii) will not be going back to the Cally.

Clubs: Ping (Driver, 5W, 5H, 6H, 7i-UW), Cleveland (wedges), Odyssey 2-Ball counter balanced

Ball: Maxfli Tour (yellow) or Vice Pro (neon lime); Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope x5

4 hours ago, isitour said:

I gamed the Callaway Rouge Max LS 10.5 this year. Best club in my bag. So... I buy a used Ping G400 Max, because, well you guys know. I love the Max! I've been a big fan of Ping Drivers and almost went with the G425 this year. I read so many positives about the G400 Max I just had to get it. It has the stock shaft Alta CB 55, R Flex. The seasons over but I have hit it quite a bit in a Dome and a couple times outside. Very pleased with the ball flight. I was wondering if anyone has experience with the Ping Tour shaft? My SS is 95 mph with a smooth transition. There is a Ping Tour shaft used local to me that I was thinking about. Any info would be appreciated!

I have tried the Alta CB stiff and regular and Tour. So far, tour gave me the best numbers. Lower spin and launch. It does not feel overly stiff but it does feel like a stiff Alta CB. I played the Rogue Max this season, at least half the season and it is a good driver. But for some reason, I like the G400 MAX more. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well, the G400 Max, which has been firmly in my bag for several years, has finally been unseated (for good this time) by the Titleist TSR3.

Holy crap, what an amazing driver. Played two days of Alternate shot golf at the SCGA Foursomes Championshipl on a very tough, very tight course with trouble everywhere and hit 14 / 14 fairways. My son delivered the club to me overnight. I had never hit a single shot with it before I teed it up in this tournament. I paired it with the HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 and it's just crazy good for me. And I LOVE the sound (versus PING's "tingy" sound, which I never cared for).

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

26 minutes ago, realmfg said:

Did you add weight to the head?  I just got one and was thinking of cutting it down as well.

Yeah I added some lead tape. I think 5-6 grams if I remember correctly. I basically tried it and added tape as I hit balls. There is no right or wrong amount IMHO, just what feels right. I've got it where I like it and I'm not friggin with it again haha.

• Thanks 1

Ping G410 Driver

TM 200 Steel 3W

Lynx Parallax 3-SW

Ping Eye 2 SW

Nike VR Forged 60

Maltby PTM 1