The 'New Technology' Con

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

does anybody feel like me?   Ping Heppler going back to smooth faces.   Now Odyssey going back to the White Hot insert.   Yet each year we are told the new technology wil

Drivers - yes there is a difference from 5-10 years ago but you can go grab a G400 LST from 2017 and you wouldn't know if a blind test from 2021 drivers. You might gain a yard over the season.  

Settle down!!  There are 1000's of engineers and marketing departments depending on us to "drink the Kool-Aid."   Putters have reached the same point as irons and wedges.  Lipstick and marke

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

Drivers - yes there is a difference from 5-10 years ago but you can go grab a G400 LST from 2017 and you wouldn't know if a blind test from 2021 drivers. You might gain a yard over the season.

Fairways and Hybrids - Absolutely NOT. You can use a 10 year old one of these and no difference. All about hitting a number and being comfortable. 

Irons - NO. I could bag some hogan Apex and still shoot under par.

Wedges - NO SM4 are GOAT

Putter - Tiger has been using the elder wand for how long? 

We've been sold down the river. Flat out. I could shoot very good scores with a selection of clubs from 2001-2021. 

I'd take this further and say that if there are any improvements in driver they're so tiny as to be meaningless. Crossfield did a load of tests on older drivers back in the summer lockdown over here.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

I'd take this further and say that if there are any improvements in driver they're so tiny as to be meaningless. Crossfield did a load of tests on older drivers back in the summer lockdown over here.

Personally, going from say the 915 D2 I had a couple of years ago to 2019 and now 2020 driver I do think there is something in the higher launch/lower spin that can add you 10+ yards. That does make a difference strokes gained wise. I think the biggest jump in equipment has been in drivers for sure. 

Callaway Mavrik SZ 8* Rogue White 130MSI 70x | Ventus Black 6x

Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* Rogue White 130MSI 80x | Ventus Blue 7x

Taylormade Sim UDI 2i Hzrdus Handcrafted Black 105x

Callaway Tour Issue Apex 2019 Hybrid @ 19* Veylix Rome 988X

Srixon z745 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Taylormade MG2 51* SB, 56* TW Grind, 60* TW Grind Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Odyssey WH Pro #7 | Byron Morgan DH89 34.75/70*/2*

Srixon Z-Star XV

Ping Hoofer

I think you're right that YoY there's no meaningful improvement, and that they mainly release new clubs to keep the sales cycle going. Why would you want new clubs when then the current model is the same one that was released 3 years ago? With that said, long term those changes do seem to add up. It's probably not significant but it's measurable. 

Considering all the limitations imposed on clubhead design, both natural and self-imposed, we're probably close to the end of any significant improvements going forward, assuming nothing else changes. I'm not sure that matters too much though because it seems a lot of people simply buy new clubs because they want new clubs, and that's OK.

59 minutes ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

Fairways and Hybrids - Absolutely NOT. You can use a 10 year old one of these and no difference. All about hitting a number and being comfortable. 

Irons - NO. I could bag some hogan Apex and still shoot under par.

Upgraded from my Ping G5 hybrid to a Mizuno CLK purely for the flatter lie angle.

Upgraded from my MX-23s to JPX 850F last year purely because I wanted shiny new(ish) sticks.

No kidding myself about magical improvements, and these were 10+ year jumps in equipment advancement...but the JPXs do get up better on thin strikes.

I swear the marketing departments of the major OEMs must be the most creative bunch of people in the world.  I tip my hat to those who can repackage the wheel every year and convince people that it's cutting edge technology on putters, wedges, and drivers.

• Like 3

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
1999 Ben Hogan Apex Blades (3-PW) with stock Apex 4 Steel Shafts
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
Taylormade ATV wedges in 54 and 58 degrees with stock steel shafts
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

The "Technology" is in the fit...I think it is easier to find a good to optimal fit in all clubs almost off the rack because of the adjustability, shaft options and spin management (low and high) from irons is what makes today's clubs seem better. Someone who has a solid swing probably doesn't notice a big difference, but those of us who are managing with less-than optimal delivery to the ball can really benefit from the adjustability and shaft variations. 

• Like 2

agree...but I still 'want'.

• Like 2

Driver (9.0) - Cobra F9 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (15) - Exotics EX10 Aldila Rougue Silver 70S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

4 hours ago, cgasucks said:

I swear the marketing departments of the major OEMs must be the most creative bunch of people in the world.  I tip my hat to those who can repackage the wheel every year and convince people that it's cutting edge technology on putters, wedges, and drivers.

Having had to come up with marketing verbal diarrhea for golf products, you soon think you are Tommy Flanagan from SNL.

Edited by Socrates
  • Like 2

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
TM R7 TP 3i Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

I just switched out all of my metals, driver, 4w, 4,5,6,7 hybrids from xhot to Mavrik and wondering if I should have just stuck with the xhots. I am wondering if I will see and significant differences? I did in my wallet though.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

10 hours ago, hybrid25 said:

I just switched out all of my metals, driver, 4w, 4,5,6,7 hybrids from xhot to Mavrik and wondering if I should have just stuck with the xhots. I am wondering if I will see and significant differences? I did in my wallet though.

You wont see a significant difference, but at least they're nice and shiny. 

I just bought a set of 32 year old irons to see if they'll push out my 21 year old irons. We all gas.

One thing for sure, Callaway sure likes putting out new equipment often enough. Just when you think you have the latest and greatest, they issue a new line of 'long and forgiving' clubs. Now Callaway has a new Epic line coming out for '21.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

This con is exactly why I bought used, older clubs when I upgraded the entire bag last summer after starting off with 15 year old hand me downs. Saved myself around $2k by buying used “older” technology that fit my specs perfectly. Took longer and I had to do some work but worth it for the performance at a cheaper cost. 

• Like 1

I think many golfers enjoy the aspect of having the 'latest and greatest' over actually playing the game. When new equipment is coming out, many commit to purchasing before they even try the clubs. Especially these days, with internet propaganda, people are too influenced by what the media says. It's like when a new line of equipment comes out the previous doesn't work anymore.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

On 1/15/2021 at 8:36 AM, manxytag said:

does anybody feel like me?

Ping Heppler going back to smooth faces.

Now Odyssey going back to the White Hot insert.

Yet each year we are told the new technology will make you better.

I believe we are all being conned and all the designers are doing is making the new clubs look better.

Drivers are designed to look good on the bottom purely for when they are on a rack in a shop.

Each year they make small adjustments which makes all the difference and the prices just keep going up and up.

😄😄😄

You forgot to mention soft, extra soft...no wait...firmer golf balls. 

The only driver tech that can increase at this point is MOI and aerodynamics. The faces are maxed out to the legal limit and have been for years. The marketing gimmick that the shape of the driver will make any noticeable difference in distance because you will swing it faster is absurd and just shows that they really have run out of things to do.

• Like 1

DRIVER:    Ping G410 Plus 10.5º (9.5º) / Tensei CK Orange 60

3 WOOD:    Titleist 917F2 15º / Diamana S+ Blue 70

HYBRID:    TaylorMade RBZ Rescue 19º / KBS Hybrid 80

4 IRON:    Titleist 716 AP1 (22º) / KBS Tour V90

IRONS:    Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5-PW / SteelFiber i95

WEDGES:    Titleist SM6 48ª, SM7 52º, TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe 58º

PUTTER:    Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

BALL:    Titleist ProV1

3 minutes ago, codeman said:

The only driver tech that can increase at this point is MOI and aerodynamics. The faces are maxed out to the legal limit and have been for years. The marketing gimmick that the shape of the driver will make any noticeable difference in distance because you will swing it faster is absurd and just shows that they really have run out of things to do.

Your comment contradicts itself. Improving aerodynamics means altering the head shape to help you create less drag, or swing faster. 

I agree with the rest though. The only thing they can do is increase the stability like Ping as been doing, and expand the “sweet spot” across more of the face. 

• Like 2

TSi3 9* / Ventus Black 6x

TSi2 16.5* / Ventus Black 8x

TSi2 21* / Ventus Red 9x

T100•s 4-9 / DG X7

SM8 46 / DG X7

SM8 50, 54, 58 / DG TI X1

One and Done / Stability

2 minutes ago, MPAndreassi said:

Your comment contradicts itself. Improving aerodynamics means altering the head shape to help you create less drag, or swing faster. 

I agree with the rest though. The only thing they can do is increase the stability like Ping as been doing, and expand the “sweet spot” across more of the face. 

I see your point, I wrote that poorly. I meant it as in aerodynamics and MOI are the only things companies can really change in new releases. That being said, I don't believe aerodynamics make any significant difference in actual golf results. Engineering tests showing that a driver is more aerodynamic, which I'd imagine they do, won't make you play better golf in my opinion.

• Like 1

DRIVER:    Ping G410 Plus 10.5º (9.5º) / Tensei CK Orange 60

3 WOOD:    Titleist 917F2 15º / Diamana S+ Blue 70

HYBRID:    TaylorMade RBZ Rescue 19º / KBS Hybrid 80

4 IRON:    Titleist 716 AP1 (22º) / KBS Tour V90

IRONS:    Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5-PW / SteelFiber i95

WEDGES:    Titleist SM6 48ª, SM7 52º, TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe 58º

PUTTER:    Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

BALL:    Titleist ProV1

u1yd82osxwb61.jpg

Came across this infographic somewhere on the Internet and thought it was interesting:  I'm just some church-league scrambler, weekend hacker, and those are awfully darn close to my stock yardages with my modern clubs.  Now, granted, this is comparing across 70+ years of history and product development, but it's a fascinating thought experiment to look at where the point of diminishing returns is for equipment:  Is a driver today different than a driver from 5 years ago?  What about 10?  20?  30?

• Like 2

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Ping Zing BeCU Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

Bridgestone e6, Noodle Neon, or Titleist TruSoft balls

Various trinkets, ball markers, and white wooden tees

3 hours ago, codeman said:

Tell this to Callaway. 

• Like 1

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

4 hours ago, HappyGilmoresBoots said:

u1yd82osxwb61.jpg

Came across this infographic somewhere on the Internet and thought it was interesting:  I'm just some church-league scrambler, weekend hacker, and those are awfully darn close to my stock yardages with my modern clubs.  Now, granted, this is comparing across 70+ years of history and product development, but it's a fascinating thought experiment to look at where the point of diminishing returns is for equipment:  Is a driver today different than a driver from 5 years ago?  What about 10?  20?  30?

Hogan was interested in accuracy rather than hitting it anywhere near his maximum distance. He was just as accurate with every club in his bag so distance didn't matter much. Also his irons were at least 2 clubs weaker than modern irons. 

The-Shawshank-Redemption-Script.jpg

Want more posters to read and reply ? "[EMBRACE] THE LINE BREAK"

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9.0 Tour AD TP-6 Stiff

Ping G400 hybrid, 19*, 70 gr Stock Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, 60, DGS300

Vokey SM8 56/08 (Thanks WRX !!!)

Seemore MT7 Face Balanced (Today)

Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black