2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Was a flat-faced Driver ever made?

Barfolomew

I really want to try a flat-faced Driver.  Was a modern 460 sized one ever made? I never heard of one... did anyone make a prototype for fun? 

I know the curved face offers a trampoline effect for distance but I think it reeks havoc on accuracy as all know plenty about, even for the best!

But I'm no scientist i dont know the yardage lost by a flat face but it might be worth the trade off if you could find the fairway a lot more..... some even play a 3 wood cause they cant control a driver. 

I personally love driver and hit hard but think I could get a flat faced one out far enough to play lol but obviously got nothin to base that on...  I still got 2 spots left in my bag maybe I could play 2 drivers like Phil one for bombs and one for accuracy.

Edited by Barfolomew

Can't figure how to like my own posts

The bulge and roll on driver clubfaces is a design feature that counters gear effect.  It actually helps the ball maintain the intended flight on a slightly mishit shot.

• Like 4

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 8.5° A-1 setting Graphite Design YS-6+ 65g stiff

Wood:  Titleist 980F 17° Aldila NV stiff

Hybrid: Titleist 909H 21° Aldila Voodoo stiff 

Irons:  Titleist 716 AP2 4- W  DG AMT S300

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7  54°,  58° DG S200

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot #1 Tour

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

Someone made a flat-faced driver when metal woods were bumping out persimmon. Can't remember what company it was.

Also, I stumbled across this 1999 patent application for a Flat-Faced Driver.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

23 minutes ago, GodSpeed said:

I would think face curvature also helps with clubhead speed and face spring (which in turn helps ball speed)?

Personally I would think a convex face would resist deforming and springing forward more than a flat face would but

Whether it does or not is irrelevant since there are limits on how fast the ball can come off the face - and everybody's reached it for quite a while now,,,,,,,,,,

Edited by nsxguy

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I think with how thin the face metal is, you are going to get some flex no matter the face shape. With a convex face, the inward flex isn't pulling the face metal - it is compressing it towards the edges of the face. A flat face flex would pull the metal into the driver head as it flexes, stretching it in a sense, and would be more prone to metal fatigue/cracks? I'm only assuming here lol 

Edited by GodSpeed

Tom Wishon drivers have bulge but almost no roll. 

"Wishon Golf demonstrated the technical knowledge and the courage to deviate from more than 100 years of tradition in woodhead face design to depart from the old dimensions of vertical roll radius and replace that with a unique vertical face design that ensures more consistent loft up and down the face while still generating the proper vertical gear effect necessary to achieve a preferable ball flight shape without excessive spin.

As driver heads grew from 200cc to 460cc between 1990 and 2005, driver face heights increased from an average of 1.5″ (39mm) to an average of 2.2″ (55mm) up to as much as 2.4″ (60mm). During this increase in head volume and face height the traditional vertical roll radius of 10” or 12” continued.  When face height increases by some 40%, using the same vertical face radius causes the loft of the driver to be as much as 3 degrees lower on the bottom of the face and 3 degrees higher on the top of the face.

To achieve a consistent launch angle with such taller face drivers using the same vertical roll radius that was first established for far smaller face heights, golfers have to develop the skill to hit the ball in an area the size of the head of a thumbtack.  Wishon Golf’s original Graduated Roll Technology (GRT) vertical face design incorporated a 0 roll vertically flat face over the bottom 2/3’s of the face height while transitioning to a 14” vertical radius for the upper third of the face.  The result was a driver retained its designed loft over the bottom 2/3’s of the face while only experiencing a +1 to +1.5 degree increase in loft on the top third of the face.  This meant impacts anywhere on the lower 2/3’s of the face took off with virtually the same launch angle and spin while shots hit higher off the face only increased slightly in launch angle while retaining the vertical gear effect necessary to achieve a penetrating shot shape without excessive spin.

Later Wishon modified the original GRT specs to be a consistent 20” vertical roll radius because the original flat lower and radiused upper face design proved too difficult to maintain the level of consistency required.  But the 20” vertical radius still achieves the same goal of preventing the loft from being too low on the bottom and too high on the top half of the face to offer more consistent launch and spin.  The 20” vertical radius continues to be used on every Wishon Golf brand driver. iv widget"

firsts_image004.gif

Edited by 03trdblack
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, Krt22 said:

Bingo. TMs twist face further exaggerates it by adding in some vertical element 

It's not just a vertical element, the face also opens more at the toe and closes more at the heel, to help create better directional results on heel/toe mishits.

It seems the bulge applied to modern metal driver clubfaces didn't quite mesh with the CG locations as well as what we saw with persimmon drivers.  Toe draws were farther left (with apologies to my lefty brothers/sisters), and heel fades finished farther right than commonly seen with persimmon.  Twist face is the TM version of an attempt to counter that.

I've only experienced it personally with my Original One, haven't hit the M3 and forward drivers.  It seems to certainly work with the OO, such as I've seen on my unintentional experiments with toe hits.  😉

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Yep, long time back flat face drivers were made, as were drivers without face lines.  Don't recall the company names, however.  Whether you can benefit from it, probably not, but it depends on your swing mechanics, ball striking skills and athleticism. 

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

The Wishon drivers sound real interesting..... I agree about the thumbtack size strike zone is too small for consistency.... prob why I started this thread!

If a perfectly flat driver head wont work then the least amount of curvature would be what I would want in a driver's face.... cause driving is tough enough already

Edited by Barfolomew

35 minutes ago, Barfolomew said:

The Wishon drivers sound real interesting..... I agree about the thumbtack size strike zone is too small for consistency.... prob why I started this thread!

If a perfectly flat driver head wont work then the least amount of curvature would be what I would want in a driver's face.... cause driving is tough enough already

But I’m not sure why you’re convinced this aspect hurts you. While there are people that claim twist face hurts them, I’m not sure it’s been proven and bulge and roll help golfers not hurt them. You could theoretically take it too far and we could debate that but your primary conclusion about the face being curved for distance while harming accuracy is fundamentally wrong 

36 minutes ago, pinhigh27 said:

But I’m not sure why you’re convinced this aspect hurts you. While there are people that claim twist face hurts them, I’m not sure it’s been proven and bulge and roll help golfers not hurt them. You could theoretically take it too far and we could debate that but your primary conclusion about the face being curved for distance while harming accuracy is fundamentally wrong 

Maybe but I wanna try it!  What if it's way more accurate... i hit hard enough to give up some distance for accuracy

If the center of gravity is moved close enough to the face then the need for bulge to compensate for gear effect becomes negligible.  I believe that Gerry Hogan built such a driver at some point. 

LOL I built a persimmon driver with a flat face many years ago as an experiment.  It was basically useless as any hit that was towards the toe hooked massively and anything off the heel sliced off the planet.   

• Like 2

On 1/23/2021 at 3:31 PM, Pepperturbo said:

Yep, long time back flat face drivers were made, as were drivers without face lines.  Don't recall the company names, however.  Whether you can benefit from it, probably not, but it depends on your swing mechanics, ball striking skills and athleticism. 

Cubic Balance made some like that.

• Like 2

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

1 hour ago, Barfolomew said:

Maybe but I wanna try it!  What if it's way more accurate... i hit hard enough to give up some distance for accuracy

Again idk why you think bulge and roll has anything to do with the elasticity of the face. It doesn't make the club any "hotter" or better for dsitance.

The whole point is it helps you on your mishits. See the above examples of how a toed shot would hook into oblivion or a heeled shot will slice into oblivion. That is what will happen. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rgk5 said:

Cubic Balance made some like that.

Yep, and if I recall - Jim Dent played that driver.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

12 hours ago, Barfolomew said:

In all honesty if it was way more accurate someone would have been making it in the last 50yrs

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

12 hours ago, pinhigh27 said:

Again idk why you think bulge and roll has anything to do with the elasticity of the face. It doesn't make the club any "hotter" or better for dsitance.

The whole point is it helps you on your mishits. See the above examples of how a toed shot would hook into oblivion or a heeled shot will slice into oblivion. That is what will happen. 

Yes the main point is to counter gear effect and that is what dictates the actual radius used in the design.   And assuming a half way decent swing with a bit of a off-center hit, the bulge and roll will always help, not hurt.   It's only if the player needs very certain compensations for other problems with delivery that the buldge and roll may hurt.  e.g.  there was a time where my biggest miss was an open faced, toe side miss.   In that case, more gear effect was helping to compensate for the open face aspect of the miss.   That was the time when the SLDR was my favorite driver.  Low MOI meant more gear effect and more help.

But that doesn't mean there can't also be some benefits as far as the elastic behavior of the face is concerned.   Think of the use of arches in buildings and bridges.  The curvature increases the ability to withstand the load (or forces of impact) without failure since it transfers some of the shear stresses into a compression stress (which most metals are better able to withstand).   So that in turn (in theory at least) can allow for thinner face designs and a higher COR over more area of the face.    Now whether there is potential for a measurable increase over a flat faced driver I couldn't say.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Barfolomew said:

What if it's way more accurate...

While you're at it try to get hold of some wedges and short irons with significant bulge and roll. I mean they might be way more accurate too.

At the end of the 19th century club makers started to move from concave faced long nose drivers and spoons to the woods that are a similar shape to those made today.  During the transition some woods were made with flat faces and some were made with bulge and roll, the latter being found to be the more accurate of the styles. For this reason they were called bulgers because the face bulged outwards.

If you are looking for manufacturers of straight faced woods from the transitional period Forgans of St Andrews or R. Simpson of Carnoustie would be a good place to start.  Although you may want to replace the hickory shaft with something more modern.  I would probably go with a Hzrdus smoke black.

4 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

Yes the main point is to counter gear effect and that is what dictates the actual radius used in the design.   And assuming a half way decent swing with a bit of a off-center hit, the bulge and roll will always help, not hurt.   It's only if the player needs very certain compensations for other problems with delivery that the buldge and roll may hurt.  e.g.  there was a time where my biggest miss was an open faced, toe side miss.   In that case, more gear effect was helping to compensate for the open face aspect of the miss.   That was the time when the SLDR was my favorite driver.  Low MOI meant more gear effect and more help.

But that doesn't mean there can't also be some benefits as far as the elastic behavior of the face is concerned.   Think of the use of arches in buildings and bridges.  The curvature increases the ability to withstand the load (or forces of impact) without failure since it transfers some of the shear stresses into a compression stress (which most metals are better able to withstand).   So that in turn (in theory at least) can allow for thinner face designs and a higher COR over more area of the face.    Now whether there is potential for a measurable increase over a flat faced driver I couldn't say.

I find myself disagreeing with your assessment of the SLDR driver and I will try to explain why.

My understanding:

Gear effect is directly related to the position of the center of gravity.  The club head rotates around the center of gravity on an off center hit so the farther back the COG the faster the face rotates on an off center hit producing more gear effect.  The SLDR had the COG forward towards the face which should mean less gear effect not more.  Also hi MOI should slow the rotation should it not?  The more the weight is centered the faster the rotation.  The old figure skater pulling her arms in example.

I have no problem being wrong on this one and if I am I would like to understand why!

1 minute ago, Nels55 said:

I find myself disagreeing with your assessment of the SLDR driver and I will try to explain why.

My understanding:

Gear effect is directly related to the position of the center of gravity.  The club head rotates around the center of gravity on an off center hit so the farther back the COG the faster the face rotates on an off center hit producing more gear effect.  The SLDR had the COG forward towards the face which should mean less gear effect not more.  Also hi MOI should slow the rotation should it not?  The more the weight is centered the faster the rotation.  The old figure skater pulling her arms in example.

I have no problem being wrong on this one and if I am I would like to understand why!

The farther back CG creates a higher MOI of the clubhead, reducing twisting on the off center hit.  Forward CG will create a lower MOI, which allows more twisting.

Hence, the greater distance loss from misses.  

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

27 minutes ago, Nels55 said:

My understanding:

Rate of rotation (angular acceleration) is determined by the MOI of the head, not the forward and back nature of the c.g. location.

But the c.g. location is what determines the radius for the gear in the gear effect

So in theory a more forward c.g. would technically contribute to less gear effect because of the smaller gear radius (If the MOI was the same).  That's why irons have little to no gear effect.  But the reality is that the the difference in that c.g. location among the different drivers is very small compared to the distance to the face (~4mm).  So the larger differences in the MOI among different drivers becomes the much more dominant factor in how much gear effect will be generated.

Edited by Stuart_G

7 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

Rate of rotation (angular acceleration) is determined by the MOI of the head, not the c.g. location.

But the c.g. location is what determines the radius for the gear in the gear effect.

So while in theory a more forward c.g. would technically contribute to less gear effect because of the smaller gear radius (If the MOI was the same) the reality is that the the difference in that c.g. location among the different drivers is very small (~4mm) and the much larger differences in the MOI becomes a significantly more dominant factor in how much gear effect will be generated.

I think we agree on this:

The radius is a direct factor in determining the amount of gear effect.  The farther back the COG the faster the face rotates on an off center hit producing more spin which is why irons do not have a need for face bulge while woods do.

Here is where I think that we may disagree:

Higher MOI means more resistance to twisting which means less gear effect not more.

Then why did Tom Wishon lessen the amount of roll on his driver faces......... looking for optimum amount.

Guess thing is I've played every racket or bat type sport at a decent level too lol: Tennis, ping pong, squash, badminton, racquetball, field hockey, baseball, softball, cricket (might have slight curve been a while since school) etc.... point is they have flat faces and its easy to control where you hit the ball then there's this sport golf where everyone sprays all the time with driver including pros and just thought I would love to see what a flat-faced driver would do in real life not hypothetically... but a girl can only dream lol

Tom's face designs reduce the gear effect on the low / high strikes.

OEMs will follow him any fiscal quarter now.

My unscientific observations are the trajectory is more consistent as well.

Club Fitter/Builder (Wishon)

719MW  11* Red R Shaft - 919THI 11* Black S 65 shaft 
EQ1-NX 3, 927HS 5, 7 woods Red R-Flex
797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaft 
585's, EQ1-NX, 550 combo, 575's, 565's various shafts
20+ wedges!

Wishon Cavity Black CB4 putter

Willy, Bridgy, Srixy Balls

16 hours ago, Nels55 said:

I think we agree on this:

The radius is a direct factor in determining the amount of gear effect.  The farther back the COG the faster the face rotates on an off center hit producing more spin which is why irons do not have a need for face bulge while woods do.

There is a subtle difference.   The further back the c.g. the less the gear effect and it's not because the rate of rotation changes.  Again, c.g. location does factor into the amount of gear effect but it does not effect the rate of rotation of the head.

16 hours ago, Nels55 said:

Here is where I think that we may disagree:

Higher MOI means more resistance to twisting which means less gear effect not more.

I never said higher MOI meant more gear effect.   I only said: "the MOI becomes a significantly more dominant factor in how much gear effect will be generated. "

Basically in the case of comparing gear effect for different drivers that only means,  forget the c.g. location, you only need to pay attention to MOI.

• Like 1