Private Club Membership Base: Are they generally serial complainers ...

I've been a member of a nice course for a little over a year now and overall had a pleasant time.

The course is in good shape, the practice facility is nice, and they're in the process of redoing the putting green (done in July) and the fairways

the following year. The clubhouse could use improvements, maybe the food and beverage (it's a golf club who really joins for the food), and I will admit

we are overcrowded due to Covid but what course hasn't seen a boom in members.

All things said, our members complain like whiny B@#%@$%#@ every day and honestly it's starting to affect my experience at the club.

Just curious if most golf courses have pain in the a** membership bases or this is just unique to my club because I can't go a day

without someone complaining that XYZ is wrong with the club. What I always say is "if it's so bad go somewhere else" and of course right on schedule

you see the same M@$%@$%@ show up to the club only to complain about the same S@$%@$ like clockwork.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* GD AD-DI 8X

Taylormade Sim Ti 15* UST Lin-Q 8F5

PXG 0311X HZRDUS 105 TX

Ping Blueprint S 4-5 KBS Tour V 120X

Ping Blueprint T 6-PW KBS Tour V 120X

Titleist SM10 52F/56F/60T KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S
Taylormade Spyder Aluminum Face

Every club is going to have complainers. My issues lie with the ones who complain about nonsense. We’re a budget friendly club, with the whole emphasis on the golf course. Our club house/bar/restaurant is dated, but that’s kind of the charm of the place. The golf course is always in great shape, greens are perfect, bunkers need some loving but they’re a hazard anyway. Golf is what our club is about, and as far as golf goes we have little to complain about. However, there’s some undergrowth by the trees that line the parking lot. We got into a discussion about it yesterday and how much of an issue it is for some people really surprised. We don’t have a huge maintenance crew, less than 10 people, and the course is seeing record rounds of golf. They can’t afford to take time off from the golf course to work on little things, and that’s okay with me as a golfer. I couldnt care less what the visual presentation of our parking lot is, but I do have an issue if the bunkers aren’t raked every morning. 

• Like 1

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

He who pays the piper names the tune.  Many people feel because they pay dues they have the right to complain.  As a result...many folks from many walks of life become immediate experts in the areas of golf course maintenance, golf operations, and food and beverage without ever having any training or experience.

• Like 4

I've had somewhat similar experiences at my current club as well as others I've been a member of over the years. I think it's basically just a grass is always greener (pun intended) sort of thing. People like to complain that the course could be in better shape even when it's close to perfect. However, at the end of the day most of the members were more than happy. You just hear the complainers the most because those tend to be the loudest people. 

Edited by Abh159

Happens in all walks of life.

People move here from the north and immediately start trying to change the area into what they left.  I have to ask, if it was so much better where you were from, why did you leave?

In the vein of a golf club, if this place is so bad, A) what are you doing to make it better or B) when are you going to leave?

People is it because of the people you hang with ???  I can't say that I've never hear about club complaints but that's not typical and not very often.

What's in my Ping Pioneer Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 S-Flex

Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
Ping G400 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex

Callaway Apex CF16 7-PW, UST Recoil 660 F3 R-Flex

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64˚ Wedge, Recoil ES 760 F3

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

Callaway Chrome Soft #1 Lost Ball on Tour - Mark Crossfield

12 minutes ago, ClarkGrswld4 said:

A lot of these people have what I call the better club syndrome as well. In their minds, they should be members of a more exclusive/better club in the area but can't afford to be, so whining and moaning about everything strokes their own ego to make them feel important.

Exactly this! The worst part is some of them are also part of extremely exclusive clubs and choose to hang out at this club instead ... and still complain about the amenities.

6 minutes ago, 2Bad4u said:

People is it because of the people you hang with ???  I can't say that I've never hear about club complaints but that's not typical and not very often.

I hope this is an anomaly, been debating leaving and joining another golf club tbh, I hate when people disrespect the staff when most issues are fickle at best.

Edited by Teekman

PXG 0311X HZRDUS 105 TX

Not a member of any club, however one day was invited to play a private club with a friend.  One of the members came in to the pro shop and made a huge scene complaining about a difficult pin placement to the pro shop attendant.  It got to the point where he just kept raising his voice so everybody took notice.  Employee apologized and sat there and took the verbal abuse over something he had no control over.  

1 minute ago, bvmagic said:

Not a member of any club, however one day was invited to play a private club with a friend.  One of the members came in to the pro shop and made a huge scene complaining about a difficult pin placement to the pro shop attendant.  It got to the point where he just kept raising his voice so everybody took notice.  Employee apologized and sat there and took the verbal abuse over something he had no control over.  

Lol this actually happened a few days ago to one of our Golf Staff. We had a tournament being played and had to move some tee markers and one of our members made a big scene how it was such a huge inconvenience ... like dude there are plates on every tee box ... and the guy bitched out the assistant and proceeded to bring the issue to the GM like it was the end of his life.

PXG 0311X HZRDUS 105 TX

17 minutes ago, Teekman said:

Lol this actually happened a few days ago to one of our Golf Staff. We had a tournament being played and had to move some tee markers and one of our members made a big scene how it was such a huge inconvenience ... like dude there are plates on every tee box ... and the guy bitched out the assistant and proceeded to bring the issue to the GM like it was the end of his life.

I used to work at a private club in college, doesn't take long to know which members are the complainers.  However I never experienced any type of scolding like that kid at the pro shop did that day over the pin.  I have no doubt that was not the first or last time that member acted that way towards the employees.  

In general yes, most consider themselves owners of the club at the private level. For me I complain more than I used to mainly because I have put in a lot of effort to get things better at my club. I was recently in charge of the greens committee that over saw the complete remodel of our greens. We helped raise the money and hired contractor and spend a lot of time and effort making sure the project was a success. So, for me I feel very connected to the health and well being of our greens. I say this only to add a different perspective on some complaining at private clubs. Over the 20+ years at my club I have been involved in or in charge of several projects to improve the course, as have several of our members at the course. The ones that bother me the most are the ones that don't get involved and are unwilling to help but love to complain. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

1 hour ago, bvmagic said:

We had one of these situations a couple years ago.

They put the pin right on the slope of one of our greens. It was a comically bad placement. We just laughed it off and stopped putting after the third ball came back to our feet.

As I was making the turn there was one of our older lady members giving whoever was in the proshop at the time a piece of her mind.

I sent a text to a buddy of mine who was going to be playing later as a warning but by the time he played they had actually gone out and moved the hole location.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

very different experience; 99.9% of the members of a private club which I've been part of or affiliated with through other members are very humbled and thankful to be part of the club and treat staff as if it's their own family.  disheartening to hear if it's true at certain part of the country.  people need to just be kinder in general.  

• Like 2

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

3 hours ago, sethdavidsdad said:

In general yes, most consider themselves owners of the club at the private level. For me I complain more than I used to mainly because I have put in a lot of effort to get things better at my club. I was recently in charge of the greens committee that over saw the complete remodel of our greens. We helped raise the money and hired contractor and spend a lot of time and effort making sure the project was a success. So, for me I feel very connected to the health and well being of our greens. I say this only to add a different perspective on some complaining at private clubs. Over the 20+ years at my club I have been involved in or in charge of several projects to improve the course, as have several of our members at the course. The ones that bother me the most are the ones that don't get involved and are unwilling to help but love to complain. 

That makes sense.  I see that in manufacturing as well.  Someone will have a project or launch a line or be responsible for an area of the plant.  They'll get it humming and in good shape and be assigned to another project or area.  A few months or years go by and that area has been allowed to lapse.

I can also see it being justified if you are losing members and have taken the time to find out why people are leaving.  Perhaps its conditioning or pace of play, whatever.  Then when those issues are happening you sort of have grounds to make a stand on with those that have a role.  For conditioning it can be the greens staff if it is something in their control.  If it is pace of play, maybe the starter or Pro or guys setting the holes that day.  

No obvious outward complainers at my club.  That doesn't mean issues don't need to be addressed.  We just report to the head pro, superintendent, chef, or respective committee member. Right now the big issue (at least with me and other seniors that walk) is bringing the on-course benches and other outdoor seating back.  This isn't a club issue however but local health department rules.  My county is a bit crazy on many items.  

On 4/23/2021 at 9:01 AM, bvmagic said:

Where I have been the Director of Golf/Head Pro or the GM would have materialized very quickly.  The indignant member would be asked, "Why not step into my office and we can more fully address your complaint."  Once the door closed, the indignant member would be told his concerns and issues are welcome.  Creating a scene and berating any employee are not.  Get it straight and remember it.

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

On 4/23/2021 at 12:01 PM, bvmagic said:

I was a member of a club, and sometimes the holes were cut by guys that didn't play. Needless to say, there were a few in some very interesting places. I was usually the first off, and I'd go in the pro shop, and tell the pro that he might hear about the hole location on a certain hole. 

[Equity] clubs encourage members to think like 'owners' because...they are. At our club, there is non-stop banter that some might view as 'complaint', but it's really all in the service of making the club better. There is no 'better' club that any of us could join; we're just trying to make the club be the best that it can be.

To address another sidethread...none of these complaints would ever go to the staff. Ever. The club is run by member committee and you can only get anything done through these committees.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, raynorfan1 said:

[Equity] clubs encourage members to think like 'owners' because...they are. At our club, there is non-stop banter that some might view as 'complaint', but it's really all in the service of making the club better. There is no 'better' club that any of us could join; we're just trying to make the club be the best that it can be.

To address another sidethread...none of these complaints would ever go to the staff. Ever. The club is run by member committee and you can only get anything done through these committees.

That’s why I plan on joining an Equity Club next especially knowing everything I know now.

PXG 0311X HZRDUS 105 TX

On 4/26/2021 at 6:51 PM, raynorfan1 said:

Same at our club. I view it more as everyone wanting what is best for the club. 

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

I've been a member at a private club since 2018. The majority of the members are fine, but yes there are definitely some complainers. They complain about all sorts of things from bunker conditions, to food service being too slow, to the fact they hate that because of covid we have to use an online tee time system now (we used to never have tee times). 

One member in particular is probably the cream of the crop of complainers though. He complains about something pretty much every time I see him, but here's my favorite: Last summer we were in having breakfast before one of the tournaments. He sits down with us, and something lead him to start complaining that he got charged a $2 fee on a bill as kind of an "auto-tip" for the waitress because he "forgot" to write one on himself. "I shouldn't get auto-charged for that!" he said.  

I looked at him wide-eyed, and said "you drive a one hundred thousand dollar Mercedes, and you're bitching about a $2 charge?". I then thought to myself that the poor waitress that had to put up with him deserved a hell of a lot more than $2. 

• Like 3

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

On 4/22/2021 at 2:39 PM, Teekman said:

I've been a member of a nice course for a little over a year now and overall had a pleasant time.

The course is in good shape, the practice facility is nice, and they're in the process of redoing the putting green (done in July) and the fairways

the following year. The clubhouse could use improvements, maybe the food and beverage (it's a golf club who really joins for the food), and I will admit

we are overcrowded due to Covid but what course hasn't seen a boom in members.

All things said, our members complain like whiny B@#%@$%#@ every day and honestly it's starting to affect my experience at the club.

Just curious if most golf courses have pain in the a** membership bases or this is just unique to my club because I can't go a day

without someone complaining that XYZ is wrong with the club. What I always say is "if it's so bad go somewhere else" and of course right on schedule

you see the same M@$%@$%@ show up to the club only to complain about the same S@$%@$ like clockwork.

Most people that join inexpensive Golf Clubs (NOT Country Clubs) have no experience as private club members.  They suddenly think their opinion as to this or that should be heard by everyone.  IME, they are a pain to deal with because many of them have NEVER managed much more than their garage door opener and TV remote, but they think they know...  That type club tends to have high turn over too. Just the way that level of club culture functions.  Everyone wanting what is best for the club doesn't always create a pleasant environment.  I hope it gets better for you.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

1 hour ago, Roody said:

I've been a member at a private club since 2018. The majority of the members are fine, but yes there are definitely some complainers. They complain about all sorts of things from bunker conditions, to food service being too slow, to the fact they hate that because of covid we have to use an online tee time system now (we used to never have tee times). 

One member in particular is probably the cream of the crop of complainers though. He complains about something pretty much every time I see him, but here's my favorite: Last summer we were in having breakfast before one of the tournaments. He sits down with us, and something lead him to start complaining that he got charged a $2 fee on a bill as kind of an "auto-tip" for the waitress because he "forgot" to write one on himself. "I shouldn't get auto-charged for that!" he said.  

I looked at him wide-eyed, and said "you drive a one hundred thousand dollar Mercedes, and you're bitching about a $2 charge?". I then thought to myself that the poor waitress that had to put up with him deserved a hell of a lot more than $2. 

Never heard of auto tip.  That said during height of Covid our club went paperless for several months which meant you couldn't check your bill (I can't ever recall having any errors though), but also meant no tipping. Part of the health rules was no cash being handled between two or more parties. Plus with no receipt a tip couldn't be added there too - so staff went without. Some may have snuck in a tip but the communications were pretty clear about not breaking any health codes.  Every Christmas season we do have an automatic $100 charge added to our bill for the staff.  It may be higher this year to address lost tips.   

Years ago I was a guest at a nice Scottsdale AZ private club, which at the time had a $250k initiation. 

The course had about five comfort stations with really good selections of snacks (chocolate & granola bars, fruit, bottled water, fruit juices, potato chips & packaged cookies). 

When we got to the first station our caddie peered into it & was surprised to see some bags of potato chips.  He said that one member who played early in the morning was notorious for raiding all the potato chips every time he played, to the point that his powercart had potato chips in every space except on the roof.

Some people.

• Like 1