Generation 3 P790 in 2021?

Jaysakic19

On 9/7/2021 at 10:22 PM, Pearlwhites said:

Any reviews from someone who still games the gen 1 p790?

I have OG 2017 p790s and TM had a demo day at my club today. Originally I went to hit the 770 short irons as I was thinking about swapping out 8-9-P, but I also hit new 790 7 iron side by side with mine. I was way more impressed with the new 790 than I expected. Ball speed was up 2-3 mph, launch was up a degree, and spin was up a few hundred RPM which netted out to 3-5 extra yards. Shaft was the same DG105 s300 in the same length in both clubs. On best swings the difference was small, maybe 2 yards, but the average was better as the new 790s were much more consistent for me. Feel was better too but I think that is due to the new vibration dampener in the shaft. Overall, I did not pull the trigger (there goes my wrx card) but it was a tougher decision than I had expected. 

Also, the TM rep said they had plenty of 790 heads but orders could take a while depending on the shafts and grips. They are behind on 770 heads so those will take longer. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, mkirsh said:

I have OG 2017 p790s and TM had a demo day at my club today. Originally I went to hit the 770 short irons as I was thinking about swapping out 8-9-P, but I also hit new 790 7 iron side by side with mine. I was way more impressed with the new 790 than I expected. Ball speed was up 2-3 mph, launch was up a degree, and spin was up a few hundred RPM which netted out to 3-5 extra yards. Shaft was the same DG105 s300 in the same length in both clubs. On best swings the difference was small, maybe 2 yards, but the average was better as the new 790s were much more consistent for me. Feel was better too but I think that is due to the new vibration dampener in the shaft. Overall, I did not pull the trigger (there goes my wrx card) but it was a tougher decision than I had expected. 

Also, the TM rep said they had plenty of 790 heads but orders could take a while depending on the shafts and grips. They are behind on 770 heads so those will take longer. 

Yea this seems to be the case as I tried to order a combo set 5,6,7 (P790) and 8,9,P,G (P770) and found the Modus 105 shafts and 770 heads to be delated until December at best.

Ping G430 Max Driver
Callaway Paradym 3HL Fairway

Titleist TSR2 5 Fairway
Titleist U505 4
Titleist T200 5, T150 6, T100 7-GW
Mizuno T22 54D, 60X

Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser

Just an update on my clubs...got the dreaded 3rd email last week explaining my 3rd delay in my clubs and pushing them out to September 30th. I called Wednesday after the holiday weekend...we switched out the shafts to a comparable 120g shaft and I just got a shipping notice they will arrive at my house on Monday...I'm pumped.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Danjorams said:

Just an update on my clubs...got the dreaded 3rd email last week explaining my 3rd delay in my clubs and pushing them out to September 30th. I called Wednesday after the holiday weekend...we switched out the shafts to a comparable 120g shaft and I just got a shipping notice they will arrive at my house on Monday...I'm pumped.

When was your order date, and what shaft did you originally order and change to? My order with modus 3 120’s keeps getting delayed.

15 minutes ago, Bkinder3 said:

Happened to me last week, got stuck in Memphis because of the aftermath of the hurricane. Also what sucks is if you look at the tracking info, it says weekday delivery for restriction

only 2 of my last 5 pkgs from TM have met the 2 day delivery...

11 hours ago, Bogeyking21 said:

When was your order date, and what shaft did you originally order and change to? My order with modus 3 120’s keeps getting delayed.

My order date was June 29th. I originally had Project X 6.0 shafts and they kept getting delayed...on Wednesday I switch to KBS Tour Stiff flex which are pretty comparable when I hit the two different shafts at my fitting back in May on the P770s. TM customer service rep told me I delivery of this coming Wednesday but I just checked FedEx tracking and it is in transit and I should get them Monday.

• Like 1

Clubs arrived today. They are very nice looking. Only issue I have is that I order .75 over standard and they sent me standard length. I will be calling on Monday. Good thing I still have my JPX 921 tours to use. 

Edited by jdvela55

TM Sim 2 9º

Cobra Speedzone 3w
TM Sim 5w

TM 9790 Irons
TM Spider X Putter
Vokey SM8 50º, 54º, 58º

1 hour ago, jdvela55 said:

Clubs arrived today. They are very nice looking. Only issue I have is that I order .75 over standard and they sent me standard length. I will be calling on Monday. Good thing I still have my JPX 921 tours to use. 

Just a heads up. Std mizuno is little longer than std TM.

if you order .75 over then you should contact TM. Be prepared to go back and forth a lot. I ordered 2 wedges couple months ago, it came short than std length. I emailed TM CS it took forever to convince my clubs are shorter than std. 

3 hours ago, Kuk said:

Just a heads up. Std mizuno is little longer than std TM.

if you order .75 over then you should contact TM. Be prepared to go back and forth a lot. I ordered 2 wedges couple months ago, it came short than std length. I emailed TM CS it took forever to convince my clubs are shorter than std. 

I already knew this. I play 1/2” over hence the 3/4” over. I have my documentation. On the PO it says length standard. My actual order that i have an email says .75

TM Sim 2 9º

Cobra Speedzone 3w
TM Sim 5w

TM 9790 Irons
TM Spider X Putter
Vokey SM8 50º, 54º, 58º

Saw these in person for first time today.  If they could bevel the top line just a little bit, these would be perfect.   I love the look of (lack thereof) offset.  I like the finish.   I love the size.  Just a tad chunky on top line but could play it no problem.   I want to hit them now against my 921F

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

7 hours ago, TiScape said:

Mizuno 921 Tour and the new TM 790 are the same standard length. 

BD81788B-0CE0-4471-B29A-D2799B1B88BD.jpeg

65E70419-2488-46C6-B4BC-83AE423B7946.jpeg

I just found this out yesterday speaking with customer service and was surprised since the last model was .25" shorter.  Taylormade is stepping up though and is going to make my order correct.  They sent me an overnight label and are going to entirely reshaft my 790s with the same shaft but correct lengths as I originally ordered.  For the trouble they also shipped me out a free dozen TP5x balls.  

• Like 4

TM Sim 2 9º

Cobra Speedzone 3w
TM Sim 5w

TM 9790 Irons
TM Spider X Putter
Vokey SM8 50º, 54º, 58º

6 hours ago, Danjorams said:

I received my clubs yesterday afternoon and they are nicer looking in person than in pics...I am going to go swing these tonight after work. I hope they play as well as they look and as well as I hit the older model during my fitting. I received them just in time for my golf trip. Pumped.

Glad you got them, I'm 4 rounds in and absolutely love them. I am really liking the DS 105 w/vss, just a super smooth shaft to swing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

Glad you got them, I'm 4 rounds in and absolutely love them. I am really liking the DS 105 w/vss, just a super smooth shaft to swing. 

Any chance you or someone else who has the DG 105s could give a bit of a breakdown on how they perform and comparison to other shafts you've used before? 

I typically use Project X LZ 6.0, but those are back-ordered well into next year, so I'm thinking about other options. I love that PX LZ feeling of a stiffer handle/butt, soft middle that kicks hard and stiff tip; doesn't seem like there are many other shafts out there with a super-similar profile.

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

8 minutes ago, eric61 said:

Any chance you or someone else who has the DG 105s could give a bit of a breakdown on how they perform and comparison to other shafts you've used before? 

I typically use Project X LZ 6.0, but those are back-ordered well into next year, so I'm thinking about other options. I love that PX LZ feeling of a stiffer handle/butt, soft middle that kicks hard and stiff tip; doesn't seem like there are many other shafts out there with a super-similar profile.

I’d compare the new DG105 vss to something like the Modus Tour 105’s, very smooth throughout. If you’re a 6.0 in an LZ and thinking about the DG 105’s you may want to go X. When I played the LZ’s I had them in 5.5, I actually found them pretty smooth through the swing and not to stiff in the butt or tip section. The DG105’s are listed as medium flight and spin, for me they have a high flight and plenty of spin. My i210’s have the DG120’s and they are defiantly lower launching. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

I’d compare the new DG105 vss to something like the Modus Tour 105’s, very smooth throughout. If you’re a 6.0 in an LZ and thinking about the DG 105’s you may want to go X. When I played the LZ’s I had them in 5.5, I actually found them pretty smooth through the swing and not to stiff in the butt or tip section. The DG105’s are listed as medium flight and spin, for me they have a high flight and plenty of spin. My i210’s have the DG120’s and they are defiantly lower launching. 

Gotcha, good info, thank you!

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

Had two rounds now with my 21 UDI and it’s very easy and controlled off the tee, no harder to hit than my 19 4 or 5 iron but slightly nicer to look down on. Would say I’ve only hit 2 or 3 dead centre but it’s very forgiving on mishits. Not seen any of this monster low spin I heard of about the old one, although it is generally a lowish flight with a bit of run. Have hit it from fairway a couple of times too for a very controlled second shot on long par 5s. 

Tsr2 Kai-li white 60g

tsr2 16.5 tensei av raw white 75g

tsr2 20 degree, tensei av raw white 90g

T200/T150/T100 PX Lz

sm9 54.10S/60.4T

odyssey Toulon Daytona
Pro V1

curious, those who have these in hand, what are your distances per iron? Interested in the gapping y'all are seeing.  

My clubs are scheduled to get here tomorrow but they have been stuck in the Mojave desert since Sunday with no movement so who knows.  

Edited by PuttingOnAirs

On 9/14/2021 at 2:09 PM, Danjorams said:

I received my clubs yesterday afternoon and they are nicer looking in person than in pics...I am going to go swing these tonight after work. I hope they play as well as they look and as well as I hit the older model during my fitting. I received them just in time for my golf trip. Pumped.

bored waiting GIF

1 minute ago, TiScape said:

Yes. I just read here that Mizuno measures ‘grip off’. Which to me is ridiculous. Measure the club the way it’s gonna be played! Am I wrong??? 

They also might measure it 3/8" shorter than TM as they add that to the ground plane. According to the image in this thread, they measure to the grip end (where the shaft would end) but not the grip cap. TM's illustration shows them measuring to the grip cap. So a grip cap is roughly 1/8" usually? So Mizuno's system may normally be 1/4" shorter.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2021 at 11:32 AM, PuttingOnAirs said:

Maybe I just got a dud.  Won't write them off just yet, but for being my first interaction with TaylorMade at any significant level (first clubs/purchase from them), not a great start

Might have been a little abrasive but yeah that's totally a Fedex thing. When I messed up and mixed the zip code, Fedex couldn't deliver, and TM called me and sorted it all out. They've always been great. I think on this, you were better off calling Fedex than TM. Hopefully you have them by now.