Generation 3 P790 in 2021?

Jaysakic19

Are there still big delays/is the online customer configurator accurate? I configured a few options and I got a shipping date of Sept 12, 2021 which is only a few days out (seeing all the chatter currently this seems inaccurate). Only 1 option where I chose different grips showed a shipping date of Dec 2021.

Ping G430 Max Driver
Callaway Paradym 3HL Fairway

Titleist TSR2 5 Fairway
Titleist U505 4
Titleist T200 5, T150 6, T100 7-GW
Mizuno T22 54D, 60X

Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser

On 9/3/2021 at 7:40 PM, jwb10 said:

Not correct, they e-mailed me, directly, that many are jumping ahead as they didn't allocate for the actual special orders, just the stock orders. Why are you telling us and not TM ? And why didn't they say it when we ordered IN JUNE ! U r correct, the clubs are irrelevant, the bait and switch is not. They wanted the hype, the buzz, and they are using it to fuel sales of stock equipment. But they never told the poor fools who hang around sites like this that they would us their enthusiasm, take their orders with promises of "first" delivery and then just whine about the supply chain and inadequate planning. Enough excuses, it's a created cluster and it's about THEM and they got X NOW, our money and loyalty and their misleading marketing. If I did this in my business I'd be unemployed, and u want everyone to believe it's the way things will be. It isn't, and it won't be

On 9/3/2021 at 7:40 PM, jwb10 said:

Not correct, they e-mailed me, directly, that many are jumping ahead as they didn't allocate for the actual special orders, just the stock orders. Why are you telling us and not TM ? And why didn't they say it when we ordered IN JUNE ! U r correct, the clubs are irrelevant, the bait and switch is not. They wanted the hype, the buzz, and they are using it to fuel sales of stock equipment. But they never told the poor fools who hang around sites like this that they would us their enthusiasm, take their orders with promises of "first" delivery and then just whine about the supply chain and inadequate planning. Enough excuses, it's a created cluster and it's about THEM and they got X NOW, our money and loyalty and their misleading marketing. If I did this in my business I'd be unemployed, and u want everyone to believe it's the way things will be. It isn't, and it won't be

Wow!.....You sir obviously know a lot more than everyone in the golf industry, economics, supply and demand, marketing, importing and component manufacturing by 3rd parties.  Have a nice day!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Pearlwhites said:

Any reviews from someone who still games the gen 1 p790?

I was a 2017 P790 player, but I'm not coming directly from them.  I played very well with them (Recoil 110 F4 shafts) but found the dispersion in the shorter irons to be a little loose - mostly not hitting a lot of shots as close as I wanted.

I can't say 2021 P790 (now with Steelfiber i95 in Regular) has fixed that problem until I play quite a bit more.  Still, they have a very solid feel to them, which I'm sure has a lot to do with the shafts as well, and I really like the more matte finish.  They are by no means a forged feel, but they are definitely more solid feeling and sounding then my memories of the 2017 P790.

2021 P790 did nothing to offend me over the Labor Day weekend.  I really like the way they look and feel, but this is my first go with the Steelfibers so I need to get used to the shafts before I can genuinely say these are all time great irons.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade BRNR Mini, 11.5*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi 4i, Dart 90 S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Taylormade MyTP Juno Long Neck, 35"

FWIW....love the new P790s way more than new T200.  Shot 5 over on a tough course 11 days ago with my T100/Vokey setup.  Played same course swapping out to 790s/MG2 and shot the same score, but I needed a hole out on a par 4 from 130 to do it as I drove the ball worse!

There will be a lot of comparisons between P790 and T200, and here is what I found are the main differences:

- At address T200 looks thinner in the topline on short irons.  I didn't measure, but it probably is.  The P790 is just a bit chunky looking on top in 9i and PW, but not too bad.  But in the longer irons, the T200 looks much worse and you can see much more protrusion off the back based on the width of the club.  The P790 you do not even notice this.  Overall P790 much cleaner at address.

- Turf interaction.  Again, have not measured, but soles have to be wider on T200.  The long irons are just begging to be chunked.  P790 has great run through the turf, even through nasty kikuyu.

- The lofting gaps are so weird between these two sets.  I could deal quite easily with 2* stronger in P790 vs my T100 8 - PW where most shots happen, but 3* stronger in 6 and 7 were a little much.  Even if I clubbed down, the ball just came off hot on the P790 and I found myself at the back of green more than not.  Which is not necessarily a bad thing.  The good news is they spun nicely with Snell and didn't take some crazy hop off the back of the green.  They pretty much stayed where they landed, or even spun back a foot.  T200 just had lousy spin for me and really troubled to adjust for loft differences.  Ball flight was much less consistent.  

- Feel.  P790...easily.  Ball comes off hot, but not as clicky as T200.

With the new T100s on order but delays so who knows when I see them.  I may just stick the P790s in the interim and not the T100s.  Not sure...will see how next few rounds go and if the distances are still a lot of effort to dial in.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just got my 3rd round in this morning, shot a personal best, 75, on a tough course here in the Phoenix area. I'm a 8 handicap for reference, well I was an 8, haha. After some time on the range and this round I have really adjusted to the lighter DG 105 shaft compared to my DG 120's in the i210's. I was a full club to a club and a half longer than the Pings on the range and the course today. Love the ball flight, spin was great, nice stopping power. During my first 2 rounds I was pushing the short irons right for some reason, after focusing and putting a solid full swing with the 9-A irons the push went away. Great feel, great sound, I can't emphasize enough how much better these feel than the previous version. As for the forgiveness I had a good ball striking round today and actually hit the center of the face on just about every shot, completely shocked myself! 😉 

They are staying in the bag for the foreseeable future, although the i210's will be there if the 790's go wayward! 

16 hours ago, Kamen said:

Are there still big delays/is the online customer configurator accurate? I configured a few options and I got a shipping date of Sept 12, 2021 which is only a few days out (seeing all the chatter currently this seems inaccurate). Only 1 option where I chose different grips showed a shipping date of Dec 2021.

Not sure.  I placed an order through a fitter for 5-A with TT 105 VSS shafts and MCC4 grips on 8/24.  At that time, if I placed the order through TM's custom order site, it said 11/4 delivery due to the grips being available on 10/29, but the heads and shafts would be available 9/3.  Called the fitter to see if he got confirmation on the expected build time and the only thing he told me was that "when I placed the order, the rep didn't say anything about unusual delays."  Not exactly the type of answer I was looking for, but whatever...I was happy with the fitting, and the cost of the fitting is waived with the club purchase, so it's not like I'm going to cancel my order.

Today, when I enter in the same configuration, it says heads available 9/30, shafts available 11/11, and grips available 11/26 for a 12/3 overall ship date.  I'm hoping at worst my order was locked in for a 11/4 ship date, but I'm preparing myself that the worst case is still TBD and could be January for all I know. 

The 105 VSS shaft tested by far the best for whatever reason, so I'm sticking to it.  I use MCC grips on all my other clubs, so I'm just going to be patient and maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised with an earlier ship date.

5 minutes ago, LBB said:

Not sure.  I placed an order through a fitter for 5-A with TT 105 VSS shafts and MCC4 grips on 8/24.  At that time, if I placed the order through TM's custom order site, it said 11/4 delivery due to the grips being available on 10/29, but the heads and shafts would be available 9/3.  Called the fitter to see if he got confirmation on the expected build time and the only thing he told me was that "when I placed the order, the rep didn't say anything about unusual delays."  Not exactly the type of answer I was looking for, but whatever...I was happy with the fitting, and the cost of the fitting is waived with the club purchase, so it's not like I'm going to cancel my order.

Today, when I enter in the same configuration, it says heads available 9/30, shafts available 11/11, and grips available 11/26 for a 12/3 overall ship date.  I'm hoping at worst my order was locked in for a 11/4 ship date, but I'm preparing myself that the worst case is still TBD and could be January for all I know. 

The 105 VSS shaft tested by far the best for whatever reason, so I'm sticking to it.  I use MCC grips on all my other clubs, so I'm just going to be patient and maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised with an earlier ship date.

I use MCC grips as well. I just picked a grip that was in stock so I’d get them sooner and ordered MCC grips through Carl’s Golfland. Irons were delivered today

Edited by Bkinder3

26 minutes ago, LBB said:

Interesting. I saw a lot of stuff about the modus 105 being delayed but not according to the online configurator.  I'll think about combining a 790/770 set now. 

Ping G430 Max Driver
Callaway Paradym 3HL Fairway

Titleist TSR2 5 Fairway
Titleist U505 4
Titleist T200 5, T150 6, T100 7-GW
Mizuno T22 54D, 60X

Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser

I hit a bunch of demo 7 irons at GG today including the P790, i59, and ZX7.  The gen 3 feels similar to my gen 1.  The ZX7 was closest in feel and distance.  The i59 was a full club shorter, but more consistent with roll out.

I did have 3 flyers out of 20ish swings with the p790.  My miss was definitely less punishing, but the distance dispersion with decent swings was sketchy.  

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Kamen said:

Just some insight on my recent order experience:

Last Wednesday, 9/1  I ordered 4-PW with loft adjustments to the 4-8.  I went with the stock DG 105 VSS S300 shafts and golfpride Z grips, primarily because it showed all components would be in stock on 9/6 with an estimated ship date of 9/9. Every other variation I tried showed later dates. 

I’ve been checking my email and logging into my account several times a day anxiously looking for order updates.

On Tuesday, 9/7 I checked my CC statement and noticed the debits on my card, so I emailed TM customer service asking for an update. They responded today with the good news that my clubs have shipped! I was ecstatic and surprised to see that they shipped so quickly, especially given the Labor Day holiday. 

To answer your question, It does seem that the estimated dates are pretty accurate, but obviously things change daily so I understand any hesitation.  

FWIW, the status on my account still says “New” and I never received any email updates prior to reaching out. They are getting orders shipped faster than they can update customers on the status!

Very excited to receive them - right before I leave for my three day golf trip next weekend! 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Jeffster said:

Anyone experienced those fliers on approach with the gen 3? 

I never had inordinate flyers or unexpected distance with the 2017 P790's, and I also played the 2019 P790 long irons and never noticed anything strange.  Nothing strange to report after 3 rounds with 2021 P790's either.

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade BRNR Mini, 11.5*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi 4i, Dart 90 S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Taylormade MyTP Juno Long Neck, 35"

I played the one round with my set before moving them, and the distance was very consisent.  My biggest issue was the shorter irons didnt fly enought for me.  It's likely a shaft issue, but the fitting is only with a 7 iron so I had no way of knowing.  I didn't get on the sim to confirm, but the range session before my round I noticed these flew really high and possibly spun too much based on the apex.  I actually found the feel to be more like the P770 and not my favorite, but good shots with 7 or 5 iron i was very impressed with.  the wedge and gap wedge just didnt fly for me at all, and I would rather stick with my OG T200 at this point since I know the short irons work.  I found this set to be very forgiving on mid and long irons, but the short irons were wonky.  Kinda opposite of what I experienced with my current set where short irons are awesome, but long irons can be demanding.  Looking to try a set of Mizzy Hot Metal Pro as numbers on sim were excellent, and the IO shaft is free.  

16 hours ago, DeanYoungblood said:

Just some insight on my recent order experience:

Last Wednesday, 9/1  I ordered 4-PW with loft adjustments to the 4-8.  I went with the stock DG 105 VSS S300 shafts and golfpride Z grips, primarily because it showed all components would be in stock on 9/6 with an estimated ship date of 9/9. Every other variation I tried showed later dates. 

I’ve been checking my email and logging into my account several times a day anxiously looking for order updates.

On Tuesday, 9/7 I checked my CC statement and noticed the debits on my card, so I emailed TM customer service asking for an update. They responded today with the good news that my clubs have shipped! I was ecstatic and surprised to see that they shipped so quickly, especially given the Labor Day holiday. 

To answer your question, It does seem that the estimated dates are pretty accurate, but obviously things change daily so I understand any hesitation.  

FWIW, the status on my account still says “New” and I never received any email updates prior to reaching out. They are getting orders shipped faster than they can update customers on the status!

Very excited to receive them - right before I leave for my three day golf trip next weekend! 

Thanks for your feedback.  I called TM this morning and they confirmed that the dates on their custom order page should be accurate to what's in stock that day.  Called the fitter I placed my order through and told him to change to whatever stock grips they have in stock, and put them in the box uninstalled.  Just ordered the MCC4 grips I wanted online.  Hoping to have the set ready to play in a few weeks compared to mid November!

22 hours ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

Not in the 3 rounds I’ve played. Very consistent in terms of dispersion so far. This is one of the things I’m looking for after seeing this with the old versions. 

Thanks! What a relief. Those are the times you feel good because you flushed it but meh because it didn’t hold the green or worse didn’t even land on the green.

Is the size difference and top line very noticeable?

These irons are so nice...Saw them yesterday. I hit the P770s and wasn't that impressed especially with the feel. The P790 seem more in line with the Forged TECs i use now anyway.

One of the nicest looking non blades out there IMO

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

23 hours ago, PuttingOnAirs said:

order a stock set 4-PW+AW, stiff shaft on 7th afternoon.  Card charged today and per customer service shipping expected today or tomorrow for delivery early next week.

Selected 2 day shipping and they sent it ground so going to be atleast a week. Customer service said its a glitch in their new website. Incredibly frustrating. 

4 minutes ago, PuttingOnAirs said:

Selected 2 day shipping and they sent it ground so going to be atleast a week. Customer service said its a glitch in their new website. Incredibly frustrating. 

I had something similar happen to me, they refunded me my next day air that I paid and sent me two dozen TP5's. Did they offer golf balls or anything to you for the error?

Just now, Bkinder3 said:

I had something similar happen to me, they refunded me my next day air that I paid and sent me two dozen TP5's. Did they offer golf balls or anything to you for the error?

Luckily I didn't pay for shipping (signed up for the free shop runner), but no they did not offer balls or anything just basically said "it left our warehouse its out of our control".  I pushed a bit and asked them if they could at least try to call FedEx since it hadn't left FedEx warehouse yet and told him how unhappy I was with this buying experience and he said "well I could start a return process for you so you could ship them back when you get them"...... Seriously dude?

1 minute ago, PuttingOnAirs said:

Luckily I didn't pay for shipping (signed up for the free shop runner), but no they did not offer balls or anything just basically said "it left our warehouse its out of our control".  I pushed a bit and asked them if they could at least try to call FedEx since it hadn't left FedEx warehouse yet and told him how unhappy I was with this buying experience and he said "well I could start a return process for you so you could ship them back when you get them"...... Seriously dude?

I would call back and try and ask someone else for something. Could just be who you spoke with. Mostly everyone I interacted with was very friendly and accommodating. 

8 minutes ago, Bkinder3 said:

I would call back and try and ask someone else for something. Could just be who you spoke with. Mostly everyone I interacted with was very friendly and accommodating. 

Everyone I have ever spoken with at TM has been great. 

For example, one year I wasn’t happy with the shafts I had in my irons. I called, expressed what I thought and they changed them out at ZERO cost. I will admit, the shafts were on me. They took care of me. Will always remember that. 

My p790’s will be here on Monday. Can’t wait. 

8 minutes ago, lc1342 said:

Everyone I have ever spoken with at TM has been great. 

For example, one year I wasn’t happy with the shafts I had in my irons. I called, expressed what I thought and they changed them out at ZERO cost. I will admit, the shafts were on me. They took care of me. Will always remember that. 

My p790’s will be here on Monday. Can’t wait. 

Maybe I just got a dud.  Won't write them off just yet, but for being my first interaction with TaylorMade at any significant level (first clubs/purchase from them), not a great start