Generation 3 P790 in 2021?

Jaysakic19

On 8/16/2021 at 12:07 PM, jwb10 said:

... My understanding for pre-order is that you'll be first, not last...

Not wanting to drag this out any more, but my understanding of Pre-Order is that you can place an order before the product is actually available.  Your order *should* ship on the day that the product becomes available.  In this case (assuming no parts delay) the Pre-Orders would ship the same day that you could walk into a retail outlet and buy set.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rwhitlock said:

Not wanting to drag this out any more, but my understanding of Pre-Order is that you can place an order before the product is actually available.  Your order *should* ship on the day that the product becomes available.  In this case (assuming no parts delay) the Pre-Orders would ship the same day that you could walk into a retail outlet and buy set.

That's what I believed, too, but I was incorrect. It won't happen twice and I'll warn all my friends that isn't what happens, they go live and you go to the back of the line. But time to move on and i have

• Like 1

After all the talk on these I thought I'd hit the new P790's.  I stopped by my local retail store and hit them back to back with the prior model using the same shaft.  For *me* there was no measurable difference in any of the numbers - launch, ball speed, carry, spin.  They seemed to feel the same as well.  So, if the mood really hits me for these, I'll be looking to find a deal on the 2019 version.  

I may look to compare the 790's to the T100-S and see if there is a noticeable difference in performance and/or feel.

20 hours ago, seth514 said:

I deal with this nonsense all day, everyday with customers. Anything you order; heads, shafts, grips, new release, current stock, etc etc. Custom fit, or worse, OEM orders. Expect it to take 8-10 weeks minimum. Probably longer.

Set your expectations very low, regardless of what the OEM's tell you about delivery eta's. Maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised if it lands on your doorstep early. 

People need to chill. It's just golf clubs, and none of us here make a living swinging em. 

And this is what the world has come too...selling something with false pretenses sucks...regardless of what it is. Us consumers should just shut our mouths and just feel lucky we have things to buy...what? When you sell something, pre-order or not and give a date of delivery and then go back and say nope nevermind we didn't actually have the stuff to sell you is kind of frustrating. My opinion is don't give a customer false hope and be truthful up front. I get it that with how the world is currently with Covid things are crazy with supply but the attitude that the consumer needs to chill out is the wrong approach for a customer service and sales position. Now I also agree that it's golf clubs and not the end of the world we are talking about so yes don't get too frustrated or upset. 

• Thanks 2

I’m huge ping fan and every club in my bag is ping right now. I need to upgrade my irons and I went for a fitting at PGA superstore. I tried T200, ping G425, and the new 790’s. The pings were exactly as I expected and felt and performed like a ping to me. Great club, I’m not sure why people think they feel so different from previous generations. Hit the T200 and absolutely hated them, super harsh feeling in comparison to the other two and performed worse than the other two for me. The 790’s are incredible. I had close but slightly better numbers than the g425’s and they just felt great and looked great as well. I ordered a set yesterday.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, rwhitlock said:

After all the talk on these I thought I'd hit the new P790's.  I stopped by my local retail store and hit them back to back with the prior model using the same shaft.  For *me* there was no measurable difference in any of the numbers - launch, ball speed, carry, spin.  They seemed to feel the same as well.  So, if the mood really hits me for these, I'll be looking to find a deal on the 2019 version.  

I may look to compare the 790's to the T100-S and see if there is a noticeable difference in performance and/or feel.

Massively different in sole and top line, the T100S are waaay thinner all over.  

3 minutes ago, drscott266 said:

Massively different in sole and top line, the T100S are waaay thinner all over.  

Would you say that the 790s compare to the new T200? I tested the T100, T100s, and T200 last week and I love the top line for the T200, really nice for the size of head.

What's in the bag:

Driver: Taylormade M1 8.5 w/ HZRDUS Yellow 6.5

Fairway Wood: Sim Max 3w w/ HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 6.5

Irons: Taylormade P7MC 4-P w/ DG X100

Wedges: Vokey SM9 set (50/54/58) w/ DG S400

Putter: Scotty Mil Spec 

4 hours ago, Brausch24 said:

Would you say that the 790s compare to the new T200? I tested the T100, T100s, and T200 last week and I love the top line for the T200, really nice for the size of head.

I haven't seen them side by side but my understanding is that the T200 should be a bit smaller than the P790. Not sure where it fits in relation to the P770 but that may be the more direct comp on a size basis. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Brausch24 said:

The T200 should be noticeably smaller than the 790, I haven’t seen the bee version of 790 yet but the previous models were that way. My understanding is that the T200 got slimmer while the 790 at least stayed the same if not thicker. The soles are where you will really notice it, 790 are pretty wide. I got identical numbers with the older versions of each, but less jumpers with Titleist. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drscott266 said:

The T200 should be noticeably smaller than the 790, I haven’t seen the bee version of 790 yet but the previous models were that way. My understanding is that the T200 got slimmer while the 790 at least stayed the same if not thicker. The soles are where you will really notice it, 790 are pretty wide. I got identical numbers with the older versions of each, but less jumpers with Titleist. 

Have you hit the new T200s? I'm most worried about the feel of them as I'm likely thinking about either the T200, P790 or P770 for my next set.

I currently play Mizuno HMPs so I'm not a total feel snob, but I do care about it all the same. 

2 hours ago, KParks said:

Have you hit the new T200s? I'm most worried about the feel of them as I'm likely thinking about either the T200, P790 or P770 for my next set.

I currently play Mizuno HMPs so I'm not a total feel snob, but I do care about it all the same. 

I got fit for the new T series and ended up with a combo set of T100S and T200 long irons. Ended up grabbing the lower irons too, as I like my current set enough to try the nee ones. The feel is fine, pretty explosive feeling and results were very consistent. I hit the 770 and thought they felt harsh, like others. I love the feel of ‘19 790 but they are too erratic to trust. Nee T200 side by side with a T100 feel artificial but on their own they are more than fine, and the results don’t lie. 

12 hours ago, KParks said:

what are you hoping to improve by switching? Seems like the HMB’s are pretty good sticks. 

On 8/18/2021 at 2:03 PM, rwhitlock said:

That was pretty much confirmed by TXG as well

5 hours ago, RacineBoxer said:

what are you hoping to improve by switching? Seems like the HMB’s are pretty good sticks. 

New and shiny is new and shiny! Club ho's gotta ho sometimes. 🙂

But being serious, I'm mostly looking for a bit more spin and distance consistency. I feel like I sometimes get some flyers in the HMPs (but of course you get that with all clubs sometimes and I don't know if it is really disproportional). Also, I've been working on my game a good amount in the couple of years (maybe even 3? I've lost track of time in COVID) and so considering a fit/shaft change as well to try and tighten things up (currently in c taper lites and thinking about switching to a Project X or Modus). 

• Haha 1

On 8/20/2021 at 7:37 AM, m_w said:

That was pretty much confirmed by TXG as well

I thought TXG showed that the newer irons do launch higher? The launch angle difference pretty much matched the difference in dynamic loft (Matt had the exact same angle of attack on both, but a negative dynamic lie on the newer clubs, hence higher dynamic loft). But with the lower strikes with the newer clubs, shouldn't the launch angle be lower with the 2021s? Not talking about spin or peak height, but according to their graphic, that's quite a bit of difference in strike height.

A few of the comparisons I've seen pretty much shows the new ones launching about a degree higher or so. Which is significant (PGA and LPGA have about 1 degree difference per iron until their mids where it goes to 2 degrees).

In the end the numbers are all pretty similar but a criticism I've read of the older P790s is that they are actually not all that high launching for the type of iron. 

1542181360_ScreenShot2021-08-21at11_16_17AM.png.1fbefe31e40e3ef9cafba04c13161ef3.png1507897954_ScreenShot2021-08-21at11_20_17AM.png.1b80d69c208a145cfba80779276db518.png1172183927_ScreenShot2021-08-21at10_02_52AM.png.8d005d6a093ef4e51d5f014b58342767.png

• Like 3

Interesting that Lee Whitaker holding both heads in lines makes the comment that the topline of the new ones are thinner than the old ones. He says the older ones were kind of blended in (not as square) so they appeared thinner but they aren't. He prefers the new topline. The new ones have that ridge that squares the top line up.

Some prefer the old one I'm sure, because of the blend pleasing some and not for others.

Another reviewer (Snainton Golf) also said they felt the new one was thinner. From this screenshot (Whitaker) it actually does look thinner.

At address though, with the square vs. radii topline, it can appear thicker. It's probably how it's subjectively perceived by each golfer.

Maybe I'll just bring my calipers to the shop and measure them 😄

1498813749_ScreenShot2021-08-22at6_32_52PM.png.42235612eda3f79a0c6d6bd3a9ed0825.png

Edited by JDIL
  • Like 2

No. But definitely excited to this these.  launch just slightly low, and these look to launch higher. Tested T300s but couldn't handle the extremely low spin for me. Oh, and they were butt ugly.

Almost every test shows it launching higher here is another one, from a Korean channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btOVHdI0rqE&t=612s

1228550004_ScreenShot2021-08-24at12_11_43AM.png.a8281e0e058959155d7c07949bf10f79.png

On 8/24/2021 at 5:15 PM, jdvela55 said:

I was told my custom order would be in my hands no later than 9/16. Ordered on 8/9

my order was

4-PW

$Taper shafts + .5”

Z Grips 

I did a fit at my club around that time and they said $tapers were back ordered until end of October. Hope your info is right. 

3 hours ago, JamesG12 said:

I did a fit at my club around that time and they said $tapers were back ordered until end of October. Hope your info is right. 

I received an email from TM asking if I wanted to change my grips since the ones I chose were on back order. They said they had everything else in stock for my order. Guess I will find out in a few weeks. 

TM Sim 2 9º

Cobra Speedzone 3w
TM Sim 5w

TM 9790 Irons
TM Spider X Putter
Vokey SM8 50º, 54º, 58º

Mine show in production and scheduled to ship Thursday 😬

• Like 1

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80