Generation 3 P790 in 2021?

Jaysakic19

8 minutes ago, JDIL said:

Is the body now forged? I thought it was a cast body and forged face.  But read in a couple places the body is also forged 

The face is forged but the body isn't. 

Taylormade Stealth+
Titleist TSi2 5W
PXG 0317x 22°
PXG Gen3 0311P 4i

PXG Gen4 0311T 5i-Gw
JP Golf Premier Wedge 54° & 58°
Kari Lajosi Damascus LP808

34 minutes ago, KParks said:

Heh, and here I thought I was the only one.

I'm not really dying to replace my irons right now... but if I did I think I'd be most interested in those two (and maybe Srixon ZX5/7).

Would be a nice comparison for sure. I also really dug the Mizuno HMB, which didn’t seem to get a ton of love on this forum. For now, happy with my 585/785 combo though. I think. 

Titleist TSR2 10° Ventus TR Red | Titleist TSI2 3 wood 15° | Callaway UW 19° | Titleist T100 | Taylormade MG3 | Toulon Design Portland

7 hours ago, thedanimal58 said:

Just did the math it will take a total of 20 weeks to get the P770, really frustrating as I can get the P790 almost 2 months faster and they aren't even released. I ordered on June 30th was originally quoted 8/16 now its 11/16 crazy. So all those who are ordering be wary that it will probably shift out exponentially I think this will hurt TM business other manufacturers are way faster so I wonder why they cant get products out the door. I know being a Lefty its already hard to find clubs but this is almost crazy to wait so long for a set that I cant even hit or know I will like.

Have you called TM customer service? I know some custom shafts are what is holding up a lot of orders regardless of manufacturer. Materials are delayed for everyone. I know the project X LX is delayed till November. Just a thought. If you have called and it's the heads well then that sucks.

Nippon 105 seems to have become problematic availability wise for Srixon too. Wanted to order a zx4 4 iron - only stock shaft or modus 120. 

Titleist TSR2 10° Ventus TR Red | Titleist TSI2 3 wood 15° | Callaway UW 19° | Titleist T100 | Taylormade MG3 | Toulon Design Portland

3 hours ago, Danjorams said:

Have you called TM customer service? I know some custom shafts are what is holding up a lot of orders regardless of manufacturer. Materials are delayed for everyone. I know the project X LX is delayed till November. Just a thought. If you have called and it's the heads well then that sucks.

It is the heads now. Don’t expect 770 heads anytime soon. 

TM M6 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S Velocore 
TM GAPR Hi 3 KBS C-Taper Lite
TM 2011 Tour Issue MC 4-PW KBS Tour 120
TM MG2 Nickel 50 and 54 KBS Tour 120

TM MG2 Raw 58 KBS Tour 120
TM Black Copper Soto TP Collection 34in
TM TP5X balls Yellow/Pix

3 hours ago, Highlander 24 said:

Was just on Taylormade Canada site. Tried to order with Nippon 105 shafts was quoted mid December ship date..

I got fitted at TM over the weekend and was between the Nippons and the DG 105s. I hit both really well with the Nippons numbers being a bit better on the monitor. I liked the DG feeling s bit better on the grass though. Fitter said I would be good going either way. The lead times on the Nippons sealed the deal. After reading about VSS Pro feature in the DG shafts when I got home I'm happy I went that route.

• Like 2

I have the 5-6 OG 790 bent to blend....the new club lofts are too wide at the bottom of the bag, so decent speed players may have some larger then desired gapping there. Sure bend them a bit but curious why they went that route when the clubs were gamed by such a variety of players prior...unless they want more separation with the 770.  

They look excellent no doubt, and TM has fittings going on at GG's this weekend. I may visit but only if they also allow to compare to the new P770 as well 🙂

12 hours ago, Danjorams said:

I have spoken to them multiple times, its the 7 iron LZ shafts and the 6 and 7 iron heads. I guess where a lot of people ordered combo sets or they had a batch that didnt meet QC standards. The did send me a few dozen golf balls so that helps some, but at this rate its a waiting game as there nothing they can do. Currently the wait for P770 is December if I called and cancelled and reordered.

• Sad 2

17 hours ago, MagicTurtle said:

What would people's thoughts be on having the whole set a degree or two weaker.

I don't want to hit the ball further. p770 stock lofts would be more ideal but I want more forgiveness so p790 but would the ball just be flying way too high? 

This is what I did. I made mine 2 degrees weaker and soft stepped 1. Like you said I don’t need to hit my 7 iron 200 yard, I also have a slightly lower apex than I would want so this will fix both of these problems. 

9 minutes ago, KParks said:

Since I know a lot of people are interested in addition to myself....

Michael Newton posted a P790 vs T200 video today: 

I ordered the T200 a couple weeks ago and when the videos started dropping on these Tuesday, I was feeling a little sick wishing I'd waited to at least compare. I know this is just one video, but this is very similar results to what I saw between the 2019 versions of both clubs for myself. Not saying others won't feel differently, but I played the 2019 P790s for a whole year and swapped to the T200 after a quick MP-20 MMC experiment and really found myself liking the T200 much better.

I absolutely love my current setup for now, but as a WRX'er, I couldn't resist ordering a set of the new T200s to compare up against my ZX5/ZX7 set. This video just kind of eased any negative thoughts I had about waiting.

• Like 3

Titleist TSR3 9° / Fujikura Ventus Blue w/ Velocore + 6S, 45.25"

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5° 3W / Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6S, 43"

TaylorMade Qi10 18° 5W & 21° 7W/ Mitsubishi Kai'li Blue 72g S

Ping Blueprint-S 5-PW / Project X IO 6.0 110g / Power Spec

Vokey SM10 Nickel 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 58.10 S / Project X IO 6.0 110g

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5 2024 / 34.5"

Titleist ProV1 / Golf Pride MCC+4 Blue/Gray/Red/Orange

1 hour ago, over7par said:

I ordered the T200 a couple weeks ago and when the videos started dropping on these Tuesday, I was feeling a little sick wishing I'd waited to at least compare. I know this is just one video, but this is very similar results to what I saw between the 2019 versions of both clubs for myself. Not saying others won't feel differently, but I played the 2019 P790s for a whole year and swapped to the T200 after a quick MP-20 MMC experiment and really found myself liking the T200 much better.

I absolutely love my current setup for now, but as a WRX'er, I couldn't resist ordering a set of the new T200s to compare up against my ZX5/ZX7 set. This video just kind of eased any negative thoughts I had about waiting.

How did you find the MP20 MMC compared to the p790. I currently play the MP18 MMC. Would the MMC be more like the p770 or p790 in terms of forgiveness?

Pre-ordered my set here in the Uk about 4-5 weeks ago and as per other posts the shafts are the delay if you want Nippons (for example)

I ordered with Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff so they aren’t available until November…..jeez…..

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Max 10.5 Driver/MCA Vanquish 4 Stiff
Titleist TSR2+ 13.0 degree 3 wood/MCA Tensei Pro White Boron 70 Stiff
Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15.0 degree (@ 17) 3 wood/MCA Tensei Pro White Boron 70 Stiff
Ping G430 22.0 degree 4 hybrid/MCA Kai’Li White HY 80 Stiff
Taylormade P790 2021 5-PW irons/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)

Taylormade MG3 50 degree SB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)

Taylormade MG3 54 degree HB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)
Taylormade MG3 58 degree LB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)
Odyssey White Hot OG 7 Bird 34” putter/Stroke Lab double bend shaft
Taylormade TP5x/Titleist Pro V1x ball

Vessel/Cobra Tour bag 2022

26 minutes ago, GolfingIreland said:

How did you find the MP20 MMC compared to the p790. I currently play the MP18 MMC. Would the MMC be more like the p770 or p790 in terms of forgiveness?

MP-20 MMC definitely less forgiving than the P790. The issue I began having with the P790 was purely a preference/sight issue. The shorter irons (I had 5-AW) started really looking like shovels to me and it just affected my focus. Sounds dumb, might be, but that's what I was experiencing.

I tried the P770 in a fitting because I thought that'd be the natural progression, because performance-wise, the P790s were fine. I went from 13.1 to 7.6 HC, so they weren't hurting. That jump was mainly attributed to a putter and wedge fitting, but still, the irons were fine. But I didn't get on with the P770 at all. I really liked the MP-20 MMC and I think if my fitter hadn't been trying to get me a little more distance by lengthening the club an extra 0.5" and throwing me off, I'd might still have them.

That's the long way of getting around to your question. MMC definitely more like the P770 in forgiveness. The P790 to me was almost a cheat code. I could've probably just reshafted them for tighter left to right dispersion and been fine. I don't have the swing speed to get all the "jumpers" that people said they get. They were always pretty good distance-wise for me. It was just my preference for something with a smaller topline.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, over7par said:

MP-20 MMC definitely less forgiving than the P790. The issue I began having with the P790 was purely a preference/sight issue. The shorter irons (I had 5-AW) started really looking like shovels to me and it just affected my focus. Sounds dumb, might be, but that's what I was experiencing.

I tried the P770 in a fitting because I thought that'd be the natural progression, because performance-wise, the P790s were fine. I went from 13.1 to 7.6 HC, so they weren't hurting. That jump was mainly attributed to a putter and wedge fitting, but still, the irons were fine. But I didn't get on with the P770 at all. I really liked the MP-20 MMC and I think if my fitter hadn't been trying to get me a little more distance by lengthening the club an extra 0.5" and throwing me off, I'd might still have them.

That's the long way of getting around to your question. MMC definitely more like the P770 in forgiveness. The P790 to me was almost a cheat code. I could've probably just reshafted them for tighter left to right dispersion and been fine. I don't have the swing speed to get all the "jumpers" that people said they get. They were always pretty good distance-wise for me. It was just my preference for something with a smaller topline.

Thank you. I think p770 in short irons and P790 in long might be what I'll end up with

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GolfingIreland said:

Thank you. I think p770 in short irons and P790 in long might be what I'll end up with

I like it. They're great clubs. Every manufacturer has pretty good stuff out right now. It's all about what you prefer, really.

Hit 'em well!

42 minutes ago, drscott266 said:

That video seems to confirm what I experienced last time I tried both models… the P790 has occasional hot shots. Two of his 5 were 10 yds longer than the other 3. The T200 was within a much tighter circle which happened for me too. Ultimately now that the T200 look slimmer they are winners 

The cap/cover on the back of the T200 was a lazy attempt by Titleist. Is the cap made from metal because the finish isn't a good match with the rest of the head?