Should we hang up the white belt?

I never had a white belt. When they started becoming trendy maybe 10 years ago, I didn't think I had the game or style to pull off that look. More recently, I am seeing mostly middle aged fat hacker guys wearing them, so I really want nothing to do with white belts now. Sort of reminds me of those animal skin-style Brighton belts with the shiny metal tips and medallions that everyone wore in the 1990s and then faded away to be worn by 75 year olds in Florida who haven't gone clothes shopping in years.

Belts match shoes.

When I wear my white shoes, you expect me to wear a brown belt* like some sort of oaf?

*I don't actually own a brown belt.  In order to comply with said "belts match shoes" edict, I'd have to buy a brown belt to go with literally any shoes I own.

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

A white belt definitely shows your age, but if you like it and don’t mind showing your age then keep rocking it. Everyone is allowed their own style.

That said, off the golf course it will be even more out of style. Like most all fashions, golf got the white belt late and held on to it after everyone else was done with it.

• Like 1

Are you kidding me?  I have 3 white belts sitting in my closet.  The black and brown belts bore me as they have been done to death.  I also have a blue, grey yellow belt as well. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

3 hours ago, MelloYello said:

Funny about the shoes. I did the opposite the what you described. For the last several years my Ashworth Cardiff shoes (think Fred Couples' Ecco) become my regular shoe on & off thee course. 

Couldn't imagine playing early rounds without a traditional golf shoe. Gotta the waterproofing and the grip where I'm at. 

Back in 2012....bought a pair of black leather Adidas Adicross shoes for $60.

I have only worn them maybe 3 times golfing....not much inner foot support.

So they are more my casual outing shoes when I wear jeans and a dress shirt to a casual function.

I don't like wearing jeans....so the shoes don't get much use...maybe 4 times a year.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

8 hours ago, KBong said:

I always believe the color of the shoes and belts should match (on & off the course) 

This is the way. 

7 hours ago, sharkiesj said:

White belts? In 2 days I’m more worried about people showing up on the first tee with pink AJ IV’s….

My alarm is set for the drop! 

Edited by MPAndreassi

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

8 hours ago, r3www said:

No to both white belt and pants unless you’re a chick.

I assure you that women like it when men wear different colors. My boys were making fun of me for wearing mint green slacks and both times I got compliments from females and they had to eat their words!  One compliment came from the mythical cart girl of all people!  I've learned that it's all about how you rock it. 

5 minutes ago, x5andr6 said:

I still rock the white belt. I don't really care what others wear. I wear what I like. I couldn't care less if someone doesn't like what I'm wearing. With that said, belts should match the shoes always.

I disagree with the belt matching the shoes thing because if the belt is meant to be the focal point then it shouldn't.  I have, orange, green, sky blue, yellow, pink, etc belts and don't have shoes that match them but I often wear all black and then use the belt as and accent piece and the logo on my hat will often match the color of the belt and I think it looks fantastic.  The point is you have to decide what part of the outfit will be the accent piece and then work off of that.  

I don't wear the white belt any longer.

I tend to actually match my belt to my slacks.  Navy belt with navy slacks right now.  Tan slip on shoes.  I think matching the belt to the shoes wouldn't look right.

With tan shorts I will go brown belt or black belt and compliment whatever color shirt I am wearing.  Most of my golf shoes are white.

With grey shorts I have a grey belt.

I have pairs of brick red, orange and sky blue shorts.  These I sometimes struggle with belt color.  I'll wear the navy with the sky blue but have to watch the shirt color so it will compliment.  Black with the brick red and orange most of the time.

• Haha 1

This may open a can of worms, but I'd rather see someone on the course with a white belt as opposed to jeans, a teeshirt or untucked shirt. I think people's dress has become a bit too lax both on and off the course.

I generally try to match (as closely as possible) the belt to either the bottoms or the top (where the top meets the belt line) so there are two occasions where I wear a white belt

1.) When I have white shorts and don't have a belt to match my top  OR

2.) When I wear a white shirt and don't have a belt to closely match my shorts/pants.

Belt to match the shoes.  I normally wear white shoes, so white belt it is.

Maybe it's from what I'm used to from office and formal dress, but shoes that do no match the belt really looks off and not putogether. (similar to the guys that wear clunky rolex dive/sport watches or chronographs to formal events)

• Like 1

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

On 5/18/2021 at 11:20 AM, DCSerafin said:

or untucked shirt.

A well fitting shirt built to be worn untucked is not the abomination I once thought it was.  I actually look better with an athletic shirt untucked than with my junior beer gut taut in a tucked in shirt.

I wear a tucked in shirt 95% of the time in the office but maybe 75% of the time on the course.  I have also become a big fan of the 1/4 zip and sweater over the polo when playing.  Those aren't getting tucked and they help hide my belly.

Edited by smashdn
  • Like 1

I took Textiles and Clothing in college; very informative class (men were very much the minority).  

Got news for you, colors matter.  They influence how you feel.  Black, greys, dark colors will influence your mood.  Spend some time in a black walled room, then go into one painted white.

Colors on clothes influence how one feels about themselves and how others perceive you.  

I wear bright colors (hot pink, tie dye, etc.) because I wanted to go counter to the dull khaki, grey palate that the majority was wearing from the 90's on.  I love my Boss white belt, its got a nice buckle and well made leather.  Most importantly, it presents a nice contrast to the vivid blue/purple/orange/pink shorts.  Doesn't have to be a white shirt.  

I don't worry about what others wear, it runs counter to my life philosophy (I'm well over 50), "only worry about what I can control."

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Righty to Lefty said:

I assure you that women like it when men wear different colors. My boys were making fun of me for wearing mint green slacks and both times I got compliments from females and they had to eat their words!  One compliment came from the mythical cart girl of all people!  I've learned that it's all about how you rock it. 

True it is about how you rock it but 90% of golfers I see at the course ain’t got the swag or the game to pull it off. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, r3www said:

True it is about how you rock it but 90% of golfers I see at the course ain’t got the swag or the game to pull it off. 

Swag is what made the person buy the clothes in the first place and I don't agree that you have to be able to play  well to dress well as the two are no synonymous. I mean it sounds silly to basically say you have to shoot a certain score before you can wear a white belt.  No one knows what you shot except for maybe the people in your  group so I disagree with that assertion.  And if you have a gut or whatever that shouldn't disqualify you from wearing this or that color. 

I have been on both sides of the coin as I lost 106 pounds over the past 3 years and went from a 48 inch waist to a 36 inch waist and what I found is that most colors simply aren't available once you are a certain size. I was so sick of wearing only black, brown, gray, and navy that I literally went crazy and bought every color in the spectrum and it is fun to stand in the closet and have options on what to wear.  I happen to be a descent player but I would still dress nice even if I wasn't just because I am proud of shedding the weight and keeping it off.  I wear slacks even when I am just going to practice no matter if it is the nicest private course or a city course because I rather enjoy dressing up to go play.   Wear a white belt if you feel like it people...no one knows your story and once again life is too short.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Righty to Lefty said:

Swag is what made the person buy the clothes in the first place and I don't agree that you have to be able to play  well to dress well as the two are no synonymous. I mean it sounds silly to basically say you have to shoot a certain score before you can wear a white belt.  No one knows what you shot except for maybe the people in your  group so I disagree with that assertion.  And if you have a gut or whatever that shouldn't disqualify you from wearing this or that color. 

I have been on both sides of the coin as I lost 106 pounds over the past 3 years and went from a 48 inch waist to a 36 inch waist and what I found is that most colors simply aren't available once you are a certain size. I was so sick of wearing only black, brown, gray, and navy that I literally went crazy and bought every color in the spectrum and it is fun to stand in the closet and have options on what to wear.  I happen to be a descent player but I would still dress nice even if I wasn't just because I am proud of shedding the weight and keeping it off.  I wear slacks even when I am just going to practice no matter if it is the nicest private course or a city course because I rather enjoy dressing up to go play.   Wear a white belt if you feel like it people...no one knows your story and once again life is too short.  

Lol at the end of the day wear people can wear whatever if it makes them happy and they feel good. No one is going to go around and police or enforce it. My op was meant more as a suggestion and a tip. Kinda like darker colors hides baggage better if you get my drift.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2021 at 9:12 AM, MelloYello said:

But I can't help but notice that we're probably at that point where white belts have crossed from being cool to once again being tacky. When 9-of-10 guys all show up with a white belt it seems like maybe the time has come to seize the opportunity and go back to something more neutral. 

From cool to tacky because it's popular? I don't see that connection.

If you think of yourself as a trend-setter, then you're not blazing a trail by wearing a white belt now. But I also don't think a white belt on the golf course is tacky in-and-of-itself.