How much to pay caddy

He will barely make a difference except to maybe keep her calm. Guys a ****** for that money. Find a local and maybe $50. Ive caddied in many state opens for women and men just because. Its fun and I enjoy it and have some local knowledge. Might let them by me lunch but it isn't a living its fun. She's a teenager for god's sake.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gsea said:

He will barely make a difference except to maybe keep her calm. Guys a ****** for that money. Find a local and maybe $50. Ive caddied in many state opens for women and men just because. Its fun and I enjoy it and have some local knowledge. Might let them by me lunch but it isn't a living its fun. She's a teenager for god's sake.

How is he being a ****** for requesting that amount of money for it? If you went to your lawyer who charges $100 an hour and asked if they could help you out on a case for the entire day off-site do you think they should only charge you $100 or $200? "But they are my lawyer and should have some goodwill!" Guess what, that person is a lawyer to probably about 50 other people and would need to take off the entire day just to help you out, and lose out on potentially 6/8/10 hours of work.

• Like 1

Have you asked your daughter her thoughts on whether she wants a caddie?  How far out is this tournament?  If she does want a caddie, I would look for a college golfer who could help her all summer.  Just make sure first time together is before tournament or practice round.

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

20 hours ago, rflores2323 said:

Daughter will be playing in her first USGA girls qualifier.   We wanted to get a caddy but not sure what the cost would be.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  We approached someone and they quoted $500-$600 to caddy which seems very high as my wifey did not approve.  We are in texas if that matters also.  The qualifier is a one day event also.  

Everything else aside, that's already been hashed out - my question would be whether this is your daughter's first time with a caddy?
Having someone tote your sticks for the first time is, well, different. Daunting for some, distracting for others, and downright confusing for others. Heck, she's going to be carrying her own clubs in future events (and likely for some time), so why change things up now?
I mean, if this was a grueling multi-day event, it might be one thing. But being a one-day event, is this even necessary - would there be anything (competitive edge) gained from this?

I kind of surprised how little value some people in this thread give to a caddie and their potential assistance. 

I am interested in if people think there is little value for a junior or just in general?

My $.02. from what I have seen juniors playing with the right caddie makes a very positive difference in their score. This included me caddying for them. My Kids shoot several strokes lower when I play with them and give them advice. 

For me personally playing with the right caddie is also helpful and have had some good fortune to have some great ones over the years that I know saved me a few strokes a round. 

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 1

We have caddies at my club. $80 is the going rate. 

Caddies can be helpful if the personality mixes well with the player, and if the player knows how to use a caddie. I personally wouldn’t recommend trying to make this work in a tournament round for the first time. You could do it as long as you had the caddie only focus on carrying the bag and stepping in only when asked, etc. 

Getting the player/caddie relationship right is complicated and takes trial and error.  Even something as seemingly simple as green reading can get complicated. Does the caddie know the speed with which you intend to hit the putt?  Do they know how you will respond to “hit this one firm”?  Stuff like that. 

Caddies can definitely save you strokes in one very specific way, which is finding wayward shots. And on courses you don’t know, they can give you lines and can tell you which places to avoid, and can help on the greens. Otherwise, it isn’t clear whether they will help or hurt until that trial and error process has been completed. 

13 hours ago, 2bGood said:

I kind of surprised how little value some people in this thread give to a caddie and their potential assistance. 

I am interested in if people think there is little value for a junior or just in general?

My $.02. from what I have seen juniors playing with the right caddie makes a very positive difference in their score. This included me caddying for them. My Kids shoot about several strokes lower when I play with them and give them advice. 

For me personally playing with the right caddie is also helpful and have some good fortune to have some great ones over the years that I know saved me a few strokes a round. 

Sure there is an effect but 5-600 bucks for one round, you better have a lot of dough if you're going to pay that every time that have any event that matters. Would rather give one of their friends 100 bucks and have them hang out with someone they know or enjoy being around. 

13 hours ago, 2bGood said:

My $.02. from what I have seen juniors playing with the right caddie makes a very positive difference in their score. This included me caddying for them. My Kids shoot about several strokes lower when I play with them and give them advice. 

For me personally playing with the right caddie is also helpful and have some good fortune to have some great ones over the years that I know saved me a few strokes a round. 

Dad really hasn't provided that key piece.  Finally said it was her actual coach, but nothing about whether she or the coach thought it was a good idea.  Could be, and nothing wrong with this, Dad knows this is a significant event and thinks this is necessary out of a little extra parental concern so thinks having the coach on the bag would be a great idea.  Maybe watching the NCAAs with all the coach stuff going on (I find it extremely annoying for the college kids to have coaches taking forever helping them on shots and think it should be banned, yes banned) put the thought in his head - certainly understandable.  Maybe the daughter asked.  We just don't know.

I agree, good caddies help - been there and helped me a ton.  

Hope she plays well and whatever she and her parents agree on is, by definition, what's best for them.

Edited by Hawkeye77

Somewhat on point - before my daughter's senior year of HS her coach suggested I take the little bit of certification necessary to enable me to officially be an assistant, mostly so that at sub-state and state meets I could be there for her and he could have more time focusing on the other girls, and be of other general assistance as needed.  Apparently he had mentioned it to my daughter as well and to both of our credit when I brought it up we both agreed it would be a terrible idea, lol.  She didn't want me out there "inside the ropes" and coaching her up between holes, was happy to see her coach every so often just for a smile or quick word of encouragement and that's all she wanted by way of interruptions.  

Still for a minute or two as the coach was asking, I thought it could work and it sounded fun, but I knew better.

I'm like Jerry - I was out, but I was never in.

Edited by Hawkeye77

On 5/28/2021 at 8:09 PM, NJBigFish22 said:

I would approach the coach and offer $200 flat, if she qualifies, $500.  Make it so he has some skin in the game.  The other option is you carry the bag.  This only works if you have a calming influence on your daughter and you don’t get overly excited.

$200 flat for 6 hours of work?  You and your daughter can find another coach.  I think $500 flat and $1000 if she qualifies is more in line with my expectations.  

I guess I have a tough time (in my mind) separating out this type of coaching vs what I’m familiar with. 

When I think of coach’s and coaching I think back to the team sport days and the long term relationships that were built.  My old HS basketball coach plays golf with my dad now. When I join them he’ll always be “coach”. I still have kids (adults now actually) who I coached 20-30 years ago call and want to just chat or get together for a beer or a round of golf. So many kids are like family. I can’t imagine ever charging for doing something related to the game, or any game. 

But, I have to remember, this is a different situation. It’s purely business, and he likely has numerous other people he coaches. So it’s simply a business decision on his part. If that is what day costs him, then he’s trying to recoup his wages. 

It's carrying a bag and it's not rocket science. A family member or someone else she likes (that knows golf) is all she needs. Someone that can help her keep her head in the right space or discuss shot options. Hiring a coach is a recipe for potential problems. 

Edited by BlackDiamondPar5

16 hours ago, 2bGood said:

My $.02. from what I have seen juniors playing with the right caddie makes a very positive difference in their score. This included me caddying for them. My Kids shoot several strokes lower when I play with them and give them advice. 

For me personally playing with the right caddie is also helpful and have had some good fortune to have some great ones over the years that I know saved me a few strokes a round. 

I think there is very, very little value to a 15 year old having a caddie that she is unfamiliar with for 1 round in a USGA qualifier. Aside from the slight benefit of not having to carry/push/pull her clubs I think a caddie she has not met before will be more of a distraction or detrimental in terms of playing shots. People act like courses are some great mystery the first time we play them, like a local caddie is going to open up some secret portal on a few holes. At the USGA qualifier level most club caddies aren’t helping the player. They are great at helping a 12 handicapper get around in 4 hours and keeping them from hitting a 6 iron instead of a 9 iron. A 15 year old that can qualify for the US Junior Am isn’t getting playing help from a club caddie the first time they meet. The coach might be helpful if they get along, are comfortable on the course together and can leave the lesson tee behind. Maybe. 

Will her mental coach, trainer, nutritionist, short game coach and agent be on site, too? I've worked various USGA qualifiers, and 99% of caddies were friends, parents, or brothers and sisters. I doubt very much cash changed hands. I caddied in a US Open Qualifier, that included a practice round, for our assistant pro for free. Things have gone crazy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, caniac6 said:

Will her mental coach, trainer, nutritionist, short game coach and agent be on site, too? I've worked various USGA qualifiers, and 99% of caddies were friends, parents, or brothers and sisters. I doubt very much cash changed hands. I caddied in a US Open Qualifier, that included a practice round, for our assistant pro for free. Things have gone crazy.

Yeah. In high school and college we looped for each other - state am, USGA qualifiers, state match play, etc. Always either had a teammate on the bag or I was on for them. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LeoLeo99 said:

$200 flat for 6 hours of work?  You and your daughter can find another coach.  I think $500 flat and $1000 if she qualifies is more in line with my expectations.  

First of all it isn’t my daughter.  Second the OP thought ir was high, hence why he is asking.  My suggestion was what he could propose as an alternative.  I have no skin in the game, but for $500 a round to help a 15 year old you better be on par with Joe LaCava or Bones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

1 hour ago, LeoLeo99 said:

We each need to price our time as we see fit.  I'm not spending 6 hours caddying at a junior tournament for less than $500 to a thou.  Especially if I was a golf professional. 

I recently read that $1500/week, plus a percentage, is quite common for a PGA Tour caddie. If the player misses the cut, that is two practice rounds, two tournament rounds, plus all the practice time. The caddie is responsible for his food, lodging, and travel. That is well less than $500/day. They would be better off tracking down a Tour caddie than paying your rate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caniac6 said:

I recently read that $1500/week, plus a percentage, is quite common for a PGA Tour caddie. If the player misses the cut, that is two practice rounds, two tournament rounds, plus all the practice time. The caddie is responsible for his food, lodging, and travel. That is well less than $500/day. They would be better off tracking down a Tour caddie than paying your rate.

Lol.  Your ignoring the potential for a $100k paycheck.  I'd be skeptical of any professional working for less than $100 per hour flat rate. 

• Like 1

On 5/29/2021 at 11:47 AM, golfer929 said:

How is he being a ****** for requesting that amount of money for it? If you went to your lawyer who charges $100 an hour and asked if they could help you out on a case for the entire day off-site do you think they should only charge you $100 or $200? "But they are my lawyer and should have some goodwill!" Guess what, that person is a lawyer to probably about 50 other people and would need to take off the entire day just to help you out, and lose out on potentially 6/8/10 hours of work.

Because, he's a coach and not a caddie.
Using your example it would be like calling your lawyer and asking them to help you out at the house on Saturday cutting the grass, and having him quote his hourly lawyer fees for doing non-lawyering work.

I mean it's one thing if his complete response to the OP was, "Look, I have a bunch of lessons scheduled that weekend and I'd be losing $500-600 bucks to carry for your daughter."
But he's a professional coach, not a pro caddie. ... And I'd guess you could find a real caddie for less than that.

16 minutes ago, LeoLeo99 said:

Lol.  Your ignoring the potential for a $100k paycheck.  I'd be skeptical of any professional working for less than $100 per hour flat rate. 

LOL. You're ignoring that that is for the PGA Tour.
Not the European Tour, not the Web.com Tour, not the LPGA Tour, not the Symetra Tour, not the Mackenzie Tour, not the Challenge Tour, not the Asian Tour ... so remind us again what the caddies that can't make it on any of those tours, let alone ones picking up random Amatuer loops, are worth?

1 hour ago, rp4golf said:

LOL. You're ignoring that that is for the PGA Tour.
Not the European Tour, not the Web.com Tour, not the LPGA Tour, not the Symetra Tour, not the Mackenzie Tour, not the Challenge Tour, not the Asian Tour ... so remind us again what the caddies that can't make it on any of those tours, let alone ones picking up random Amatuer loops, are worth?

Are we talking random loopers or PGA professionals?  How far are you going to move the goalposts?  OP said his daughter's coach wanted $500 to loop.  I think that's reasonable if not at the low end of compensation.  You want to pay the coach the same as a Mackenzie Tour looper?  

The job of a caddie is to show up, keep up, and shut up. Also, I've never heard of a junior player having a caddie, except perhaps in match play events where 36 holes a day is possible. 

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

1 hour ago, LeoLeo99 said:

Are we talking random loopers or PGA professionals?  How far are you going to move the goalposts?  OP said his daughter's coach wanted $500 to loop.  I think that's reasonable if not at the low end of compensation.  You want to pay the coach the same as a Mackenzie Tour looper?  

Last I checked we're not talking a PGA professional caddie, and that coach isn't one.
Seems on the high end for a one-day gig for a non-professional looper.