2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

New Netflix docu-series on PGA Tour

jdl

On 2/16/2023 at 9:02 AM, Ole3wiggle said:

I just don't get what the point of the first episode was? Nothing in the episode was intriguing at all. Like if they would have showed more of Mito's story and why him blowing it on the 18th meant more for him than JT coming back to win, it would have showed contrast and made the 18th hole scene way more intense. 

Like if you're going to introduce someone to Professional Golf, who doesn't watch it or isn't a fan, then actually dive into how the PGA TOUR season is laid out and how you need to make cuts to get paid, need to make cuts to make fedexcup points and need fedexcup points to keep your TOUR card or you'll be relegated to the lower Tour where the $ is substantially less. And show the difference! That sets up the plate for the viewer and they can understand moving forward what these guys are actually playing for. Then show some guys who struggle week in & week out vs the guys like JT & Spieth who are comfortably well off and a missed cut isn't as big of a deal. 

Agree.  For people who don't know the workings of the Tour, it would be easy for them to come away with the mindset that every single player with a Tour Card is set financially, making hundreds of thousands or millions every year.  I wish they had picked one guy on the fringe of staying on Tour and followed him (where missed cuts mean losing your card altogether or barely scraping by money-wise). I remember hearing stories about Dale Earnhardt doing dirt track racing and spending almost his entire pay check to make sure his car was decent enough. to give him a chance.  Not placing in the money meant not eating.  I am not saying I condone this behavior (and Dale had  a young family so I definitely don't condone it). I bet there are guys on the fringes of the PGA Tour who operate in a similar manner.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Anser3 said:

Agree.  For people who don't know the workings of the Tour, it would be easy for them to come away with the mindset that every single player with a Tour Card is set financially, making hundreds of thousands or millions every year.  I wish they had picked one guy on the fringe of staying on Tour and followed him (where missed cuts mean losing your card altogether or barely scraping by money-wise). I remember hearing stories about Dale Earnhardt doing dirt track racing and spending almost his entire pay check to make sure his car was decent enough. to give him a chance.  Not placing in the money meant not eating.  I am not saying I condone this behavior (and Dale had  a young family so I definitely don't condone it). I bet there are guys on the fringes of the PGA Tour who operate in a similar manner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anser3 said:

Uhh, what you quoted and responded to was not part of my post.  That apparently was in the post I responded to.  I didn't even know the quote about Brooks S.O. was in there.    My post was about Brooks and baseball.

Uhh, I copied a quote and don't have time to track down the original. Lighten up, you'll live longer. Uhh...

On 2/19/2023 at 5:59 PM, Tpfol said:

Because ultimately the unspoken story is the comparison to LIV golf. Which is why they also talk size of field and 72 holes....

I watch the first few episodes with some golfing buddies over beer, and we got a kick out of how they over explained how everything worked, but also understood why they did it - the show is for a non-golf audience. 

A few non golf fan friends watched it and they both found it really interesting that you can go play and not get paid... 

On 2/16/2023 at 1:53 PM, Mych said:

Also nice to see that some players have fairly "normal" looking wives and houses. I'll just ignore their girlfriends and private jets. 🙂

No kidding.  Brooks' house was just way over the top.

Cobra LTDx LS 9*
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3W
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3H
TaylorMade P-790 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM5 52

Titleist Vokey SM8 56
Titleist Vokey SM7 60
Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2

On 2/18/2023 at 9:43 AM, dcmidnight said:

I struggle to see a second season of this but I guess they are already making it? I dont know. How many times can you teach people what a cut it. But if you're going to do a documentary on the PGA Tour, I cant do another 8 episodes with the same LIV shots of Phil and the same soundbites mixed into every episode - you want to make a LIV documentary, then go make that.

I was one of the hole captains at the Genesis Invitational last weekend and not only did Netflix have a big "Full Swing" booth, there were cameramen following certain groups and filming.  So yeah, I'm betting a second season is coming.

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx LS 9*
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3W
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3H
TaylorMade P-790 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM5 52

Titleist Vokey SM8 56
Titleist Vokey SM7 60
Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2

5 minutes ago, Interpol said:

I was one of the hole captains at the Genesis Invitational last weekend and not only did Netflix have a big "Full Swing" booth, there were cameramen following certain groups and filming.  So yeah, I'm betting a second season is coming.

Very cool. I worked the Genesis last year (Niemann’s win) and didn’t even know they were filming. When I watched the episode I ended up being in a couple of the shots. Maybe the same for you next season!

14 hours ago, MK7Golf21 said:

Brooks struggled before he had those hot couple years in majors so it's nothing new, that's golf.

Define struggled. Koepka won his first major in 2017. In the two previous seasons before that he won nearly 7 million dollars and had his first tour win during that timeframe. And he wasn't struggling in the 2016/17 season before he won the US Open. Plenty of people would have liked to have struggled like that. Was ranked in the top 20 of the OWGR for a great deal of time in those seasons.

image.png.ccd043152e79b2dcbd6e88ae4be6785e.png

Edited by grm24

There are sooo many workout segments. We get it. The players have to stay fit. They also work on their golf game, right? And their gear? And their various businesses and responsibilities outside the ropes? Let's see some of that next season. 

• Like 2

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

12 hours ago, 2bGood said:

I watch the first few episodes with some golfing buddies over beer, and we got a kick out of how they over explained how everything worked, but also understood why they did it - the show is for a non-golf audience. 

A few non golf fan friends watched it and they both found it really interesting that you can go play and not get paid... 

I read a pretty good take on it, that one issue with the show is that it doesn't seem to be for anyone. I have only seen a few episodes so far and am enjoying it, but i understand the critique

My wife watched a couple with me and had 100 questions, so the show doesn't really explain enough to be truly aimed at general audience. Yet as was pointed out above, for serious golf fans, shows like Episode 1 probably don't break any new ground at all. 

I thought the Koepka episode was excellent, however--and that show clearly was more for the serious fans. I mean it doesn't really spend much time telling you that this guy was THE MAN for like 3 years. It kind of glosses over it. For casual fans some kind of Tony Montana "push it to the limits" montage would have been fairly appropriate at the beginning

My wife was watching with me and was like "So, Koepka was really good at one time right?" So it kinda comes across but not really

Anyway, it's definitely a good watch--But i also wonder if they knew who they were making it for

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

12 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

I read a pretty good take on it, that one issue with the show is that it doesn't seem to be for anyone. I have only seen a few episodes so far and am enjoying it, but i understand the critique

My wife watched a couple with me and had 100 questions, so the show doesn't really explain enough to be truly aimed at general audience. Yet as was pointed out above, for serious golf fans, shows like Episode 1 probably don't break any new ground at all. 

I thought the Koepka episode was excellent, however--and that show clearly was more for the serious fans. I mean it doesn't really spend much time telling you that this guy was THE MAN for like 3 years. It kind of glosses over it. For casual fans some kind of Tony Montana "push it to the limits" montage would have been fairly appropriate at the beginning

My wife was watching with me and was like "So, Koepka was really good at one time right?" So it kinda comes across but not really

Anyway, it's definitely a good watch--But i also wonder if they knew who they were making it for

It felt to me like they tried to make it for everyone & ended up making it for no one. Having said that, I watched all episodes & enjoyed it. I also thought the Koepka episode was the best & surprisingly revealing. Also have a new found appreciation for Poulter & like Finau even more than before watching.

13 hours ago, m d g said:

Uhh, I copied a quote and don't have time to track down the original. Lighten up, you'll live longer. Uhh...

I am sorry if this came across poorly.  My concern was that it looked like I made a post of a somewhat sexual nature regarding a player's wife (which I absolutely  did not, and would not, do). I was just confused why the quoted portion was attributed to me when I didn't make the comment.

Edited by Anser3
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, jonsnow said:

It felt to me like they tried to make it for everyone & ended up making it for no one. Having said that, I watched all episodes & enjoyed it. I also thought the Koepka episode was the best & surprisingly revealing. Also have a new found appreciation for Poulter & like Finau even more than before watching.

I am not sure if it's true, but i am sure many viewers will leave the Koepka episode wondering if he left the tour partly because he believed he wasn't good enough to be the guy anymore

I know there's all kinds of stuff they can do with creative editing and reality TV stuff--But man he really came off as like, sad at not being able to do what he used to in that show. You don't usually see that kind of , honesty, i guess is the word from guys who have played at that high a level

Edited by MtlJeff
  • Like 3

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

11 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

I am not sure if it's true, but i am sure many viewers will leave the Koepka episode wondering if he left the tour partly because he believed he wasn't good enough to be the guy anymore

I know there's all kinds of stuff they can do with creative editing and reality TV stuff--But man he really came off as like, sad at not being able to do what he used to in that show. You don't usually see that kind of , honesty, i guess is the word from guys who have played at that high a level

LIV and the money was probably a huge relief for him in the state he was with his game. No way he would turn that down.

• Like 1

I like the show but my main complaint is the flow/timeline they present. I understand they want episodes focused on certain players so it's tough but you don't get any sort of sense as to how the season flows, who is on the rise, etc. It just feels a little disjointed when you know the order these events happened in. 

• Like 3

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15* Devotion HB 75-X
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

1 hour ago, Chrysalis99 said:

To each his own right? I thought it was outstanding but some guys just like Lotta Azz…she’s definitely not that 

For me it’s not necessarily a lotta azz, it’s quality/shape of what’s there. Not a fan of flat… if that’s ur jam, god bless ya. TMI for WRX, but had to clarify. Haha 🍎 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Seen 3 episodes.... learned nothin except how insecure not confident Brooks is, that was surprising thought he would be stubborn confident that was just suckin/injured

Problem is we know all the outcomes and story lines as avid golfers, I mean were even on a golf board lol... so while we're interested we know all the LIV stuff through and through.  Show is prob better for sports fans that dont follow golf...

What made the F1 show so good as I learned so much and didnt know any results of races etc so made it more exciting 🐔

Can't figure how to like my own posts

1 hour ago, TLUBulldogGolf said:

I like the show but my main complaint is the flow/timeline they present. I understand they want episodes focused on certain players so it's tough but you don't get any sort of sense as to how the season flows, who is on the rise, etc. It just feels a little disjointed when you know the order these events happened in. 

Agreed.  If I remember correctly, the first season of Drive to Survive was presented much more in chronological order.

2 hours ago, Anser3 said:

I am sorry if this came across poorly.  My concern was that it looked like I made a post of a somewhat sexual nature regarding a player's wife (which I absolutely  did not, and would not, do). I was just confused why the quoted portion was attributed to me when I didn't make the comment.

No worries...but I think this is a problem with the forum software. If I copy and paste a quote, it should be attributed to the original poster automatically. This should not be difficult in the modern world...