2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

New Netflix docu-series on PGA Tour

jdl

So damn good. Binged watched…have a ton of respect for Joel and Tony after watching.  I got a kick out of how episode 1 was titled “Frenemies”…JT and Jordan are best buds! Just Netflix trying to drum up the drama…either way, this show is so well done and love the perspective behind these players’ lives.  Hope Max Homa is featured on next season…

Kinda funny the Koepka buyers remorse show up right after this airs. Trying to undo the sellout label.

Callaway Rougue ST LS Triple Diamond Tensei Raw First responders TX

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15 degree Ventus TR

Cobra RADSpeed Tour 19 Motore X F1

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Hazard Smoke
New Level 902 PD 5-A Project X Catalyst 6.5 SS2

New Level SPN Milled 53 
Cleveland Tour Rack RTX Zipcore 58 DG GRIND
SWAG Savage AF Raw LA Golf SOHO

Just saw the first episode. Some observations:

JT doesn’t know how to insert a chip card

Fowler saying something along the lines of, “When my friends win, it’s a little bit like I won” legitimately made me laugh out loud 

I knew at least one golfer would work out in a golf shirt. I’m not all that surprised it was Spieth. 
Thought it was interesting that there was no mention of why Phil wasn’t at last year’s PGA. 

• Like 3

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Obviously binge watched the whole thing in a oner- Joel Dahmen is a fantastic guy as is his Mrs the gym scene hilarious - loved the couple of “white claws” helping him decide to continue with US Open qualifying- also his caddie calling him a “boner” and threatening to punch him in the ribs- the WAGS stuff also got a laugh. Jenna contrasted with Meredith need I say more!! Nice how Poulter has a normal (ish) family life- way too many private jets - Collin if you can afford the jet you don’t have to put bootees on the dog to avoid scratching the seats! Anyway would like to have seem Max and some mini -tour or corn ferry slumming it a bit episodes - before the private jets kick in! On the whole pretty good for general viewing my mate who doesn’t play is going to watch it and give me his opinion.

• Like 2

I dislike Jena, big time. She admittedly clawed her way into Brooks' life, and no doubt was a factor in him deciding to take the money grab that is LIV Golf. He needs to cut her loose, double down on his mental, and believe in himself once again. Hey may be able to come back to the PGA, but he isn't gonna do it with Jena in his head and holding him back. I hope he got a good prenup. Hey Brooks, I'll represent you; lemme know. My .02.  

Overall the series was a solid B, but certainly not as good as Drive to Survive.  Dahmen piece was awesome, also liked Fitz coverage, and Finau - a true family man. 

• Like 3

Rogue ST Max 9* (IZ-6 SR)

TSi2 @ 16.5* (Ventus Red 6R, -2g)

TSi2 @ 21* (Motore X F3 7S, -2g, tip'd .5")

818 H1 @ 24* (Diamana S+ 82S, tip'd 1.5")

Pro 223 5-GW (Modus3 115 - S) 

RTX6 54/10, RTX6 59/7 (Modus 115 Wedge - S, 1* flat) 

Queen B6- '24 BX

16 minutes ago, wolverine_man said:

I dislike Jena, big time. She admittedly clawed her way into Brooks' life, and no doubt was a factor in him deciding to take the money grab that is LIV Golf. He needs to cut her loose, double down on his mental, and believe in himself once again. Hey may be able to come back to the PGA, but he isn't gonna do it with Jena in his head and holding him back. I hope he got a good prenup. Hey Brooks, I'll represent you; lemme know. My .02.  

Overall the series was a solid B, but certainly not as good as Drive to Survive.  Dahmen piece was awesome, also liked Fitz coverage, and Finau - a true family man. 

Brooks just got hot for a couple years which is common on the pga tour and the majors really clicked for him during that time which is kind of rare. Scheffler will be the same way in a while. These guys aren't Tiger who won everything even before the pga tour. They are just really good players who had it click for awhile on a hot streak.

Brooks struggled before he had those hot couple years in majors so it's nothing new, that's golf. Instead of panic mode to get back to winning back to back majors, he just needs to keep doing what he has done up to that point and be at peace with how it turns out.

On another note, his house was crazy, looked like Tiger Woods mansion so I guess he does need tons of major win money to live in that. Jenna is happy though, had her huge closet the size of a room filled with all designer clothes.

I have been watching golf for 45 years, last year with all the soap opera drama I quit for the year.  Which was fine.  Plus it kind of coincided with my gen of golfers meandering off into the sunset, LIV, or champions tour.

I watched half of Full Swing, I have enjoyed it thoroughly so far.  Not going to deep into it, but, for me it adds some color, I think tournaments can get boring.   In fact todays players seem a little boring to me, I am getting old but swings have become somewhat similar, vegan diets and $500 gym memberships and scripted workout programs I suppose are progressive, but I do sort of miss weird homemade swings al la Trevino, Couples, VJ, (Rahm def unique tho)  etc......have enjoyed PGA this year now that LIV drama has quieted down.   Rooting for Joel D, seems like a regular guy mentally but with moments of brilliant play, and he plays out of a course that we snuck on to as middle schoolers and quickly played our first ever golf holes before ranger would find us.  Thumbs up for the documentary for me.  

Driver: Wilson Whale

3 wd: Nickent 4DX

5 wd: Adams Faldo Series

7 wd: Warrior Tomahawk

9 wd:  Mastergrip OSC

11 wd: Goldwin 11

Irons 7-pw: Slotline Inertial E-Max

SW: Alien Shot Saver   LW: Hummingbird Air X 70 degree

Putter: Tour Edge T-Balance

Ball: Chromax Titanium

14 hours ago, Tpfol said:

Because ultimately the unspoken story is the comparison to LIV golf. Which is why they also talk size of field and 72 holes....

That's part of it but also trying to show how hard golf can be, i.e. you miss the cut, you don't get paid. 

Would be interesting if they could find a good young player or journeyman type that is fighting for his card and go into that angle a little deeper. Dahmen's a good "non-elite" guy but still comfortably safe on the tour.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/17/2023 at 5:13 AM, Ex Blade User said:

Tony Finau has to be the most likeable guy on the planet. 

I've only seen a couple of episodes, but have always thought Finau comes off as a really nice person.

I would put Scheffler right there as well. Lots of money but doesn't come off as flashy and manages to be humble...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, philly2kuk said:

Just finished episode two (don’t have much free time 😆). As a golfer and golf fan I’m finding it pretty “meh”. 

My wife, who watches the masters because “it’s pretty” and watched the open as it was at St Andrews (where I went to uni and where we holiday regularly), is enjoying it. That sums this up for me, it’s designed to pull in those that know little about professional golf.

agreed but the Finau and Theegalo episodes are better 

22 hours ago, philly2kuk said:

Just finished episode two (don’t have much free time 😆). As a golfer and golf fan I’m finding it pretty “meh”. 

My wife, who watches the masters because “it’s pretty” and watched the open as it was at St Andrews (where I went to uni and where we holiday regularly), is enjoying it. That sums this up for me, it’s designed to pull in those that know little about professional golf.

You went to University of St. Andrews? Wow. Yes, that is envy you are smelling right now. I have hear it said St. Andrews is the greatest college town in the world that just happens to have the oldest golf course in the world as well.

On 2/18/2023 at 10:29 AM, Pops99 said:

I know there’s a lot of things to make fun of Pat Perez for but I have to say that listening to a grown man rattle off other guys social media follower numbers off the top of his head was one of the more embarrassing things I’ve watched. 

Did you ever see the video of them on the LIV plane?  PP might have been the biggest dork DB that I have ever seen in that video.  I know he was just being himself, which is the problem. And I agree, when he started rattling off those numbers I thought to myself, "this is a grown man who should be embarrassed by what he is saying" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, PoolPond said:

Did you ever see the video of them on the LIV plane?  PP might have been the biggest dork DB that I have ever seen in that video.  I know he was just being himself, which is the problem. And I agree, when he started rattling off those numbers I thought to myself, "this is a grown man who should be embarrassed by what he is saying" 

We are talking about a man who asked Ashley to marry him. Why would you think there is anything that would embarrass him?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, jonsnow said:

You went to University of St. Andrews? Wow. Yes, that is envy you are smelling right now. I have hear it said St. Andrews is the greatest college town in the world that just happens to have the oldest golf course in the world as well.

It was a fantastic five years and the perk of playing the old course in the ballot weekly for the cost of £110 - £150 a year (to play all six links courses no less) is something I didn’t appreciate at the time. I recommend everyone plays the Old course once, but the new course next door is much better.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Taylormade Rescue Dual TP 19 S300
Taylormade Rescue Dual 22 Stiff
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

Just finished the Finau episode, it was pretty good. This series is boring and I'm struggling to even want to watch the next episode. Boy was this overhyped, I've been patiently waiting since they first announced this show several months ago. The producers might want to watch ESPN 30 for 30 to see how produce a sports doc.

Dahmen and Finau seem like nice guys, but overall, it's been pretty "meh", and I had low expectations going in.  JT seems whiny in a "boo hoo woe is me" when things don't go his way.  I like Jordan.  Appears a genuine guy.  Solid 6/10.

• Like 1

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
S22 51* Zipcore 56* S20 60*
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

I had previously watched the Drive to Survive series about F1 racing, produced by the same group that is making the Full Swing series, and knew what to expect. I found this new series to be pretty good, although missing some depth on some other players,and possibly some excitement as well.  It would have been better to have a few more players shown and more about their practice and preparation especially people like Rory, etc. - instead they only showed snipits of that time.  Plus some of the commentators were on screen more than the players - Amanda R, and Sean F especially (who made them the voice of the PGA?).  Odd that they indicated Brandel C as a 'retired player' instead of adding commentator as well. Overall I thought it was interesting and look forward to next season.

• Like 1

I'm enjoying it through three episodes.  Koepka comes across as sort of the empty dude I always suspected he was.  Not sure why I'm seeing so much hate for his wife here.  Sure, she's probably high maintenance and has a bit of a vacuous, privileged, former beauty queen vibe, but that seems part and parcel for most of these golf WAGs.  She didn't seem particularly sinister, unsupportive or gold digging to me.

I liked seeing Poulter's human side, but it was overall the weakest episode so far.  It should have felt electric given the focus on LIV, but felt pretty stale.

JT and Spieth are the golf bros we all have/know IRL.  Just regular golf dudes who happen to be two of the top 10 players on the planet.  And JT's dad seems like a good dude.

On 2/16/2023 at 9:46 PM, doublepar93 said:

The Fitzpatrick episode is really good. Overall not a bad show, but not quite what I was expecting.

Not sure what has happened to Andrew "Beef" Johnston but he would have been a good one for this show based on entertainment value.  I have only been to one PGA event  (2016 U.S. Open).  Beef and Finau were fantastic with everybody.  When Tony was signing autographs, I backed up a bit to let some kids up to ask him.  Tony looked at me like his dog died.  I think it was just the look he gave but it came across like he was heartbroken I didn't want anything signed by him.

Not just Beef and Tony were great.  Phil was absolutely awesome with everybody as was Bubba Watson.  Keegan Bradley, Jordan Spieth, Jim Furyk, and Smiley Kaufman were also very engaging and polite with everybody.  David Toms looked like he couldn't be bothered until somebody called him over.  I never cared for Dustin Johnson before the U.S. Open.  Still don't  (lying to kids about signing and then making every effort to avoid it isn't cool-- if you don't want to sign, just be upfront about it). 

As for the Full Swing, I didn't mind it.   I have found Brooks completely insufferable for some time and that didn't change from the show.  Tony is every bit as good a guy as I have read/heard about as is Scottie Scheffler.   I think the Fitzpatrick part is awesome where he gets out his bin of yardage books. 

Joel Dahmen would be fun  to get paired with at your local muni.  I would like to see him do well going forward.   

Edited by Anser3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Anser3 said:

Not sure what happened to Andrew “Beef” Johnston but he would have been a good one for this show based on entertainment value.  I have only been to one PGA event  (2016 U.S. Open).  Beef and Finau were fantastic with everybody.  When Tony was signing autographs, I backed up a bit to let some kids up to ask him.  Tony looked at me like his dog died.  I think it was just the look he gave but it came across like he was heartbroken I didn't want anything signed by him.

Not just Beef and Tony were great.  Phil was absolutely awesome with everybody as was Bubba Watson.  Keegan Bradley, Jordan Spieth, Jim Furyk, and Smiley Kaufman were also very engaging and polite with everybody.  David Toms looked like he couldn't be bothered until somebody called him over.  I never cared for Dustin Johnson before the U.S. Open.  Still don't  (lying to kids about signing and then making every effort to avoid it isn't cool-- if you don't want to sign, just be upfront about it). 

As for the Full Swing, I didn't mind it.   I have found Brooks completely insufferable for some time and that didn't change from the show.  Tony is every bit as good a guy as I have read/heard about as is Scottie Scheffler.   I think the Fitzpatrick part is awesome where he gets out his bin of yardage books. 

Joel Dahmen would be fun  to get paired with at your local muni.  I would like to see him do well going forward.   

I’d laugh every time I saw the Arby’s logo. Classic.

D8EAE28F-3E2C-4CBC-B81F-BC957C9AB64B.webp

On 2/16/2023 at 1:58 PM, Murphy76 said:

Brooks needs to get some professional mental help.  It seems like he has -zero- personal identity outside of golf.  

It seemed like Jenna was more concerned about showing off T&A than anything else.  

Both came off as being shallow and sad.  

Pick up a book.

It has struck me for a long time that Brooks is bitter he didn't make it in baseball.  I believe it was  a Golf Digest article several years ago, but I recall reading something along the lines of Brooks not even liking golf that much.  He is is just excellent at it and it got him further than he would have made it playing baseball. They touch on baseball briefly in the show.