2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

New Netflix docu-series on PGA Tour

jdl

19 minutes ago, babyfade said:

Already loved Joel after the video a few years back, where he had fun with his buddies on his home course. I think he got kicked out of the club after the video. Can‘t find it though? Does anyone know where to find it? 

Vice golf with Kisner? That was before the annoying barstool it ain't no hobby skit.

24 minutes ago, J_Tizzle said:

Thats how my prenup is structured.  All stuff pre marriage is mine, and everything gained during marriage is "martial assets" which everyone is inclined to 50/50, pending of course if you have a prenup and then its however the prenup is structured, so she could have like an "allowance" if they get divorced since he's obviously the breadwinner, for example.  Impossible to know outside of seeing any type of legal document.  If one exists. 

Are "martial assets" the ones you fight over?

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, jordan2240 said:

If this series is aimed at non-golfers, I don't think there is much that will hold their interest.  If it's aimed at golfers, I think most will be disappointed with the lack of new insights.  

This is the most confusing piece to me.  I have only watched a couple episodes so far but i can't tell if they are trying to get non golfers to watch this or if this is red meat for golfers.  Obviously anyone on this forum is going to watch it.  But I can't see non golfers being at all interested in what's going on here.  Fortunately for the producers, they had the LIV angle to play, otherwise it would be even more uninteresting.  And even with that, non golfers don't care.

My other thought is that maybe golf just isn't an interesting enough sport/not enough characters to hook casual viewers into a series like this.  I've not seen the F1 series but it sounds like even non F1 fans loved it.

I binged it since we're dropping Netflix at the end of the month. Overall I think it was okay. It sorta became background viewing for me pretty quickly though. It just wasn't that engaging. 

Thinking back it is sort of obvious that they only had footage from a handful of events and they built all the narratives around those. At least most of them were majors.  

• Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

38 minutes ago, jonsnow said:

Are "martial assets" the ones you fight over?

Thats my understanding of the situation but hopefully I never have to go through it!

So like if you have $100k in investments before you're married, then over the course of the marriage it becomes $500k, then the $400k is the "marital asset" that both have 50/50 claim to.  Once again, not a lawyer at all.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

1 hour ago, babyfade said:

Already loved Joel after the video a few years back, where he had fun with his buddies on his home course. I think he got kicked out of the club after the video. Can‘t find it though? Does anyone know where to find it? 

Wasn't it Kisner that got in trouble from a video?

26 minutes ago, anw79 said:

This is the most confusing piece to me.  I have only watched a couple episodes so far but i can't tell if they are trying to get non golfers to watch this or if this is red meat for golfers.  Obviously anyone on this forum is going to watch it.  But I can't see non golfers being at all interested in what's going on here.  Fortunately for the producers, they had the LIV angle to play, otherwise it would be even more uninteresting.  And even with that, non golfers don't care.

My other thought is that maybe golf just isn't an interesting enough sport/not enough characters to hook casual viewers into a series like this.  I've not seen the F1 series but it sounds like even non F1 fans loved it.

Exactly I said earlier in the thread non golfers will find this boring. 

I've actually told 2 of my non golfer colleagues about this show just for small water cooler talk and both it made it clear they have no interest in it.

8 minutes ago, J_Tizzle said:

Thats my understanding of the situation but hopefully I never have to go through it!

So like if you have $100k in investments before you're married, then over the course of the marriage it becomes $500k, then the $400k is the "marital asset" that both have 50/50 claim to.  Once again, not a lawyer at all.

yea I think even then the amount of years being married plays a part, again I'm not expert but I know people who have got divorced. For Bruce, he did get the Saudi money after being married, right, so not sure how that would go down tbh. Like if they were newly weds, I don't know how much of that she would be entitled to.

2 hours ago, anw79 said:

If they hadn't had the LIV angle, it would just be a series of profile pieces of specific golfers, most of which revealed very little.  I think there is plenty of inside stuff that would make for some juicy content, but the golfers and tour are just too protective of their product.

As for the F1 series, I am not a race fan and didn't even really know what F1 was, but I started to watch it when I saw people talking about how much they anticipated 'Full Swing' because it was made by the same people who made the 'great' 'Drive to Survive'.  I found the F1 series far more interesting than this golf series.

16 minutes ago, jordan2240 said:

If they hadn't had the LIV angle, it would just be a series of profile pieces of specific golfers, most of which revealed very little.  I think there is plenty of inside stuff that would make for some juicy content, but the golfers and tour are just too protective of their product.

As for the F1 series, I am not a race fan and didn't even really know what F1 was, but I started to watch it when I saw people talking about how much they anticipated 'Full Swing' because it was made by the same people who made the 'great' 'Drive to Survive'.  I found the F1 series far more interesting than this golf series.

I think this distinction is critical.

People who really follow F1 immediately see all the false drama created in the editing suite to create that show. We golfers immediately see all the holes in the golf version. That's the nature of the beast. 

As far as I can remember, though, the F1 series doesn't keep going back to the same races over and over again the way the golf series does. 

• Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

34 minutes ago, me05501 said:

People who really follow F1 immediately see all the false drama created in the editing suite to create that show.

From what I've read, there were definitely some exaggerations of conflict between drivers, but given nearly all of the drivers continue to participate in the series, as well as many of the team principles, I can't imagine there isn't at least some essence of truth in much of what is being broadcast.  I recently finished that series, and they do often repeat races, but given each driver has a different experience in them, I don't think that was a problem.  Likewise for the golf.  Repeating the tournaments with different perspectives wasn't the issue as much as the lack of any real inside-the-ropes insights.  I was hoping for some access to what goes on during a tournament other than what we see in the typical broadcast, and I didn't feel they presented it.  Best drama was Poulter tossing his clubs when he didn't make the U.S. Open.

• Like 2

I was hoping to see a collection Poulter's exotic cars.

Didn't know he had what 5 kids I think it was?

And Tony Finau is the real deal, I know some guys here in Utah that have golfed with him

and they all say he's really that nice and personable.

If there is a season 2,maybe do an episode of someone from the Champions Tour like Jimenez or Goydos.

3 minutes ago, darpar1 said:

I was hoping to see a collection Poulter's exotic cars.

Didn't know he had what 5 kids I think it was?

And Tony Finau is the real deal, I know some guys here in Utah that have golfed with him

and they all say he's really that nice and personable.

If there is a season 2,maybe do an episode of someone from the Champions Tour like Jimenez or Goydos.

Yea Goydos would really move the needle 😂😂

I watched the first episode. I liked it; however, I felt they were somewhat stuck in between explains some basics and not explaining enough. So it was kind of stuck between being geared toward new fans and avid fans. I'm going to finish the series, I like what they show for the next episodes, just thought they could have explained some things about the Tour better. For example, if you didn't really know anything about the PGA tour, you might think the first tournament is Harbor Town then the PGA. 

• Like 1

On 10/4/2022 at 11:40 AM, Cali_Stinger77 said:

The LIV contracts have some extremely stupid clauses in them. 

• Players required to wear LIV attire when not attending LIV Golf events
  • Players are disallowed from taking any exclusive interviews unless approved by LIV higher-ups
  • Players' requirement to recruit other players to join the tour.

Is it a Golf league or Scientolgy?

• Haha 1

Man, they did Morikawa dirty. It seemed like they were with him for maybe two or three days and couldn't come up with a narrative besides "he's young and good." The editorial choices seemed to want to make him the counter to the Finau feel good story, which isn't very fair. Dude just wanted his glove to fit.

And he was right to nix that hideous olive green pants and floral pink shirt combo. That's what a room full of Adidas people came up with?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Odyssey White Hot Versa #1

Finally watched the last episodes. 

I enjoyed it ... but it's because I'm a goIf nerd. 

Takeaway is I don't think this will really set out to accomplish what they may have wanted. With the exception of Joel Dahmen and Tony Finau ... no one from an outsider's perspective is particularly interesting. Or presented as such because I think Rory's story is actually pretty cool. 

YJS and JT just come off as a couple frat boys without a ton of substance. Bruce comes across as "Poor me" while crying in his mansion beside his boat. Poulter acting concerned about money while flying everywhere in private jets. (Though I did come away with a better opinion of him ... as a golf nerd) I like Matt Fitz as a player and his US Open was great ... as a golf nerd. Otherwise, kid of a banker who got to play golf all the time. Again, Tony's bit was great but Collin? Oh yeah, outta Cañada ... not the most compelling. And I LIKE the kid but damn, he's kinda boring. 

I actually appreciated DJ's totally candid segments. Nothing he said was surprising and it's cool that's one of the few to just be basically like "Yeah, Paulina's expensive." 

Dahmen's episode was the best. He comes across as human and interesting and I didn't know of his struggles. He showed real emotion and I cared. And even Rory - just made me bummed again that he didn't win. It did paint Cam in a crappy light and probably deserved - "Here to win tournaments." But were ya? 

I think digging more into the human stories would have been better. DJ actually does have a great background to explore. Despite my well-known hype for Max; he's got a rad story and I was bummed there wasn't more of him. Just a kid from the Valley! Rickie's got a cool background too. Coulda done more with him. 

Aside from the handful of good stories - Dahmen, Finau - it was just a bunch of rich guys talking from their mansions and private jets and privileged upbringings. 

Edited by aenemated
  • Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

1 hour ago, aenemated said:

Finally watched the last episodes. 

I enjoyed it ... but it's because I'm a goIf nerd. 

Takeaway is I don't think this will really set out to accomplish what they may have wanted. With the exception of Joel Dahmen and Tony Finau ... no one from an outsider's perspective is particularly interesting. Or presented as such because I think Rory's story is actually pretty cool. 

YJS and JT just come off as a couple frat boys without a ton of substance. Bruce comes across as "Poor me" while crying in his mansion beside his boat. Poulter acting concerned about money while flying everywhere in private jets. (Though I did come away with a better opinion of him ... as a golf nerd) I like Matt Fitz as a player and his US Open was great ... as a golf nerd. Otherwise, kid of a banker who got to play golf all the time. Again, Tony's bit was great but Collin? Oh yeah, outta Cañada ... not the most compelling. And I LIKE the kid but damn, he's kinda boring. 

I actually appreciated DJ's totally candid segments. Nothing he said was surprising and it's cool that's one of the few to just be basically like "Yeah, Paulina's expensive." 

Dahmen's episode was the best. He comes across as human and interesting and I didn't know of his struggles. He showed real emotion and I cared. And even Rory - just made me bummed again that he didn't win. It did paint Cam in a crappy light and probably deserved - "Here to win tournaments." But were ya? 

I think digging more into the human stories would have been better. DJ actually does have a great background to explore. Despite my well-known hype for Max; he's got a rad story and I was bummed there wasn't more of him. Just a kid from the Valley! Rickie's got a cool background too. Coulda done more with him. 

Aside from the handful of good stories - Dahmen, Finau - it was just a bunch of rich guys talking from their mansions and private jets and privileged upbringings. 

DJ came off pretty good all things considered, him laughing at that dancing meme was great.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, capking said:

DJ came off pretty good all things considered, him laughing at that dancing meme was great.

He's got the personality of an Idaho potato but him being like "I made my legacy on the PGA Tour and I'm cool with it" ... I can respect that. 

I wonder with that guy if having - pound for pound - the greatest performing athlete ever as your father in law had some amount of affect. Like "You're pretty good but you'll never be great - shut it down, kid." The whole "wasn't my decision" thing. All the jokes about Paulina aside; there're plenty of expensive chicks. (See - Bruce's girl. That one's gonna cost him A LOT probably sooner than later. Man, that dude's a mess).

But they ain't all the daughter of Wayne freakin Gretzky. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept