New Netflix docu-series on PGA Tour

jdl

1 hour ago, Fairways_and_Greens said:

First episode is free:

First ep is everything I have wanted. Looks like it's going to be a crazy ride.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 9* w/Ventus TR Blue 60

Callaway Epic Speed 15* w/Ventus Red 70

Taylormade Stealth Plus 19* w/Ventus TR Blue 80

Titleist TSR2 21* w/Tour AD-UB 80

5-PW ZX7 w/LAGP L Series

Callaway Jaws Raw 50* S Grind

Titleist Vokey SM9 54* S Grind 

Titleist Vokey SM9 60* T 

Artisan 0127 w/ LAGP TPZ 105

I admit it was definitely better than I expected. Couple quick thoughts as I watched it though.

1 - What makes DTS so easy to follow is that its chronological. End of last season, off season news, team changes, preseason testing, Race 1, Race 2..etc. I wonder about this format. And there's no date label or attempt to tell people when the tournament actually was that you're watching. I get that its going to be overly produced to show the most drama and tell the biggest story that they can make so I'm not sure its bad just...not sure.

2 - I realize "we" are not necessarily the target audience but I have been sick of LIV talk for a good 12 months now. If every episode turns into a referendum on Ian Poulter or is sprinkled with LIV talk, I wonder if I'll keep watching. Again - not sure.

Overall though, not bad.

• Like 2

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

This dude is not a fan.....🤣

https://sports.yahoo.com/netflixs-full-swing-unappetising-tv-100000078.html

In that spirit, and as a golf agnostic, let me say this: Netflix’s new series Full Swing aims to do for golf what Drive To Survive did for Formula One... but shanks it horribly off the tee, into a pond, tries to roll its trousers up and hit the ball out of the pond, falls over in the pond, gets into difficulty, needs rescuing by a frogman, eventually catches Weil’s disease and suffers massive organ failure and dies, horribly, propped up on an uncomfortable chintz banquette in a clubhouse being yelled at by a double-glazing salesman about how many miles to a gallon he gets in the Audi.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

1 - What makes DTS so easy to follow is that its chronological. End of last season, off season news, team changes, preseason testing, Race 1, Race 2..etc. I wonder about this format. And there's no date label or attempt to tell people when the tournament actually was that you're watching. I get that its going to be overly produced to show the most drama and tell the biggest story that they can make so I'm not sure its bad just...not sure.

Are we watching the same show? DTS is rarely chronological and jumps back and forth quite a bit. One episode may be a deep dive on a team, the next a deep dive on a specific driver, or a team principal. Another episode is about what it's like being a rookie or a driver on the hot seat. The season itself is chronological, but each episode itself may loop back or jump in front of the episodes that precede or follow. It's one of the features of the show I like best. Each episode has a theme and the timeline is flexible to flush out that theme. The show would be an absolute snooze fest if it was simply a chronological rehash of who won each event the prior season. 

• Like 3

Its still *relatively* chronological - sorry I'm not here to nitpick each episode. 

3 minutes ago, Dutch1008 said:

The season itself is chronological, but each episode itself may loop back or jump in front of the episodes that precede or follow.

Fine - you got me.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

11 hours ago, jdl said:

This dude is not a fan.....🤣

https://sports.yahoo.com/netflixs-full-swing-unappetising-tv-100000078.html

In that spirit, and as a golf agnostic, let me say this: Netflix’s new series Full Swing aims to do for golf what Drive To Survive did for Formula One... but shanks it horribly off the tee, into a pond, tries to roll its trousers up and hit the ball out of the pond, falls over in the pond, gets into difficulty, needs rescuing by a frogman, eventually catches Weil’s disease and suffers massive organ failure and dies, horribly, propped up on an uncomfortable chintz banquette in a clubhouse being yelled at by a double-glazing salesman about how many miles to a gallon he gets in the Audi.

I’m a massive golf nerd and watcher of golf, listener of golf podcasts, loved DTS, have been looking forward to this show for a looong time, but…

I’m sad to say I agreed with most of that review. And laughed out loud at it. 

My main complaint was getting schooled in the absolute basics of golf scoring and terminology, while not seeing much caddy/player/instructor golf shot or strategy or practice banter. JT’s amazing cut tee shot to the 18th green at South Lake got only a few seconds of air time. Clearly I’m not the target viewer. 

The backstage views of their lives away from golf were mundane - here’s hoping DJ and BK will spice that up in future episodes.

The one bright spot for me was JT’s dad, who got a lot of screen time - he brought a surprising amount of warmth and humanity into the mix. 

In short, I expected more. Regardless, I’ll be watching every episode, and hope it goes uphill from here. 

• Like 1

I really enjoyed it. I think we're going to see a more mundane life from these guys but that's ok because the show is giving a behind the scenes look at their lives and these are golfers, not rock stars. I'd actually think a show of them just practicing all the time, and working on their game, would be super boring. We already have the golf channel for that. I think it's more interesting seeing them in a natural state; cursing, drinking beers, having genuine emotional reactions to more than just golf. It makes them more relatable.

It could actually help guys like DJ and Brooks, or any of the LIV guys who may not have a very positive reputation these days. Maybe it'll provide some context and insight into LIV that we never see or hear from the players themselves, which could be either positive or negative....but whatever it is, it'll definitely be interesting. 

I'm looking forward to binging this starting tomorrow.

Edited by jls667

12 hours ago, TroyB123 said:

My 14 yo, competitive golfing son watched with me and kept saying how amazing this was.   He and his golf friends are all pretty hyped about the series.  It should do well with the young golfers who mostly watch the YouTubers based on my very small sample size!

This is the target audience and I'm honestly very interested in how he likes the entire series.

As a huge golf fan I know that the show isn't really aimed for me, and that there will be things that irk me, but no one else will know why unless they follow golf as closely as I do.

SPOILERS BELOW

Spoiler

(like starting at harbour town? why? they act like its a huge tournament but that's the week everyone takes a breath of air and relaxes after the Masters) (Also this didn't feel like a pilot episode, I feel like this should've been episode 2 or 3, but they moved it up for some reason and had to add in what a par and birdie was after the fact)

With that being said, tons of tiny snippets of information that I loved, JT's dad carried the episode, and I hope we get to see those tournaments again from some other perspectives.

Spoiler

Tough to try and play out this JT vs. Spieth thing when they didnt go head to head in any tournaments last year.

Edited by dmecca2

Looking forward to watching it but Koepka’s all serious “it’s win or go home out here” bs blah blah in the preview video released last week was laughable. 

No, Brooks. It’s actually ..

“make the cut or go home out here” OR

“just make the top 20 and win $100k plus or top 10 and make a quarter million or top 5 and make $1M or win and make $2M plus” OR

”you just have to be “cool” or relevant on social media, mostly despite how you play, and still make millions In endorsements every year”

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

10 minutes ago, Rosco1216 said:

Looking forward to watching it but Koepka’s all serious “it’s win or go home out here” bs blah blah in the preview video released last week was laughable. 

No, Brooks. It’s actually ..

“make the cut or go home out here” OR

“just make the top 20 and win $100k plus or top 10 and make a quarter million or top 5 and make $1M or win and make $2M plus” OR

”you just have to be “cool” or relevant on social media, mostly despite how you play, and still make millions In endorsements every year”

I think originally they were supposed to start the series out with Brooks in Episode 1 but he was so forlorn about the state of his golf game I guess it wouldn't have been a good start. So they went with the more lighthearted and fun Spieth/JT route. 

And supposedly there is an interview with Brooks in the Bahamas that is going to generate memes. I think the Brooks content is going to be good, fingers crossed. 

Watched the 1st episode and enjoyed it. Probably not the best choice for an opening episode. JT winning the PGA should really be a mid season highlight. However, I understand why they'd want to lead the series off with a couple well known players. DTS did a similar thing with Daniel Riccardo. 

Regardless, season one was never going to be perfect. They have to figure a way to attract and and educate newbies while also including enough "inside baseball" to make the diehards happy. That's not an easy concept to balance. 

Good, not great start. Still excited to watch the rest.   

@dcmidnight you were right about the timeline, they didn't navigate as elegantly as DTS

two episodes in and admittedly it's far exceeded my expectations.

the proper golf pervs among us may struggle to deal with a lot of the very 'surface level' jargon and musings about the sport itself - however the personal backdrop is something rarely encountered in the golf sphere.

loved the juxtapisition of Scottie in his clear as day happy space versus Brooks, the amount pressure he puts on himself and the resulting demons he battles because of that must win mentality. no wonder he jumped ship for a pile of $ - took it while he thought he still could.

almost feel bad for the guy.

the bigger question surrounding him is what he's doing with that not-quite-all-there ignaramous 'Jena'. decent on the eye, sure... but to put a ring on it? now that's really throwing in the towel...

• Haha 3

Driver - Ping G430 LST 9* HZRDUS Smoke Black 60X

3 Wood - TaylorMade Stealth 15* Ventus Blue 80X

Hybrid - Nike VR_S Covert Tour 19* Kuro Kage Silver 80X

Irons 3 to PW - Kyeoi KK CB KBS $-Taper 125X / Black Gloss

Wedge - Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore Black Satin 48/10 DG Spinner

Wedge - Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore Raw Finish 52/10 DG Spinner

Wedge - Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore Black Satin 56/12 DG Spinner

Wedge - Cleveland 588 RTX Black Pearl 60/12 DG Wedge

Putter - Scotty Cameron Tei3 Newport Long Neck Custom Copper Finish              

Ball - Bridgestone Tour B X

Did this same production team do the tennis show as well? 

Not sure how to formulate this into a thought but I think one of the reasons DTS is so good on Netflix is just that the sights/sounds of an F1 race (especially a highlighted/highly edited one) translate really well onto a big screen/4K environment. Not that its necessarily a dig on this show but IMO its definitely a leg up that DTS has.

1 hour ago, mitchie180 said:

two episodes in and admittedly it's far exceeded my expectations.

Couldn't agree more

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

One of the reason DTS is successful, is the “characters” have a lot of or raining and help. You are not going to get as many opportunities in high level racing if you’re terrible with the press and fans.

the dna of racing is a lot more accessible iMO .

this will draw out some more personality though which could be very interesting