New Netflix docu-series on PGA Tour

jdl

9 hours ago, ac6 said:

Watching Break Point right now and I find it entertaining as a tennis fan but the thing I'm constantly wishing for is some more technical stuff or plot points around skill and strategy. Every episode is about "who wants it more", "who has more heart", "who has the greater will", as if strategy and skill don't matter at all. I'm kind of afraid it'll be just the same for Full Swing, which is fine for reeling in casual fans who are just there for the drama but that is going to be feeling shallow for most avid golf fans imo

Appreciate this take. When drive to survive came out I watched the first few episodes but realized it wasn't going to be for me. Having watched F1 since I was around 10 years old, the show brought nothing to the table for me. I also fear that the Full Swing series will likely be the same, only scratching the surface of professional golf and making it much more theatrical about player drama and/or the LIV drama. Hope I'm wrong...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ac6 said:

Watching Break Point right now and I find it entertaining as a tennis fan but the thing I'm constantly wishing for is some more technical stuff or plot points around skill and strategy. Every episode is about "who wants it more", "who has more heart", "who has the greater will", as if strategy and skill don't matter at all. I'm kind of afraid it'll be just the same for Full Swing, which is fine for reeling in casual fans who are just there for the drama but that is going to be feeling shallow for most avid golf fans imo

That’s what bothers me about the talking head shows in all sports these days. They cater to surface level fans and don’t risk getting too in the weeds about how a team or player is having success. Like you said it’s all about how they are so much more disciplined or talented. 

Golf is missing a good show or podcast that gives a deep analysis of the pro game and isn’t afraid to break down the technical aspects rather than defaulting to the results and strokes gained numbers (And if there is one I would love to check it out)

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

NLU 18* DI Ventus Black 10X
Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Vokey SM8 M 50*/Vokey SM4 S 56*/Vokey SM8 T 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35” 
Tour BX S

1 hour ago, Stevens24 said:

I just do not see how the PGA Tour didn't watch and have some editorial control to "protect the brand". Will be shocked if you see someone who isn't on LIV say anything negative about the tour.  You might see a temper tantrum or 2 but if you folow the sport it will be nothing new. 

Netflix doesn’t give anybody editorial control 

Including the PGA Tour

“the PGA Tour, reportedly, won’t have any editorial control over the finished product. That’s according to Dylan Dethier at Golf.com:

“We do not have editorial control,” a Tour spokesperson said. “We will be involved to the extent that Netflix and the producers have the access they need to film at our events. We want them to make a great show, and we all agree the documentary needs to be as authentic as possible.”

http://amp.awfulannouncing.com/golf/pga-tour-announces-promising-list-of-players-involved-in-upcoming-netflix-all-access-docuseries.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kasting333 said:

Golf is missing a good show or podcast that gives a deep analysis of the pro game and isn’t afraid to break down the technical aspects rather than defaulting to the results and strokes gained numbers (And if there is one I would love to check it out)

100% agree but to be fair, I don't expect that from Netflix of all places, and I think it'll still be an interesting casual watch to get a behind the scenes of life on tour. My wife doesn't always enjoy watching sports but loves a good sports documentary so I'm sure Full Swing could be a fun thing for us....and maybe afterward she'll be less likely to just change the channel if there's a golf tournament on TV 😂

• Like 2

On 1/31/2023 at 11:01 AM, bscinstnct said:

Netflix doesn’t give anybody editorial control 

Including the PGA Tour

“the PGA Tour, reportedly, won’t have any editorial control over the finished product. That’s according to Dylan Dethier at Golf.com:

“We do not have editorial control,” a Tour spokesperson said. “We will be involved to the extent that Netflix and the producers have the access they need to film at our events. We want them to make a great show, and we all agree the documentary needs to be as authentic as possible.”

http://amp.awfulannouncing.com/golf/pga-tour-announces-promising-list-of-players-involved-in-upcoming-netflix-all-access-docuseries.html

So no chance they told members of the tour to only paint in a positive light or else..... And teams have the choice to be involved in Drive to Survive or limit their involvement. Because the Tour has NEVER given their players "talking points"

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Stevens24 said:

So no chance they told members of the tour to only paint in a positive light or else..... And teams have the choice to be involved in Drive to Survive or limit their involvement. Because the Tour has NEVER given their players "talking points"

I agree that the tour reminded the players about what would constitute potential breaches of their agreements with the tour.

But, if Rory or Tiger, or any high profile players, say some things that don’t completely tow the party line/drinkin the cool aid, 

Whats the tour gonna do?

Kick Tiger Woods out?

; )

2 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

I agree that the tour reminded the players about what would constitute potential breaches of their agreements with the tour.

But, if Rory or Tiger, or any high profile players, say some things that don’t completely tow the party line/drinkin the cool aid, 

Whats the tour gonna do?

Kick Tiger Woods out?

; )

There are probably 3-5 guys who could say anything. 

• Like 1

Obviously this isn’t meant for golf super fans who already watched all the tournaments in real time. 

Edited by me05501
  • Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

22 hours ago, Stevens24 said:

There are probably 3-5 guys who could say anything. 

The real dirt will come from the guys from The Tour Who Shall Not Be Named. I assume Netfilx spoke with them on camera. 

DJ BK Poults etc

Those guys can say whatever they want 

Edited by bscinstnct

11 minutes ago, jdl said:

Yeah, wonder how much time they'll spend following those guys going forward?

I don't think the tour will have as heavy a hand as some here are assuming. Everyone in sports has seen what Drive to Survive has done for F1's popularity. The guys running the tour may be old and stodgy, but they're not stupid. 

All that said, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the tour made some demands on season 2. "Hey Netflix, did you enjoy your unfettered access last year? If you want to keep the carte blanche conditions, drop Greg's acolytes."  

Learned a lot from inner workings of F1..... but the drivers and even teams openly criticized every thing and everyone even on their own teams.  But were mostly adults and understand it comes from wanting to do better or just being competitive and sometimes hey you tried to kill me out there lol..... but nothing came crashing down, pun, but PGA is hyper sensitive to any negative feedback.

Everything being divided in USA in last 5 years has leaked into golf with PGA and LIV and way too many are way too sensitive about comments against their favored tour.  Way too much butt hurt and so be surprised if show isn't very boring or same as some YouTube video behind the scenes

Can't figure how to like my own posts

52 minutes ago, jdl said:

Yeah, wonder how much time they'll spend following those guys going forward?

Otoh, I’m thinking the Netflix folks will not just let the “others” just pump up their league. 

I’d think they will hit them with some critical takes as well….

Whats it like knowing you used to have millions watching you on global networks ….and now it’s just tiny fraction on YouTube?

How do you handle all the fans who have turned their backs on you and call you a traitor?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dutch1008 said:

I don't think the tour will have as heavy a hand as some here are assuming. Everyone in sports has seen what Drive to Survive has done for F1's popularity. The guys running the tour may be old and stodgy, but they're not stupid. 

All that said, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the tour made some demands on season 2. "Hey Netflix, did you enjoy your unfettered access last year? If you want to keep the carte blanche conditions, drop Greg's acolytes."  

That's not really where I was going, more of the direction the Netflix crew wants to take. They came in trying to cover what pro golf is like and this schism happened right as they get started. I'm sure it's thrown some of their plans off and they may not even know themselves how to handle it. At the least it would require them to shift some resources to different event if they wanted to go deeper in with the LIV guys. It's obviously such a big story they can't ignore it and probably don't want to. But it could detract from some of the other angles/stories they had planned on developing.

Agree the Tour might have some influence in the choices but on the flip side how open and forthcoming would LIV and that side be? Fascinating to watch.

Watched the new trailer last night and Mrs MattyO said she was keen to watch it...should be perfect pre Love Island viewing!!

• Haha 3

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

On 2/3/2023 at 12:23 PM, bscinstnct said:

The real dirt will come from the guys from The Tour Who Shall Not Be Named. I assume Netfilx spoke with them on camera. 

DJ BK Poults etc

Those guys can say whatever they want 

I am interested in this. However, hasn’t it been at least rumored, that LIV has editorial control of any statements from its employees? Are we really going to hear candid stories from LIV players or self-serving statements by their Saudi handlers?

2 hours ago, hunterdog said:

I am interested in this. However, hasn’t it been at least rumored, that LIV has editorial control of any statements from its employees? Are we really going to hear candid stories from LIV players or self-serving statements by their Saudi handlers?

Well. Logic would dictate that the guys who go to liv would have nothing but great things to say about them… and perhaps throw in some criticism of the PGA tour. 

But, nobody has editorial control over what someone is recorded saying in an interview, especially assuming they signed whatever releases Netflix required for them to be on the series. 

It’s like if an NFL player goes off badmouthing the NFL on TV. The NFL can’t tell the tv networks not to air it. Now, the entity can fine and punish the player, of course. 

At least that’s my thinking.

But again, it would be contrary to an liv players interests to join the liv…then badmouth the liv