The 2020/2021 U.S. Ryder Cup team is...

Frankensteins Monster

5 hours ago, iBanesto said:

Great pick up.

Geez I've forgotten about him. He almost won but for a Stuart Appleby 59 at Greenbrier.

I had the right RC but the wrong player. Some way some how Jeff Overton in 2010 qualified on the USA RC points list. Looking back at his 2010 numbers shows he had a damn fine season. 3 second and 2 third place finishes. 

Rickie Fowler was the captains pick that made the RC team that year with no PGA Tour wins to his credit. Tip of the cap to @VNutz for the correct info.

https://images.pgalinks.com/vmc/pressReleases/RC_FinalPointsList.pdf

Edit: Never realized how bad the back issues Overton had (life threatening spine infection after "routine" herniated disc surgery) that forced him from playing professional golf. Damn. Better times linked below. Bubba's reaction after Overton's was way over the top trying to hard LOL!

Edited by grm24

3 hours ago, grm24 said:

I had the right RC but the wrong player. Some way some how Jeff Overton in 2010 qualified on the USA RC points list. Looking back at his 2010 numbers shows he had a damn fine season. 3 second and 2 third place finishes. 

Rickie Fowler was the captains pick that made the RC team that year with no PGA Tour wins to his credit. Tip of the cap to @VNutz for the correct info.

https://images.pgalinks.com/vmc/pressReleases/RC_FinalPointsList.pdf

Edit: Never realized how bad the back issues Overton had (life threatening spine infection after "routine" herniated disc surgery) that forced him from playing professional golf. Damn. Better times linked below. Bubba's reaction after Overton's was way over the top trying to hard LOL!

Funnily I read about Fowler's 0 PGA Tour wins prior to the 2010 Ryder Cup on Wikipedia after you told me about Overton.

Berger could be a good pick. Scheffler over Reed was a bad move imo. It also takes a lot of excitement away from the event. 

• Like 1

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

NLU 18* DI Ventus Black 10X
Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Vokey SM8 M 50*/Vokey SM4 S 56*/Vokey SM8 T 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35” 
Tour BX S

I've come around to thinking it was smart to leave Reed off the team.  As pointed out, Captain America was amazing, but he's not been that guy since and he has been more trouble than an asset.

I think Na would have been a good choice because he's red hot, and Kiz because of his match play record.  WAYYYY too many people looking at the wrong stats, like distance and previous record at WS.  Match play record is about 1000 times more important.  It's a different game, and for whatever reasons Kiz is good at it.

The US also has to figure out how to develop more team spirit.  It just seems to come naturally to the Euros, probably because they are always the underdog team on paper.  US has tried to relax and bond with ping pong etc., but it hasn't quite worked yet.  Dunno what the answer to that is.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, mikewohlwend said:

I'm not sure how he compares to the Euros. But here's 5 guys stats, 2 made the team and 3 didn't.  Can anyone name them?

1.jpg.ca5736b25673b8013c7b952fffe23464.jpg

2.jpg.6be647998f6d69ee60df89efa7796d83.jpg

3.jpg.01665515bb9b8e7aed88fb3670c1309b.jpg

4.jpg.1327ad4bb3d88e06ddd338dff5c8e232.jpg

5.jpg.7f690e3522c163b856acd318d9f442e9.jpg

So how 'bout them answers? #4 & 5 are out to me. Too wild off the tee. #4 is Kiz? Decent putter but below average everywhere else.

Sticker discounted it when asked but with Koepkas injury and his durability history there's a good chance he doesn't play. If that's the case Na should be the first alternate. Reed's health is just too big a question mark especially for a course like WS. Na can be fiery player too that adds some spark. 

I was glad to see Scheffler as I called for him last month. Would have taken a flyer on Zalatoris because even though we have RC rookies I was wanting more youth. Our past strategy hasn't worked despite always being better on paper. In the end Stricker didn't take many risks, the picks were in order of ranking except Scheffler. 

Haven't heard anything about the "POD" system that was successful. Wonder if that will be reintroduced or what changes Stricker is planning with the preparation. Pairings seem to be such a huge advantage for the Euros. I know it's a popular pairing but I think Thomas and Speith need to be split. Would love to see Speith with DJ and Thomas with DeChambeau. Would also like to see Finau/Cantlay and Morikawa/Keokpa. No real method except to change up what would be traditional pairings and mix it up. Cant hurt considering our track record. 

14 minutes ago, DanoCanuck said:

Sticker discounted it when asked but with Koepkas injury and his durability history there's a good chance he doesn't play. If that's the case Na should be the first alternate. Reed's health is just too big a question mark especially for a course like WS. Na can be fiery player too that adds some spark. 

There's zero chance Kevin Na will be the replacement if Brooks can't go.  Zero.  

I honestly don't get the obsession with him right now.  Not with a proven entities like Webb or Horschel available or young guys that can crush it like Kokrak or Burns.

Its not an exaggeration that Na would be hitting hybrids/rescues into 4 of these par 4's and 2 of these par 3's.  He's just not a fit for this course in this type of format.  

27 minutes ago, JaNelson38 said:

I honestly don't get the obsession with him right now.  Not with a proven entities like Webb or Horschel available or young guys that can crush it like Kokrak or Burns.

Its not an exaggeration that Na would be hitting hybrids/rescues into 4 of these par 4's and 2 of these par 3's.  He's just not a fit for this course in this type of format.  

I'm going to agree with that and I'm a Na fan myself. But for a course that needs distance Kokrak or Burns like you said would be better, also Kokrak statistically is the better putter anyways. Both Burns and Kokrak do have similar scoring stats but I would personally reward Kokrak with a spot for his season, Burns is young and will get his chance next Ryder Cup for sure. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

On 9/9/2021 at 11:07 AM, WannabePaperTiger said:

Anyone know for sure if Brooks is going to play? 

Bomber course or not if he drops out and they choose Webb over Na it will be hard to convince me the system isn’t stupid and their version of what a team guy just means guys they like. 

Pretty sure Na’s distance is comparable to many of the euros. 

I would have taken Na for no other reason than he can putt. Putting is what almost always wins the RC.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

I'm still not understanding how a guy was named "Captain" despite only winning 3 out of 11 career Ryder Cup matches?

So the awful picks cant be that much of a surprise.

The Euros pick a Captain who you'd like by your side in a bar room brawl

The US picks a Captain because he grew up in Wisconsin

And we wonder why they win all the time??

46 minutes ago, JaNelson38 said:

9 minutes ago, Bad9 said:

I would have taken Na for no other reason than he can putt. Putting is what almost always wins the RC.

Damn, I didn't realize Kokrak and Burns were both in the top 10 for Strokes Gained Putting this year.

10 minutes ago, mikewohlwend said:

Damn, I didn't realize Kokrak and Burns were both in the top 10 for Strokes Gained Putting this year.

Then I would have considered them too. My response was more about it being stated in many posts above the need for bombers when good putters are more of a difference maker in most RC's.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

33 minutes ago, Tpfol said:

I'm still not understanding how a guy was named "Captain" despite only winning 3 out of 11 career Ryder Cup matches?

So the awful picks cant be that much of a surprise.

The Euros pick a Captain who you'd like by your side in a bar room brawl

The US picks a Captain because he grew up in Wisconsin

And we wonder why they win all the time??

11 of the 12 guys on the team are literally the top 11 points earners for the Ryder Cup.  The 12th man finished 14th.

Just who is he supposed to have picked that wasn't 'awful'?  

Stricker got 6 picks because of the uncertainty of the schedule.....but anyone who seriously thought the top 10 in the standings over a 2 year period wouldn't be on the Ryder Cup team is silly.  Performance over the long run still has to have some bearing on selecting a team....otherwise, why have a points system at all?

Edited by JaNelson38
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Bad9 said:

Then I would have considered them too. My response was more about it being stated in many posts above the need for bombers when good putters are more of a difference maker in most RC's.

The way I'm hearing they want to set up Whistling Straits for this event, driving is going to be far, far more important than putting.  They want this course to play like an airlne runway in an effort to use length as an advantage.  The rough will be down in many areas compared to where it was at for the last PGA event.  They want the US bombers to fire away and not be afraid.

Maybe Im mistaken, but a big reason the US didn't do well in Paris is because they couldn't put the ball in the fairway on a course that was made very tight.

5 minutes ago, JaNelson38 said:

11 of the 12 guys on the team are literally the top 11 points earners for the Ryder Cup.  The 12th man finished 14th.

Just who is he supposed to have picked that wasn't 'awful'?  

Stricker got 6 picks because of the uncertainty of the schedule.....but anyone who seriously thought the top 10 in the standings over a 2 year period wouldn't be on the Ryder Cup team is silly.  Performance over the long run still has to have some bearing on selecting a team....otherwise, why have a points system at all?

Not sure you know what literally means?

#11, one of best active RC records, left off team

#13, tied for 3rd highest point total on 2018 US team who was dismantled by Euros

Should be on the team. Period

Seve and Olazabal both played unreal in the Ryder Cup even in years where their game was lost. Leaving off Reed is just unconscionable

As for the point system, who is questioning that? The top 6 make the team. The top 10 arent guaranteed to make it, ask Bubba Watson about that

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, StlEER said:

2021 - 87th in SG putting

On 9/8/2021 at 12:28 PM, Bad9 said:

One of those cases where perception/reputation is not supported by actual facts?

I posted this in another thread so I have to declare Mea Culpa for my post on Na's putting. Rather than just going on what I hear on broadcasts I should have actually looked it up before posting.

1 hour ago, JaNelson38 said:

The way I'm hearing they want to set up Whistling Straits for this event, driving is going to be far, far more important than putting.  They want this course to play like an airlne runway in an effort to use length as an advantage.  The rough will be down in many areas compared to where it was at for the last PGA event.  They want the US bombers to fire away and not be afraid.

Maybe Im mistaken, but a big reason the US didn't do well in Paris is because they couldn't put the ball in the fairway on a course that was made very tight.

Actually wouldn't the US want soft fairways, light rough, and firm greens to make the course favor bombers?  Firm, fast fairways tend to favor ball strikers who are very straight or can work the ball both ways accurately.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JaNelson38 said:

Im not about to make a case for Na based on stats, driving distance, etc because you guys know FAR MORE about that than I do. I'm just saying he's playing great, he's a fiery player and we need some "tude" on this team. Sure Bryson has some moxie and maybe Brooks but we've got a plethora of calm guys when fire might help us more.

• Like 1

I would have chosen Na and then put him up against Poulter, just to watch each of them try to one-up the other when walking their putts in.  By the end of the match, Na would be heading towards the hole before he even hit the putt.  That would be some great TV.

• Haha 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

1 hour ago, Tpfol said:

Not sure you know what literally means?

#11, one of best active RC records, left off team

#13, tied for 3rd highest point total on 2018 US team who was dismantled by Euros

Should be on the team. Period

Seve and Olazabal both played unreal in the Ryder Cup even in years where their game was lost. Leaving off Reed is just unconscionable

As for the point system, who is questioning that? The top 6 make the team. The top 10 arent guaranteed to make it, ask Bubba Watson about that

Reed went 1-2 in 2018 and then whined about his coach and teammates AND he almost died a couple of weeks ago.  Almost.  Died.

Of course he's not on the team.  Too risky.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ShowMe said:

Reed went 1-2 in 2018 and then whined about his coach and teammates AND he almost died a couple of weeks ago.  Almost.  Died.

Of course he's not on the team.  Too risky.

Patrick Reed played last week at the Tour Championship. Last. Week.

Dude flew to Tokyo on a moments notice to represent the USA in the Olympics, because of National pride.

He belongs out there. If guys were held off the team because of whining, then the "we should be paid to play" crew shouldnt have ever laced them up again.

BTW, Won his singles match in 2018, while 7 other Americans lost

6 minutes ago, Tpfol said:

Dude flew to Tokyo on a moments notice to represent the USA in the Olympics, because of National pride.

He belongs out there. If guys were held off the team because of whining, then the "we should be paid to play" crew shouldnt have ever laced them up again.

He played last week and finished 25th out of 30.  His tee-to-green game is not very good right now.  Whistling Straights is a Pete Dye course.  AKA, Target Golf.  Reed is not doing very well at target golf right now.

He won after Europe had already secured the Cup.  He won and then shushed the crowd...but the Cup had already been lost.  Again only caring about his own personal results rather than the team's.

If he really has "National pride," he'll show up and root the team on, like Bubba Watson does.  Let's see if he does.  Then we'll know how much of it is about his love for the country, or if it's all about himself.  I know which one my money's on.

11 hours ago, Tpfol said:

Outside of singles and being paired with YJS as his partner in both the RC & PC Reed has never won with another partner in either competition. In his two team matches with Tiger at the 2018 RC he didn't sniff breaking 80.

I posted this earlier in this thread but since so many people never read previous posts this needs to be repeated. There is zero chance that if Reed made the team he would have been paired with Jordan. That pairing died before the RC in France 2018.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/32172110/the-us-ryder-cup-team-new-look-hopes-eliminating-losing-was-getting-old

In the end, Stricker ended up with the top 10 guys in Ryder Cup points, a system that goes back more than two years. Quibble all you want about Reed, but he is 0-7 in team matches at the Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup without Spieth as his partner.

Chew on that.

Edited by grm24
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, grm24 said:

Outside of singles and being paired with YJS as his partner in both the RC & PC Reed has never won with another partner in either competition. In his two team matches with Tiger at the 2018 RC he didn't sniff breaking 80.

I posted this earlier in this thread but since so many people never read previous posts this needs to be repeated. There is zero chance that if Reed made the team he would have been paired with Jordan. That pairing died before the RC in France 2018.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/32172110/the-us-ryder-cup-team-new-look-hopes-eliminating-losing-was-getting-old

In the end, Stricker ended up with the top 10 guys in Ryder Cup points, a system that goes back more than two years. Quibble all you want about Reed, but he is 0-7 in team matches at the Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup without Spieth as his partner.

Chew on that.

Aren't facts awesome?  Great post!

On 9/10/2021 at 1:29 PM, ShowMe said:

If he really has "National pride," he'll show up and root the team on, like Bubba Watson does.  Let's see if he does.  Then we'll know how much of it is about his love for the country, or if it's all about himself.  I know which one my money's on.

^^^^^ this right here. Pneumonia is serious, wouldn’t wish it on anyone. I’d love to see Patrick cheer on America! 

• Like 1