P Reed not happy about Ryder Cup snub

DrivingChamp

In 2018, Schauffle, Kuchar, and Kisner finished 12, 13, and 14 in the Ryder Cup rankings but didn't get chosen.  Tony Finau, who finished 15th was chosen instead.

I don't recall Schauffle, Kuchar, or Kisner whining about it.

This is how a REAL pro deals with it:

“I gave Jim no reason to pick me,” Kisner said after beating Matt Kuchar of St. Simons Island, Ga., 3 and 2 in the championship match in Austin. “I was not on form to go over there. I know the golf course suited me perfect. Who was he going to take out? Was he going to leave Phil [Mickelson] at home and take Kiz? Nobody is going to do that, right?”

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

6 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

But Sheff improved his OWGR ranking during 2021 where is Reed went the other way.  Scheff also had 8 top tens this year and Reed 6.

If you're willing to say Reed and Scheff are equally on the bubble, what counts more? What someone did years ago or more recently?  If they are still equally on the bubble then what next? Locker room influence?  Reed will lose that one hence you go w/Scheff. 

Like I said before, there's plenty of quantitative data from 2021 that supports the Captains for not selecting Reed.   

Yes, all good points. You say “years ago” but as I said,

Poults, Sergio, Reed, some guys eat this format/event and are proven closers in it. Tiger and Phil we like #1, #2 in the world and they’re stink it up I’m the RC!

Scheff improved from #30 as of last years TC to #21 currently. That’s good but not crushing it.

Reed otoh has maintained a consistent top-10 ranking then gets sick a month and a half ago and you boot him?

All good BD, I just hope this works out and Scheffler plays well. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

There you go…you’re opinion he only plays one pairing. Your opinion he loses.

To get to the level of being consistently ranked in the top-10 on the planet does not come to the faint of heart.

Guy had double pneumonia, then plays 2 weeks in a row. 

Elite pro athletes have an extra gear.

Never heard of the Flu Game?

You mean the pizza delivery food poisoning game?

And please for the love of God, please lets this be the last time Reed and Michael bleeping Jordan are put anywhere in the same zip code of a post. Reed was in intensive care with double pneumonia and lost a significant amount of weight - Jordan ate bad pizza.

Oh and also, since you seem to be pointing out whats opinion and whats not - its your opinion that a guy like Reed has an extra gear.

• Like 3

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

5 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

There you go…you’re opinion he only plays one pairing. Your opinion he loses.

To get to the level of being consistently ranked in the top-10 on the planet does not come to the faint of heart.

Guy had double pneumonia, then plays 2 weeks in a row. 

Elite pro athletes have an extra gear.

Never heard of the Flu Game?

98E0AFE8-3294-478D-B0D5-EBB198202DE5.jpeg

Wait.  What?  You're comparing Patrick Reed to Michael Jordan?  Seriously?

The better comparison is Jordan's flu game to Tiger's winning the US Open with a broken leg, and Tiger wins that comparison going away.  Four days.  Broken leg.  US Open.  Versus one game with the flu.

Patrick Reed is an amateur in comparison.  A rank amateur at that.  Don't let your emotions overcome logic.

8 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

OR …. YJS is good in team play?

This is not good.  This is the second time I've agreed with you.  lol

Just now, dcmidnight said:

You mean the pizza delivery food poisoning game?

And please for the love of God, please lets this be the last time Reed and Michael bleeping Jordan are put anywhere in the same zip code of a post. Reed was in intensive care with double pneumonia and lost a significant amount of weight - Jordan ate bad pizza.

Oh and also, since you seem to be pointing out whats opinion and whats not - its your opinion that a guy like Reed has an extra gear.

Cheers dc ; )

Ya, was pizza and he like puking all night 😱 Reed still played past 2 events in a row, said hes good to go. 

And there’s no question reed has an extra gear. You saw him take down Rory. Not to mention you don’t become too-10 on the planet at something without some afterburners

jet engine GIF

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ShowMe said:

Wait.  What?  You're comparing Patrick Reed to Michael Jordan?  Seriously?

The better comparison is Jordan's flu game to Tiger's winning the US Open with a broken leg, and Tiger wins that comparison going away.  Four days.  Broken leg.  US Open.  Versus one game with the flu.

Patrick Reed is an amateur in comparison.  A rank amateur at that.  Don't let your emotions overcome logic.

🤣

You wouldn’t be trying to explain Tigerrrrr! to me if you had been out here the past 10 years ; )

This threads prolly thinking like,

ShowMe! Don’t get freakin bsc started on Tiger lol

• Haha 2

You mean 5 years ago when he took down Rory? I still dont get this.

Its like people who tell me the Patriots should have kept Cam Newton because he went 15-1 and took his team to the SuperBowl. Whooptydo. If you are throwing bounce passes and cant run out of your own way NOW - I'm not interested.

So honest to God I really do not care one bit about the 2016 Ryder Cup results when it comes to picking the 2021 team.

BTW you keep saying Reed has played two weeks in a row since getting released from the hospital. I know he played the Tour Championship but where else did he play, was he in the field this weekend?

• Like 3

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

2 hours ago, MaineMariner said:

One of the stupidest things about golf fandom is the idea that some players have some special, inherent skill or attribute that makes them a better match play golfer than any other golfer. 

The game has waaaaaay, waaay too much randomness for that to possibly matter. If you're assembling a team for a match play event, just pick the golfers who are playing the best golf. That's going to give you a better chance than poring over match play records from years ago.

It’s definitely not an urban legend, some players are better suited to match play. The European commentators have often spoken as to how Montgomery, Westwood, García and even Poulter putt better in the Ryder Cup. 

It’s different mentally as well, you can play great and loose, or terribly and still win. It’s finding a way to do what you need to do to get the result. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

6 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

You mean 5 years ago when he took down Rory? I still dont get this.

Its like people who tell me the Patriots should have kept Cam Newton because he went 15-1 and took his team to the SuperBowl. Whooptydo. If you are throwing bounce passes and cant run out of your own way NOW - I'm not interested.

So honest to God I really do not care one bit about the 2016 Ryder Cup results when it comes to picking the 2021 team.

BTW you keep saying Reed has played two weeks in a row since getting released from the hospital. I know he played the Tour Championship but where else did he play, was he in the field this weekend?

All good dc. Appreciate your post. 

9 minutes ago, Bye said:

It’s definitely not an urban legend, some players are better suited to match play. The European commentators have often spoken as to how Montgomery, Westwood, García and even Poulter putt better in the Ryder Cup. 

It’s different mentally as well, you can play great and loose, or terribly and still win. It’s finding a way to do what you need to do to get the result. 

Exactly. That’s why I disagree with those who say “I don’t care what he did in past RCs”

You got top guys like TW and Phil who underperform in the RC. Then, you got Sergio, king of the missed putt in stroke play, and kills it in the RC. 

• Like 2

OK, fair enough, then if we're talking about how great he is in match play - he was still just 1-3 in the 2019 Presidents Cup (he beat CT Pan in singles) on the heels of being 1-2 in the 2018 RC.

Or do we then fall back on - remember when he made that putt on Rory 5 years ago?

Look, I maintain that if Reed had shut his yap - and the yaps of his team - and gone out and said hey captain, I understand this was a tough choice, I'm at the range even as we speak and I'm ready to go if you need me. He says that and I 100% believe he is Stricker's first call if Koepka is out.

Edited by dcmidnight
  • Like 3

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

24 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Yes, all good points. You say “years ago” but as I said,

Poults, Sergio, Reed, some guys eat this format/event and are proven closers in it. Tiger and Phil we like #1, #2 in the world and they’re stink it up I’m the RC!

Scheff improved from #30 as of last years TC to #21 currently. That’s good but not crushing it.

Reed otoh has maintained a consistent top-10 ranking then gets sick a month and a half ago and you boot him?

All good BD, I just hope this works out and Scheffler plays well. 

Yeah I'd be pretty comfortable booting him.  It would be based on health concerns and still bouncing back and Scheffs recent performance vs Reeds. Usually people take a few months to get back to full strength after serious illness.  Also if you look at Reed v Scheff in tournaments they both played since ~mid year, Sheff only missed 1 cut vs Reeds 3.  Scheff finished better in every major and generally ahead of Reed in almost every tournament they played.  

I'm a data guy and I know you are as well.  I think you're just weighting older performance data more heavily than I would, thus the difference of opinion. 

image.png.2831f036d48e700ac65c0f780f850bb9.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShowMe said:

This is not good.  This is the second time I've agreed with you.  lol

Yes Spieth is 7-2-2 in TEAM play. His partners are undefeated in singles in those Ryder Cups while he is winless.  Maybe the team wins are more the other two guys?

• Like 2

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

1 hour ago, bscinstnct said:

Cheers dc ; )

Ya, was pizza and he like puking all night 😱 Reed still played past 2 events in a row, said hes good to go. 

And there’s no question reed has an extra gear. You saw him take down Rory. Not to mention you don’t become too-10 on the planet at something without some afterburners

jet engine GIF

Did I slip into a coma for a week?  What 2 events in a row???

Reed timeline.

Played St Jude, hurt ankle

WD Northern Trust

Got pneumonia

WD BMW

Recovery

Played Tour Championship

Missed Captain's pick

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Yeah I'd be pretty comfortable booting him.  It would be based on health concerns and still bouncing back and Scheffs recent performance vs Reeds. Usually people take a few months to get back to full strength after serious illness.  Also if you look at Reed v Scheff in tournaments they both played since ~mid year, Sheff only missed 1 cut vs Reeds 3.  Scheff finished better in every major and generally ahead of Reed in almost every tournament they played.  

I'm a data guy and I know you are as well.  I think you're just weighting older performance data more heavily than I would, thus the difference of opinion. 

Good stuff. I’m not weighing *older performance more heavily. I’m weighing a much longer and larger set of data that kept him a top-10 owgr for 2 seasons. 

Then, I’m factoring his illness certainly impacted his most recent performance.

You don’t mention PRs RC record but he’s a proven performer at an event that it’s been elusive for us to identify great players in. 

I just think if you take all the same player data, except the name “Patrick Reed” and you have a guy picked for the team out of respect for his track record on tour and in the event. 

Like, if it was Spieth? I think Stricker calls him and says,

Jordan, we kept a spot on the jet for ya buddy ; )

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bobfoster said:

Who cares who whines more? No skin off my back. Golf is littered with crybabies. Currently PR BD and BK. But Vijay Singh whined. And Sergio, Bubba Watson, Sabbatini, John Daly, even Tiger and Phil now and then. When they do, they just look childish - never exactly wins them new fans. Or changes anything. 

What would be fun is if, sometime in the future, Reed was the RC Captain, and needed to make tough choices about his picks. And had a couple of players he declined to pick whine about his choices. Wonder how he'd respond?

Being a Captain is a tough, thankless job. You don't get any money for it, and every choice is scrutinized and often complained about. Ignoring the whiners and focusing on the golf is just part of the job.

But to say Patrick Reed would be a cancer to the team unity with Bryson and Koepka on the team is a stretch. Of the Captain picks, still Reed looks like a much better pick than a couple of Captain's picks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Plus Scheff didn't "almost die" a few weeks ago.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Good stuff. I’m not weighing *older performance more heavily. I’m weighing a much longer and larger set of data that kept him a top-10 owgr for 2 seasons. 

Then, I’m factoring his illness certainly impacted his most recent performance.

You don’t mention PRs RC record but he’s a proven performer at an event that it’s been elusive for us to identify great players in. 

I just think if you take all the same player data, except the name “Patrick Reed” and you have a guy picked for the team out of respect for his track record on tour and in the event. 

Like, if it was Spieth? I think Stricker calls him and says,

Jordan, we kept a spot on the jet for ya buddy ; )

Actually I am.  2019 Pres cup was pretty bad for Reed. I also don't recall what he did in the 2018 RC but I don't think it was anything special.  2021 weighs most for me.  Then you add in that he "almost died" a few weeks ago on top of his well reported toxicity as a human and for me he's still an easy pass. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

We've all seen your food photos. You gotta be weighing much larger...

Ha! I do love great decadent  food. But alas our day to day diet is very structured and boring. But it’s good! 

Pleased and proud to say my weight is exactly what it was in my HS Uncle Rico football 🏈 days ; )

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Actually I am.  2019 Pres cup was pretty bad for Reed. I also don't recall what he did in the 2018 RC but I don't think it was anything special.  2021 weighs most for me.  Then you add in that he "almost died" a few weeks ago on top of his well reported toxicity as a human and for me he's still an easy pass. 

I understand your reasoning. I just love the idea of him giving things a little edge!

And he’s gotten things fired up out there at the RC! Nothing wrong with that. 

But ultimately the results of the picks and if we win will be the final arbiter.

1 hour ago, Shilgy said:

Yes Spieth is 7-2-2 in TEAM play. His partners are undefeated in singles in those Ryder Cups while he is winless.  Maybe the team wins are more the other two guys?

Haha, could be but . . . . I think the 2-1-2 record in foursomes, which is really good for an American, tells the tale on him being a good team player. 5-1 in fourball is nothing to sneeze at, still requires some good ham and egging, IMO.

• Like 1

Lets keep this in line -- playing golf for your country at a great course is nice but getting shot at and living in a hole is really putting this event in line.  I will watch I love match play but will consider it to be hmmm what it is..

Driver Taylor SIM 2
3wd ping 425

5wd ping 425
Irons I500 Ping 4 - pw
ping answer 2 sig
58 ping eye-2
54 Jaws 4

2I driving iron Srixon New shaft carbon fiber steel
Titlist 1x

1 hour ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Haha, could be but . . . . I think the 2-1-2 record in foursomes, which is really good for an American, tells the tale on him being a good team player. 5-1 in fourball is nothing to sneeze at, still requires some good ham and egging, IMO.

Fair enough….and I am not suggesting the captains picks were poor.  Mu only issue is folks ragging on a player for being upset he wasn’t picked.  Could he have picked a better way to express his disappointment?  Perhaps. 

Of course if he would have…

Spoken out in an interview folks would have said “ what a whiner”.

Said let me help in any way possible because I love the event so much folks would have said what a backhanded way of saying he should be there….the big whiner.

Said absolutely nothing about the picks folks would have said the poor baby doesn’t care about anyone but himself.  Dammit he should care about not getting picked! 😏

• Like 2

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

30 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

Fair enough….and I am not suggesting the captains picks were poor.  Mu only issue is folks ragging on a player for being upset he wasn’t picked.  Could he have picked a better way to express his disappointment?  Perhaps. 

Of course if he would have…

Spoken out in an interview folks would have said “ what a whiner”.

Said let me help in any way possible because I love the event so much folks would have said what a backhanded way of saying he should be there….the big whiner.

Said absolutely nothing about the picks folks would have said the poor baby doesn’t care about anyone but himself.  Dammit he should care about not getting picked! 😏

I think the whole Twitter thing was a nothing.  "Liking" people who generally seem to support you seems like something he would do on Twitter, if he was doing the liking.  The unliking? Can be taking several ways including contrition (which my money isn't on, lol, but you never know).

He really hasn't said a thing, hard to take after him for that - so seems like he's getting roasted a bit over nothing.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

I think the whole Twitter thing was a nothing.  "Liking" people who generally seem to support you seems like something he would do on Twitter, if he was doing the liking.  The unliking? Can be taking several ways including contrition (which my money isn't on, lol, but you never know).

He really hasn't said a thing, hard to take after him for that - so seems like he's getting roasted a bit over nothing.

He liked tweets that trolled Stricker.  That's why he's getting roasted.

Hey, how about that Justin Rose whining and complaining that he didn't get picked for the Euro team.

Wait.  What?  He didn't whine or complain?  He took it like a professional?  Oh, never mind.

Back to Patrick Reed...  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bye said:

its an interesting take. I always felt these players hid in the anonymity of the group and failed in individual tournaments.  Specifically Monte and Garcia.

Callaway Paradyn 9°
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping g400 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 923 hot metal HL 5-GW
Vokey 50-08 sm8
Vokey 56-08 sm9
Spider Tour 34”